Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss (2777 Views)

I Need A Business Idea Please ; Help A Nairalander / Help With Business Idea Please / Business Idea Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by mikemic: 4:19am On Feb 07, 2011
Hi,my company have been working on a particular product here in UK and in the process of applying for patent right.I will like to know what you think about powdered beer. Its just a powder that you pour in a cup and add water then turn to 5.2% lager. So I will appreciate your opinions . Thanks
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by naijacutee(f): 2:31pm On Feb 07, 2011
It actually sounds like a great idea - not just in Nigeria, but anywhere in the world. However, to find out if it is a viable idea, I think it is worth going back to your consumers. Why do people buy beer? Is it because of the taste? If so, will the taste of the powdered version measure up to the sought-after "beer taste"? How do you intend to measure this? Will you have blindfolded customer trial sessions?

- Also, what advantages are there in powdered beer, over "normal" beer? I think in this respect, it is good to look at things from a business perspective. Will companies who export beer find this useful in cutting down their costs/carbon footprints? (i.e saving space and exporting much more stock in the same amount of space)

- What sort of consumer are you targeting? Travellers? Students? Older beer drinkers? Breweries? How would this idea make their beer-drinking experience better?

I really think it's a good idea, especially from a business standpoint. However, if yor average beer consumer feels that the taste is inferior to their "regular", then your demand is out of the window. That is unless you have a niche market that this product appeals to particularly.
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by jeremiahb(m): 4:41pm On Feb 07, 2011
What an excellent idea, naijacutee had already said alot but you need to research more on the powdered beer product. I know that in the UK, 60 - 70% of the people spend at least a couple of pounds on beer and spirits every week and same goes for Europe.

Maybe you try and pilot it out to some consumer groups and find out their opinion. Good luck
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by mikemic: 5:17pm On Feb 07, 2011
Thanks for ur contributions. This product av been tried by 50 people and majority said its 90% lager and they are really waiting for us to start producing, I drank it and i can tell u, u hardly knw the different.
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by 24volts: 11:28am On Feb 08, 2011
this sounds good, but my concern are around how to beat the organoleptic characteristics of well fermented beer which must have the following character
1. a good head retention which is the first eye apeal
2. the physical stability like the haze
3. carbonation of the beer with CO2
4. the colour
5. the larger aromer

most often in Nigeria , Beer market is such a viable one and that explains why most Breweries are selling millions of Hectoliters of beer annualy.

I dont think what you are calling a beer is a beer, I think it should be called RTD - ready to drink in concentrate form
for a beer to be called a beer I think the milled grains has to be mashed at a particular temperature and observe some proteolitic stand time for the benefit of head formation and thereafter undergo saccharification - these are hydrolysis and proteolysis reaction with the help of different enzymes viz: hydrolytic enzyme - alpha and beta amylase
thereafter it is filtered in as wort - sweet amylose which is feremented with either larger yeast or ale yeast at a particular temperature for a specific number of days, after the attenuation it is centrifuged into storage vessel at this point the yeast are removed.
the storage is filtered into bright beer tank and ready where it carbonated with CO2 and ready for packing into bottles.

all these processes impact desirable characteristics into the beer

Thus when you said powdered beer iam wandering how
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by mikemic: 4:58pm On Feb 08, 2011
Its a top secret for nw as i so much understand all chemistry behind beer. My company av been on this research for the past 5 years and av spent over 4m GBP. Trust me its real,anything is possible . All i need to know is just the market in Nig. Thanks
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by asscend: 3:11am On Feb 09, 2011
mikemic:

Its a top secret for nw as i so much understand all chemistry behind beer. My company av been on this research for the past 5 years and av spent over 4m GBP. Trust me its real,anything is possible . All i need to know is just the market in Nig. Thanks

Did you say you've spent up to 4million pounds?

Boy that is way too much & your still researching? If i was a investor i would have sent you packing as i would tell you not to waste any more money on the project.

However; by the looks of it you have been asked to do a market research for the beer company.

Naijacutee broke it down for you.

It will sell big time as pple can carry it in their pockets and when they want to drink they put it in water.
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by asscend: 3:37am On Feb 09, 2011
Costing will play a major part- How much will it cost from a conventional beer can or bottle.

You also need to think of many negatives,

Remember that when its in powdered form you still need a drinking glass and water and if you cant find these two things no beer.

