Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

The First Armed Robber To Publicly Executed In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The First Armed Robber To Publicly Executed In Nigeria (846 Views)

Mob Beats Suspected Robber To Death In Bayelsa (Disturbing Photo) / Angry Villagers Beat Armed Robber To Death In Bauchi (Graphic Photo) / Man Disguises As A Robber To Have Sex With Lady Who Rejected Him In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The First Armed Robber To Publicly Executed In Nigeria by Keenysbojan(m): 1:46pm On Jul 07, 2020
The name Babatunde Folorunsho seems nice and pleasant to the ear, but his beard in the history of Nigeria was actually a daylight terror and a nightmare to Nigerians in the early 1979s.

Babatunde Folorunsho was an armed robber and a hardened criminal who threaten the peace and security of Nigerians in the 1970s, with his ruthless group of gang.

He reigned almost the same time as the kingpin of Nigerian armed robbers, Ishola Oyenusi Also known as Doctor Rob and kill.

Babatunde Folorunsho was named "Baba Oni lace(Mr lace), because of his love for lace outfits which he even wore during his robbery operations.

During his horrific reign, Babatunde Folorunsho topped the list of the most notorious and wanted criminals in Nigeria.

He was being hunted by both the police and local guards but all to no avail. During this time, crime rate was at its peak in the country as a result of the civil war that just ended.

Folorunsho alias Baba oni laye seemed invincible but unfortunately for him, he was apprehended by the police during one of his robbery operation on a fateful day in 1971.

He was charged with robbing one Mr. Alfred Marshal car. The entire Nation jubilated as Babatunde Folorunsho was finally apprehended by the police.

On the 8th and 13thvof April, 1971, Babatunde Folorunsho was tried and found guilty of highway robbery. The judge presiding the case, James Agboola Ojomo, sentenced him to death by firing squad.

He was to be executed on the 24th of July, 1971. Thousands of Nigerians rushed to the popular Bar Beach in Lagos where he is expected to be killed by firing squad. That was the first time in the history of Nigeria some will be executed in public.

In chains, Babatunde Folorunsho who was dressed in lace and other criminals were walked to the stakes and tied up. The other two criminals were Williams Alders Oyazimo and Joseph Ilobo.

Joseph Ilobo protested to the last moment as he didn't accept fate easily unlike Folorunsho.

Ati a point he looked at the crown and said, "are all these people here to see me die? Ah! This is a wicked world. I haven't committed any crime".

Williams Alders Oyazimo was a sub lieutenant in the Nigerian Navy. Oyazimo 2as approached by the millitary chaplain, Col. Pedro Martin's, and asked him to pray for forgiveness but he said "Father, I am innocent. My blood will cleanse my family and my children will prosper." Oyazimo's last word touched the heart of many Nigerians. It was such a pathetic moment.

According to source, Williams Alders might be truly innocent. His execution was likely as a result of personal feud with some high ranking officers. He and Joseph were accused of Robbing A loud speaker and record player belonging to one Alhaji Talibatu which was valued at the equivalent of ₦320. They both please not guilty but were sentenced to death anyway.

Rain of bullets fell on the trio's bodies. Their lifeless bodies were inspected, untied and then taken away for burial.

The entire Nation celebrated the death of Babatunde Folorunsho alias Baba oni lace.

Re: The First Armed Robber To Publicly Executed In Nigeria by illicit(m): 1:48pm On Jul 07, 2020
It's too late to apologise....

(1) (Reply)

Missing American Mom, Who Left Texas To Visit Her Boyfriend Is Found Dead In Mex / Massive Protest Now In Oshogbo, All Shouting END SARS / Passengers From More Than 6 Vehicle Abducted Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.