Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. (1282 Views)

Idris Adanno: 'Sultan Of Shuwa Arabs Of Edo State' Coronation Sparks Outrage / Sultan of Sokoto: North Is The Worst Place To Live, Bandits Operate Freely / Amir, Sultan Of Sokoto’s Son Had Accident After ‘Getting High On Codeine’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 3:01pm On Jul 28, 2020
and can't be compared to the Emir of kano, Oba of benin, Ooni of ife,obi of Onitsha.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by onil4sure: 3:04pm On Jul 28, 2020
megacash.live
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by gentleibraheem(m): 11:00pm On Jul 28, 2020
Why ??
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by gasparpisciotta: 11:03pm On Jul 28, 2020
What weight does the title carry?
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 9:50am On Sep 17, 2020
gasparpisciotta:
What weight does the title carry?

he is not a king as long as it concern the traditional activities in Nigeria

he just make his way to become known as a traditional king but instead he is originally an Islamic priest and there are prove that there were kings in the northern part of Nigeria even before the coming of Islam to Nigeria

please anyone do well to prove me wrong

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by RedboneSmith(m): 11:06am On Sep 17, 2020
Etrusen:

he is not a king as long as it concern the traditional activities in Nigeria

he just make his way to become known as a traditional king but instead he is originally an Islamic priest and there are prove that there were kings in the northern part of Nigeria even before the coming of Islam to Nigeria

please anyone do well to prove me wrong

"he is originally an Islamic priest." Technically there are no priests in Islam.

"there are prove that thete were kings in the northern part of Nigeria even before the coming of Islam to Nigeria." So how does the existence of pre-Islamic kingdoms in the north now mean that the Sultan is not a king?

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 12:12pm On Sep 17, 2020
RedboneSmith:

"he is originally an Islamic priest." Technically there are no priests in Islam.

"there are prove that thete were kings in the northern part of Nigeria even before the coming of Islam to Nigeria." So how does the existence of pre-Islamic kingdoms in the north now mean that the Sultan is not a king?

do you know that there were kings and kingdoms in those area before Islam came?

when the Islamic religion came to the north where there no already existing settlers there as it were in Ilorin?

if you wish to accept or not that is your concern but know this that

the sultan is just like the representative of all Muslim believers and also the supreme head of all Muslim in Nigeria to mecca I.e if you are a Muslim for instance, you have totally become under the sultan and the sultan will then become in form of your director telling you when and how you follow the religion. so it doesn't matter which state you are from, or a monarch or president as long as u are a Muslim believer the sultan is ur director or u can also put it as your king in Islamic spiritual matters.

so the sultan being in form a king in Islamic spiritual matters just like for example pastor David Oyedepo is to all those living faith church I.e when removing different denomination in church.

the old Emir of kano for example before the fall and influence on kano by the Islamic jihad led by Dan fodio in around 1804 is an original African king or are you going to tell me that kano started in about 1804 ? or are you going to tell me that sokoto kingdoms stated in the 1800s because that is the period the first sultan was forcefully imposed on the peaceful loving northerners who had a pure African tradition before the jihad came

the northern kings and even some western southern and eastern kings is under the sultan when it comes to Islamic affairs not traditional affair because Islam just like Christian has never been the African tradition for ages until the early 1800s

please anyone can do well to prove me wrong.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by RedboneSmith(m): 1:04pm On Sep 17, 2020
You are not making any sense.

The fact that there were people and kingdoms in Northern Nigeria before the advent of Islam does not mean the Islamic Sultan cannot rightly be seen as a king. There is no sense at all in the argument you are trying to make there. How does it even make sense in your head?

Also the position of the sultan as a spiritual leader of muslims does not mean he is not a king. Many kings throughout history had dual roles as both spiritual and temporal leaders. The caliphs of old were also spiritual leaders, as well as kings. All the divine kings that have existed throughout history also doubled as spiritual leaders. Your argument there also falls completely flat.

Unless you can demonstrate that there are clear differences in the role of the Sultan in the politics of Sokoto, viz-a-viz the role of the Emir in Kano or the role of the Oba in Benin, you should just drop this entire argument, 'cause e no get head.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by RedboneSmith(m): 1:14pm On Sep 17, 2020
And to reiterate: a spiritual leader can be a king or a monarch.

