Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,675 members, 7,851,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:36 PM

Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? (1638 Views)

Why Is It Unforgivable To Sin Against The Holy Spirit / What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? / What Are The Unforgivable Sins & How Can We Avoid Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 11:15am On Jun 28, 2020
Hello everyone, now this is a serious issue...

I have about sins that can or might not be forgiven, and that's sins against the holy spirit as i learnt.

Now my main questions is, you committed this sins when you have zero knowledge of their consequences.
Please am asking, is it justifiable?

And another question is, The Bible said if you believe in Jesus Christ, you are saved...

Now someone who have such past sins against the holy spirit but later believe in Jesus and repent, what is his fate....

Because this matter tire person o... I read were it has been stated plainly that these sins against holy spirit will not be forgiven.

Any clergyman should help pls.

Lalasticlala mynd44 OAM4J

Please help, i seriously need help with this and i know alot of others might be ignorant of this
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by yanabasee1(m): 11:22am On Jun 28, 2020
There's no sin that is unforgivable.....

The moment you accept Christ into your life, all sins are washed away.....

Because, when you accept Christ into your life, there are things you will never do and Satan will never has you to his tables, but the temptations will be mighty and you will need only God's grace and wisdom to stay steadfast....
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Holumhidey(m): 11:42am On Jun 28, 2020
Wait!
Righteousness89 dey come
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Righteousness89(m): 11:43am On Jun 28, 2020
The Bible is our Guide....

According to the Scriptures, the unforgivable sin is the sin of Blasphemy against the Holyghost

1 Like

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Origin(f): 11:43am On Jun 28, 2020
Thou shall have only one God...

In all books that has remained the unforgivable sin. When you compare any one or thing or man to God.

Attributing powers of God to any human being.
Callling on any man or thing in prayer.
Praying in other than God's name.
Praying to graven images or idols.

Any other sins he forgives as He sees fit.
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2020
Righteousness89:

According to the Scriptures, the unforgivable sin is the sin of Blasphemy against the Holyghost

What about this ones

And define on a lay man language what you mean by blasphemy for clear understanding

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
Righteousness89:

And killing oneself I think
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 28, 2020
Now you need to understand something here.

The sin against the Holy spirit is blasphemy which is not a sin that occurred before you got born again but a sin committed after you must have been born again and tasted of his wonders. Enjoyed the benefits of a Christian, Preached the gospel and worked extensively for God. Then you now backslide and begin yo speak against the gospel, Christians and Christianity to the same people whom you preached the gospel to in time past. And you begin to live a lifestyle opposite to the Christlike life you were known with before. That is the sin that can never be forgiven also known as blasphemy.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Finallydead: 6:47pm On Jun 28, 2020
Here's an excerpt from a related thread:
Sinning willfully can only be correctly defined in the context of the text.
Also consider how drastic it is that Paul says there is no sacrifice remaining for such a sin and hence no forgiveness except fearful judgement(Heb10:26-27).
Actually, contrary to his aim, @OP picked a text that contravenes eternal security.
So first off, who was Paul referring to? Paul was certainly referring to those who were believers already but we're pressured to abandon faith by persecution from neighbouring Jews, as shown in the preceding verse
Hebrews 10:25[25]Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

The succeeding verses also confirm he referred to believers, the only people who could ever have been sanctified by the blood of the Son.
Hebrews 10:29[29]Of how much sorer punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has rejected with disdain the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

So what exactly is the willful sin? It is not just any sin a believer commits, of course. It is only the sin of apostasy- an outright turning back on faith in the Lord that one once held(which faith is the only means of salvation) i.e. when the believer no longer wants Jesus as his Lord. We also see that this apostasy called "insulting the Spirit of grace" in Heb10:29 was what the Lord called blasphemy of the Holy Spirit which can never be forgiven:
Luke 12:10[10]And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man(unbelievers), it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemes the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven

This sin is also what John calls the "sin unto [eternal]death" which when a brother commits, there is no room for forgiveness, hence no recommendation to pray for such(1Jn5:16). It leads instantly to (eternal)death(1Jn5:16). Every other sin doesn't instantly lead to eternal death(1Jn5:17) but can lead to the delusion of committing this sin if allowed to harden the heart, by continuing in them(Heb3:13)
1Jn 5:16-17 KJV 16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Not every believer qualifies to commit this sin but only one who has passed through all stages of spiritual development mentioned in Heb6:4-6 which can be summarised as having made Jesus Lord first and then having been baptized into the Holy Spirit with the evidence of spiritual gifts of power/anointing.
Heb 6:4-6 KJV 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and became sharers of the Holy Spirit, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
It is however very rare for a true believer to commit such a sin.

