Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,559 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Need Your Opinion- To Come Home Or Stay In The Uk - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Need Your Opinion- To Come Home Or Stay In The Uk (894 Views)

NNPC Staff: Resume Before 8am Or Stay At Home / My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Your Opinion- To Come Home Or Stay In The Uk by oludunamis(m): 1:35pm On Jun 15, 2007
Hi Guys, I need your opinion on the above subject.

I currently have a job here that pays around £34k PA as a project engr for an oil service company. I also have an offer back home with one of the big oil companies.

I want to consider tha naija option because if the ff reason:
The postion is in the exact discipline within the industry that I never managed to find here (got subsurface discipline in naija, doing subsea in UK)
A good opportunity to join a world class multinational
Good renumeration etc u know the usual package.

Reasons why I may not take the offer:
I have a family here and they may find it a bit difficult to settle back in , u know the usal naija challenges, I dont want to uis to live together.

Guys what are your thots, bearing in mind that UK is damn expensive etc

I just want to take it easy so I dont make any mistakes, at the moment, It titlting towards naija option

Thanks Guys
Re: Need Your Opinion- To Come Home Or Stay In The Uk by DisGuy: 6:33pm On Jun 15, 2007
You already made up your mind, consult your madam and the kids

You have to think about the other persons career and the school and maybe you can visit them every month end or every three months that is if you are not living offshore undecided

not easy

have you seen the environment you will be working in?
Re: Need Your Opinion- To Come Home Or Stay In The Uk by Tats(m): 9:10pm On Jun 15, 2007
It is a difficult decision to take.

Look at the benefits taking the naija job will offer you:
1. You will have more disposable income and acquire more assets
2. Possibility of working overseas (transfer or cross posting) after a period of time
3. interesting job as it is what you want to do.
4. You could get an overseas oil job after some years of experience in the company since you have equally worked overseas too

Naija job downsides:
1. Where in the country are you going to be based? You may have a restricted life in some of the Oil producing cities/areas.
2. Do you know the current living conditions in Naija and the pressures/stress associated? Your cash can only settle some!
3. Your family needs to adjust to the life there and may not be happy particularly if they are already used to the UK

Benefits of staying in current UK job:
1. Family would be okay and social/environmental conditions of living are better overall
2. You are getting international experience
3. Are you a Citizen or got ILR or close to getting either? If not, you may want to stay and get it for the sake of having options

Now my advice:
Take the naija job, but do not relocate your family immediately. See if you like the job and be visiting them for sometime (not easy to live separately but a lot people do it now). When you have saved some money and acquired assets, get back to the UK and you will get a good job. Good luck in your decision.
Re: Need Your Opinion- To Come Home Or Stay In The Uk by oludunamis(m): 6:30pm On Jun 16, 2007
@TATS

Thanks for your analysis. Yes its a difficult one and as you advised I may go 4 the naija option. Again top on my priority is to break into the area i am being offered back in naija, i have triend tried doing that here, but no luck as yet.

I guess have to bear the difficulty of living searate from my family for at least 1 or 2 yrs. I am going to be based in lagos but mainly working offshore 2wks and onshore 2 weeks.

I am still on WP and wud not get ILR until 2011, so its not much of an option to wait till i get it, cos by then i probably wont be interested in that dsicpline offered in naija.

Thanks for your advise
Re: Need Your Opinion- To Come Home Or Stay In The Uk by tayog(m): 9:37pm On Jun 16, 2007
money is not an end but a means! certain thongs must come first in decisions, hence think very carefully before leaping.

(1) (Reply)

Prince 2 & Pmp Training In Nigeria / A Big Mistake In An Approval Memo! Help! / Do You Get A Text From Sweet Sensation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.