Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? (3497 Views)

Please Are Software Engineers Recognized As Actual Engineers By NSE And Coren / Developers In The House, Show Us What You're Currently Working On / Software Developers Hub And Training Centre In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Chuky7(m): 8:50am On Jul 15, 2020
I Don't want to overflog this but there was an article on developers pay I read once on one of my favorite Nigerian tech blog. way back 2017.

Just said I drop it here...so we can learn some more...

For sake of La Click La Water Benders...I'll copy and paste...

https://techpoint.africa/2017/09/20/developers-in-nigeria-salary/

Ever asked yourself this same question? We attempted to answer it by putting together an anonymous survey. Based on the random responses we have gotten to our inquiries so far, we have deduced some useful insights about the work-life of software developers in Nigeria.

Software developers dominate the Nigerian tech space

Our survey suggests that software development is the most in-demand skill in the Nigerian tech industry. More than half of our representative sample, from the survey responses we got, are developers. While we had people working in other tech roles in our pool of respondents, the graph above shows the proportion of developers to other roles in the industry.

How much do software developers in Nigeria earn?

Do you think software developers are high earners? Only 39% of our survey participants earn below ₦150,000 monthly. The majority (about 52%) earn between ₦150,000 – ₦500,000 per month.

However, only 9% of our respondents have a monthly earning of above ₦500, 000 and these were mostly senior developers. Our findings are represented in the chart below.

Are Nigerian developers still underpaid?

In 2015, Oluwasegun Famisa, gave plausible reasons to prove that software developers in Nigeria are underpaid. Have things changed in 2017?

Based on our survey responses;

Average salary for developers = ₦275,980
Median salary for developers = ₦175, 000
The median salary is a more accurate representation of the earnings of developers because of the extreme values in our data set. To estimate if developers currently earn enough, let’s weigh the median salary for developers against the cost of living. It should be noted that there is a dearth of reliable locally sourced data for the cost of living in Nigeria.

According to Numbeo, as at August 2017, the monthly cost of living for a single person, without rent, in Lagos is ₦179,543.45. Numbeo is a crowd-sourced global database which uses heuristic technology to extract various economic indicators after filtering data provided by users. Numbeo is also said to gather data manually from authoritative sources including government, supermarkets, surveys etc.

Based on this data, for residents of Lagos to maintain a basic standard of living including, food, shelter, and healthcare, employees must earn about ₦180,000 with the current economic situation. From our survey, this is more than the salary of at least 50% of Nigerian developers, with rent still unaccounted for.

Depending on the area of Lagos, the rent for a modest one-bedroom apartment at the time of writing ranges from about ₦150,000 to ₦1 million per annum in Lagos. While renting a 3-bedroom apartment can cost between ₦700, 000 to over ₦3 million, depending on the location. This amounts to significant expenses on an already deficient income.

It can be deduced from the data presented above that the average developer in Nigeria is still underpaid.

Software development is unattractive in Nigeria

Software developers in Silicon Valley are some of the top earners in the United States. The table below compares the remuneration of developers in Silicon Valley to those in Nigeria based on data from Numbeo and Glassdoor.

From the table above, it can be deduced that the standard of living for developers in the US is significantly higher than that for developers working in Nigeria. This holds true despite the fact that cost of living is significantly higher in the US than in Nigeria.

Please note:

The salaries stated above are not foolproof and are subject to change.
Majority of respondents specified companies operating in Lagos, employees working remotely or outside Lagos were not given special consideration.
Analysis is based solely on data from specified sources.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 9:44am On Oct 02, 2022
How about now?

1 Like

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Kingozymandias(m): 9:46am On Oct 02, 2022
Seun:
How about now?

Seun your attention is needed dto check mate the excessive creating of fake news threads by Tinubu supporters on your forum

I refer below thread I opened on just one example of this

https://www.nairaland.com/7362428/bursted-tinubu-supporters-caught-lying
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Kingozymandias(m): 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2022
Seun:
How about now?

Good afternoon sir

This member GeneralOjukwu goes around the forum insulting people badly and editing their comments to insult their parents siblings family and tribe see below

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Abizz: 6:22pm On Oct 03, 2022
Seun:
How about now?
How far? What's the new way to change the mail attached to my account? I clicked on "change mail" in the edit profile page, it's showing "404 page not found".

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 03, 2022
Seun:
How about now?

U way no get developers

I have never seen u hire any developer in Nigeria .....

You're the most STINGY CEO in Nigeria and the most backwards.

1 Like

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by SavageBoy: 6:51am On Oct 04, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

U way no get developers

I have never seen u hire any developer in Nigeria .....