The pope is the religious leader of Catholics worldwide. But in the middle ages he was also a king, a monarch, a ruling prince (whichever designation you prefer), ruling over his own sovereign entity known as the Papal States. The Sultan ruled over Sokoto, therefore, he was a king (an emperor, even), his religious/spiritual role notwithstanding.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 1:42pm On Sep 17, 2020
RedboneSmith:
And to reiterate: a spiritual leader can be a king or a monarch.

The pope is the religious leader of Catholics worldwide. But in the middle ages he was also a king, a monarch, a ruling prince (whichever designation you prefer), ruling over his own sovereign entity known as the Papal States. The Sultan ruled over Sokoto, therefore, he was a king (an emperor, even), his religious/spiritual role notwithstanding.

in the case of the pope you are talking about, the pope is ruling an already long term existed Christian society that has existed for ages so it is different when compared to that of the sultan
who came in 1800 with a tatol non African tradition. for me it's just like saying that the head of Christian association in Nigeria is now a king that is if they choose to build a house in Abuja for example and head will be called maybe "Christians father" of Abuja. thereby making the imposed "Christian father" to have authority over all Christians in Nigeria that is exactly what the sultan is.

and because the entire people of Abuja are Christian, will that make the "Christian father" a king ruling as maybe with the title "Christian father of Abuja"? which is against the already existing monarchy there because I believe there must have been king in Abuja before the coming of the "Christian father"

the sole point of all this is that the sultan should only be called to meetings regarding religious meeting in Nigeria and not traditional meeting because he does not stand in that wise.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by RedboneSmith(m): 3:50pm On Sep 17, 2020
Who is the traditional ruler of Sokoto then? Tell us who should stand in for Sokoto in a meeting of traditional rulers from the north, since the Sultan is not a king.

By the way, your analogy with Christians and Abuja is (for the purpose of keeping this conversation civil) ludicrous.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 4:20pm On Sep 17, 2020
RedboneSmith:
Who is the traditional ruler of Sokoto then? Tell us who should stand in for Sokoto in a meeting of traditional rulers from the north, since the Sultan is not a king.

By the way, your analogy with Christians and Abuja is (for the purpose of keeping this conversation civil) ludicrous.

as for me the sultan being not a king but a religious personnel, the northern people can use in their wisdom due to the fact that they know their original history of the pure African tradition, they choose among themselves who will represent them although some different tribe element can also be found in every crannies of the north.

let the north decide that.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 17, 2020
Etrusen:
and can't be compared to the Emir of kano, Oba of benin, Ooni of ife,obi of Onitsha.

Even Ooni of Ife is not a king.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2020
Osagyefo98:

ok oo
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Edeyoung: 8:26am On Sep 18, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Yea he was a babalawo who worshiped the idol oduduwa
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Edeyoung: 9:08am On Sep 18, 2020
The mumu tribes of the north,

The hausas themselves declared jihad on their kings dethroned them, brought the end to their own culture, if not for the wisdom of the fulanis who decided to keep the language as a means to
Unite both the hausas and fulani they probably would have lost that too just in a space of 200yrs their identity was erased,

Funny thing is the hausas still feels they are not enslaved even if they feel, their agenda towards the southern nigeria will not allow them show it,

Note: it is to be noted the hausas lost most of their culture after the creation of nigeria to strengthen their political power in the then nigeria they had to sacrifice everything including their culture and their rivalry towards the fulanis just to have a better fight against their common enemies we down here in the south

Same can also be said for the yoruba muslim, most of the convert happened after the creation of the shithole, the yoruba Muslim did so to follow the leading party from the north

We in the south needs to save the cultures of those northerners who still remain true to their original religion and culture if the jihadist suceed then will failed and if they have more population to themselves soon they come for we,
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 9:20am On Sep 18, 2020
Edeyoung:
The mumu tribes of the north,

The hausas themselves declared jihad on their kings dethroned them, brought the end to their own culture, if not for the wisdom of the fulanis who decided to keep the language as a means to
Unite both the hausas and fulani they probably would have lost that too just in a space of 200yrs their identity was erased,

Funny thing is the hausas still feels they are not enslaved even if they feel, their agenda towards the southern nigeria will not allow them show it,

Note: it is to be noted the hausas lost most of their culture after the creation of nigeria to strengthen their political power in the then nigeria they had to sacrifice everything including their culture and their rivalry towards the fulanis just to have a better fight against their common enemies we down here in the south

Same can also be said for the yoruba muslim, most of the convert happened after the creation of the shithole, the yoruba Muslim did so to follow the leading party from the north

We in the south needs to save the cultures of those northerners who still remain true to their original religion and culture if the jihadist suceed then will failed and if they have more population to themselves soon they come for we,

you are absolutely right

what baffles is that the federal government will still be calling the sultan for traditional meeting and affairs rather than their islamic affair

the Yoruba's are gradually keying into the northern system thereby leaving their ancestry and lowering themselves (the kings) to the sultan. it all started from Ilorin then to Oyo now coming all through osun and the others.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by AreaFada2: 10:05am On Sep 18, 2020
Nothing new.

