Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,301 members, 7,853,393 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 03:46 PM

Personal Experience With Covid-19 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Personal Experience With Covid-19 (543 Views)

Good News In Italy: Church, Cemetery Filled With COVID-19 Bodies Is Empty(Pics) / Akin Abayomi: We Identified 119 People With COVID-19 Symptoms / Coconut Water - MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 1:22am On Jul 03, 2020
Hello NL folks. This thread is something I've wanted to do for a short while now. It's the little information showing how much or how little we know about Covid 19 and being on the Frontline of healthcare in America, I have come in direct contact with Covid-19 on a daily basis. I am going to speak about my experiences handling care for covid patients and my personal story of my infection with Covid-19.

Yes I was infected by Covid-19 grin grin grin. This is the first time in talking about it.

1 Like

Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 1:26am On Jul 03, 2020
First I want to encourage anybody who has gotten covid or who has a relative infected with Covid-19. I want to tell them that it's not a death sentence. You can recover fully and return back to normal life after several weeks.

Truth be told, we don't really know how this virus is spread. We can take necessary precautions but sometimes even after all precautions are taken, it seems many people still end up infected with the virus. On a weekly basis, CDC comes out with new regulations and information about Covid 19 and steps to protect ourselves from it but it seems covid is always one step ahead.

Social distancing in my opinion is the safest way to prevent the spread. And I don't think this virus is going anywhere unless we develop a vaccine to prevent it.

1 Like

Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by aminusodiq(m): 1:30am On Jul 03, 2020
Ok... Lemme sit here
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 1:40am On Jul 03, 2020
From personal experience, I have seen covid in it's earliest forms. Now I have an eye for detecting it almost accurately in its beginning stages.

At the beginning, when you come in contact with a covid patients who is symptomatic, they always try to hide it. Some signs and symptoms are mild, while some others are pronounced.

But one that always stands out is the COVID 19 COUGH. THAT IS A CLEAR SIGN. IT IS NOT A LOUD COUGH OR EVEN A SERIOUS COUGH, BUT IT IS A CONTINUOUS DISTURBING COUGH. I doesn't stop, it isn't even loud, but it is continuous. It's the kind of cough you have when you accidentally choke on your own spittle.

Most times the patient is scared of the stigma attached to covid so they try to hide the cough or just outright dent it or blame it on something else. But the cough is the telltale sign. When I send them for testing, I am usually not surprised when the result returns back positive. I just feel happy that now they can receive the care they need instead of being unsure and infecting others in the process.
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by ShenTeh(m): 1:41am On Jul 03, 2020
aminusodiq:
Ok... Lemme sit here

Good morning my brother, abeg shift make I join you.

Na you get this popcorn? I carry wine reach here o.

Abeg where your facemask dey?

2 Likes

Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 03, 2020
Now you may ask me, is Covid as deadly as the media and everyone makes it out to be? The answer is yes and no. It depends on the status of your health.

Back in January, I got infected with Covid 19 but back then it was, "that Chinese virus that is killing those Chinese people in China."

I have been abroad for close to decade and I have had series of flus and colds and never once did I have fever or cough.
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by netpro(m): 9:21am On Jul 03, 2020
Can you fast forward to the type of medication and remedies for the early stages.

Also after recovering, can the patient contact it again? Also is the reinfection (if yes) more severe or milder?
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Larry1960: 10:40am On Jul 03, 2020
pDudd:
Now you may ask me, is Covid as deadly as the media and everyone makes it out to be? The answer is yes and no. It depends on the status of your health.

Back in January, I got infected with Covid 19 but back then it was, "that Chinese virus that is killing those Chinese people in China."

I have been abroad for close to decade and I have had series of flus and colds and never once did I have fever or cough.

What were your symptoms
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Amhappy(f): 11:43am On Jul 03, 2020
Following please go on
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Amhappy(f): 11:45am On Jul 03, 2020
pDudd:
From personal experience, I have seen covid in it's earliest forms. Now I have an eye for detecting it almost accurately in its beginning stages.

At the beginning, when you come in contact with a covid patients who is symptomatic, they always try to hide it. Some signs and symptoms are mild, while some others are pronounced.

But one that always stands out is the COVID 19 COUGH. THAT IS A CLEAR SIGN. IT IS NOT A LOUD COUGH OR EVEN A SERIOUS COUGH, BUT IT IS A CONTINUOUS DISTURBING COUGH. I doesn't stop, it isn't even loud, but it is continuous. It's the kind of cough you have when you accidentally choke on your own spittle.

Most times the patient is scared of the stigma attached to covid so they try to hide the cough or just outright dent it or blame it on something else. But the cough is the telltale sign. When I send them for testing, I am usually not surprised when the result returns back positive. I just feel happy that now they can receive the care they need instead of being unsure and infecting others in the process.

