Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason (40052 Views)

My Experience While Hunting For Job / My Experience Working As A Bet9ja Cashier / See Twelve Things You Must Experience While Going For The Nigerian Military Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by MrOjay1(m): 2:34pm On Aug 03, 2020
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day depending on if you were able to finish the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a broke man) and asked him when we are to leave for the place. He said we'll leave for Agbara the next day early in the morning to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala', I said.

We set off the next morning and got there before 7 or thereabouts. When the supervisor saw me said, 'oboy as you dey lenge lenge (slim) like this, you sure say you go fit do this kind work so??'

I told him i could. Shey no be my mates dey do am?

I started the work which was carrying mixed concrete and sand up into the second floor of the building.

The work no easy o. I wan die true to God but i just chinned up and continued. I worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i continued being that i wanted my full pay for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded stairs, my limbs had become weak and my eyes dazed, i had no energy left again to climb up to the second floor so while trying to muster up energy as i climbed, I mis-stepped my footings and was about falling off the stairs down to the ground laden with bamboo, nails, stones and co far below but was saved by the hand of another worker coming up the stairs behind me. He had already noticed my fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

My headpan had already crashed down the ground.

I wonder what would have happened to me. Probably would have died.

The supervisor heard of it and was furious, lambasting me saying,' shebi i tell you say you no fit do this work? Na so you for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house now now, he said as he put his hands in his pocket and brought out 1400 as my payment.

I protested and demanded my full payment but he wasn't listening and was threatening to call the police.

I left the place, went home and used half the money to treat the sprain and pains i was feeling all over my body.

307 Likes 17 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Taywon: 2:43pm On Aug 03, 2020
Lol....

Bro no be every job u fit chuk head ooo.... Even as a professional you look b4 u leap to avoid stories dat touch....

My guy wey try diz labourer work ontop say hin broke was admitted for 3 days in the hospital... I just dey laugh am... Cus e no easy but man gats dey carefull

231 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Abcruz(m): 2:43pm On Aug 03, 2020
Hmmm
Well I thank God for your life!

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by MrOjay1(m): 2:46pm On Aug 03, 2020
Taywon:
Lol....

Bro no be every job u fit chuk head ooo.... Even as a professional you look b4 u leap to avoid stories dat touch....

My guy wey try diz labourer work ontop say hin broke was admitted for 3 days in the hospital... I just dey laugh am... Cus e no easy but man gats dey carefull

Bro no be lie you talk but wetin man go do na?
Things dey very hard now.
If i no do am,how i go take chop?

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by MrOjay1(m): 2:49pm On Aug 03, 2020
Abcruz:
Hmmm
Well I thank God for your life!

Thank God,bro.

I didn't really realise the gravity of what happened at that moment because i was angry and felt cheated that i was short-paid but when i got home and analysed the situation,i realised it could have been much worse.

142 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 03, 2020
According to the lyrics from kiss daniel. Nor go dey do pass yourself. Bro thank GOD for your life. please do not allow circumstances of life to make you endanger your life, our country has forced a lot of old men and women into doing the same job that almost got you killed and in the long run, these old people died as a result of hard labour. most NIGERIANS that died at the age of 60 to 70 years of age due to health complications, actually died due to years of stress and hard labour, walking in the sun, no electricity, no balance diets, no Excercise and yet people be shouting APC, PDP!!! last last na the common man dey suffer and these common man has the power to vote for change and yet they sell their rights for rice, oil, beans during eletion. NIGERIANS are the worst set of people on earth when it comes to choosing of leaders.

100 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Redman44(m): 2:58pm On Aug 03, 2020
MrOjay1:

Bro no be lie you talk but wetin man go do na?
Things dey very hard now.
If i no do am,how i go take chop?

