Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost (578 Views)

The Science Behind Laser Rust Removal: How Does It Work? / Gangs Of Wild Monkeys Kidnapping Cats And Dogs In Malaysia (Pics) / 28,500-Year-Old 'Protodog' Jawbone Reveals How Dogs Evolved From Wolves (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2020
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12005399_1_jpeg_jpegb14275b5f78bece688542a179cd8bd1b

Have you ever wondered how lost dogs always seem to find their way home? Well, a new breakthrough study has found that it's all down to their sensitivity to the Earth's geomagnetic field.

Research conducted by the Czech University of Life Sciences and Virginia Tech tracked the navigation abilities of 27 dogs from over 10 breeds across a period of three years.

The dogs were given a GPS collar and a small action camera before being allowed to freely roam in forested areas. After a short while, the dogs were called back by their owners (who they couldn't see) and had to work out how to find them.

The study found that:

(1) All dogs began their return trips to owners with a 'compass run' (along the north-south geomagnetic field axis). Researchers believed this helped the dogs orient themselves for the return trip.

(2) When returning to the owner, dogs either followed their outbound track ('tracking') or used a novel route ('scouting').

(3) Around 59% of the dogs switched to scent-based navigation (tracking).

(4) Another 32% relied on landmarks or visual information to help them (scouting).

(5) 8% of dogs used a mix of both to make their way back through the forest to their owners.

"Our findings clearly show the importance of further research on the role and involvement of magnetic cues in canine navigation," explains the study.

"The research suggests that the magnetic field may provide dogs with a 'universal' reference frame, which is essential for long-distance navigation and arguably the most important component that is 'missing' from our current understanding of dog behaviour and cognition."

Over the past few years, there have been some heroic tales of dogs finding their way home over rugged terrain and great distances. Famous films, such as Homeward Bound, show just how dogs can cleverly work out how to get home.

And now we know how they do it...
Source: https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/pets/a33388111/dogs-find-way-home/

1 Like

Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by XXXXTENTACION: 10:02pm On Jul 26, 2020
Iyai yoo shocked

dogs pass smart some people sef tongue
Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by sodiqapril(m): 10:20pm On Jul 26, 2020
Dog are wise...this OP is doing a great job with information

1 Like

Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by Samylekey(m): 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2020
I don buy this Land
Beware of 419
Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by George28(m): 12:16am On Jul 27, 2020
I once mistakenly entered yaba shuttle on my way home at unilag then instead of bariga shuttle

I was seeing waec office, in my mind I was like so waec office even dey close to bariga
As we reach yaba conductor said gbogbo ero (last bustop)
I see railway, I knew this is just the beginning
My heart melt
How I wan take reach house with 100 naira??

I compose myself and asked people where to get a bus going to bariga
Paid 100 naira to bariga
Got to bariga around past 8
I trekked from bariga to soluyi that night, almost 2 hours of trekking

Memories...
Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by meobizy(f): 2:34pm On Jul 27, 2020
Not all. Some get completely lost and never find their way back.
Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by spyglaxx: 3:19pm On Jul 27, 2020
Front page?

Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by Unnerve: 1:18am On Jul 28, 2020
Good stuff. cool

I wonder if this sensitivity to the earth's geomagnetic field is the same explanation behind how some birds and aquatic animals like whales, are able to migrate over very impressive long distances.

The ability of these animals to locate areas across the world with pinpoint accuracy is so astounding when you realize there are no roads or landmarks under the oceans or in the clouds. Lol
Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by spyglaxx: 8:39am On Jul 28, 2020
Unnerve:
Good stuff. cool

I wonder if this sensitivity to the earth's geomagnetic field is the same explanation behind how some birds and aquatic animals like whales, are able to migrate over very impressive long distances.

The ability of these animals to locate areas across the world with pinpoint accuracy is so astounding when you realize there are no roads or landmarks under the oceans or in the clouds. Lol

Somebody asked whether the human being is smart enough to know how smart animals are.
Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by Unnerve: 2:30pm On Jul 28, 2020
spyglaxx:

Somebody asked whether the human being is smart enough to know how smart animals are.
Who asked?
Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by MrBONE2(m): 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2020
Unnerve:
Good stuff. cool

grin

Re: The Science Behind How Dogs Find Their Way Home When Lost by samtee37(m): 10:29am On Jul 30, 2020
Technology yaf expose us grin

(1) (Reply)

Dell XPS 15-9500, 15 Inch FHD+, Intel Core I7 10th Gen, Silver / Top Chatbot Development Service Company In India - Mobibiz / Jupiter And Saturn’s Great Conjunction Is December 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.