Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Book Review: I Do Not Come To You By Chance By Adaobi 'tricia Nwaubani - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Book Review: I Do Not Come To You By Chance By Adaobi 'tricia Nwaubani (461 Views)

Book Review: I Wish I Knew This Earlier: Lessons On Love By Toni Tone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Book Review: I Do Not Come To You By Chance By Adaobi 'tricia Nwaubani by Minabee: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2020
Needless to say, I have had more time on my hands of recent (no thanks to schools being shut till further notice). This has inadvertently led to me reading more than I normally would. At this point in my undying love for books, I’m consciously exploring a wider range of genres. And I find it worth mentioning that I have been making a conscious effort looking out for other Nigerian authors aside the well-known names.

Normally, I wait days- if not weeks- to decide if I intend to review a book. For this book though, I found myself making mental notes for a review as I read. I eventually penned this review barely two days after completion (talk about making an impression).

Overview

I do not come to you by chance by Adaobi ‘Tricia Nwaubani is set some time in the early 2000s. My lack of sufficient political history makes it difficult to pinpoint the years, but I digress. The story primarily revolves around the life of Kingsley Ibe, a 25-year old Chemical engineering graduate. He struggles with ill-luck in the labor market regardless being well-qualified for the jobs.

After multiple rejections from his dream job, things begin to fall apart back at home, pushing him to consider altering his career path and eventually shifting his moral grounds. The rest of the book find Kingsley ‘thriving’ at what he initially didn’t consider an option. His coming into money ends up putting a distance between himself and his mother, while also affecting a handful of long-time relationships.

My thoughts

I do not come to you by chance is likely to spark some ideas of what the book covers prior to starting. For me, I sure didn’t expect what the book turned out to be. But still, the title is very well suited to the overall weight of the book.

Nwaubani takes on the commercialization and somewhat normalization of 419 (advance fee fraud) with this book. Regardless the heft of the message, she still managed to infuse humor without altering the core of the story.

I found the build up appealing. I didn’t have to wait so long for things to begin to unravel. Not to talk of the concise chapters that gingered me to keep flipping. Story-wise, it explores the struggle and responsibilities of all kind on the shoulders of a firstborn, the roles of values and morals in family life, the unfair nature of the Nigerian labour market plus, the need to have connections even when your qualifications are beyond okay.

I appreciate Nwaubani’s input of wit alongside her deft use of expression to drive home points she had to make. The role played by Augustina, even while being a supporting character sure did well for this story.

In all, it is one read I recommend for somehow being able to be both heavy and light at the same time. It explores a variety of themes including: family, adulthood, politics, love and even death amongst other. It sure was worthwhile, hinting at the fact that we remain our parents’ children regardless how much we grow, the role of values and the fact that it is better late than never to turn a new leaf.

Liked this review? Check out more here: www.mixedbaggy..com

1 Like

Re: Book Review: I Do Not Come To You By Chance By Adaobi 'tricia Nwaubani by KelvinCoaster(m): 11:16am On Jul 03, 2020
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani always write negative articles about Nigeria on the BBC platform!
Use your exposure and opportuinity to promote Nigeria especially to the Britons who are ill-educated on several positive things about Nigeria!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

I Have 3 Ebooks For Sale / A Fading Year / RAGE - Fictional Story (A THREAD)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.