Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,836 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion (1761 Views)

Nigerian Man Narrates His Ordeal After Wife Went Into Labour At Toronto Airport / Peace Mass Transport Passenger Narrates Her Ordeal. / My Ordeal At Soekarno-hatta International Airport Jakarta, Indonesia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 12:00pm On Jul 29, 2020
Hello nairalanders
The story am about to tell is a true life story, and at this point am confused, yes really confused. Please I need advice, very matured ones from experienced people.
Come September will make it exactly one year, I applied for Dubai visa through my friend and brother.
Prior that year, my friend and wife have been pestering me to apply for Dubai as I wasn't doing anything very meaningful, alot of people from his church and even community has traveled through them, they had over the years solidify their contact in Dubai. I've witnessed about 7 or more people leave the country to Dubai courtesy of their contact.
Note: This guy is my childhood friend and I've known the wife for about 2 two decades. They're now Pastors and owe their church in my community.
But I have my reservation, The UAE(Dubai)has never been my preferred travel destination, I still have this fear having watched my very younger brother abandon his degree program in the university, my dad sold our land to facilitate his travel hoping for him to make it there, only for him to comeback to Nigeria after the expiration of his tourist visa,
This and many more confirmed my fear about the Gulf country. I steadily declined the persistent approach of my friend and wife to travel to Dubai.
Fastforwad to September 2019,they called me that there is a legit travel opportunity. The offer was thus
Company job readily available
Two years working visa
Free accommodation, feeding and transportation
About 2000 dirham monthly salary
And so many others.
They went further to say that the cost is just 1.1m to cover everything.
As my friend and brother I pleaded with him that there was no money at that time, he said I should just run around make up something and he will assist me, when I cross over we can now discuss repayment percent.
The offer was juicy, this I got my parents involved, we managed to raise 600k in cash(both borrowed money) , I transferred it to him. Already I have a passport so the process began.
After sometimes, I was notified that my visa is out and my flight ticket booked, my travel date scheduled. I went to my work place, where I was managing, subtly submitted my resignation and I was off, never wanted to tell a living soul about my movement, I wanted to catch everyone by surprise.
At first, we were about 6,so we traveled to Lagos, checked into a hotel around duduyemi bucknor area.
Now here is the thing, some of us where going to Indonesia, while some where for UAE.
Our flight was scheduled for 10:45, we got ready to leave to the airport by 5am, only to receive a message via our whatsapp group (that I created for fast communication) the flight has been rescheduled.
OK no problem, we undressed, went downstairs, renew our reservation.
At this point, I get to understand that we were actually more that 26, but not same country, not same date, but from the same source.
My curiosity began to rise, after noticing that, more so no document were given to us, but I trusted my friend because he has done it to people with
Lesser attachment to him, he won't see me and change.
Ladies and gentlemen, let me announce to you all that we ended up staying in a hotel in Lagos for complete one month. They kept telling us to be patient, kept making promises, our group whatsapp was buzzing, people were angry, people were asking questions, everyone became suspicious. My 150k BTA was squandered in Lagos so as others. We became agitated, carried out numerous protest on our whatsapp group.
At this point the youngman in Indonesia, who's the person in charge of the travel had to do a video-Conference meeting with everyone.
Long story short, it came out to be a scam, we all left Lagos, traveled back to our base
Now the young man, claim that he was scammed in Indonesia, my brother also claimed that the young man scammed him, that was the first time they were doing business.
So all became a scam
My brother called me and assured me that he will surely do another papers for me, even if it's tourist visa.
Before covid19 lock down, he managed to do paper for 3people and they're in uae now.
Lock down is holding mine, but I've practically lost every single atom of patience. I need my money back.
Even if my papers is out today there are no money to facilitate the movement, I mean no shi-shi. Because I will have to contribute for the flight ticket and have like 200k at hand, to look for job when I get to uae.
This is the 2nd time I've gone to his house with my dad and uncle to ask for the way forward, he kept telling us to exercise
Some patient, once lockdown is over. But am afraid, there's no money and I don't want to suffer in another man's land.
With the 600k, I can get my life on track.
At this point Im squatting with someone, though I went back to my boss, but terms and conditions were reviewed, I work two days a week and get 20k monthly.
I've searched and searched and searched for job, no way. I have applied for numerous jobs online,nothing came out.
I have applied for NDLEA, NSCDC, POLICE, NPOWER, INEC, etc nothing has worked out, yet they kept telling me that I should have patient, when I get to uae I will make it.
I have also studied the Uae labour market, it's no longer favorable to NIGERIANS there.
This is not life, even if it's life, it's definitely not the kind I would like to live.
I have decided to give him from August1- august31 ,get my money ready or face any music that's played for him.
Age is no longer on my side, no achievement, no nothing.
Please help a disorganized brother, because any decision I take now can make or mar my future.
Thanks.
MOD: please push to front page.