This will boost underage drinking as kids can hide it in their pocket and drink it later (they are still doing it with bottles and cans how much more with satchet).

There are many advantages and disadvantages to this product; how ever you need to test it in the public first and fast.

Take the product to beer parlours and other naija joints and do your survey there. Get first hand info from original drinkers. They will know a good product when they taste it and you know the Naija perception, if its from Yankee its top top.

All the best!
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by mikemic: 7:34am On Feb 09, 2011
@asscend.Thanks for the info,all that av been done in both Europe and in the State already (the testing etc). All am trying to do is introducing the product to Africa . About the funding, we received generous funding both in UK and in the State(that's nt important anyway)
About the under age as long as cig & drink are sold in public already,i don't c any big deal.
Lastly,am nt been employed to carry any form of research by anybody.All am doing is to get more market for myself as am the only Africa involved.
Thanks
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by jeremiahb(m): 6:44pm On Feb 09, 2011
@mikemic

Many business has advantages and disadvantages so don't be discouraged.

But testing the product to 50 people is not good enough.

I live in the UK and when companies are testing a product, majority of them are either giving samples away at Train Stations, Parks or on the Roads.

It will be better if your product is tested that way and people can instantly give you their opinion, if the product is liked in UK, Europe and the States then I don't see the reason why it will not suceed in Africa
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by mikemic: 8:16pm On Feb 10, 2011
@jeremiahb, its 50 professional drinker including me.Thanks
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 11, 2011
Nice idea. if you have a write up on it, i'll like you to publish it on www.smallbusiness.com.ng
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by bestlife(m): 1:40pm On Feb 11, 2011
Am intrested in d biz,just incase u need another african rep.contact me on kokuboh@gmail.com
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by kunlekunle: 4:08pm On Feb 11, 2011
Powdered Beer has been formulated by Munich-based research chemist, Hans Schattenhose. All hail Prof. Schattenhose!
Simply empty one packet into a pint glass and fill with water. It’s all there… hops, barley, carbonation and 5.2% alcohol. You’ll be powder-drunk in no time. The science of Powdered Beer has something to do with breakthrough technology that allows yeast to be freeze dried then forced out of suspension by water. But who cares about that when you can create alcoholic alchemy wherever there’s a tap.
The downside is that this ships all the way from the UK… with the current exchange rate, that’s almost $12 for a six-pack. But think about all the great uses for this… an emergency

its already been researched and produced. you can link up with manufacturer for advice.

Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by kunlekunle: 4:16pm On Feb 11, 2011
http://briansbelly.com/news-blog/powdered-beer/

web address for further information
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by sholaeco(m): 9:13pm On Feb 12, 2011
@KunleKunle let me knw when u order urs grin
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by kunlekunle: 8:21am On Feb 13, 2011
sholaeco

ive not ordered from that site b4, but i brew mine at home
but i'll try and let u know just 12GBP for 6
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by mikemic: 8:23am On Feb 13, 2011
Pls am very very interested as u can down it at work sharply
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by VIPICO(m): 5:35pm On Feb 17, 2011
Dont be dissuaded at all. This is how great inventions came to be. Henry Ford was strongly critisized for producing those first set of ugly looking cars.
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 23, 2011
In case u need super dealers in Nigeria contact me,i will love have container loads of it,or we can even set up d factory here in Nigeria,it will sale well.am an Industrial Chemist(but a business man).cidomick@yahoo.com,+2348032765549.CIDOMICK INTEGRATED SERVICES
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by mrwils(m): 10:50pm On Feb 28, 2011
mikemic:

Hi,my company have been working on a particular product here in UK and in the process of applying for patent right.I will like to know what you think about powdered beer. Its just a powder that you pour in a cup and add water then turn to 5.2% lager. So I will appreciate your opinions . Thanks

@mikemic incase you need the product to be market in spain please contact me at  bobby_williams2010@yahoo.com, i am interested.
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by EstyE(f): 7:47am On Mar 01, 2011
Well not much to comment because all angles has been touched. I add that good packaging in atleast two different price and a real good advert will be plus to get your consumers.
Re: Powdered beer business idea - Please discuss by kakaka2: 7:49pm On Mar 01, 2011
Its very Good Idea. But The point is If the politics behind the nigerian market would buy the idea of allowing the product into our market.

I mean NAFDAC and other agencies.

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity In Lagos / Setting Up A Modern Bakery / How Can I Make Profit From A Restaurant Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.