You're the most STINGY CEO in Nigeria and the most backwards.

E be like say ban dey hungry you chop cheesy
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by SuperWriter(f): 7:32am On Oct 05, 2022
SavageBoy:

E be like say ban dey hungry you chop cheesy

Leave am cheesy
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by RepoMan007: 8:43am On Oct 05, 2022
The article, though 2 years old, to me isn't analytical enough. Silicon valley and Nigeria are very different in the sense that Nigerians hardly pay for softwares. They go for cracked softwares a lot and over time, have formed the habit of looking for very cheap softwares. How will an agency pay 300k easily if clients are being offered quack options for 15 - 35k per job?
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2022
This thread is a good reminder that Nigerians weren't making so much money in Tech until recent years.

For you to get 500k in Lagos as a Software Engineer in 2017 means you're a Senior-Senior Developer who has gone through rigorous Interviews. I know some people earning around 1M in Interswitch & eTransact back then but those guys have experience levels of CTOs already.

Oh well, a lot has changed now.

2 Likes

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:28pm On Oct 05, 2022
truthsayer009:
This thread is a good reminder that Nigerians weren't making so much money in Tech until recent years.

For you to get 500k in Lagos as a Software Engineer in 2017 means you're a Senior-Senior Developer who has gone through rigorous Interviews. I know some people earning around 1M in Interswitch & eTransact back then but those guys have experience levels of CTOs already.

Oh well, a lot has changed now.

Seriously 2017 na wa. Well andela came in 2014 and tech wasn't even a big deal then. Andela was recruiting people by asking them to write essays now it's all data structures and algorithms and whiteboarding. That 2017 was when my guy left unilag and Microsoft came to his school they took a lot of his classmates to USA and Canada people that were serious with coding in school. My guy didn't even touch it cause he felt he could get an engineering job easily. He's now trying to learn to code and its not easy at all.

1 Like

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Seriously 2017 na wa. Well andela came in 2014 and tech wasn't even a big deal then. Andela was recruiting people by asking them to write essays now it's all data structures and algorithms and whiteboarding. That 2017 was when my guy left unilag and Microsoft came to his school they took a lot of his classmates to USA and Canada people that were serious with coding in school. My guy didn't even touch it cause he felt he could get an engineering job easily. He's now trying to learn to code and its not easy at all.

I remember doing one data structures and algorithms interview at Andela in 2017 though, maybe their process wasn't the same for everybody. But seriously I hold the opinion that if Andela didn't start in 2014 as you said, most companies would still be paying peanuts because there was no competition at all & no remote work, you either accept your employer's pay or get fired. Konga.com as at 2015 - 2017 where the writer of that article worked payed around 200k plus for Seniors.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:51pm On Oct 05, 2022
truthsayer009:

I remember doing one data structures and algorithms interview at Andela in 2017 though, maybe their process wasn't the same for everybody. But seriously I hold the opinion that if Andela didn't start in 2014 as you said, most companies would still be paying peanuts because there was no competition at all & no remote work, you either accept your employer's pay or get fired. Konga.com as at 2015 - 2017 where the writer of that article worked payed around 200k plus for Seniors.

Nna men Na wa o. Well, oil and gas was the raining career till 2015 ish. I don't think anyone considers the oil and gas industry as a viable career path anymore except the persons head is under a rock. Now computer science isnt even easy to get anymore second highest cut off after medicine whereas when I left secondary school they were dashing people the course to do people no wan do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by satandeterrible: 4:25pm On Oct 05, 2022
Seun:
How about now?
Oga it is against the rules of this forum to reopen old threads.. You are such a hypocrite, breaking your own law.

No winder you are a Tinubu supporter.
Your antics are well known on this forum.

Why must I swear to comment on a Muslim thread, but the reverse is not the same?

Such a tribal and religious bigot.

We know all the illegal actions you are taking on this forum against Obi supporters - including illegal meetings with top politicians.

We are documenting everything and will forward it to the FBI, Putin, N.Korea, WHO, ECOWAS and the UN at the appropriate time.

As my ancestors will say, he who dances surugede does not know it is the dance of the spirits.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by satandeterrible: 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Nna men Na wa o. Well, oil and gas was the raining career till 2015 ish. I don't think anyone considers the oil and gas industry as a viable career path anymore except the persons head is under a rock. Now computer science isnt even easy to get anymore second highest cut off after medicine whereas when I left secondary school they were dashing people the course to do people no wan do.

Back to the topic. I think everything that has a beginning must have an end.
We have passed the era of oil and gas.
I think the day the era of tech - as we know it - will pass too.
Then another field will come out and become the latest oil and gas.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2022
satandeterrible:

Oga it is against the rules of this forum to reopen old threads.. You are such a hypocrite, breaking your own law.

