Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,817 members, 7,827,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch (3161 Views)

My New Forum Created / What If You Combined A Social Network And A Forum. I Just Did It, Check It Out / Check Out This New Forum I Installed. Like Nairaland++ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 3:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
I have been using NL seen last year, it is great but lack a lot of thing other forum has, which has let it retain it's speed, since it did not get better and we have gotten faster network.

Since a lot of people complains about NL and nothing is being done, I decided to start a fun project to make a forum for african not just Nigeria, on this forum you can create polls and share it with ur friends, you create jobs, create resume, blog e.t.c

Well, no amount word would explain it all until you check it out

Modified

The new changes as been push to a new server and I have gotten a domain name at africonn.com

http://www.africonn.com

5 Likes

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by bytehead333: 3:32pm On Jul 10, 2020
Nice one. What language/framework did u use.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by aronski(m): 3:53pm On Jul 10, 2020
This is no 'fun project'!
Keep the good work running...
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by Barbsamiin: 4:08pm On Jul 10, 2020
Awesome.!
You've tried bro, but the heading is kinda too big h1 or h2 please.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by OneKinGuy(m): 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2020
It's loads really fast, Good work.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by EvilSec: 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2020
codeigniter:
I have been using NL seen last year, it is great but lack a lot of thing other forum has, which has let it retain it's speed, since it did not get better and we have gotten faster network.

Since a lot of people complains about NL and nothing is being done, I decided to start a fun project to make a forum for african not just Nigeria, on this forum you can create polls and share it with ur friends, you create jobs, create resume, blog e.t.c

afrikas.herokuapp.com
It has the potential to be the next big thing. If you ever need help making it better, beep me.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 5:44pm On Jul 10, 2020
EvilSec:

It has the potential to be the next big thing. If you ever need help making it better, beep me.

Thanks, I will
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 5:45pm On Jul 10, 2020
bytehead333:
Nice one. What language/framework did u use.
Py django

1 Like

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by Anonime1105(m): 5:52am On Jul 11, 2020
Great job man

Loads fast..
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 8:22pm On Jul 24, 2020
you have ability to make cv, polls and post jobs

there is always for development

for newbies who want to learn how to programme with python, JavaScript e.t.c, I am going to resume back to making educative videos on python e.t.c on YouTube, trust me it is going to be good and educative, my channel name is dataslid and so make sure you subscribe to keep updated

3 Likes

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by nurain150(m): 11:04pm On Jul 24, 2020
It been long since we ve been on nairaland.like this may be the next nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 11:17pm On Jul 24, 2020
nurain150:
It been long since we ve been on nairaland.like this may be the next nairaland.
I hope so

1 Like

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by bunnaes: 11:21pm On Jul 24, 2020
codeigniter:

afrikas.herokuapp.com
I didn't read anything you wrote there.
All I know is:

Codeigniter = Crownedrookie = bunnae = GentRoyal = moreb2cum = homo!!
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 12:43am On Jul 27, 2020
After a long time of adding more features. I have moved the app from Heroku to aws and ha e gotten the domain name www.africonn.com at this point a can say it is the best african developed forum and it is ready for use it. Thanks to those who helped me tested it initially

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by devdev: 1:34pm On Jul 27, 2020
codeigniter:

http://afrikas.herokuapp.com
Center you footer content.... looks like you didnt test the website on desktop browser.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 2:54pm On Jul 27, 2020
devdev:

Center you footer content.... looks like you didnt test the website on desktop browser.
I developed it on my laptop, so I made sure that it is responsive on three different devices, and I don't get ur complain, the footer doesn't look good on desktop right? What else looks bad, what do u think would make it better?
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by devdev: 3:23pm On Jul 27, 2020
codeigniter:

I developed it on my laptop, so I made sure that it is responsive on three different devices, and I don't get ur complain, the footer doesn't look good on desktop right? What else looks bad, what do u think would make it better?
What are you using for frontend
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 27, 2020
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2020
devdev:

What are you using for frontend
Server side rendering, jQuery
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 6:33pm On Jul 27, 2020
UnchainedAddict:
everything looks quite well except for the domain name , a domain name captures the main idea of a company , work on that....I could suggest 1 for you
I made a mistake of not buying the domain that I like and saw was available b4 I even started coding, but now it has been bought I am still thinking of the domain that will be best suited for the website, do suggest, I hope it is still available
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by Abcruz(m): 6:38pm On Jul 27, 2020
Nice work
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2020
Abcruz:
Nice work
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by devdev: 7:08pm On Jul 27, 2020
codeigniter:

Server side rendering, jQuery
So you don't have a styling sheet Anyways, work on your footer content. It's aligned to the left on desktop and centered on mobile device.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 7:15pm On Jul 27, 2020
devdev:

