Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,167 members, 7,821,955 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba (32239 Views)

Russia-ukrainan War: Sokoto Students Now In Budapest, Says Tambuwal / Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools By Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba / High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 7:20am On Jul 16, 2020
The Federal Government, on Wednesday, insisted that its decision not to allow the reopening of schools because of the coronavirus pandemic remains unchanged as it maintains that it is not confident about the safety of students at this time.

Speaking to State House correspondents at the end of the virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday in Abuja, Minister of State for Education, Chief Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, said the position earlier enunciated by Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, on the matter remains unchanged.

Adamu last week announced that Nigerian schools would remain shut and secondary final year students would not write the West African Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) until the Ministry considers it safe for such to happen.

When questioned on the issue, Nwajiuba said: “We are still meeting with parents over the decision of the Ministry. What the Minister said reflects the true position of the Ministry; we are not confident yet that everywhere is safe, the numbers from the NCDC are still alarming and we have put this before parents and all the stakeholders in the Education ecosystem, we are still meeting with them. In fact, there’s a stakeholders’ meeting convened for Monday.

“WAEC on its own part is also negotiating with other West African countries to look at possible shift in date. Once they are through with that meeting and hopefully when we are through with the consultation with stakeholders, if there’s any change in the Ministry’s position, we will communicate, but as it stands, the position of the Honourable Minister, as communicated to you last week, remains the position of the Ministry until further evidence to the contrary or further agreements that may alter those arise.”

Meanwhile, the Minister said his the FEC approved a memorandum presented by his Ministry for a contract worth N136 million, for the procurement of computers and seats for theatres in auditoriums at the University of Benin.

He said the contract would be funded by the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND).

He said: “We submitted a memo on behalf of the University of Benin, for the procurement and installation of theatre seats and computers for work in the auditorium of the University of Benin.

“The project is being funded by the 2019 Tertiary Education funds allocated to the school in the sum of N136 million and the contract was approved by FEC as proposed by the University of Benin and they will now proceed with the procurement.”

Source: https://tribuneonlineng.com/no-wassce-for-nigerian-students-now-fg-insists/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 7:20am On Jul 16, 2020
Cc: Lalasticlala And Seun

1 Like

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by XXXXTENTACION: 7:23am On Jul 16, 2020
Very soon una go see the consequence of this decision undecided

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by flyingpig: 7:29am On Jul 16, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
Very soon una go see the consequence of this decision undecided
e no go pass increase in crime level as children are out of school and not engaged in online education or any job at all.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by kinglaxon: 7:30am On Jul 16, 2020
Hmmm
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by iceboy4752(m): 7:57am On Jul 16, 2020
Meanwhile elections will still hold in Edo state. There will be all caliber of people flouting the social distancing rule, yet the WAEC which will serve as a foundation for the educational progress of our children has been halted because it is "in their interest."

117 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 8:03am On Jul 16, 2020
kinglaxon:
Hmmm

Are you a woman or Man
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by sammychimex(m): 8:05am On Jul 16, 2020
We need to get our priorities right, let's not create a situation we cannot manage because we want to form big boy of Africa. Even Madagascar's lost law makers to covid-19 despite claiming to have the cure. Truth is our health system is all ready overwhelmed let's not make it worse.

The govt should also make our schools safe because they won't remain closed forever.
More so this is an opportunity to step up for Nigeria.

19 Likes

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by matrixme(m): 8:39am On Jul 16, 2020
Idiots! Idiots at the helm of affairs. They dont want students to sit for waec but they want to buy chairs and computers for an empty university hall because they will be able to inflate the contract for their selfish gains. Keep at it. Satan awaits your souls in hell!

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Afostev11(m): 10:28am On Jul 16, 2020
Weitin dey do this man called mallam mumu mumu sef, must ur actions reflect ur name? I tire for this aboki ooo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Kraspo(m): 10:29am On Jul 16, 2020
Health first since Nigeria is a bleeped up country.
This is the bad situation we found ourselves in. If only we were tech inclined and had uninterrupted power supply, we would have written this kind of exam online.

6 Likes

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Slawormir: 10:29am On Jul 16, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Meanwhile, the Minister said his the FEC approved a memorandum presented by his Ministry for a contract worth N136 million, for the procurement of computers and seats for theatres in auditoriums at the University of Benin.

