Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,701 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 (65479 Views)

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 / Is Harry Akande The Reason Shoprite Is Quitting Nigeria After Negating On Deals? / Reactions As Exxonmobil Prepares To Leave Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by obowunmi(m): 12:04pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
The Chinese or Indian will buy it and increase prices of products.

They would change the every day low pricing strategy of Shoprite to premium pricing

They would also stock shoprite with expensive foreign brands or Indian and Chinese brands.

It would reduce customers but increase revenue.

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Fearlez: 12:20pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

They would change the every day low pricing strategy of Shoprite to premium pricing

They would also stock shoprite with expensive foreign brands or Indian and Chinese brands.

no one is buying ShopRite, it will die. And the land will go back to the state governments. Kingsway once held sway in Nigeria. No one believed it would die. ShopRite is going same way .

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

You’re very learned in economics and business.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by afroxyz: 12:25pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

This theory only works in text books. In a country that is the poverty capital, you are selling at premium.

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by pacespot(m): 12:25pm On Aug 03, 2020
post=92403340:

They are on top of that particular business.
We don't think it's really about competition.

Thanks for the mention Lady Excellency.
You are right,
You are very very right madam!
Shoprite can never compete with us Igbo merchants,
Is that all?
Cc Simplyleo,
Omenka and all great nairalanders.

Everything is chest beating to these people shocked
It is true that south African economy is struggling, so also their companies, but it is not down to igbos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by HomeOfMe(f): 12:25pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

https://www.news24.com/fin24/Companies/shoprite-exits-nigeria-after-15-years-20200803
There's no need sugar coating it,our economy isn't favourable to them. Nothing works in Nigeria. If not that Multichoice is a South African company,it would've folded up since,and we would've been stuck with just NTA,TVC,SILVERBIRD, CHANNELS,AIT, GALAXY,etc.

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by afroxyz: 12:26pm On Aug 03, 2020
iamadonis2:

You’re very learned in economics and business.
very learned in economic theory. This is Nigeria.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by HomeOfMe(f): 12:27pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

https://www.news24.com/fin24/Companies/shoprite-exits-nigeria-after-15-years-20200803
There's no need sugar coating it,our economy isn't favourable to them. Nothing works in Nigeria. If not that Multichoice is a South African company,it would've folded up since,and we would've been stuck with just NTA,TVC,SILVERBIRD, CHANNELS,AIT, GALAXY,etc. 0
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by olumide006: 12:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
A Smart Way to Make Money During COVID-19
Are you looking for a smart and legal way to earn money during COVID-19?
Start a professional cleaning business today, and specialize in medical cleaning, office cleaning, or residential cleaning
WANT TO START A PROFITABLE BUSINESS? AND EARN A DEGREE?

LEARN HOW TO START A PROFESSIONAL CLEANING BUSINESS IN THIS INTENSE, ONLINE CERTIFICATION COURSE!

PROMO! PROMO!
₦35,000
NOW: ₦9,900

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Cousin9999: 12:32pm On Aug 03, 2020
Smells like a huge opportunity for all the local grocers and businessmen pushed out when ShopRite appeared.

Hu$tle!
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 03, 2020
Who says shoprite goods are cheap before, unless you don't know what's up and your ain't no economist like me, shoprite has never been cheap mehn gbabe
Iamgrey5:

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Olawalelead(m): 12:39pm On Aug 03, 2020
Good bye...
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 03, 2020
tot:

You either are avoiding the key issues or clearly do not get it. No point continuing this conversation.

I am on my own lane with my key issues while you are free to stay on yours.

My key issues are valid while yours are too. I do not need to align with yours.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Mindclinic: 12:51pm On Aug 03, 2020
Chei � What will Ilorin people do now, those people take shoprite as paradise, esp if u want to win the heart of one Ilorin babe just take her to shoprite. Eyaaaaaah!

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by xreal: 12:55pm On Aug 03, 2020
WandaMaximoff:
And they said our economy is doing well.

No economy can do well without stable electricity. Just imagine the cost of fuel to power all Shoprite outlets nationwide.

Majority of entrepreneurs are merely surviving in Nigeria.

That's why crime thrives and is been hailed in Nigeria.
Do the crime through politics or laptop.

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by bigpicture001: 1:03pm On Aug 03, 2020
Luckydubby7:
I saw this coming.
Competition in that business is just too much.

It is good for the country as it will help stabilize the dollar
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by ensamy(m): 1:03pm On Aug 03, 2020
APC has destroyed Nigeria , we are now waiting for China to come and takeover and recolonize Nigeria.
Who ever brought this evil party to Nigeria. Satan is his brother. shocked shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by DexterousOne(m): 1:06pm On Aug 03, 2020
LadyExcellency:

It's all about competition. Southeasterns meanly the Igbo's dominate the market in Nigeria. Shoprite can't compete with Igbo merchants who are not only conquering and dominating commerce in West Africa but are expanding into the heart of Sourt Africa.

Igbo merchants believe in profit generated through turnover rather than per sale.

Igbo traders
As against the biggest retail chain on the continent?

Please dont make me laugh abeg
Please grin cheesy grin

Which igbo trader can even meet up to half of what shoprite has achieved in terms of market cap, country outreach, liquidity and all the metrics that matter grin grin

Okay let me make it simpler for you

Name one very big igbo merchant brand name that has a big reach

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by GreaterFuture1(m): 1:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
Jman24:
No wonder the whole place was a shadow of itself yesterday. A whole Sunday
Are most of their stocks and priducts still there for sale?
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by DexterousOne(m): 1:12pm On Aug 03, 2020
SmartPolician:

Akuko

In a country where 80% of the population do not make up to $2 per day, increasing prices will only send ShopRite (or its later name) to its untimely death.