Bro, I thank God for your life. However, I think you should apprentice yourself to a Plumber, Painter or Carpenter and learn some skills from them. If you humble yourself and apprentice yourself to any of them, they will take you along to sites and they will pay you some stipend everyday for being their assistant. If you learn quickly, you can start doing your own private jobs when you are free. Carrying pans of cement and sand etc is a very difficult job. You have to be extra strong to survive on jobs like that. Plumbing, Painting and Carpentry bring in more money if you are gifted in those areas. Cheers.

207 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by calaway: 3:01pm On Aug 03, 2020
Next time beforehand take 2 tab of panadol and again every 3hrs while the job is on. Its all u need to last a day of tedious labor and have no pains later. Do this as a gentleman.. But Ur mates u saw doing it effortlessly use tramadol or splif to tilt the odds.

That guy that saved you. Look for him and thank him.. . He is God s angel watching over you

196 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by MrOjay1(m): 3:05pm On Aug 03, 2020
Redman44:

Bro, I thank God for your life. However, I think you should apprentice yourself to a Plumber, Painter or Carpenter and learn some skills from them. If you humble yourself and apprentice yourself to any of them, they will take you along to sites and they will pay you some stipend everyday for being their assistant. If you learn quickly, you can start doing your own private jobs when you are free. Carrying pans of cement and sand etc is a very difficult job. You have to be extra strong to survive on jobs like that. Plumbing, Painting and Carpentry bring in more money if you are gifted in those areas. Cheers.

Thanks brother.

I'm still a student at UNN so i'm thinking i may not have the time to fully go under someone as an apprentice.
I just felt i had to do something to get money for my needs.There is no money coming in from anywhere.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by MrOjay1(m): 3:08pm On Aug 03, 2020
calaway:
Next time beforehand take 2 tab of panadol and again every 3hrs while the job is on. Its all u need to last a day of tedious labor and have no pains later. Do this as a gentleman.. But Ur mates u saw doing it effortlessly use tramadol or splif to tilt the odds.

That guy that saved you. Look for him and thank him.. . He is God s angel watching over you

He is indeed,bro.

14 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Ameboperoo(m): 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
This reminded me of my days in the Poly. I went for a job like like this and ended up spending like 3times of what i was paid, on drugs because I couldn't even afford to go to hospital.
It is well with you bros. Thank God for your life. You will live to tell the story one day. I feel like shedding tears right now.

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by MrOjay1(m): 3:35pm On Aug 03, 2020
Ameboperoo:
This reminded me of my days in the Poly. I went for a job like like this and ended up spending like 3times of what i was paid, on drugs because I couldn't even afford to go to hospital.
It is well with you bros. Thank God for your life. You will live to tell the story one day. I feel like shedding tears right now.

Amen,thanks brother.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by thunderbj: 8:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
I did this labour work too this last Friday,it was not easy at all. I carried three cement bags,I carried the first two when work started then I had enough strength and carried the last one in the evening. The last one I carried made me to regret going to the work cos I put it on my head.
it was just like the cement compressed my head with my chest and my heart together, make God just open way for person those work na no go area iswr

225 Likes 21 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by helinues: 8:49pm On Aug 03, 2020
Lucky you..

But why not hustle with no muscle?

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening,my friend in the hood
called me on phone to inform me of a job
opening in an ongoing construction site
somewhere around Agbara(Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day
depending on if you were able to finish
the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a
broke man) and asked him when we are
to leave for the place.He said we'll leave for
Agbara the next day early in the morning
to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala',i said.

We set off the next morning and got there
before 7 or thereabouts.
When the supervisor saw me said,
'oboy as you dey lenge lenge(slim) like
this,you sure say you go fit do this kind
work so??'

I told him i could.Shey no be my mates dey
do am?

I started the work which was carrying
mixed concrete and sand up into the
second floor of the building.

The work no easy o.I wan die true to God
but i just chinned up and continued.I
worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i
continued being that i wanted my full pay
for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded
stairs,my limbs had become weak and my
eyes dazed,i had no energy left again to
climb up to the second floor so while
trying to muster up energy as i climbed,i
mis-stepped my footings and was about
falling off the stairs down to the ground
laden with bamboo,nails.stones and co far
below but was saved by the hand of
another worker coming up the stairs
behind me.He had already noticed my
fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

My headpan had already crashed down
the ground.

