Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,271 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too (3895 Views)

I Just Switched To Linux From Windows / How I Switched To Data Science From A Non IT Background - My Learning Experience / Which Is Better Vim Or Vi? Have You Ever Used Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by arabmoney14: 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2021
melodyogonna:
I have changed my OS too and my theme ...
Is it vim or neovim one should install? Am confused.
Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by melodyogonna(m): 9:43pm On Jan 08, 2021
arabmoney14:

Is it vim or neovim one should install? Am confused.
I recommend Neovim.
Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by arabmoney14: 9:58pm On Jan 08, 2021
melodyogonna:

I recommend Neovim.
Ok thanks
Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by Deicide: 9:24pm On Jan 02, 2022
Neovim with LSP support is just so wonderful
Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by qtguru(m): 10:23am On Jan 03, 2022
melodyogonna:
Video first, if you will grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlR5gYd6um0

Many people have the mindset that Vim is old and makes development unnecessary hard grin grin it's quite the opposite actually; it's old yes, but no modern editor have matched it's unique method of code editing which is very very efficient once you understand it.

Many other people also believe it doesn't include the fancy bells and whistles of modern editors like auto-complete sad sad code linting n embarassed embarassed code formatting Code splitting :- cry cry. This are all lies grin grin like most editors, Vim doesn't have some of this features by default, u have to install the required language server.

And a lot of other people thinks Vim is hard to use, this one has some element of truth but it's not actually hard to use grin grin it is hard to start using, like how starting to learn programming is harder than actually programming.

Now, to why you should use it too? Using Vim actually feels like you're talking with the editor, like it actually works by taking commands from you and executing them grin grin you can command it to go up by 3 lines or right by 3 words; you ask it to change the words inside a quote, then repeat the command for every quoted word in your code, you can ask it to change a whole paragraph, or section. The interesting thing is you won't actually lift your mouse for this, infact your mouse is pretty useless when in Vim because it runs in the terminal, weird right? But not actually have to reach for your mouse every minute prevents you from having to break mental connection with your code and saves you a few milliseconds cool cool.

And every functionality can be customised to suit you or extended with a plug-in, it's a really, really nice editor.

What is the memory consumption like, Electron and VSCode wants to make me run mad and I use 16GB as ram imagine.
Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by Sheriman(m): 11:00am On Jan 03, 2022
My people will just be arguing over something that doesn't worth it. One man poison is another one man food IntelliJ idea is OK for me. I love the editor die!!!
Use any editor that is comfortable and convenience for you when you're writing codes.
That is my own take.

1 Like

Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by melodyogonna(m): 8:54pm On Jan 03, 2022
qtguru:

What is the memory consumption like, Electron and VSCode wants to make me run mad and I use 16GB as ram imagine.
Tiny. If you start adding plugins though it can start using a lot of memory
Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by Deicide: 4:18pm On Jan 22, 2022
Who was comparing vim to VSCode grin

Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by Deicide: 5:41pm On Mar 27, 2023
Back again
Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 29, 2023
Deicide:
Who was comparing vim to VSCode grin

Vim sucks

Vscode is better than this shit .

I use Emacs btw:-)

1 Like

Re: I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too by DrBrainstorm(m): 3:34pm On Apr 01, 2023
I use notepad undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Devices Can Be Connected To Elonmusk Starlink In Nigeria? / Best Server Side Language Your Opinion / Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.