5 Likes

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JustEdward(m): 12:29pm On Jul 29, 2020
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 12:37pm On Jul 29, 2020
Thanks brothers, I will also put this into consideration.
But which Africa country dey OK for hustle now
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 29, 2020
Travelling no be Moi Moi o. too many scams now adays.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 2:29pm On Jul 29, 2020
emperorblog21:
Travelling no be Moi Moi o. too many scams now adays.

My brother I just tire.
The way people talk about this Dubai is so frightening, but some friends there will always tell me to nothing they happen.
I just confuse
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by clevadani: 2:33pm On Jul 29, 2020
Since you are working twice a week, this means you have time on your hands. Use this time wisely.
Go on LinkedIn, search for skills that are in demand. For example programming, design, writing, digital marketing, virtual assisting, data analysis, video editing.
Go on udemy, Lynda, coursera or YouTube and look for courses that can teach you such skills.
Practice those skills, build your resume and search for jobs on fiverr, freelancer, upwork and others. You will get jobs if you are diligent enough.
Then go on indeed, LinkedIn, glassdoor and other top websites to look for jobs.
Your life will not be the same by this time next year.

5 Likes

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by ednut1(m): 3:08pm On Jul 29, 2020
the scammers usually come through family member or pastors. sadly it wont change as more people will still get scammed. a cousin went to Dubai 2019. they were 10 only 3 got jobs and the rest had to come back. for everyday you overstay a fine dey count on your head. the day they catch you , you have to settle all the arrears before they deport you. Think am well o

1 Like

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 29, 2020
Scammers everywhere
Funniest thing is that those agents too are on the long run to leave this shithole
It's well bro better days ahead
Someone already gave you where to look for jobs I think you should try them stay safe bro ✌️
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Venquire: 3:52pm On Jul 29, 2020
Get a skill and certification in one of the numerous branches of IT, ensure you perfect the skill and then you can start freelancing before you apply for a remote job in your choice country.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:07pm On Jul 29, 2020
Bros. What skills do you have? People get jobs in the present day based on what they can do. Please don't dare enter the UAE without any skill or you would be a construction worker under hot sun staying in one room with 50 other people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 4:23pm On Jul 29, 2020
clevadani:
Since you are working twice a week, this means you have time on your hands. Use this time wisely.
Go on LinkedIn, search for skills that are in demand. For example programming, design, writing, digital marketing, virtual assisting, data analysis, video editing.
Go on udemy, Lynda, coursera or YouTube and look for courses that can teach you such skills.
Practice those skills, build your resume and search for jobs on fiverr, freelancer, upwork and others. You will get jobs if you are diligent enough.

Thank you brother for commenting, I have a LinkedIn profile, I have also make some job application there without success.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 4:32pm On Jul 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Bros. What skills do you have? People get jobs in the present day based on what they can do. Please don't dare enter the UAE without any skill or you would be a construction worker under hot sun staying in one room with 50 other people.

For skill, I am a network engineer (LAN & WAN),as in networking, server mgt, social media, a bit of system of repair
That's what I do for my company now. But the the pay is outrageously low
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:46pm On Jul 29, 2020
JoeCassidy:

For skill, I am a network engineer (LAN & WAN),as in networking, server mgt, social media, a bit of system of repair
That's what I do for my company now. But the the pay is outrageously low

Network engineering is one of the most indemand skills out there. You aren't searching for jobs well. For you to have such a skill and be applying to npower means you aren't direct in your job search. The USA embassy was looking for a network engineer a few weeks back. Check if the job is still available. Search and apply to only network engineering jobs. There are so many out there it's insane. If possible, please post your resume here and a link to your linkedin profile so the ogas can help you out.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Gr8mind07(m): 4:50pm On Jul 29, 2020
@ the OP,I just sent a PM to you. If you don't mind, I can link you up with someone in Lagos for LAN work on contract basis whenever he has jobs.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 6:00pm On Jul 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Network engineering is one of the most indemand skills out there. You aren't searching for jobs well. For you to have such a skill and be applying to npower means you aren't direct in your job search. The USA embassy was looking for a network engineer a few weeks back. Check if the job is still available. Search and apply to only network engineering jobs. There are so many out there it's insane. If possible, please post your resume here and a link to your linkedin profile so the ogas can help you out.

