Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,135 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ (2252 Views)

Meet The Koma Tribe That Doesn't Wear Clothes / See The Nigerian Tribe Where Women Don’t Wear Clothes For The Fear Of Death [PIC / Hilarious- See What This Uniport Graduate Wore For His His Convocation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 8:22am On Jul 30, 2020
This post is to make benin history easily accessible, cc:gomojam
DonCandido
Amujale
macof
Sewgon79
lx3as
Opiletool
nisai
2fine2fast
Aphrygian
Olu317
Obalufon
geosegun
Samuk
Prolog
AreaFada2
Sarah20A
Valirex
Ghostwon
Davidnazee
Samuk

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 8:23am On Jul 30, 2020
More

Tao11 TAO12 omolofin

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by ebenhazard(m): 8:25am On Jul 30, 2020
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Eriokanmi: 8:26am On Jul 30, 2020
Uwese kakabo. Another proof we are a unique people.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by popsy2(m): 8:29am On Jul 30, 2020
Ok
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Mihzwhitesutana(f): 8:59am On Jul 30, 2020
Weaving
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Etinosa1234: 12:38am On Jul 31, 2020
people that have blinded themselves from seeing the beauty of Bini will come aggressive on this thread

3 Likes

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Etinosa1234: 12:39am On Jul 31, 2020
please How do u get this books
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by AreaFada2: 5:53pm On Jul 31, 2020
gregyboy:
This post is to make benin history easily accessible, cc:gomojam
DonCandido
Amujale
macof
Sewgon79
lx3as
Opiletool
nisai
2fine2fast
Aphrygian
Olu317
Obalufon
geosegun
Samuk
Prolog
AreaFada2
Sarah20A
Valirex
Ghostwon
Davidnazee
Samuk
Well, this is long established.

Benin made clothes were traded by Portuguese along South Western Coast of Africa and beyond. I remember a detailed record by the Portuguese of items Da Souza, the Queen of Ngola (now roughly Angola), was buried with, clearly including expensive clothes from Benin empire alongside gold, silver and other precious items.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 8:11pm On Jul 31, 2020
AreaFada2:

Benin made clothes were traded by Portuguese along South Western Coast of Africa and beyond. I remember a detailed record by the Portuguese of items Da Souza, the Queen of Ngola (now roughly Angola) clearly including expensive clothes from Benin empire alongside gold, silver and other precious items.

When you read something like that post it for easy accessibility for many who are doing research and also post the link too, dont just read and go, for those people who are doing research would make things easier for them
The last time i debated TAO11 on benin sewing clothes i lost because i didn't have articles to back it up,

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 8:12pm On Jul 31, 2020
Etinosa1234:
please How do u get this books

Go and read benin civil war by jstor...... It is noted in the article
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by AreaFada2: 10:47pm On Jul 31, 2020
gregyboy:

When you read something like that post it for easy accessibility for many who are doing resese and post the link too, dont just read and go, for people who are doing research would make things easier for them
The last time i debated TAO11 on benin sewing clothes i lost because i didn't have articles to back it up,

Oh, I read this like 15 years ago o. TAO11 was probably in nappies then. But that was not something I thought anyone didn't already know a bit about.

We say locally that prior to the Europeans, we didn't wear plantain leaves. We were already very adapt at use of cotton before colonialism. Both the wool for clothing, the seed and leaves for food and the bark and leaves for medicine.

It's current generation from some other tribes trying to rewrite history.

You didn't loose any argument with her sir. Common sense won on your side.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by davidnazee: 1:49am On Aug 01, 2020
gregyboy:

When you read something like that post it for easy accessibility for many who are doing resese and post the link too, dont just read and go, for people who are doing research would make things easier for them

And how did Tao11 win? lies and falsehood don't win an argument.. U didn't loose bro.

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 9:43pm On Aug 02, 2020
Needlesd to say that i totally disagree with the notion that the enemies arent out there away from our great continent.

I must stress this with the best of intentions.

The concept is great, yet, dont get dragged into bigotry, discrimiation and or prejudce when there are more better perhaps more filled with decorum that one could express these same history.

History is meant to be odourless and as well free from unecessary slurs, sentiments and or manufactured hatred.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 10:06pm On Aug 02, 2020
How i wish OP could've done justice to the thread rather than attempt to pepetuate an outdated and counterproductive manufactured hatred that foreign extreemist ideologies aimed to implant as per social engineering of those times.

First off, i was hoping that the content would be soley aiming at the correct target.

What target did i presume you ask?

'Benin wore clothes and also sold clothes to the European', that itself should be a battering ram to the false notion that is peddled by Eurocentrism.