No winder you are a Tinubu supporter.
Your antics are well known on this forum.

Why must I swear to comment on a Muslim thread, but the reverse is not the same?

Such a tribal and religious bigot.

We know all the illegal actions you are taking on this forum against Obi supporters - including illegal meetings with top politicians.

We are documenting everything and will forward it to the FBI, Putin, N.Korea, WHO, ECOWAS and the UN at the appropriate time.

As my ancestors will say, he who dances surugede does not know it is the dance of the spirits.

Guyyyyyy be calming down please grin grin grin

So that we don't derail the thread, Its about Tech, not politics.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by emmaodet: 6:15pm On Oct 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

It is still viable.

People are cashing out badly in that industry.

My Oga is in saudi now earning 8m/month

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:20pm On Oct 05, 2022
emmaodet:

It is still viable.

People are cashing out badly in that industry.

My Oga is in saudi now earning 8m/month

True but you need solid connections unlike in tech. In tech you don't need to know anyone only your skills will speak for you but recruitment in oil and gas is heavily biased on who you know. Its why Nigerians don remove eye there. Now you see everyone talking about buying laptop or udemy courses. Hardly anyone is talking about doing HSE or doing fire fighting. Even people going to do masters are looking to do tech courses that time na masters in petroleum or oil and gas for robert gordon university dey rain.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by TheOgaBoss: 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2022
RepoMan007:
The article, though 2 years old, to me isn't analytical enough. Silicon valley and Nigeria are very different in the sense that Nigerians hardly pay for softwares. They go for cracked softwares a lot and over time, have formed the habit of looking for very cheap softwares. How will an agency pay 300k easily if clients are being offered quack options for 15 - 35k per job?
the days of software distribution through movable media like CDs are gradually over, so it drastically reduces the piracy of softwares.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by FarmTech(m): 11:34pm On Oct 06, 2022
Seun:
How about now?
Hello Seun, I'm a mod in Agric section. Since I can't contact you other than here, let me tell you an improvement we have to make in agric section.

I suggest that more than 4 sticky posts should be allowed in the agric front page so that high quality posts won't be buried by low quality ones. In fact, more than half of the total posts should be stickable. It should just be a mini version of nairaland homepage. Pls reply me. Thanks.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by peanutbutterr: 12:37am On Oct 07, 2022

1 Like

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by dodgelord: 2:37am On Oct 08, 2022
FarmTech:

Hello Seun, I'm a mod in Agric section. Since I can't contact you other than here, let me tell you an improvement we have to make in agric section.

I suggest that more than 4 sticky posts should be allowed in the agric front page so that high quality posts won't be buried by low quality ones. In fact, more than half of the total posts should be stickable. It should just be a mini version of nairaland homepage. Pls reply me. Thanks.
are they paying you as per se you are a mod on nairaland?? pls i want to knw. thanks
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by FarmTech(m): 8:22am On Oct 08, 2022
dodgelord:
are they paying you as per se you are a mod on nairaland?? pls i want to knw. thanks
No. It is voluntary.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Hybkay(m): 10:25am On Oct 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Can someone start learning DSA without dwelling much on javascript?
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:26am On Oct 08, 2022
Hybkay:
Can someone start learning DSA without dwelling much on javascript?

Will you use sand to implement the DSA or solve the questions?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by Hybkay(m): 10:56am On Oct 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Will you use sand to implement the DSA or solve the questions?
grin
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by dodgelord: 3:46pm On Oct 08, 2022
FarmTech:

No. It is voluntary.

it is not fair ooo

I think there are certain advantages/benefits to being a moderator on nairaland.
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by FarmTech(m): 8:23pm On Oct 08, 2022
dodgelord:

it is not fair ooo

I think there are certain advantages/benefits to being a moderator on nairaland.
That would be nice.
@Suen, did you get my suggestuon?
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by dodgelord: 10:23pm On Oct 08, 2022
FarmTech:

That would be nice.
, did you get my suggestuon?
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by FarmTech(m): 12:58am On Oct 09, 2022
dodgelord:

will u like us to work together on a project that is bigger that will benefit us

all my life i ve been thinkin that since ur a mod on nairaland u will be paid..
Send me a pm
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by dodgelord: 2:00pm On Oct 10, 2022
FarmTech:

Send me a pm
Re: How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? by dodgelord: 2:06pm On Oct 10, 2022
FarmTech:

Send me a pm

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHP With Fingerprint Scanner / I Need Help In Java Programming. / Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.