OK boss, I will send you PM, maybe I can get your contact and forward my cv to you, don't know if you're comfortable with it, pls reply. Thanks.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 6:02pm On Jul 29, 2020
Gr8mind07:
@ the OP,I just sent a PM to you. If you don't mind, I can link you up with someone in Lagos for LAN work on contract basis whenever he has jobs.

Wow your're already making my day,boss.
Am checking out my mail right away. Thanks pretty much.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Taal17: 6:15pm On Jul 29, 2020
OP

You see this format is the same every time

The ONLY reason it works is because they play on the mood and tempo of the people. They feed off DESPERATION
You need to understand that there is NOTHING urgent about travel
There is NOTHING mysterious about air tickets
All these bogus claims of helping other people
Have you wondered why the same ppl who claim to 'help' others relocate are sitting pretty here in Nigeria. Despite all your reluctance they still pursued you till you paid money. YOU and others like you are their business - you are their source of livelihood

Its the biggest CON ever.
Just 600,000 from you alone then there were 26 of you
And because you keep insisting that they are your childhood friends? So? Even blood siblings, sons, daughters scam each other so who is childhood friend?

Stop being DESPERATE and focus on building your skillset.
If you had borrowed that money and INVESTED IT IN YOURSELF AND SKILLS jobs would have been looking for you.

1 Like

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Goddys(m): 6:27pm On Jul 29, 2020
@OP its good you bring your problem here. People will help you. For those saying he should learn this and that on udemy and apply for gigs on upwork and fiverr, it's very clear you guys dont know getting freelance work online is harder than getting job in Nigeria.

There's no job out there even if you are an expert data scientist. Its only through networking people get fixed into company these days.

3 Likes

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 6:33pm On Jul 29, 2020
Goddys:
@OP its good you bring your problem here. People will help you. For those saying he should learn this and that on udemy and apply for gigs on upwork and fiverr, it's very clear you guys dont know getting freelance work online is harder than getting job in Nigeria.

There's no job out there even if you are an expert data scientist. Its only through networking people get fixed into company these days.

I hear You Sir.
Thank God I did
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by JoeCassidy(m): 6:33pm On Jul 29, 2020
Taal17:
OP

You see this format is the same every time

The ONLY reason it works is because they play on the mood and tempo of the people. They feed off DESPERATION
You need to understand that there is NOTHING urgent about travel
There is NOTHING mysterious about air tickets
All these bogus claims of helping other people
Have you wondered why the same ppl who claim to 'help' others relocate are sitting pretty here in Nigeria. Despite all your reluctance they still pursued you till you paid money. YOU and others like you are their business - you are their source of livelihood

Its the biggest CON ever.
Just 600,000 from you alone then there were 26 of you
And because you keep insisting that they are your childhood friends? So? Even blood siblings, sons, daughters scam each other so who is childhood friend?

Stop being DESPERATE and focus on building your skillset.
If you had borrowed that money and INVESTED IT IN YOURSELF AND SKILLS jobs would have been looking for you.

You're right sir
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2020
JoeCassidy:

My brother I just tire.
The way people talk about this Dubai is so frightening, but some friends there will always tell me to nothing they happen.
I just confuse

if u reach there your eye go clear sha, it might work for you sha buh ask him if it is freelance visa he's getting you once u get d visa documents send it to the dubai thread let them confirm for you.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Cousin9999: 11:05pm On Jul 29, 2020
It should be clear by now. Never go to Dubai. Tell everyone you know.

1 Like

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:23pm On Jul 30, 2020
Goddys:

Op please I beg you in the name of God. Do not listen to this advice. This is demonic advice filled with toxic negativity.