Na the hand work of Mrs salami be this o

That woman dey try sha
I stroll reach Uniben yesterday make i go halla some of my real niggarrrz for that side
O boy wetin i see shock me...see beautification
Upon all say no source of revenue this period na im she fit still dey do all these things

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Houseofglam7(f): 10:29am On Jul 16, 2020
undecided
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by dinoplus: 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
What kind of people do we have as leaders

No WASSCE yet elections will hold in Edo state. undecided

If making $2 per hour isn't too poor for you check my signatureee, it's free.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
I'm looking for a driver interested in driving a small cargo bus at hire purchase in Lagos or anyone who can connect me with a deal to a company to handle their haulage.

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Jasseyfrd(m): 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
it is well
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by PureGoldh(m): 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
Smh in dismay...E be like say NCDC and FG never belleful undecided

There is room for political gathering whereas educational gathering is restricted.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by DreamyEyes: 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
Uni na next year things grin
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
Rubbish
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by BlackfireX: 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
What a country, no versatility no charismatic no alternative no nothing....

Just lifeless

2 Likes

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Onyi22(f): 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
grin
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by asatemple(f): 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
Nawaa, this year is messed up
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Verance: 10:30am On Jul 16, 2020
"...the numbers from the NCDC are still alarming...."

What numbers are alarming? 400-700 daily cases alarming? Cases that do not follow a regular trend? Today it's 450, tomorrow it's 712, the day after 501. Today Ekiti will have 35 cases, tomorrow, they will have just 2 cases. Nonsense. Number of daily cases going up and down like a sinosidual graph. Mr. Minister, let's assume these fake numbers are real, go and check the daily cases of Florida, which is just one state in the U.S. of A to understand what the word "alarming" is.

I visited Alaba Intl Market on Monday and gosh! I have never been immersed in such mammoth bodies of human beings as I was that day. We were moving like snails due to massive crowd on the walkway, yet nobody within sight was on face mask. I was made to understand that such is the norm there. Yet the government continue to promulgate unnecessary panic about this so called virus for their selfish gains. Why must you use a sledge hammer to kill an ant?!

I am not saying the virus is a hoax in Nigeria, what I am saying is that nature is fighting a good fight for us because with the SOCIAL COMPRESSION that exists in Lagos, if the virus infects and kills like it does infect and kill Americans, Asians and Europeans, then the prediction of Gates and his wife, would have been very much in place in Nigeria by now.

In the place I reside in Lagos, the people here never abided to a lockdown, not even the Statewide lockdown. People moved freely and markets opened normally even during the one month lockdown, yet till today, NO ONE has been reported to have contracted the virus, let alone brought down by the virus. So what then us the point of the remaining restrictions still in place? Banks claim to adhere to socially distancing inside the banking halls, yet a crowd of people are socially compressed at the gate/entrance as they jostle to get inside the bank. Rubbish. If corona virus is really devastating in Nigeria, no one needs tell any one to obey guidelines and stay at home.

I used to be very fearful about this virus and as a teacher, I educated the doubters and those I tagged "ignoramuses" about the reality and deadly nature of the virus, I don't do so any more, nonetheless I don't deny the existence of the virus in Nigeria. I stopped wearing face mask long ago as soon as I realised that there is nothing anyone living in suburban Lagos can do to prevent him/herself from contracting the virus. The only thing I do now is pray not to get it and observe the little guidelines possible for me to observe, and that should I contract, may it not bring me down to an early grave. Please, if it is possible for you to obey all recommended guidelines against contracting the virus, please do so. As for me, thinking I can prevent contracting the virus by my power, with the prevailing circumstances around me, is akin to me turning my back on reality.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by ChocolateWine(f): 10:31am On Jul 16, 2020
Tell them.

This generation is always in a rush. A generation that places riches and mundane things over life.

I remember reading primary 6 three times, cause my parents thought I was too young & coupled with they wanted me to wait for my younger sister to catch up so we can travel out for schooling.

3 Likes

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Factfinder1(m): 10:31am On Jul 16, 2020
But there are elections and plenary sittings for looters

2 Likes

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 16, 2020
What's is the rationale of proceeding with elections and campaign while schools are shut down? Is that important than the future of the nation?

3 Likes

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 16, 2020
No problem. We done hear. But why is election taking place?
Which one is more vulnerable to be effected with Corona?

2 Likes

Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 16, 2020
cool
Re: No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba by EyezofGod120: 10:33am On Jul 16, 2020
grin who put this illiterate for minister of education seff??dem wan do election but waec student wey b say dem no fit reach 300 for hall u say no exam for them,,,God still have much people to kill for this country o

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Rewards Aminat Yusuf With ₦10M / Strike: FG, ASUU Disagree On Payment Platform / Government Day Secondary School Kaya, Zamfara In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.