Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should (2181 Views)

3 Facebook Hidden Tricks You Never Knew Existed / 5 Hidden Tricks You Never Knew Your Android Phone Can Do / Cool Whatsapp Tricks You May Want To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by DigitalCora: 5:15pm On Jul 10, 2020

WhatsApp is very flexible and there are fantastic helpful tricks that can transform your WhatsApp experience into a whole new dimension of awesome!

Today, I'm gonna share some helpful WhatsApp tricks and tips you probably didn't know about.

Suspend whatsoever you're doing and view this stuff to the end. You'll be glad you did.

1. [B]Read and reply to messages without touching your phone.[/b]

For Android users, simply launch your Google Assistant and say "read WhatsApp messages."

Assistant will open your recent messages and also give you the option to reply. Input your command and you're done. For iOS users, you can also do this smoothly with Siri.

2. Stop media from being automatically downloaded and appearing in your gallery.

WhatsApp automatically download images and videos sent to you. This will consume your data, eat up your device's storage, and slow down your phone.

To prevent this, here's what to do.

Go to your Chats screen. Click on the 3-dot icon on the top right corner of your screen.

Then settings > data & storage usage > media auto-download. Click on "When Using Mobile Data" and uncheck all the options.

Also, to prevent downloaded images from appearing in your gallery, simply go to settings > chats. There you'll find "media visibility." Simply turn off the toggle. This will prevent WhatsApp from consuming your phone's memory space.

3. Find out who you chat with the most.

You might have a long list of friends that you chat with regularly, but there would be the one you converse with the most. You can find out which contact uses the most of your storage.

Open Settings. Go to Data and Storage Usage. Tap on Storage Usage and then select the contact. You will be able to see how much storage has been used by each contact.

4. Reply to a group message privately.

Maybe you're in a group and you'd like to reply to a specific message that someone sent and you don't want anyone else to see your reply. Here's how to go about it.

On the group chat, tap and hold the message you'd like to reply to. The message will be highlighted. Then click on the 3-dot icon on the right top corner of your screen. There you'll find the option that says "Reply Privately." Click and proceed.

5. Protect your privacy. Hide your chats.

You definitely might have conversations you don't wanna delete but you don't want to run the risk of someone getting to see it either. You can keep it hidden by choosing to archive the chat. This is particularly helpful if you've got friends who like snooping around your messages.

Here's how to go about it...

Tap and hold a chat. Then from the options that appear on the top portion of your screen, tap the "archive icon" (which looks like a download box). Immediately, the chat will be hidden. To recover or view your archive chats, simply scroll to the very bottom of your WhatsApp chats screen.

6. Set up a customize notification.

There are some certain people you want to know instantly if they're messaging you. To make sure they don't blend with every other message, you can change their specific alert tones so you recognise when that particular person has sent you a message.

Here's how to set a custom notification for a contact:

Launch WhatsApp from the home screen of your device.

Open any conversation and tap on ‘View Contact’. You can also access this by tapping on the profile name of the contact within their chatbox.

Now tap on ‘Custom Notifications’.

Now, all you need is to check the box against ‘Use custom notifications’ box.

After this, all the options will become functional and you will be able to tap on any of them.

7. Share your location.

Kidnapping isn't uncommon these days. Before going out to meet someone new, you might wanna pull some security measures.

Through WhatsApp, you can share your location with a close friend/family so they can automatically track you.

This is very handy if you're meeting someone or going to a location you're not too familiar with. WhatsApp has the functionality that gives you the option to allow your contact (that you choose) to see your Live Location for the duration you choose so they can track you.

When you set this up, your contact will be able to see Live wherever you are.

Here's how to go about it:

Chat >Select specific to chat (the person you wanna share your location with) > Tap on the paperclip to the right of the message box > Location > Share Live Location > Select time frame.

Select the length of time you'd like to share your live location. Your live location will stop being shared after the selected amount of time.

Source: https://digitalcora.com

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Dreal1247: 5:30pm On Jul 10, 2020
I want to have a WhatsApp system where the group admin can delete unwanted post in a WhatsApp group. Also, the window period in which a WhatsApp post can be deleted from all should be extended.

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Lombrozo(m): 11:58pm On Jul 10, 2020
Nice post
Very educative
Though I knew some of these features but I have learnt more
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by seanwilliam(m): 10:13am On Jul 11, 2020
It's good.. I know most though..
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by DigitalCora: 10:21am On Jul 11, 2020
Lalasticlala... More people deserve to see this, what do you think?
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Viserion: 10:22am On Jul 11, 2020
Very good op , I agree with the first comment, we need that feature
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Wadosky(m): 11:35am On Jul 11, 2020
How do I leave a group without letting them know?

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by LordOfTheWeed: 12:01pm On Jul 11, 2020
Wadosky:
How do I leave a group without letting them know?
Honestly, this is a very serious question.. Na so Marle add me for her church group chat one time like that, as I comot na so all the church members begin private chat and call me and no be say i dey follow them chat for the group oo angry
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Tonymegabush1(m): 12:54pm On Jul 11, 2020
Nice one added to the one I know before...
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by shilenji(m): 1:47pm On Jul 11, 2020
stale gist
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by DigitalCora: 2:47pm On Jul 11, 2020
Viserion:
Very good op , I agree with the first comment, we need that feature

Yes. I agree too.
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by ieemmanuel(m): 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2020
LordOfTheWeed:

Honestly, this is a very serious question.. Na so Marle add me for her church group chat one time like that, as I comot na so all the church members begin private chat and call me and no be say j dey follow them chat for the group oo angry

I can relate to this grin
If you don't want people adding you on different WhatsApp groups, this feature can help you a lot. To do so, go to the settings page of WhatsApp and click on Account> Privacy> Groups.

Here you will see three options- Everyone, My Contacts and Nobody. You can choose any option among these as per your preferences

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by shegsrules(m): 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2020
Very helpful
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Lamasta(m): 4:53pm On Jul 11, 2020
Nice one kudos op
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Jacku: 5:01pm On Jul 11, 2020
Great, though I know some of them.
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by DigitalCora: 6:59pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lamasta:
Nice one kudos op

Thank you
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by Freelancerx: 12:21am On Jul 12, 2020
Nice, learnt more.
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by DigitalCora: 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2020
Freelancerx:
Nice, learnt more.

smiley
Re: 7 Important Whatsapp Tricks You Didn't Know, But Should by DigitalCora: 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2020
Jacku:
Great, though I know some of them.

smiley

(1) (Reply)

How To Connect Your Wapgprs To The Internet Wit Your Pc / Help, I Can't Hack My E66 / How Do I Root My Solo S350 Android Device?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.