The notion that Africans havent been wearing clothes before anyone else, the thread shows such to be false.

Furthermore, historians go on to prove the fact that Africans are the ones who taught the world the importance of clothes.

These are the narrative that ought to be noted here.

Leave all the manufactured hatred to the bigots, liars and fakers.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 10:26pm On Aug 02, 2020
AreaFada2:

Benin made clothes were traded by Portuguese along South Western Coast of Africa and beyond. I remember a detailed record by the Portuguese of items Da Souza, the Queen of Ngola (now roughly Angola), was buried with, clearly including expensive clothes from Benin empire alongside gold, silver and other precious items.

Precisely, yet, what has that got to does with the self-hatred that Op has.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 10:27pm On Aug 02, 2020
@greyboy, who taught you to hate yourself?

Yes the point you was trying to make, the point being that Africans experienced civilisation before anyone else, is a legitimate one.

No, your self hatred isnt legitimate.

You still have the time to make amends.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 11:32pm On Aug 02, 2020
Amujale:
@greyboy, who taught you to hate yourself?

Yes the point you was trying to make, the point being that Africans experienced civilisation before anyone else, is a legitimate one.

No, your self hatred isnt legitimate.

You still have the time to make amends.

the white are not the problem we blacks arr after the bini artworks was taken to Europe it gave a new perception against what they had thought about Africans, the artworks and ife artwork help to rewrite that thought, but we again proved them wrong am when we decided not to develope beyond the state they meant us,

And you yorubas keep selling us to the north which makes me dislike your tribe
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 11:56pm On Aug 02, 2020
gregyboy:
..the bini artworks was taken to Europe it gave a new perception against what they had thought about Africans..

And what perception is that, i certainly havent come accross this ellusive perception you refer to here, and ive studied a vast amount of Eurocentric literature.

These narratives werent anything to write home about.

Perhaps you want to educate us on the perception that Eurocentric writers have on Africans?

More importantly, i think STOLE is the accurate terminology you meant to use here.

Not simply taken to Europe but stolen, confiscated, wrongly obtained.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 12:04am On Aug 03, 2020
gregyboy:
the white are not the problem we blacks are..

Eventhough, i dont really buy into this white and black thing regarding humanity, i suppose you meant those with Eurocentric views such as yours are, yes that makes perfect sense.

Anyone who knows history would always come to the conclusion that foreign distruption is the defining factor in terms of the current status on out continent.

Where should i start?

The numerous slave trades that the foreign warmongers brought to the continent in their quest to steal, plunder, pillage and exploit the continent, or the countless physcological probes that inflicted upon innnocent people or perhaps, again slavery, colonisation, exploitation to name but a few.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 12:06am On Aug 03, 2020
gregyboy:
the white are not the problem we blacks are..

Such isnt merely ignorance but is the definition of self-hatred.

Who told you to hate yourself?
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 12:07am On Aug 03, 2020
Amujale:

And what perception is that, i certainly havent come accross this ellusive perception you refer to here, and ive studied a vast amount of Eurocentric literature.

These narratives werent anything to write home about.

Perhaps you want to educate us on the perception that Eurocentric writers have on Africans?

More importantly, i think STOLE is the accurate terminology you meant to use here.

Not simply taken to Europe but stolen, confiscated, wrongly obtained.

White aint the issue dont make them one, they did their wrongs they moved on, but we are still stickied at that same levels they meant us,

Have you flied over nigeria at night you will see complete darkness, if a white media reports that we will call it rascism

White are not our problems african leaders are

The Europeans lied to their people to make eurocentrism a Supior race,
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 12:07am On Aug 03, 2020
gregyboy:

And you yorubas keep selling us to the north which makes me dislike your tribe

Youre reverse psychology has failed you once again.

Get Yoruba nuts out of your mouth.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 12:08am On Aug 03, 2020
Amujale:

Such isnt merely ignorance but is the definition of self-hatred.

Who told you to hate yourself?

You're a rascist bro, african leaders are the problem not the pink men
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 12:10am On Aug 03, 2020
gregyboy:

White aint the issue dont make them one, they did their wrongs they moved on,..

And what wrongs is that?

Explain.

I guess you are the mouth piece for the mzungus, right?

Go ahead and eplain to us what wrong the mzungus did and how you think they've moved on.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 12:11am On Aug 03, 2020
Amujale:

Youre reverse psychology has failed you once again.

Get Yoruba nuts out of your mouth.

You cant deniel the fact they always sell us to the north, 2019 election can serve as proves
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 12:13am On Aug 03, 2020
gregyboy:

You cant deniel the fact they always sell us to the north, 2019 election can serve as proves

You are wasting your ink with those nonsensical claims.

