Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,238 members, 7,860,532 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:12 PM

Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? (676 Views)

Cost Of 1KG Of Catfish In Nigeria / Earthen Pond For Rent In Ibadan. / The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 4:40pm On Aug 03, 2020
Please, say something if you have knowledge of catfish production. Thanks.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Mraphel: 4:44pm On Aug 03, 2020
Olofin2:
Please, say something if you have knowledge of catfish production. Thanks.
Yes
It also depends on the following reasons

The population of the catfish

The size of the catfish

The breed of the catfish

If you're unfeeding them at least give them enough maggots or animals Caracas
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 4:54pm On Aug 03, 2020
Mraphel:

Yes
It also depends on the following reasons

The population of the catfish

The size of the catfish

The breed of the catfish

If you're unfeeding them at least give them enough maggots or animals Caracas

I'm currently feeding them once in two days because I'm short of cash now. But they eat to fill whole of their gut. Can they still lose weight like this?
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Mraphel: 4:59pm On Aug 03, 2020
Olofin2:

I'm currently feeding them once in two days because I'm short of cash now. But they eat to fill whole of their gut. Can they still lose weight like this?
Give me the estimate of their population. If they're less than 200 two days it's OK but more than that will cause the stunted growth
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 5:01pm On Aug 03, 2020
Mraphel:

Give me the estimate of their population. If they're less than 200 two days it's OK but more than that will cause the stunted growth

500 each in two bigger ponds.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Unclekayfarms: 5:01pm On Aug 03, 2020
The big ones will start eating the smaller ones yet they will be underfed
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Unclekayfarms: 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2020
Olofin2:

500 each in two bigger ponds.
That's a lot bro...if they're up to six months sell them
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 5:05pm On Aug 03, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

That's a lot bro...if they're up to six months sell them

Two months after stocking juveniles.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 5:07pm On Aug 03, 2020
Unclekayfarms:
The big ones will start eating the smaller ones yet they will be underfed

Please, someone said I should not let them be very big before selling them. He said there is no market for very big catfish at the moment. Is it true?
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Unclekayfarms: 5:12pm On Aug 03, 2020
Olofin2:

Please, someone said I should not let them be very big before selling them. He said there is no market for very big catfish at the moment. Is it true?
Untrue
If you're in d state capital...the bigger ones are more profitable especially when is more than a year
The price ranges from 2500 to 3000 per KG

2 Likes

Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Unclekayfarms: 5:13pm On Aug 03, 2020
Olofin2:

Two months after stocking juveniles.
Sell them off after a moth
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 5:19pm On Aug 03, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

Sell them off after a moth

Thanks. I will sell them after a month. They look big already. I'm using only floating feeds.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by bilag17(m): 11:04pm On Aug 03, 2020
@olofin2
1. Why did you stock fish that you cannot feed? It's like planning to fail, even from on set.
2. Where is your location?
3. Which feed are you using?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 11:22pm On Aug 03, 2020
bilag17:
@olofin2
1. Why did you stock fish that you cannot feed? It's like planning to fail, even from on set.
2. Where is your location?
3. Which feed are you using?

I planned to borrow from bank while I keep using my salary to buy feed. Other things later started gulping the salary.

I'm in Oyo town

I started with Aller Aqua 0.9mm, 2mm, 3mm blue crown, now I'm using 4mm echo float.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by bilag17(m): 11:44pm On Aug 03, 2020
Olofin2:

I planned to borrow from bank while I keep using my salary to buy feed. Other things later started gulping the salary.

I'm in Oyo town

I started with Aller Aqua 0.9mm, 2mm, 3mm blue crown, now I'm using 4mm echo float.

What a hitch in your planning strategy? In fish farming, it's better when you have sufficient feeds because "No feed, No Gain".

The feeds you've been using are good.
Prioritize your expenses and look for a feed mill around the town, to compound feed. This may be of help to a certain extent, and you would have learnt something new. In every adversity, there's a lesson.
The big fishes will become bigger, eating the small ones because of insufficient feed.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Mraphel: 1:14pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olofin2:

I'm in Oyo town

Look for azola seed and plant it in your pond..catfish love eating azola
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by ademola1333(m): 2:34pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olofin2:

I'm in Oyo town

I am presently in Oyo town too. You can cut cost by making pellets for them locally.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2020
Mraphel:

Look for azola seed and plant it in your pond..catfish love eating azola

Please, enumerate how to plant it if you have successfully made it before sir. I don't want to rely on Google. Thanks
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 3:21pm On Aug 04, 2020
ademola1333:

I am presently in Oyo town too. You can cut cost by making pellets for them locally.

I made pellets the other time. Without lysine and methionine, I spent 250 naira per kg. If I use those two, that will be around 300 per kg. Echo float is 300 naira per kg. What do you suggest bro?
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Mraphel: 3:22pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olofin2:

Please, enumerate how to plant it if you have successfully made it before sir. I don't want to rely on Google. Thanks

Google "azolla for catfish"

Catfish love eating azolla and it will make them big but you don't need stop feeding.

Then visit this link cause I'm not a good writer

https://www.nairaland.com/4240009/how-successfully-cultivate-azolla-animals
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Mraphel: 3:23pm On Aug 04, 2020
After planting azola I will suggest you leave them for about a year for maximum profit
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 3:26pm On Aug 04, 2020
Mraphel:
After planting azola I will suggest you leave them for about a year for maximum profit
Thanks bro.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by ademola1333(m): 4:06pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olofin2:

I made pellets the other time. Without lysine and methionine, I spent 250 naira per kg. If I use those two, that will be around 300 per kg. Echo float is 300 naira per kg. What do you suggest bro?
How many grams on the average are the fishes now?
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 4:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
ademola1333:

How many grams on the average are the fishes now?

About 300 gram now.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by ademola1333(m): 4:17pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olofin2:

About 300 gram now.
You can make a good and balanced formula suitable for them in Oyo at #250 or lesser per kilo. I will tell you where to source the materials cheaply.
Re: Can Underfed Catfish In Earthen Pond Lose Weight? by Olofin2(m): 4:28pm On Aug 04, 2020
ademola1333:

You can make a good and balanced formula suitable for them in Oyo at #250 or lesser per kilo. I will tell you where to source the materials cheaply.

bestermill44 @ gmail. com

Please, describe the place for me and and give me the formula. Thanks. Please reach me through the email. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Table Size Catfish For Sale In Abuja / What Is The Price Of A Ton Of Palm Kernel. / Poultry Farmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.