Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? (1201 Views)

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 / Can I Combine Studying Medicine, Surgery And Work At The Same Time ? / Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by moscow406(m): 12:58am On Jul 22, 2020
Good morning nairalanders. Lemme just get straight to the point.

So I'm in preclinicals and I must say it's really a big deal, trying to assimilate a lot of information in a somewhat short time. Due to this Corona break which has extended past what I imagined, I realised that 4 months has gone (whew! just like that), no job, no trade; because I was mainly focused on my studies in school.

REASONS FOR THIS POST

A front page post mentioned a person who knew a medical doctor but also versatile in computer programming (Nigeria's educational system isn't flexible enough for this except the person learnt prior to entering school).
A friend of mine (same course) is trying to learn html/CSS, and I knew it'd take time because I tried it before gaining admission and it took time to get accustomed to it.(I stopped a few years back though).
Studying Medicine and surgery requires utmost dedication and hard work, the little I've seen reminds me of this fact everyday.
Nigeria as a country is failing with each passing second, I don't see this country improving by the time I graduate.
I don't want to put all my eggs in a basket.

My questions are:
As a medical student, is there any career that can go along side studying medicine?
Hopefully schools resume this year, what kinda side business can go along the course? Or any areas of development that'll go a long way.
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by Akshay23577(m): 3:33am On Jul 22, 2020
Career regarding tips on https://www.govijobs.in/
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by Ujawissy: 6:03am On Jul 22, 2020
A medical doctor in this 21st century that can communicate in a language is better than one that can't.
Communication is very key in every phase of life, To communicate effectively in this dispensation you need to pick a programming language to be very good at.
Language of the 21st century is programming; explore Pyton, Java, Web Lang(Js), you can do that effectively by dedicating an hour per day on your mobile phone!
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by IvarTheBoneless: 7:21am On Jul 22, 2020
Mortuary business or undertaker services (coffins)

On a serious note... selling medical equipment. Have friends who are multimillionaires in this line. Or learn from a laboratory technician. I know someone successful who did this too.

2 Likes

Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by moscow406(m): 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2020
IvarTheBoneless:
Mortuary business or undertaker services (coffins)

On a serious note... selling medical equipment. Have friends who are multimillionaires in this line. Or learn from a laboratory technician. I know someone successful who did this too.

I like the idea of learning from a technician, what kinda equipments do you friends sell? Did they start selling right from school?
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by moscow406(m): 4:29pm On Jul 22, 2020
Ujawissy:
A medical doctor in this 21st century that can communicate in a language is better than one that can't.
Communication is very key in every phase of life, To communicate effectively in this dispensation you need to pick a programming language to be very good at.
Language of the 21st century is programming; explore Pyton, Java, Web Lang(Js), you can do that effectively by dedicating an hour per day on your mobile phone!
Not to be myopic; how can these languages help as I develop along the line, it's not like the human body understands computer coding.
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by missjekyll: 12:20am On Jul 23, 2020
Nwoke m ,face your studies o. I laff in greek
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by billpete89: 12:30am On Jul 23, 2020
moscow406:

So I'm in preclinicals and I must say it's really a big deal, trying to assimilate a lot of information in a somewhat short time. Due to this Corona break which has extended past what I imagined, I realised that 4 months has gone (whew! just like that), no job, no trade; because I was mainly focused on my studies in school.

REASONS FOR THIS POST

A front page post mentioned a person who knew a medical doctor but also versatile in computer programming (Nigeria's educational system isn't flexible enough for this except the person learnt prior to entering school).
A friend of mine (same course) is trying to learn html/CSS, and I knew it'd take time because I tried it before gaining admission and it took time to get accustomed to it.(I stopped a few years back though).
Studying Medicine and surgery requires utmost dedication and hard work, the little I've seen reminds me of this fact everyday.
Nigeria as a country is failing with each passing second, I don't see this country improving by the time I graduate.

My questions are:
As a medical student, is there any career that can go along side studying medicine?
Hopefully schools resume this year, what kinda side business can go along the course? Or any areas of development that'll go a long way.

Let me have your contact email or phone no.
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by Hahjascho(m): 12:01am On Jul 27, 2020
moscow406:

REASONS FOR THIS POST

My questions are:

Good question..
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by moscow406(m): 12:08am On Jul 29, 2020
Hahjascho:
Good question..
Yea, too bad a lot of people aren't giving opinions. Seems like it's been wired for medical students to think about studies only.
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by Hahjascho(m): 12:59am On Jul 30, 2020
moscow406:

Yea, too bad a lot of people aren't giving opinions. Seems like it's been wired for medical students to think about studies only.
Not really.... what works for medic A might not work for B. I will suggest you study yourself and check what you really like, the off class stuff you spend quality time with, like your passion and then start investing on it.... turn it business.
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by moscow406(m): 1:55am On Jul 30, 2020
Hahjascho:
Not really.... what works for medic A might not work for B. I will suggest you study yourself and check what you really like, the off class stuff you spend quality time with, like your passion and then start investing on it.... turn it business.
The thing is my passion almost totally doesn't fall in line with medicine, I love phones and laptops ( gadgets principally), repairing them, knowledge about them, computer stuff generally.

Is there any way I can incorporate that into studies, I don't want the minor stuff to hinder the major stuff.
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by Hahjascho(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2020
@moscow406.
I think you're not alone in the same case...link up or do a low key survey of what other medics do outside studies... just keep networking among your colleagues or other institutions if possible...

It seems everyone knows what medics go through...so don't over do it so that you don't also lose track on the major stuff.

Someone once shared this..
https://bloghomies.com/business-ideas-in-nigeria/ just check the one you can easily incorporate.
Re: What Side Career Or Business Can Go Alongside Studying Medicine? by Bloghomies(m): 5:08pm On Jul 30, 2020
I want to be honest with you, especially considering the environment and your field.

The only feasible business idea that you will do, and it won't cause a hurdle in your studies is blogging or vlogging.

You can decide to start creating contents relating to your field, imagine a side hustle that aligns with your dream and purpose.

Since you're going to blog or vlog about medicine or surgery, it makes you an expert already, an edge to rise as an authority in your niche.

The only thing you need to succeed, is to start learning. Learn the rudiments of blogging, and start.

When you do this well, making $5000 every month is child's play.

I wish you success!

(1) (Reply)

ACCA / . / Affordable ICT Training With *FREE MODEM*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.