The babalawo of Ife is now Ooni.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 10:07am On Sep 18, 2020
AreaFada2:
Nothing new.
The babalawo of Ife is now Ooni.

yea that's the Nigeria we are in
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by gregyboy(m): 10:43am On Sep 18, 2020
Etrusen:

you are absolutely right

what baffles is that the federal government will still be calling the sultan for traditional meeting and affairs rather than their islamic affair

the Yoruba's are gradually keying into the northern system thereby leaving their ancestry and lowering themselves (the kings) to the sultan. it all started from Ilorin then to Oyo now coming all through osun and the others.

When i keep telling the yorubas are traitors to the south and fulltime cowards they call it hatespeech and even banned me for airing the truth, if i was Yoruba i will keep pointing to my fellow kingsmen how they are cowards.....

I bet the population of yoruba Muslim in the west before 1914 wasnt more 5 million but after the creation of nigeria there was rapid increase of muslim convert for quick political gains....

Anyway the southern is a king and a religious leader if we wont call him king then some traditional rulers like ife, the various kings in lagos apart from oba of Lagos and the igwes in the east wouldn't also be regarded as king if we can allow that then sultan is a king and a religious leader
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Etrusen(m): 12:57pm On Sep 18, 2020
gregyboy:

When i keep telling the yorubas are traitors to the south and fulltime cowards they call it hatespeech and even banned me for airing the truth, if i was Yoruba i will keep pointing to my fellow kingsmen how they are cowards.....

I bet the population of yoruba Muslim in the west before 1914 wasnt more 5 million but after the creation of nigeria there was rapid increase of muslim convert for quick political gains....

Anyway the southern is a king and a religious leader if we wont call him king then some traditional rulers like ife, the various kings in lagos apart from oba of Lagos and the igwes in the east wouldn't also be regarded as king if we can allow that then sultan is a king and a religious leader

my brother Yoruba and myth na 5 & 6

view this thread "list of alafin of Oyo since 892"

Yoruba people have no proper recording of history they only focus on taking opportunity of other tribe who are weak to speak out
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by gregyboy(m): 9:50pm On Sep 19, 2020
Etrusen:

Yoruba people have no proper recording of history they only focus on taking opportunity of other tribe who are weak to speak out

I keep telling you the benin ife myth was political motivated, by oba eweka11 and not historical

You guys wont listen,
The first benin myth was between benin and just ife, it was staged by eweka11 for diplomatic reasons , the second came as a results of ooni and alafin supremacy battle for the stool, inorder for the onni to settle alafin
They came up with another myth, to include alafin as a direct son of oduduwa, the alafin ancestors was oromiyan, so the new coined history was produced making oromiyan second in the throne displacing the oba of benin which was initially second

First myth 1903, the benin people requested for eweka from ife, he came and conquered the weak and if any man he find strong he makes a truce with him

Second myth, started after the alafin and ooni supremacy fight

: the bins requested from the ooni of ife, for a king and the ooni sent one of his son Oronmiyan to benin, oromiyan made his son eweka king, and returned to found oyo.....

Even the Oduduwa Republic to ife is fake,

But guys like you wont listen because we africans hate truth, others find joy arguing on the benin-ife myth, just for tribal bashing, so they shy away from d truth, but truth is truth

The time we used in arguing on benin ife myth we can use it to research more on our past history and make good movies and money from it
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by baby124: 2:09am On Sep 20, 2020
gregyboy:

I keep telling you the benin ife myth was political motivated, by oba eweka11 and not historical

You guys wont listen,
The first benin myth was between benin and just ife, it was staged by eweka11 for diplomatic reasons , the second came as a results of ooni and alafin supremacy battle for the stool, inorder for the onni to settle alafin
They came up with another myth, to include alafin as a direct son of oduduwa, the alafin ancestors was oromiyan, so the new coined history was produced making oromiyan second in the throne displacing the oba of benin which was initially second

First myth 1903, the benin people requested for eweka from ife, he came and conquered the weak and if any man he find strong he makes a truce with him

Second myth, started after the alafin and ooni supremacy fight

: the bins requested from the ooni of ife, for a king and the ooni sent one of his son Oronmiyan to benin, oromiyan made his son eweka king, and returned to found oyo.....

