Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? (872 Views)

The Igbos From Benin / How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino / Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by edunwosu(m): 12:40am On Jul 11, 2020
Jude Chukwuka, actor and social commentator rendered Naira Marleys's Ma Fo so beautifully that he got a million naira from the musician. I did not know Jude Chukwuka before the viral video and had not watched his movies. When I first saw the video I thought he is a yourba man for his good Yoruba diction.

Chukwuka's rendition of Ma Fo, however, is another example of the possibility inherent in our national aspiration. His video tells the story of the Igbo man: cosmopolitan, at home with his adopted culture and proud to adopt and express the culture, language and art of his host. Chukwuka speaks fluent Igbo but happily presents Yoruba programs.

Igbos assimilate the culture of his host. He invests, without hesitation, in the economy of his adopted home and becomes the ambassador of the tribe that allows him to settle and thrive. So much that the issue confronting Ndi Igbo as a people is the sustenance of our language and culture as the diaspora Igbo acculturate in their various abode.

Yet, the country mistrust the Igbos, if an Emeka says he wants Biafra, the country latches on it to generalize forgetting the Chukwukas and millions of Igbos across the country voting with their feet and wallet. They are building homes, businesses, raising their kids and investing in their adopted homes.

Sadly, every effort is made to impose what Chimamanda Adichie described as the single story on Igbo people. When Okechukwu cries against marginalization the troops rush to the barricade shouting bigotry.

Chukwuka's rendition is a reminder that Igbos are a diverse people with complex attitudes to the Nigerian project. The only issue that unites igbos is the increasing realization of the high cost of their ethnicity. The high cut off point, the absence of their kith and kin in the decision making positions across the political and bureaucratic spectrum, and the high-handedness of law enforcement agencies in the SE zone. The Igbos however, are not united in how to solve the issue.

The onus is on the government and the rest of the country to increasingly reduce the cost of being Igbo. The cost is currently too high.

It will be nice to see other Nigerians emulate the example of Chukwuka. His various public avowal of his mastery of yourba should serve as a pointer that the current campaign to profile Igbos as a monolithic bigots is misguided and should stop.

Osita Chidoka
July 2020

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Osaze007: 12:44am On Jul 11, 2020
The ethnic coup by the igbos is the reason most Nigerians don’t trust them that’s the bitter truth they can also be very clannish

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Sammy07: 12:45am On Jul 11, 2020
Osaze007:
The ethnic coup by the igbos is the reason most Nigerians don’t trust them that’s the bitter truth they can also be very clannish

2nded

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by edunwosu(m): 12:47am On Jul 11, 2020
Osaze007:

And you forget the civil war where millions of Igbos lost their lives.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Etinosa1234: 1:40am On Jul 11, 2020
I Don't hate them at all...

But if u see the way they chest beat on nairaland with passion.....lemme nor say much Sha

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by fk001(m): 2:12am On Jul 11, 2020
They are good people but few amongst them are narcissist and loud. The few chestbeaters overshadow the silent majority igbos.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by DEROXMAN: 2:14am On Jul 11, 2020
grin NO according to some of them the cabals have promised them presidency 2023 grin
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by noleflendum: 2:58am On Jul 11, 2020
Pigs among them are brainless
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by orisa37: 3:10am On Jul 11, 2020
IGBOS CANNOT ACCOMMODATE THEIR IGBOISM(PRIDE). THEY CANNOT RESTRAIN THEMSELVES AND ACCEPT TO DO TO OTHERS WHAT THEY WISH FOR THEMSELVES.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by stonemasonn: 3:26am On Jul 11, 2020
They are like every other Nigerian, but not laid back.

But the extreme love of money though cheesy
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Yebosola(m): 3:44am On Jul 11, 2020
Igbos are the causes of the mistrust of Igbos especially the ones here on NL, they are too loud and very razz, no iota of respect ,they chest beat anyhow, the good Igbos never call them to order, mean they have their backs, hence the generalization of them all.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Osaze007: 5:00am On Jul 11, 2020
edunwosu:

And you forget the civil war where millions of Igbos lost their lives.

It was reaction to the ethnic killing
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by EagleNest(m): 5:05am On Jul 11, 2020
1. Some said because of 1966 coup - that was carried out by few soldiers - it now means all Igbos conspired to carry out the coup - and million of lives were lost. So all the subsequent coups by Northern soldiers does not really count.

2. Some said Igbos like money. Really? I am yet to see which tribe on this planet Earth that hates money, not even Vatican or Medina, not to talk of Nigerian ones. May be a misconception of Igbos business aggressiveness? Or something else

3. Some said they're clannish. How? If you are looking for a tribe that is seclusive, I think you should look up North. Igbos goes everywhere and adapts and welcomes others to their place as well. I have seen some malams hawking whares in Igbo villages. Unless you travel from your comfort zone, how will you see?

4. Some said they are chest beaters. Well, if few, and only very few indeed, does that in Nairaland it doesn't mean all Igbos goes about doing same. Take a walk out of Nairaland to reality and see if that's how it is.

5. And why is it that some people here are too judgemental on Igbos with such a stereotypical bias that makes you wonder how did you end up co-joined in this marriage born out of British experiment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by MINORU: 5:47am On Jul 11, 2020
Osaze007:

You are silly for saying that

Which coup by the igbo man

When did south south man become igbo?
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by ludd2018: 11:02am On Jul 11, 2020
We are going to Biafra we don't care
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by laiperi: 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2020
Jude Chukwuka is a good example of those Igbo that get along in Yoruba land or anywhere. They say when you are in Rome behave like a Roman.

Respect the culture and be grateful for their accommodation.

Jude is a class by himself, he reminds me of the Igbo I grew up with. Why are they not speaking up?
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Kaypols(f): 7:59am On Jul 17, 2020
igbo are lousy, imagine if all tribe are like them there will be war all the time

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Jazzafizzy(f): 3:53pm On Jul 17, 2020
Igbos re the cause of the majority problem we re facing outside this country . The getting money at all cost syndrome not minding what it will happen to the image of the country.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by flyingpig: 5:45pm On Jul 17, 2020
Jazzafizzy:
Igbos re the cause of the majority problem we re facing outside this country . The getting money at all cost syndrome not minding what it will happen to the image of the country.
I guess abacha, obasanjo, babangida and the other fantastically corrupt men like atiku who soiled Nigeria's image in corruption are from Ebonyi, Abia, Enugu, Imo, and Anambra undecided
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by flyingpig: 5:47pm On Jul 17, 2020
Kaypols:
igbo are lousy, imagine if all tribe are like them there will be war all the time
you live in kaduna, I guess if everyother tribe is violent like northerners who invented boko Haram and fulani herdsmen, Nigeria will be fighting war all the time.

No tribe is perfect in Nigeria. Definitely not the Hausa-fulani who have ruled the most. I especially prefer a lousy person to a terrorist and religious fundamentalist.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? by Jazzafizzy(f): 8:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
flyingpig:
I guess abacha, obasanjo, babangida and the other fantastically corrupt men like atiku who soiled Nigeria's image in corruption are from Ebonyi, Abia, Enugu, Imo, and Anambra undecided
Maybe ......but the invitus ,the billionaire kidnapper ( Evans) and some funny ones are from the aforementioned states grin

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Marriage In Calabar Of Mr Peter Friday And Mrs. Glory Etim / Alaafin: Traditional Worshippers Frown At Open Display Of Monarch’s Corpse / Name Of Domestic Animals In Urhobo Part 1- Odẹ Erhavwe Uwevwi Evun Urhobo Ẹbẹre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.