Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,181 members, 7,849,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:13 AM

Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? (307 Views)

Elon Musk 'Voted Out' As CEO Of Twitter By Poll He Created / On-demand Motorcycle Startups Caught In Web Of Lagos Government Ban On Okadas / Opinion Poll: Find Out What People Are Saying About Network Marketing Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Virginnn(f): 10:18am On Jul 17, 2020
online virtual betting in Nigeria is on the increase.
The term "virtual betting" as used here refers to the various categories of betting done online in which the better relies heavily on blind chance.
The most common ones are lotto and soccer virtual betting.
I have once worked in a bet shop. I have seen how it crumbles many young persons- Keke riders, bike riders, bricklayers, bankers, teachers, drivers, farmers, in fact every category of persons. Many are now addicted to it. Once they earn any money, they don't save, they breeze straight to bet shops and squander it all. I have an older brother who is into virual games. He said he would really love to stop it, but has "invested" so much in it, that he always tries in the attempt of recovering what he had lost.
The more the urge, the higher the stake.
Baba Ijebu lotto has its attractions especially among the women folks. while this allows staking with negligible sums such as 10 or 20 naira, people who desire to make it big have been know to have spent their entire life saving pursuing a particular "key".
I have always believed that these various gambling platforms are recipes for Poverty. In a country where government hopes to raise the standard of living, should these deceptive money drainers be legalized?
Granted, betting chain of businesses may have created jobs for thousands of persons, should this form of robbing Peter to pay Paul be encouraged? Who was consulted before they were legalised? There is often the argument that no one forces anyone to play. True. But does the legal nor given it not give unsuspecting citizens that there's something good in it?
I have spoken with many victims, yes victims of virtual betting. They believe banning it by government will be to their best interest. But as long as it's there, they find it difficult to quit.
What's your opinion?
Are you a regular virtual games better?
Would you like them banned?
Have they been useful to you?
Have you won big before?

Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Virginnn(f): 10:21am On Jul 17, 2020
Click like if you want virtual games banned.

Click share if you want virtual games to stay.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by drskyfly007(m): 10:29am On Jul 17, 2020
You are right..It should be banned

I'm a medical doctor and I can tell you that Gambling is a mental health disorder according to American Psychiatric Association..

Those addicted to it need all the help they can get, even if it means total ban of these games...

It ALWAYS ends in POVERTY!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Kylekent59: 10:29am On Jul 17, 2020
Virginnn:
Click like if you want virtual games banned.

Click share if you want virtual games to stay.

Do you know the disadvantages of all these which you are seeking for?
Many will lose their jobs. Even these bet companies pay tax which is used to fund the economy.

Other countries have bet companies and they are doing fine, so why Nigeria?

My sister, let me tell you, it is the person playing the bet should be blamed.

Bet9ja warns that bettors should use their spare money and not their salary. So what are you complaining of again? Let us always reason right and with understanding.
Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Teacher1776(m): 10:31am On Jul 17, 2020
Everytime I see young men shouting
Over 2
Goal goal
Two up two down
Two to come
Correct score
Home win away win
1x 2x
Draw
Etc
I just shake my head. They have been possessed. The only remedy against virtual games is not to try it at all. Once you try it, you are trapped for life.
Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Kylekent59: 10:34am On Jul 17, 2020
Teacher1776:
Everytime I see young men shouting
Over 2
Goal goal
Two up two down
Two to come
Correct score
Home win away win
1x 2x
Draw
Etc
I just shake my head. They have been possessed. The only remedy against virtual games is not to try it at all. Once you try it, you are trapped for life.

I wonder how you would feel when you have seen an elderly woman, and old men playing Baba Ijebu?

Hope you know they are all part of gambling.
Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Teacher1776(m): 10:35am On Jul 17, 2020
Kylekent59:

Many will lose their jobs. Even these bet companies pay tax which is used to fund the economy.

Bet9ja warns that bettors should use their spare money and not their salary. So what are you complaining of again? Let us always reason right and with understanding.
My brother, this thing is a paradox. It is an undisguised way of defrauding unsuspecting citizens.
Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Kylekent59: 10:39am On Jul 17, 2020
Teacher1776:

My brother, this thing is a paradox. It is an undisguised way of defrauding unsuspecting citizens.

Yes visual should be banned my brother. They should allow normal predictions and ban Virtual

3 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by espn(m): 10:43am On Jul 17, 2020
As far as ni one is forced to play it.
Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Virginnn(f): 11:02am On Jul 17, 2020
drskyfly007:
You are right..It should be banned

I'm a medical doctor and I can tell you that Gambling is a mental health disorder according to American Psychiatric Association..

Those addicted to it need all the help they can get, even if it means total ban of these games...

It ALWAYS ends in POVERTY!
Thanks Sir, for the professional input on this issue. We live in a country where the youths are desperately relapsing into activities that guarantee quick money on the surface, while ignoring the inherent life long consequences.
Yahoo Yahoo is everywhere and everyone is acting like it's so cool.
Gambling attractions and it's promise of quick wealth is driving many vibrant people into a life of penury. Every day new betting sites are being establiahed. To what end? To reduce us to a country of gamblers? We should speak up so that this madness can stop

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by SEGLIZ: 11:12am On Jul 17, 2020
Kylekent59:

what fragment is their tax in our economy?
what fragment do they pay as tax to the public from what they make?
you blame those #bet_addict, fine. invariably banning them would make the difference. if the addicted stop playing bet_companies would go out of business, no more tax to government, still government would survive.
those working with bet_companies would sure get another job, if the addicted stop playing, whereby the outfit closes up.
this no excuse or reasoning to keep gambling alive.
Re: Opinion Poll: Should Government Ban Virtual Betting In Nigeria? by Virginnn(f): 11:12am On Jul 17, 2020
espn:
As far as ni one is forced to play it.

There are lots of businesses going on. Some of them are legalised, some are illegal. Even as you read this, people still have access to Indian hemp. you probably know the vendor(s) in your neighborhood running this illegal business in utmost secrecy to outsmart law enforcement agencies who make periodic raids(some are compromised though). Prostitution is another vice done discretely by those engaged in it. Vices will always exist. But when a government approves a vice like gambling such that it can now be purchased in the open market, many innocent unsuspecting citizens become Victims. This is my concern here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Transcorp Hotels Executive Director Helen Iwuchukwu Resigns Amidst Revenue Drop / Fully Verified Payoneer Account For Sale / Chop40k Up And Running. Join Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.