This is serious ooo I have this kind of cough. I also have blocked nose. It’s like 2 weeks now. I feel better after taking hot things and steaming. I hope it’s not Covid ooo. The cough is not continuous though except if I’m under fan.
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 03, 2020
As I initially said, I have lived here for close to a decade and I have experienced countless flus and colds throughout the time period but I never once coughed or had a fever. When I was a kid, I had childhood asthma that made me cough horribly for many nights on end. I would cough, cough and cough all night long and several times I will vomit due to all the coughing. As I got older, the cough and asthma went away. Now, I don't even have any traces of asthma.

Going by this past experience, when everyone around me is coughing during the flu season, I often joke that I have already coughed all the cough of my lifetime when I was a kid.

But sometime between Jan and Feb this year, something strange happened. I started seeing more and more patients come and see me due to respiratory problems and persistent cough which made them have shortness of breath. I often prescribed medication for them and did all I could but several times, most of these patients started going into the hospital because they couldn't breath. Back then, nobody was really paying attention because all our minds were focused on China.

I am a workaholic. I work a lot. I don't ever call off work. But around that time, one day toward the closing period, I suddenly spiked temperature with a slight headache. I just thought it was stress. I ignored it and drive home. But 2 hours later, I was in bed with a slight headache and an elevated temperature that refused to break. Then I began to cough. I coughed and coughed and coughed. This continued for like 4 days. I was constantly having elevated temperature and cough. I found this strange because I don't ever cough. The coughing even seemed strange to me because it's been several decades since I coughed. I even had to go and buy several bottles of cough mix but it did little to help. Funny thing was that my nose wasn't draining. I thought it was the cold but I didn't have sore throat or nose drain, just constant fever and cough.

Another thing I had was no sense of smell and taste. Everything tasted like paper in my mouth and my whole body ached badly. It took me about 2 weeks to fully recover but I was still able to function. During this time, several people had begun to go to the hospital with flu like symptoms but nobody was really thinking about Covid. A few people passed away too.

I recently did an antibody test which showed I was positive for covid antibodies but negative for covid antigens. This is a clear indicator of past covid infection.
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 03, 2020
Amhappy:

This is serious ooo I have this kind of cough. I also have blocked nose. It’s like 2 weeks now. I feel better after taking hot things and steaming. I hope it’s not Covid ooo. The cough is not continuous though except if I’m under fan.

Not covid.
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 03, 2020
I have seen covid affect different family members differently. I have seen younger family members with Covid who were entirely asymptomatic. The older members seem to be the ones with the symptoms. And there is always the typical covid characteristics.

One thing about Covid infection is the rate and speed at which it kills. That's the scary part about it. One day you may be walking around totally fine and free from symptoms, while the next day or two, you could be on a ventilator and hanging on to life. It is a strange illness.

I have seen it kill people I saw just a few days ago who appeared fine. But one thing I know is that people with underlying health conditions are more at risk for mortality because it's likely that they are immunocompromised. But at the same time, I have seen seriously immunocompromised patients recover completely.

I have seen people who quarantined completely for several weeks at home still turn out positive for the virus. I have seen very health young people become totally crippled and decimated by covid. I have seen older people have mild symptoms and recover fully from covid. I have talked with several covid patient, trying to figure it out but the more people I speak with, the more confused I get. They usually don't know how they got it because they quarantine in place and carry all manner of hygiene practices but yet they come out positive.

1 Like

Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 03, 2020
Now I'm going to say this: I met a patient who inspired me completely. This patient was a perfect candidate for death but she turned out a survivor.

NB: A few weeks back, the CDC discovered that covid had been around in the US as far back as November last year but nobody knew it was. It was still still considered a Chinese virus. Between November and March, a number of people were hospitalized and being treated for acute flulike symptoms but in reality, that was covid infecting those people. We were still too busy looking at China. Also Trump didn't take it serious even after he was briefed about it. He said it was just a fly and will go away after the winter, well it is midsummer right now and it is decimating US up and down.
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by netpro(m): 6:16pm On Jul 03, 2020
And TREATMENT?
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by acorntree(m): 9:20am On Jul 04, 2020
pDudd:

I have seen people who quarantined completely for several weeks at home still turn out positive for the virus. I have seen very health young people become totally crippled and decimated by covid. I have seen older people have mild symptoms and recover fully from covid. I have talked with several covid patient, trying to figure it out but the more people I speak with, the more confused I get. They usually don't know how they got it because they quarantine in place .

Is there any evidence that shows convid19 could be air borne?
Re: Personal Experience With Covid-19 by chukwuibuipob: 10:22am On Jul 04, 2020
shocked carry chair Sidon here. pDuud, only our governors and family have Coro here and still dey play table tennis, drink fresh palmy,black N green bottle.Isolate themselves with okpeke girls.Be safe pDuud biko

(1) (Reply)

Ausli San Jiang Tea / Telemedicine In Healthcare / Why Do Lagos and abuja People Have Bad Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.