It is noteworthy that the impossibility of redeeming such believers is not because God's mercy can ever be exhausted but because sin automatically hardens the conscience hence a believer who continues in sin to a certain point becomes totally hardened in heart and deceived by sin(Heb3:13) such that he himself no more wants to retain faith in the Lord for security of his soul. Which faith alone is the only basis to enjoy God's provision of salvation.
Hence the unforgivable sin is apostasy a.k.a. blasphemy(insult) of the Holy Spirit a.k.a. sin unto [eternal]death a.k.a. willful sin.

A simple test every believer can take to check if they have committed this sin is whether or not you still have a desire to have your sins cleansed by the Lord. If you do, no matter how many sins you have committed, you haven't committed the unforgivable. But if you no longer want Jesus, His mercy and cleansing in your life, then you have.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
bloomstar:

I have about sins that can or might not be forgiven, and that's sins against the holy spirit as i learnt.

Now my main questions is, you committed this sins when you have zero knowledge of their consequences.

And another question is, The Bible said if you believe in Jesus Christ, you are saved...

Now someone who have such past sins against the holy spirit but later believe in Jesus and repent, what is his fate....

Because this matter tire person o... I read were it has been stated plainly that these sins against holy spirit will not be forgiven.

Please help, i seriously need help with this and i know alot of others might be ignorant of this

First of all, the only two who are recorded ti have sinned the unforgivable were people who in fact had the Spirit of God living on the inside of them to begin with- Ananias and his wife Sephira. They were born again but chose to lie against the Spirit living inside of them and like that boom... both dead.

You are not dead, so stop panicking, you have not done the unforgivable yet!. If and when you do it, you will definitely know it.
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 28, 2020
Finallydead:

A simple test every believer can take to check if they have committed this sin is whether or not you still have a desire to have your sins cleansed by the Lord. If you do, no matter how many sins you have committed, you haven't committed the unforgivable. But if you no longer want Jesus, His mercy and cleansing in your life, then you have.

Well done.

Thank youuuuu. Its been a while though smiley.
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Finallydead: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2020
Eulalia:

Thank youuuuu. Its been a while though smiley.
Yeah. I'm scarcely online here but every once in a while, you would see my posts and whenever you mention me, I'll try to respond when I'm online. Hope you're good?

1 Like

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2020
Finallydead:

Yeah. I'm scarcely online here but every once in a while, you would see my posts and whenever you mention me, I'll try to respond when I'm online. Hope you're good?

Oh.. I see. cheesy

Yeah I'm good. Hope you're good too. smiley
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:19pm On Jun 28, 2020
bloomstar:

First, Forgiveness is One Great Goodness that the Lord God, pours upon men. There is no offence He can not Forgive IF, I REPEAT IF,

1) YOU ARE TRULY SORRY FOR IT. (Always Remember, He knows Your Thoughts in Your Heart and Always Sees Your intentions in your soul, so No, you can not Decieve Him)

2) YOU UNDERSTAND THE GRAVITY OF YOUR OFFENCE AND HOW HE FELT WHEN YOU OFFENDED HIM

3) YOU SO UNDERSTAND HOW YOU OFFENDED HIM THAT YOU ARE NOW TAKING STEPS TO REMEDY THE OFFENCE YOU CAUSED WHILE PLEADING FOR HIM TO FORGIVE YOU!

4) OF COURSE, YOU HAVE PROMISED WITH YOUR WHOLE SOUL NEVER TO DO ANYTHING THAT OFFENDS HIM. Which invariably means You intend Doing All He has said You Must Do, which You have even started doing, whether He has forgiven you or not.

For, those who know and understand Him will even tell you the Hurt and Pain He Suffers for the Offences we Inflict on Him, For He is a Very Sensitive God; Not a hair on your head, falls down, that He did not hear it. Luke 12:7. Many times, you do not even know when your hair falls, but He hears it!

Remember Saul who became Paul did the same, but He greatly worked to Redeem His Soul because of his error.

For it is written the Offence was great so also the Work of Repentance Must be Great for it to be valuable and Acceptable.

"Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little." Luke 7:47
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:28pm On Jun 28, 2020
yanabasee1:
There's no sin that is unforgivable.....
The moment you accept Christ into your life, all sins are washed away.....

This is not immediate and straight away as you say for the Lord God is seriously hurt that you sinned in the first place, so Forgiveness Must Take Time.