Even the Oduduwa Republic to ife is fake,

But guys like you wont listen because we africans hate truth, others find joy arguing on the benin-ife myth, just for tribal bashing, so they shy away from d truth, but truth is truth

The time we used in arguing on benin ife myth we can use it to research more on our past history and make good movies and money from it
Etrusen:

Because your ancestors were walking around naked, nacking stick on each other does not mean Yoruba have no record of history! Your history records started when Yoruba occupied your land. That should show you we have a way of keeping history. Yes, we know the names of our Alaafin. Same way we know your Oba of Benin is a Yoruba descendant. Even your so called village chiefs called Ogiso know this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by gregyboy(m): 4:29am On Sep 20, 2020
baby124:

Because your ancestors were walking around naked, nacking stick on each other does not mean Yoruba have no record of history! Your history records started when Yoruba occupied your land. That should show you we have a way of keeping history. Yes, we know the names of our Alaafin. Same way we know your Oba of Benin is a Yoruba descendant. Even your so called village chiefs called Ogiso know this.

Lol, history can never lie, you all have been weaklings since memorial and even till date....

I have been banned so many times because i tell the soar Truth to the yorubas.... I can bet my two balls our oba has no single yoruba blood in him..... Can you... Mugu

If you can set your last saving on it, we can do an open debate...... On it with pure evidence ,

If not don't come here and quote me anymore

Bunch of savage weakers using benin history to uplift their cowardice......

Painful truth is, our oba used your ooni influence for the benefit of benin, and now we are tracing back our history, atleast is a win win, we benin have also helped built yoruba boring coward history.........

Stop clowning yourself even oduduwa was a made up stunt, i bet you dont know, or probably you know too, it is only working because there is still a nigeria, the moment nigeria is gone, Oduduwa Republic wont even stand, same goes to the north your grandmaster, the east would stand better because there was no falseful history that united them, neither do they have tribal disintegrate like the hausa and fulani

If i want to break the yorubas up i know were to pinch..... Same goes for the north, i see what people dont see, so dont quote me and talk rubbish....

Our ancestors were walking around naked i dare you to prove it.... Coward

All this yoruba muslim aboki, go still they claim oduduwa

Look at the screenshot its from quora American top forum, what did you see there a benin bronze representing African history get yourself togetherness and make history for your people than trying to falsefuly still one for your tribe,
Weaklows..

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by DanZubair(m): 9:00pm On Sep 20, 2020
What you must know is the word "Sultan" is an arabic word for king, just as "Sarki" is to Hausas and also as "Mai" is to the Kanuris etcetra.

Their use of the word is for political reason as usual, unknown to many.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 23, 2020
It's just a matter of diction. Sultan is the leader of the caliphate. He's both the spiritual leader and the political leader of the caliphate and he's the most senior traditional ruler in the North. The Sultan and the Caliphate are the results of the Jihad struggle spearheaded by Shehu Usman Danfodio, who doubles as the first Amir al-Mu´minin, the Title which later became Sultan during the reign of his son, Muhammadu Bello, the first person to use the Sultan title.

So it still means king, monarch, whatever you want to call it.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Not A King. by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 23, 2020
RedboneSmith:
You are not making any sense.

The fact that there were people and kingdoms in Northern Nigeria before the advent of Islam does not mean the Islamic Sultan cannot rightly be seen as a king. There is no sense at all in the argument you are trying to make there. How does it even make sense in your head?

Also the position of the sultan as a spiritual leader of muslims does not mean he is not a king. Many kings throughout history had dual roles as both spiritual and temporal leaders. The caliphs of old were also spiritual leaders, as well as kings. All the divine kings that have existed throughout history also doubled as spiritual leaders. Your argument there also falls completely flat.

Unless you can demonstrate that there are clear differences in the role of the Sultan in the politics of Sokoto, viz-a-viz the role of the Emir in Kano or the role of the Oba in Benin, you should just drop this entire argument, 'cause e no get head.

The thing weak me too..

Just like saying the Emir of Ilorin is not a king because people have been living there before the Fulanis took over. Lol grin

(1) (Reply)

Shin Wannan Gaskiya Ne Ko Yaya??? / Ranking Of The Most Beautiful Women In Africa / 12 Thanksgiving Inspirational Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.