So you don't have a styling sheet Anyways, work on your footer content. It's aligned to the left on desktop and centered on mobile device.
How is it possible not to use css, I intendedly made it left aligned, well I will look into it
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 3:52am On Aug 15, 2020
After a long time of adding more features. I have moved the app from Heroku to aws and ha e gotten the domain name www.africonn.com at this point a can say it is the best african developed forum and it is ready for use it. Thanks to those who helped me tested it initially

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by cixak95211: 3:41pm On Aug 15, 2020
You still have lots of work to do. Like a over a million things that need to be done
Congrats on the taking the first step though, which is what matters.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by Karleb(m): 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2020
This is nice.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2020
cixak95211:
You still have lots of work to do. Like a over a million things that need to be done
Congrats on the taking the first step though, which is what matters.

please enlighten me, like what and what,
I would appreciate it if you could do that.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by PenHub: 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2020
Hello bro, i have joined your forum and its quite nice. But I'll like to suggest that
a) add the stats of members and topics at the head.
B) get a more alluring name Like AfriHub, AfroCoast or better still any good one
c) get a graphics designer to get u a good flier and get good advertisers if you're really serious to add more members. Advertise on more forums and social networks
d) add the report button, like button, like button. Depending on space, u could add save button.
E) employ moderators that you could start with even if you're not paying them yet.
F) do good SEO and adverts.
G) ask for the date of birth of anybody registering and eachday celebrate the person
h) have a front page. Lets other sections move inside. You can deside to list all the hamlets on the frontpage.
I)let members know your moderators
j) while you're still growing, monetize your site. Might not necessarily be with adsense. Look for advert companies like links management and sign contracts with them to place adverts on certain places that won't disturb a user. You can also use seun's stile of advertisement.
WHILE I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER, I'LL LIKE TO BE INVOLVED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE SITE.
But i like to understand.
A) what's a hamlet in ur website? Is it a section like politics in nairaland?
B) can topics be created inside the hamlets?

1 Like

Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by Fash20: 5:19pm On Sep 05, 2020
Nice work.
I'm working on something similar. Im using the MERN stack though.
Re: Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch by codeigniter(m): 7:06pm On Sep 07, 2020
PenHub:
Hello bro, i have joined your forum and its quite nice. But I'll like to suggest that
a) add the stats of members and topics at the head.
B) get a more alluring name Like AfriHub, AfroCoast or better still any good one
c) get a graphics designer to get u a good flier and get good advertisers if you're really serious to add more members. Advertise on more forums and social networks
d) add the report button, like button, like button. Depending on space, u could add save button.
E) employ moderators that you could start with even if you're not paying them yet.
F) do good SEO and adverts.
G) ask for the date of birth of anybody registering and eachday celebrate the person
h) have a front page. Lets other sections move inside. You can deside to list all the hamlets on the frontpage.
I)let members know your moderators
j) while you're still growing, monetize your site. Might not necessarily be with adsense. Look for advert companies like links management and sign contracts with them to place adverts on certain places that won't disturb a user. You can also use seun's stile of advertisement.
WHILE I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER, I'LL LIKE TO BE INVOLVED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE SITE.
But i like to understand.
A) what's a hamlet in ur website? Is it a section like politics in nairaland?
B) can topics be created inside the hamlets?

i thought I have replied to this message before
a) the site stats is on everybody's profile, I think i am not building another NL that what NLs and it clones all have in common
b) I would like to go for sweeter domain name but most of the nice ones including the 2 up suggested are gone I chose africonn because the nn gives the illusion of m. so africom is short for africans community, and it is available.
c) I will advertise when I have the funds but right now, I am working on the design so as to reduce d bounce rate, it is not only about many people getting aware of the site, it is about usage, content and people won't stay if they don't like the site
d) I have implemented all of that myself along side a point system. maybe I will add badges in the future
e)any body who wants to moderate are all welcome
f) I have done on page SEO, sitemaps e.t.c, but I don't have much to pay for ads at the moment and my source of traffic as been NL
g) nice suggestions, I will add date of birth but I won't display it to the public, and their dob will only be shared with there followers
h) I have that already
I) ok, let me explain how the Hamlet works
Hamlet is like a small groups of people subscribe to a something e.g I can create an Hamlet for people who do cakes automatically I am d moderator of my group, In d future I will add the ability for a moderate to adds members of an Hamlet as a moderate. so thread can be created within the Hamlet and the public can comment to see new things from the Hamlet u have to become a member and u will see d new things on ur feeds. I chose Hamlet because of it's flexibility, I don't have to create new category on demand.

j) means of monetisation would be nice but we need to get users first

thanks for showing interest, u can chat me up on WhatsApp +2348142700835, and let discuss how u can help with d development of d site

(1) (2) (Reply)

Programming Section Moderator Recruitment / My Php Code Does Not Execute But Displays Code On Browser, / Abdu Sekalala, Uganda’s Top Mobile App Developer Who Has Struck Gold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.