Upwork works. Fiverr works. People don't take it seriously. They apply to 5 jobs and then they don't hear back and come and start whining that it doesn't work. It takes hundred applications to even get 5 interviews. It's a numbers game. Apply to 500 jobs on Upwork in your niche and come and testify. I always advise newcomers on Upwork to keep at least 50000 naira for connects. If you use it judiciously you would be smiling.

I don't know if you know how the tech industry works but no one gets job in tech based on connections especially when it comes down to hardcore competency. Do you know the job of a data scientist and the importance of data science to making sound business decisions. Why would a company want to jeopardize their future based on 'connections'.

As with all things in life, getting a job is a numbers game. You can't apply to 5 jobs and you don't hear anything and give up and start mumbling that there are no jobs. It doesn't work that way. Getting a job is a job. You have to be applying to at least 10 jobs a day to show your seriousness. I don't understand many men know getting women is a numbers game as they can talk to 100 women before they can get one but they can't apply the same mentality to getting a job.

4 Likes

Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by Goddys(m): 1:38pm On Jul 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Op please I beg you in the name of God. Do not listen to this advice. This is demonic advice filled with toxic negativity.

Upwork works. Fiverr works. People don't take it seriously. They apply to 5 jobs and then they don't hear back and come and start whining that it doesn't work. It takes hundred applications to even get 5 interviews. It's a numbers game. Apply to 500 jobs on Upwork in your niche and come and testify. I always advise newcomers on Upwork to keep at least 50000 naira for connects. If you use it judiciously you would be smiling.

I don't know if you know how the tech industry works but no one gets job in tech based on connections especially when it comes down to hardcore competency. Do you know the job of a data scientist and the importance of data science to making sound business decisions. Why would a company want to jeopardize their future based on 'connections'.

As with all things in life, getting a job is a numbers game. You can't apply to 5 jobs and you don't hear anything and give up and start mumbling that there are no jobs. It doesn't work that way. Getting a job is a job. You have to be applying to at least 10 jobs a day to show your seriousness. I don't understand many men know getting women is a numbers game as they can talk to 100 women before they can get one but they can't apply the same mentality to getting a job.

If you are talking based on statistics, let us know how many people here that are making it on upwork and fiverr based on your "logic of higher the number, higher the chances".

That it works for you doesn't mean it's working for hundred other people that are doing same thing you are doing.

I know a lot of expert data analysts and scientists that are hustling for jobs after trying fervently on upwork.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by NiklauseFred(m): 1:53pm On Jul 30, 2020
clevadani:

Seconded!
I like thus guy's idea but the problem with mine is that I got no reasonable system for it(mobile phone/laptop)
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:17pm On Jul 30, 2020
Goddys:

If you are talking based on statistics, let us know how many people here that are making it on upwork and fiverr based on your "logic of higher the number, higher the chances".

That it works for you doesn't mean it's working for hundred other people that are doing same thing you are doing.

I know a lot of expert data analysts and scientists that are hustling for jobs after trying fervently on upwork.
Many refused to do the work and when it doesn't work they come and start whining.

So based on your advice op should sit down and do absolutely nothing since there are no jobs right or he should go and start a business. I am surprised no one has already mentioned that one.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by chycco: 2:53pm On Jul 30, 2020
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by brandable: 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

By connect, do you mean internet connection or what?
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2020
brandable:

By connect, do you mean internet connection or what?

Its upwork currency for applying to jobs. Introduced by upwork to prevent spamming. You are given 20 when you join but you need to buy more once that 20 runs out to apply to jobs.
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by brandable: 4:13pm On Jul 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Its upwork currency for applying to jobs. Introduced by upwork to prevent spamming. You are given 20 when you join but you need to buy more once that 20 runs out to apply to jobs.
That's cool. So with the said 50,000 naira you mentioned, how many connect can one buy?
Re: My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:14pm On Jul 30, 2020
brandable:

That's cool. So with the said 50,000 naira you mentioned, how many connect can one buy?
Around 700. But max is around 140. So you need to buy use it up and then continue buying. Jobs take between 1 to 6 connects.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Relocating To Bahrain: How Do I Relocate To Bahrain? I Want To Japa. / Which Is Best West Africa Countries With Costant And Stable Power Supply / Amazing World Tourist Attraction(7 Wonders Of The World)pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.