Notice that most Nigerians preferred to buy things in local markets until ShopRite came in and changed the game with their relatively affordable prices and good shopping experience.

Nigerians are veryyyyyyyy poor and the government has not done enough to create a much broader middle class that can patronize those retail chains in the event of price hikes
truth
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by DexterousOne(m): 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2020
GamalNasser:

Which competitors ? You obviously don't own a business so please stay one side when business owners are talking about Buhari Economy

No mind them cheesy

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Gerrard59(m): 1:14pm On Aug 03, 2020
martineverest:
exactly..that's how Walmart is keeping up with amazon

You people tend to overrate E-commerce businesses in Nigeria. grin

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Lucky5000(m): 1:16pm On Aug 03, 2020
Go where ?

Shoprite will be like we die here together

Only if you know the money they are making in Nigeria

Is like saying DSTV, Multi Choice wants to leave Nigeria
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by maiquel: 1:16pm On Aug 03, 2020
NA only the bread I go miss...
Good news for Justrite and other local superstores

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Gerrard59(m): 1:17pm On Aug 03, 2020
martineverest:
even the Naija owned megastores offer online services and delivery... ShopRite was too complacent...if DStv isn't careful Netflix,Disney plus and Amazon will kick them out

grin grin

Unto say Internet bandwidth prices can be afforded by the vast majority of Nigerians or 4G services are available across the country?

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2020
Tetehjewels:

I am on my own lane with my key issues while you are free to stay on yours.

My key issues are valid while yours are too. I do not need to align with yours.

Who needs your alignment?

Anyway, it is clear to anyone with eyes that there is a PROBLEM with the way this country is run. Ignore it all you want, it is there.

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 1:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
xreal:

No economy can do well without stable electricity. Just imagine the cost of fuel to power all Shoprite outlets nationwide.

Majority of entrepreneurs are merely surviving in Nigeria.

That's why crime thrives and is been hailed in Nigeria.
Do the crime through politics or laptop.

Exactly - naira is being devalued at a fast rate, there is no stable power, no security, traffic everywhere.
People will not face the truth, they will be defending govt for peanuts.

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
larrydotcom:
Good luck to shoprite in their endeavour if they so desire to leave the biggest market in Africa. Though it's time we patronize naija products, we already have shoprite replacement.

Meanwhile...
Here's your world of possibilities....
Imagine what it would be like using our hi-tech European products to your advantage and convenience.
Partner with us today at ELEVATOR TECHNOLOGIES COMPANY LIMITED for better and consistence users experience of home lift, escalators and passengers lift.

At ELTECO, it is always a "win-win situation"
We also offer advice on shaft and Lift related matters to our clients.

We are at 15b, Olusoji Idowu Street, Ilupeju, Lagos.
We've got you covered throughout the federation.

Should you require further clarification, kindly visit our website at www.elevatortechnologies.com.ng or contact Lanre on 07035042573 for further details. .......

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by seguno2: 1:34pm On Aug 03, 2020
Or11:
Nigeria is such is dumb country. Imagine suspending withdrawal on Nigerian ATM cards abroad when many Nigerians are stuck abroad because of the COVID 19 pandemic. The Embassies are also shut. Ordinary 24 hours power seems impossible. Sowore should do his revolution fast abeg.

Please what does Sowore have that you don’t have

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Redman44(m): 1:34pm On Aug 03, 2020
DW Sports in the UK has just gone into administration smiley smiley smiley smiley. Many businesses, Supermarkets and Stores in the UK are laying off staff at the moment. So why all the hullabaloo about Shoprite exiting Nigeria? Businesses fail all over the world for different reasons. Only the strong businesses survive in the countries they are operating in. Nigeria has a very competitive and harsh business environment in which only the strongest ventures survive. Small supermarkets in Nigerian neighborhoods will always have customers because they are closer to their customers. And there are lots of small scale supermarkets in cities all over Nigeria. Shoprite cannot compete effectively with these small supermarkets who have a maximum of 1-3 branches. My mother once owned a small shop when I was very young. I know how many goods we sold daily as I had to record every sale in a notebook cool cool cool. I was like 6-8 years old then. My mum was very good at getting products people in the vicinity of her Shop needed. People will rather shop quickly at the Small store or Shop closest to them when they want to eat, drink something or brush their teeth, bathe etc. No one wants to go a bit further away for something they can get at a better price in their area. Shoprite failed at SERVICE DELIVERY. Cheers.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Joshforeal: 1:39pm On Aug 03, 2020
post=92403330:
#TeamProudlyNigeria.

We can have all these and much more indigenously in our darling nation.

If Supersport follow suit,
an indigenous cable TV will stand at last after many caved in along the way.

We should be the GIANT of AFRICA that people know us as.

It is Nigeria that should be having corporations and companies like this in all African countries,
not the other way round
Unfortunately, it is not so cos of the 'many' bad leaders that have ruled our nation since independence.

Gradually we will get there as a nation!
We will continue to believe in her.

You've said it all.
A better Nigeria is all we want.

Really?
Na only shoprite bread pain u for dis matter?
Mr FOLA the FFO! cheesy

Stomach infrastructure tinzzzzz....... cool

Lol cheesy.
Buy the ones that will last you till Xmas time o.
Safe trip!
Funny!!

BTW, we no be brother o,
We are simply WE!
Nuisance

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Pictures of PUBLIC LAUNDRY services In The U.S. / Opay Risks Ban As Report Finds Them Guilty Of Offering "Crazy Loans" / How To Open And Run A School Successfully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.