And of course, there Must Be a Verification from the Lord, that Your Request for Forgiveness is Genuine and not of Fraud or Deceit. Remember, He Hears Your Thoughts and He can See your Real Mind!
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:43pm On Jun 28, 2020
bloomstar:

What about this ones

And define on a lay man language what you mean by blasphemy for clear understanding

Blasphemy simply means Wrongful Insult, Ridicule, Mockings, Abuses and Defamation Directed at the Holy and Good God, Who Has Only Done Good Good Things, Wrongfully blasting and broadcasting and Saying that He is wicked or even evil and that He Does wicked things, when in Truth, He has never Done A single Little Wrong!

It is exactly as you Must Feel when you are Wrongfully Accused of A crime that was in Truth, even impossible for you to have committed, yet the whole world has heard about the crime you are alleged to have committed, and they are making noises about it!

Remember, it was not very easy to forgive the person or persons who put you through this ordeal when your Innocence finally came forth!
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 9:16pm On Jun 28, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Blasphemy simply means Wrongful Insult, Ridicule, Mockings, Abuses and Defamation Directed at the Holy and Good God, Who Has Only Done Good Good Things, Wrongfully blasting and broadcasting and Saying that He is wicked or even evil and that He Does wicked things, when in Truth, He has never Done A single Little Wrong!

It is exactly as you Must Feel when you are Wrongfully Accused of A crime that was in Truth, even impossible for you to have committed, yet the whole world has heard about the crime you are alleged to have committed, and they are making noises about it!

Remember, it was not very easy to forgive the person or persons who put you through this ordeal when your Innocence finally came forth!

Thanks so much for this,

And thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. I am greatly impressed and happy to know i have not forsaken my lord and maker. Yea we commit sin, we are human but we have to try to be better.
Am grateful
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 9:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
Finallydead:

Thanks for That thread. I Really appreciate
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:47pm On Jun 28, 2020
bloomstar:

Thanks so much for this,

And thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. I am greatly impressed and happy to know i have not forsaken my lord and maker. Yea we commit sin, we are human but we have to try to be better.
Am grateful

Wow, a gentleman in nairaland, nice.

We are glad to render our sincere help!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by ochibuogwu5: 1:41am On Jun 29, 2020
All the sins against the Holy Spirit is forgiven by the same Holy Spirit anytime or moment or any location where you repent and confess those sins to God through faith in Jesus Christ thus "His name shall be called Jesus because He will save His brothers and sisters from their sin" (Matthew 1:21)

"Hebrews 7:24 But this man(Jesus), because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. 7:25 Wherefore *he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him*, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Equal2DeTask(m): 3:03am On Jun 29, 2020
Hmm
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 8:45am On Jun 29, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Wow, a gentleman in nairaland, nice.

We are glad to render our sincere help!

Lol am brushing, but actually.... Don't we have gentle men on Nairaland
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 8:46am On Jun 29, 2020
ochibuogwu5:
All the sins against the Holy Spirit is forgiven by the same Holy Spirit anytime or moment or any location where you repent and confess those sins to God through faith in Jesus Christ thus "His name shall be called Jesus because He will save His brothers and sisters from their sin" (Matthew 1:21)

"Hebrews 7:24 But this man(Jesus), because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. 7:25 Wherefore *he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him*, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

So apparently, there is no sin that can not be forgiven? Is that what you mean?
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by VirginFinder: 12:44pm On Jun 29, 2020
Righteousness89:
The Bible is our Gguide....

According to the Scriptures, the unforgivable sin is the sin of Bblasphemy against the Holyghost
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by petra1(m): 1:15pm On Jun 29, 2020
bloomstar:

Yes Jesus said so

Matthew 12:31
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Any sin committed in ignorance cannot stand against you. But when knowledge comes you can repent of it .

The sin against the Holy spirit can only be committed by mature christian . Whatever you did before being a Christian has no hold . Its gone by the supplanting if the new nature

In the days of the earthly ministry of Jesus things were different , because he was dealing with religious people who knew God . The Jews were God worshipers . But In the church dispensation the unforgivable sin Against the Holy Spirit is to renounce the lordship of Jesus . That is the sin unto death which is eternal separation From God .

1 John 5:16-17
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

It’s a total turn back from following christ . It is Apostasy

Hebrews 10:26-27
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries

You can see from the above that there is no issue of trying to find out if one has mistakenly commited the unpardonable sin The person has to willfully commit it .

Now this not a sin a baby christian can commit . It can only be committed by a mature christian or a minister of God .