Stick to my questioning.

Im waiting for you to address the questions posed earlier.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 12:13am On Aug 03, 2020
Amujale:

Eventhough, i dont really buy into this white and black thing regarding humanity, i suppose you meant those with Eurocentric views such as yours are, yes that makes perfect sense.

Anyone who knows history would always come to the conclusion that foreign distruption is the defining factor in terms of the current status on out continent.

Where should i start?

The numerous slave trades that the foreign warmongers brought to the continent in their quest to steal, plunder, pillage and exploit the continent, or the countless physcological probes that inflicted upon innnocent people or perhaps, again slavery, colonisation, exploitation to name but a few.

I would reply this tomorrow
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 12:16am On Aug 03, 2020
gregyboy:

What?

Now you are losing it.

Theres nothing prejudce or discrimiantory about pointing out crimes against humanity that was perpetrated by foreigners, it would be discriminatory to our parents if we dont keep banging on about the past attrocities.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Amujale(m): 12:35am On Aug 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Neocolonisation and the shadow governments that control things from outside public view are the real problem.

Stealing is bad. FULLSTOP

Yet, our political leaders steal millions of dollars, alledgedly, however, the neocolonialist and shadow governments steal trillions of dollars.

Get rid of the neocolonialist, and defeat corruption of the political class.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO11(f): 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2020
Hmmm! Let see what firsthand reports say:

“There are some curious statements about the requirements of royal permission before the people are allowed to wear clothing. Thus D. R. tells us : “Maidens and boys all go perfectly nude* until they marry or are otherwise disposed of, or that the king grants them license to put on some ornament or dress; then they become very cheerful and rejoice very much at the friendship and benevolence of the king which he has shown and proved to them; they then ornament and bedeck their bodies to the utmost, paint and daub themselves with white earth or colour, and hold a great festival; they sit in their houses in great splendour and magnificence, and many people then come to them and congratulate them as if they were a bride." So too, according to Dapper, “No man is allowed to wear any dress at all at court before he has been clothed by the king; nor let his hair grow before this has been done. There are men at the King's court, TWENTY and TWENTY-FOUR YEARS OLD, who, without any semblance of shame go about naked, only wearing a chain of corals or jasper round their necks. But when the King gives them clothes, he usually presents them at the same time with a wife, thus making them from boys to men. After this time they always wear clothes and let their hair grow without being obliged to shave it off with a knife anymore. Likewise, the WOMEN are not allowed to wear clothes, unless they have been provided with them by their husbands. So you can see there, WOMEN of TWENTY and TWENTY-FIVE YEARS going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."

Reference: H.Ling Roth, “Great Benin, Its Customs, Art and Horrors”, F. King & Sons Ltd., (1903), p.24.

I can’t believe these guys were still a bunch of d!ck swinging and b00bs swinging Barba.rians even up until as recent as the year 1903! Wow! shocked

See my following comment for a comparison of the foregoing account with a contrasting account by Richard Lander from Yorubaland in the year 1826.

cc: 900winer, Emilokoiyawon, Keraxes,

2 Likes

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO11(f): 5:35pm On Aug 07, 2020
Consider the following description of an interesting scene of some Yoruba girls near Oyo-Ile in January 1826. Lander wrote:

“At noon we descended into a delightful valley, situated in the bottom of a ridge of rocks, which effectually hid it from observation till one approached almost close to it. It was intersected with shimmering streams and purling rills, the elegant palm, and the broad leaved banana, covered with foliage, embellishing the sheltered and beautifully romantic spot. In the center was a sheet of water, resembling an artificial pond, in which were numbers of young maidens from the neighboring town of Tschow, some of them reposing at full length on its verdant banks, and some frisking and basking in the sunbeams, whilst others of their companions were sporting with the Naiads [sic] of the sacred stream; but all of them were visibly delighted with the pleasant recreations which they were enjoying so prettily and innocently. We stood for a season gazing on them with pleasure; but no sooner were our white faces observed by the young ladies, than their amusements instantly ceased, and the sable beauties simultaneously rushing from the water, snatched up their apparel, and with their uncovered associates, concealing their faces with their hands, ran away and hid themselves behind the trunk of trees, looking as coy and bashful as did their mother Eve in the Garden of Eden.”

Reference: Richard Lander’s account quoted in Drewal et al.: Yoruba: Nine Centuries of African Art and Thought, 1.

cc: 900winer, Emilokoiyawon, Keraxes.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amazing Facts About The Igbo Ijele Masquerade / See Photos From Superlative 1-year-old Birthday Party Of An Edo Prince / Nigerian Man Married To Non-nigerian Wife - Reloaded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.