Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,654 members, 7,827,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Temperamental Child. Please Help. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Temperamental Child. Please Help. (824 Views)

Autistic Child: Please Help / Before You Hit That Child, Please See (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Temperamental Child. Please Help. by GuestLog: 2:28pm On Jul 19, 2020
Good day parents, sociologists and phycologists in the house.

Please I need to understand why my nephew cries hysterically and uncontrollably for any small reason. He is two years old. You can't even talk to him being serious without him busrting into tears and there is nothing he ever wants. Everyday, you'd only hear his cries from his apartment from morning till night with little breaks.

Let me give an example... If you walk into the room and see him doing something he's not supposed to do and you stop him even in the most gentle tone, he will cry for hours unend. For a male child I'm shocked by his behavior.

His parents are tired of this attitude where even a one year old child touches him and he burst out crying for close to 30 mins.

What is this behavior and is this normal for a child to behave this way? Also note, his speech is incoherent & can't even tell his parents when he wants to poo!

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by determination26(m): 2:35pm On Jul 19, 2020
I think you and his parents need to be patient with that child, how that child turns out depends on you and his parents. Not all kids are the same and as a father I can tell you that the only way to go about it is with love and actually bringing yourself down in order for the child to communicate

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by GuestLog: 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2020
determination26:
I think you and his parents need to be patient with that child, how that child turns out depends on you and his parents. Not all kids are the same and as a father I can tell you that the only way to go about it is with love and actually bringing yourself down in order for the child to communicate
Thank you so much. We are doing our best. We give him so much love and care. He is not an abused child but somehow I feel like (God forgive me) he might be impaired or something that is why I mentioned psychologists in my greetings. I pray I'm wrong.

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by AfroKnight: 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2020
This is unusual behaviour for any child. Male or female.

You should consult with an experienced Child psychologist.

3 Likes

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by GuestLog: 2:54pm On Jul 19, 2020
AfroKnight:
This is unusual behaviour for any child. Male or female.

You should consult with an experienced Child psychologist.
I will notify his parents to take action immediately. Thank you. I just needed to confirm if it's a rampant behavior.

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by catwalq(f): 3:10pm On Jul 19, 2020
If it's giving y'all reasons for concern then you should take it up

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by GuestLog: 3:25pm On Jul 19, 2020
catwalq:
If it's giving y'all reasons for concern then you should take it up
This is the first step. I've got the confirmation I need.
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by catwalq(f): 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
GuestLog:

Good luck to you on your quest

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 19, 2020
GuestLog:

Is he the only child? There are lots of info online and even coping strategies. You can check them out.
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by determination26(m): 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2020
You know, when I look back to life in secondary school and life now, I realise that some of the seemingly dull students ended up doing pretty well in life while some of the smart ones are struggling.
Even an impaired child can make something out of life, it all depends on the parents and guardians. You've shown that you care, that's the first step. I know a child who couldn't talk when she was way over two years, now her parents can't get enough, she talks for Africa. The key words here are Patience and Love
GuestLog:
Thank you so much. We are doing our best. We give him so much love and care. He is not an abused child but somehow I feel like (God forgive me) he might be impaired or something that is why I mentioned psychologists in my greetings. I pray I'm wrong.
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by jesmond3945: 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2020
She doesn't need any psychologist and she is not impaired anything. Just be patient, learn the secret to calming her down. My baby was like that but she is now a sweet angel.
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by merieam16(f): 6:48pm On Jul 19, 2020
Its an abnormal behaviour, we av a child like dat in d school whr i work nd ard same age. I feel u should give him time nd always make sure his busy doin sumtin lik watching cartoons, kiddies rhymes or playin games
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by Sixfeetbelle: 6:53pm On Jul 19, 2020
GuestLog:

Please I need to understand why my nephew cries hysterically and uncontrollably for any small reason. He is two years old. You can't even talk to him being serious without him busrting into tears and there is nothing he ever wants. Everyday, you'd only hear his cries from his apartment from morning till night with little breaks.

Let me give an example... If you walk into the room and see him doing something he's not supposed to do and you stop him even in the most gentle tone, he will cry for hours unend. For a male child I'm shocked by his behavior.

His parents are tired of this attitude where even a one year old child touches him and he burst out crying for close to 30 mins.

What is this behavior and is this normal for a child to behave this way? Also note, his speech is incoherent & can't even tell his parents when he wants to poo!