I wonder what would have happened to
me.Probably would have died.

The supervisor heard of it and was
furious,lambasting me saying,'shebi i tell
you say you no fit do this work?Na so you
for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house
now now,he said as he put his hands in
his pocket and brought out 1400 as my
payment.

I protested and demanded my full
payment but he wasn't listening and was
threatening to call the police.

I left the place,went home and used half
the money to treat the sprain and pains i
was feeling all over my body.

That's how it is at the beginning.
Your body will adjust.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 04, 2020
thunderbj:
I did this labour work too this last Friday,it was not easy at all. I carried three cement bags,I carried the first two when work started then I had enough strength and carried the last one in the evening. The last one I carried made me to regret going to the work cos I put it on my head.
it was just like the cement compressed my head with my chest and my heart together, make God just open way for person those work na no go area iswr
Just 3 bags?
Oboy go gym o.

24 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Ishilove: 1:26pm On Aug 04, 2020
N1,400 for back breaking work? It is not even enough for tfare these days.

God, what a country where the divide between the rich and poor is as wide as the Atlantic ocean, and yet the youths come to the social media to support and fight themselves over their oppressors. Our minds have really been spiritually caged in this country, which is why we act like zombies in the face of severe hardship.

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by akure1stson: 1:41pm On Aug 04, 2020
cry i feel ur pain bro God will giv u better job in jesus name..

20 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Queenlovely(f): 1:41pm On Aug 04, 2020
Omoyele Sowore

122 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Kwamecron(m): 1:41pm On Aug 04, 2020
Uuuh
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by poiunt: 1:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
German German no be for weak people

5 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by realstars: 1:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
Too Murch Of Everything De Kill Person.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by paulolee(m): 1:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
thankGOD for really saving your life and you were really lucky if didn't end up worst that what happened..
that labour work u see isnt for everyone and mind you, some of those guys that do engage in it always take different drugs or drinks lto boost their strength..
i happened to taste the work bk then in my year1 that i was dead broke, a friend took me to the site and we pleaded to join them and the agreed..
our work was to carry mixed cement on head pan to where needed and the pay was 1'5 then..
after 2hrs of non stop work, i was soo weak and i walked to the supervisor incharge and told him that am done and needed the money that i have worked for to use and eat..
the guy jus burst laff, give me 2h to use buy rice and no even add at least N10 for pure water..

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by MorataFC: 1:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
Hmmm
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Openbusiness4: 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2020
shocked
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by sotall(m): 1:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
grin

What happened to you was normal. Your body isn't used to that kind of work.

You have to keep on doing it and within a short time your body will become adapted to doing it.

The only thing you need is to eat well.

If that was the only job fir you to survive, wont you do it?

I remember working at a site during one of those numerous ASUU strikes. I know how I felt the first day at work. But after working for some days, i adapted

22 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by bbbabes(f): 1:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
Life is a battle field. May we continue to win

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Tinax(f): 1:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
To be a man no easy ohhh....

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Kriss216: 1:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
Indomie children.

No guy trained with Fufu or Garri will disgrace himself like this.
Something wey mothers and grandmas dey do for warri.
If you jonse like this back then when growing up, my evil and beloved friends will laugh you taya. Shame no go gree you come out for 6 months.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 04, 2020
This country is not just sweet for some set of people... Life no balance ooo.
Better go and learn a trade brother. No one cares in this country. If you perish you perish

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by sagitariusbaby(m): 1:46pm On Aug 04, 2020
This particular labour belongs to women in Delta state. I marvel each time I see these old women doing what I cannot dare.

I curse poverty and lack to it's root in Jesus name

44 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable / Ecobank Graduate Trainee 2021 / Job Winning CV...(Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.