Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,805 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors (20433 Views)

Lost Her To Parvo - Quack Vet Didn't Know / Lets Create A Dog Of Our Own.dog Owners,veterinary Doctors,lab Scientists. / Veterinary Doctors In Port Harcourt | Contact Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 2:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
The veterinary profession is one of the most affected professions in terms of quackery, in that sometimes it is very difficult to identify a genuine vet doctor. You would even see some semi-illiterates and diploma holders parading themselves as veterinarians simply because they have an idea of some animal diseases. It is even more worrisome, the confidence and brazenness some of these quacks exhibit because in their minds, they are usually like "its just an ordinary animal". The only way to avoid falling victims to such unscrupulous people is for pet owners to have the capability to be able to distinguish between quacks and genuine doctors, because it may determine the life or death of your pet. The ways in which you can identify a quack are listed below;

1) Its your right as a pet owner to ask questions about whatever condition your animal is suffering from and get a very detailed answer, if your "vet" cannot answer you or is dodgy about the question. Such individual is likely a quack. (Most quacks may be knowledgeable on how to perform the procedure but don't usually know the principles behind such procedure)

2) Stylishly ask which school he/she graduated from if you are suspicious. Presently, we have only 11 vet schools in Nigeria. They include;
(a)Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
(b) Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta
(c) Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi (4)
(d) Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike
(e) University Of Abuja,Abuja
(f) University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
(g) University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
(h) University Of Maiduguri
(i) University Of Nigeria Nsukka
(j) Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto
(I) University Of Jos
Most people do not know the schools that offer veterinary medicine, hence tend to make a blunder. It is imperative to take note of the above schools, if their school ain't in any of the above for now, he/she is definitely a quack. "Imagine a "vet" claiming he/she graduated from Unilag"

3) Check the persons carriage, spoken english and dressing, although subjective, it can be a give away

4) Check their price range and desperation for money, it could also be a give away. My dear friends, no veterinarian who spent 6yrs in Vet school would collect 300 naira from you for any procedure in your house !!!

5) Lastly, if they are quick to give judgement on your case without careful and proper diagnosis, such individual is likely a quack.

In conclusion, I believe if the above principles are followed you would be saved from quacks and get better quality treatment for your pets.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Akhirastriver(m): 2:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
okay
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by manuel0702: 11:07am On Jul 21, 2020
Thanks for the information. I am usually scared of taking my pets to vets these days whenever the known vet is not around. Too many hustlers out there!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2020
manuel0702:
Thanks for the information. I am usually scared of taking my pets to vets these days whenever the known vet is not around. Too many hustlers out there!
Sincerely you are right. It is these hustlers that spoil the name of veterinarians in this country and pose danger to pets.

13 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by adekemi45600: 3:44am On Jul 23, 2020
okay
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 12:50pm On Aug 10, 2020
in addition to the above, it was also observed that when a "vet" is quick to prescribe without proper diagnosis and also has a habit of doing mostly home calls without been affiliated to a standard vet clinic or hospital, then one should be suspicious.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Royruky(m): 12:53am On Jan 27, 2021
seunH:
in addition to the above, it was also observed that when a "vet" is quick to prescribe without proper diagnosis and also has a habit of doing mostly home calls without been affiliated to a standard vet clinic or hospital, then one should be suspicious.

Can one know through the vet card for dog?

Do vets have any special number they need to endorse on the cards?

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Latouch: 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2021
Hi,
Expecting a German Shepherd puppy in 3 weeks, so looking for a Vet. Where are you based?

Segun
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 9:59pm On Feb 06, 2021
Royruky:

Can one know through the vet card for dog?

Do vets have any special number they need to endorse on the cards?
Yes sir we have a Veterinary directory where all licensed and registered veterinarians's names and numbers are kept. But using the vet card is not 100% sure.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Royruky(m): 6:10pm On Feb 07, 2021
seunH:
Yes sir we have a Veterinary directory where all licensed and registered veterinarians's names and numbers are kept. But using the vet card is not 100% sure.

Thanks for your reply.

Can the veterinary directory be accessed online?
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 4:50pm On Feb 08, 2021
Royruky:

Thanks for your reply.

Can the veterinary directory be accessed online?
It should be on the VCN official website, but all Vets have a hard copy which I'll show you how it looks like.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 4:53pm On Feb 08, 2021
seunH:
It should be on the VCN official website, but all Vets have a hard copy which I'll show you how it looks like.
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 4:57pm On Feb 08, 2021
[quote author=seunH post=98872079][/quote]

6 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Royruky(m): 5:37pm On Feb 08, 2021
[quote author=seunH post=98872214][/quote]

Thanks
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by yaromaikyau(m): 1:00pm On Jun 13, 2021
shocked
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by iamyemiakins(m): 1:00pm On Jun 13, 2021
With the rate at which people are eating different combination of animals in Nigeria these days. Even veterinary doctors sef go turn hunters

6 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by WoundedLamb: 1:02pm On Jun 13, 2021
Nice one. I have a few probably dumb questions, but I'll ask them nevertheless:

1) Please, does a vet need special studies asides the normal vet degree to be able to treat birds? Where I stay, we have a lot of veterinary doctors but only a few of them do birds, and they are expensive. They call themselves 'avian vets'. Is it like that everywhere else? I mean pet birds like parrots, parakeets, finches, canaries, etc.

2) Is there a body for dog trainers in Nigeria or any law guiding the practice?

3) I noticed that many dogs in Nigeria are readily aggressive to strangers and this seems to be normal as the owners even brag about it. The same species are socialized in western countries as part of the initial puppy training process, and only attack when ordered to or in certain circumstances. I know Nigerians purposely do this and my question is, are they benefits to raising un-socialized dogs? Do such owners ever take thier dogs to leash free zones/dog parks? Won't they be in serious legal trouble if their dogs attack someone or another dog regardless of where?

Thanks.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by DamnnNiggarr: 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2021
shocked

A post from 2020,

Hmmmmmm!

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Patrioticman007(m): 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2021
The quack vetinaries have turned many pet animals to bush meats in obodo naija, however the most painful ones are the quack doctors & pharmacist in Nigeria, for they have killed many people more than the casualties of the Nigerian civil war.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by candidbabe(f): 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2021
Veterinary doctor for what

Gat no goddammm pet
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Jesuschristus: 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2021
Even d originals aren't appreciated, well this is Nigeria
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2021
I hear
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by 33Solomonf(m): 1:05pm On Jun 13, 2021
VeteranTheBuilding

Kk

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Damiiilolar(f): 1:06pm On Jun 13, 2021
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 13, 2021
Are the real ones still around in Nigeria? If they do, it's just a waste of time and resources unless they work in government units.
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 13, 2021
If he cannot threat cow.

But joke apart, you can hardly get a quack veterinary doctor. Because the job is not that recognized as that much lucrative. And if you have been known to sabi work and your prescription do work for your clients, they hardly change animals physician.

In this career as veterinary physicians, working close to fulani herdsmen and poultry owners is good call

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Dog Breeding That Lucrative? / 6 Most Aggressive Dogs To Own In Nigeria / Boerboel, Rottweiler And Pitbull , Which Do You Think Is Better ???!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.