Hebrews 6:4-6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The person would have lost any sense of feeling after the conscience . Anyone who is concerned if he has commited the sin has not , because you still have conviction of the Holy Spirit which makes you feel concern .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by confluence: 1:24pm On Jun 29, 2020
Jesus Himself said in Matthew 12:31, “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.” If a person truly listens to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and asks for pardon and forgiveness that person is not guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
The other way round, the unpardonable sin is any sin that a person doesn’t want to give up, confess, or even ask forgiveness for and additionally doesn’t want to hear any more about it from the Holy Spirit, and suddenly death came knocking ,the soul is Eternally lost, cannot be redeemed .
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by CaptMarvel(m): 1:37pm On Jun 29, 2020
Eulalia:
Now you need to understand something here.

The sin against the Holy spirit is blasphemy which is not a sin that occurred before you got born again but a sin committed after you must have been born again and tasted of his wonders. Enjoyed the benefits of a Christian, Preached the gospel and worked extensively for God. Then you now backslide and begin yo speak against the gospel, Christians and Christianity to the same people whom you preached the gospel to in time past. And you begin to live a lifestyle opposite to the Christlike life you were known with before. That is the sin that can never be forgiven also known as blasphemy.

Hope this helps.
thanks for sharing this simplifies it all.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
CaptMarvel:
thanks for sharing this simplifies it all.

You're welcome.
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 1:55pm On Jun 29, 2020
petra1:

Yes Jesus said so

Matthew 12:31
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Any sin committed in ignorance cannot stand against you. But when knowledge comes you can repent of it .

In the days of the earthly ministry of Jesus things were different , because he was dealing with religious people who knew God . The Jews were God worshipers . But In the church dispensation the unforgivable sin Against the Holy Spirit is to renounce the lordship of Jesus . That is the sin unto death which is eternal separation From God .

1 John 5:16-17
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

It’s a total turn back from following christ . It is Apostasy

Hebrews 10:26-27
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries

You can see from the above that there is no issue of trying to find out if one has mistakenly commited the unpardonable sin The person has to willfully commit it .

Now this not a sin a baby christian can commit . It can only be committed by a mature christian or a minister of God .

Hebrews 6:4-6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The person would have lost any sense of feeling after the conscience . Anyone who is concerned if he has commited the sin has not , because you still have conviction of the Holy Spirit which makes you feel concern .

Comprehensive
Thanks
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by delkuf(m): 3:37pm On Jun 29, 2020
Righteousness89:

Yeah, you are correct. But it is when you willingly blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. There is difference between doing something that is wrong and knowing that something is wrong and still go ahead to do it. some people may blasphemy against the Holy Spirit unknowingly. When they are still sinners. but give your life to Christ and you know about the Holy Spirit and still go ahead to say things against. reject his love and publicly blasphemy against him, that is when you cannot be forgiven

1 Like

Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by bloomstar: 6:59am On Jun 30, 2020
Equal2DeTask:
Hmm

Smile...
Re: Please Help, Do We Have Unforgivable Sins? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:27am On Jun 30, 2020
delkuf:
Yeah, you are correct. But it is when you willingly blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. There is difference between doing something that is wrong and knowing that something is wrong and still go ahead to do it. some people may blasphemy against the Holy Spirit unknowingly. When they are still sinners. but give your life to Christ and you know about the Holy Spirit and still go ahead to say things against. reject his love and publicly blasphemy against him, that is when you cannot be forgiven

And there is this other liability that the ordinary man is not aware of, in which he claims unawareness.

And it is the Liability of "You Could Have Known If You Truly Cared to Know" or "It Was Told You But You Did Not Care To Know"!

It is The God Given Natural Law that there is A Rebuttable Presumption "THAT A MAN ALWAYS INTENDS THE NATURAL (Or Reasonable) CONSEQUENCES OF HIS ACT"

And On This Ground, You Know, No One Can Lie or Deceive the Lord Here, as is done and doable to men.

So, if men when condemning he who has done wrong can say "there is intention to cause death and harm, if the accused, Deliberately and Intentionally did an act, KNOWING that death or grievous bodily harm WAS A PROBABLE CONSEQUENCE OF IT, Even Though He Did Not Desire That Result!

For a man is Condemned in 2 ways, physically and spiritually.

Meanwhile, God's Condemnation Commences spiritually, From the Heart, as Christ said "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:" Mathew 15:19.

It is not what goes in that condemns, it is Always what comes out! Mathew 15:11 and Repeated in Mathew 15:17-18.

Proverbs 21:2 "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts".

Do you now appreciate why the kingdom of God is not going to be easy?

It is exactly as Christ said "the eye of a Needle".

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Allah's shameful command of Prostitution for Muslims / A Slip Of Tongue by Allah In The Qur'an : Allah Is NOT the God of Israel! / What lasting Benefits Did Jesus Bring Into The World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.