I'm getting the vibe that he may be a special needs child like kids with autism, dyslexia etc. I'm not saying he is, but that there is a possibility and the family needs to be extra patient with him.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by frozen70(f): 8:38pm On Jul 21, 2020
GuestLog:

I will advise the parents to relocate him for a holiday to live with a family that will correct his attitude

Some children are better handled by another family once they becomes naughty

He knows that his parents are weak to deal with him
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by Houseofglam7(f): 10:14pm On Jul 21, 2020
That child may be in the spectrum.
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by chii8(f): 11:10pm On Jul 21, 2020
frozen70:

I will advise the parents to relocate him for a holiday to live with a family that will correct his attitude

Some children are better handled by another family once they becomes naughty

He knows that his parents are weak to deal with him

Gbam!!!my sister's husband is the only child of his mother,so when my sister had her first child,her husband's family members all gathered round and was practically worshipping the young boy,at his 2years,I went to visit my parents and invited her and the baby over,my mom asked my sister to return to her husband that we will take care of the boy, after a week,all the boy's unnecessary cries, refusing to eat food prepared for him and his disturbance stopped.The child changed totally,let another relative who is family handle the boy for some weeks let's see.

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by frozen70(f): 1:01am On Jul 22, 2020
chii8:

Gbam!!!my sister's husband is the only child of his mother,so when my sister had her first child,her husband's family members all gathered round and was practically worshipping the young boy,at his 2years,I went to visit my parents and invited her and the baby over,my mom asked my sister to return to her husband that we will take care of the boy, after a week,all the boy's unnecessary cries, refusing to eat food prepared for him and his disturbance stopped.The child changed totally,let another relative who is family handle the boy for some weeks let's see.

Exactly ❗, not just one week for a period of time

There are solutions to everything
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by olisaEze(m): 2:56am On Jul 22, 2020
Houseofglam7:
That child may be in the spectrum.

Aside from this smiley ' undecided ' this has got to be one of ur longest comments so far on NL. You’re probably a healthcare worker, right? grin

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by Richy4(m): 7:13am On Jul 22, 2020
It's a normal thing for a child who knows that he/she has got 100% attention from his or her parent to cry on what I tagged "for nothing "

There's no way a parent will leave their children unattended to when that cries starts. But trust me when he was being ignored 8 times, his strategy will change. When he cries ignore him or start singing and dancing as if he was not there. Try it 8 or 9 times, it will start sinking in that u got no time for his nonsense .. this kind of kids are very nice to anyone that discovered their strengths ('cry')..

When/ if he starts crying and everyone starts begging and giving him stuff so he can stop crying, he will think that he's doing the right thing. When his parent were around and he starts, Be neutral. That will show again that you were not moved.

Again, that's his weapons for attention. Please do not beat him. But Let him understand that his strength might work on his parent but not on u. He will never cry when he sees u.. Oh! and he will love you because you were not moved by his strategy.. unfortunately he will never change till 10yrs or more. Only boarding school can cure such nonsense
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by Mindlog: 7:51am On Jul 22, 2020
GuestLog:

From your first post, I am sensing a neuro-developmental issue that needs early intervention but may also not be it. Just to be on the safer side, let the family seek the professional service of a clinical child psychologist for assessment (where behavioural, cognitive and intellectual testing will be conducted) and treatment. Do read up on Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD).
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by zed7: 2:24pm On Jul 22, 2020
Terrible twos, it's a phase and will pass.
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by Houseofglam7(f): 2:26pm On Jul 22, 2020
olisaEze:

Aside from this smiley ' undecided ' this has got to be one of ur longest comments so far on NL. You’re probably a healthcare worker, right? grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Be nice cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Yes,I'm a health worker smiley

undecided
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by olisaEze(m): 2:32pm On Jul 22, 2020
Houseofglam7:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Be nice cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Yes,I'm a health worker smiley

undecided
cheesy

Com’on I might be a little 'nutty' sometimes undecided, but I’m always nice grin grin grin

U guys r our heroes... #thumbs up! wink
Re: Temperamental Child. Please Help. by Houseofglam7(f): 2:34pm On Jul 22, 2020
olisaEze:

Com’on I might be a little 'nutty' sometimes undecided, but I’m always nice grin grin grin

U guys r our heroes... #thumbs up! wink
Thank you darl smiley
Stay safe.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Satisfy 4 Wives Each Night - 66 Years Old Man With 16 Wives / In USA Most Families CAN'T Afford Diapers / Rivers State Commissioner Congratulates Gift Azunwena On The Birth Of His Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.