Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,108 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off (1110 Views)

Innoson Chukwuma Gifts Rev. Jonas Benson Okoye G80 (2023 Model) - Pictures / Please I Need Help!!! My Honda CRV 2004 Cannot Rev Above 3000rpm. / VSC & Trac Off light On In Rx 330 Lexus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by EkoErrands: 7:15pm On Aug 03, 2020
I have this RX300 that hasn't been used since 2015. It has been packed for 5 years before I bought it.

I bought it in may and it has been packed since that time till August because I was busy on a project so I didnt have time for it.

Now I'm taking a look at it and when I turn on the engine everything works fine for the first 2 minutes then the TRACTION OFF sign comes on ...and immediately that happens the engine wont rev past 2200rpm anylonger. Even if I drive it on the highway the engine wont rev past 2200rpm.

The CHECK ENGINE light is on.
The BRAKE sign is also on.
My bluetooth OBD scanner returns p0305 missfire on cylinder 5.

Please I need help seriously...

Pls help me mention any nairaland that can help ...thanks
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by Bobbydell(m): 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2020
EkoErrands:
I have this RX300 that hasn't been used since 2015. It has been packed for 5 years before I bought it.

I bought it in may and it has been packed since that time till August because I was busy on a project so I didnt have time for it.

Now I'm taking a look at it and when I turn on the engine everything works fine for the first 2 minutes then the TRACTION OFF sign comes on ...and immediately that happens the engine wont rev past 2200rpm anylonger. Even if I drive it on the highway the engine wont rev past 2200rpm.

You need to change the ABS

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by Bobbydell(m): 7:47pm On Aug 03, 2020
Bobbydell:
You need to change the ABS
I sell ABS and master brake call or Whatsapp : 07033059769
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by sultaan(m): 8:32pm On Aug 03, 2020
EkoErrands:

You have to do a tune up on your engine, basically change all the spark plugs with the OEM replacement part , I will paste a picture of the emission sticker on the bonnet and the part number of the plugs you need using my Jeep as an example

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by sultaan(m): 8:35pm On Aug 03, 2020
That is the spark plugs for a WK keep.
It will not be cheap, but you can reset the code and move the coil from cylinder 5 to 3 and see it the gaiult changes to P0303 then you know it is the coil

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by sultaan(m): 8:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
At 170 thousand miles someone had replaced the original factory NGK with a Denso that was worn too.
Compare the old and new plug and there was no check engine light at this point just rough, but ran Soo smooth when I put new plugs in it

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by EkoErrands: 8:53pm On Aug 03, 2020
sultaan:

You have to do a tune up on your engine, basically change all the spark plugs with the OEM replacement part , I will paste a picture of the emission sticker on the bonnet and the part number of the plugs you need using my Jeep as an example

I have changed all the plugs last Saturday even the fuel pump is new...still no solution.

Though the plugs were used plugs
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by sultaan(m): 8:55pm On Aug 03, 2020
with what type of plug?

did you try to move the coil to another cylinder?

and you will have to reset the code for it to go away by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or use your scanner
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by EkoErrands: 9:14pm On Aug 03, 2020
sultaan:
with what type of plug?

did you try to move the coil to another cylinder?

and you will have to reset the code for it to go away by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or use your scanner

When I tried moving the coil, the code changed indicating all was not well with the coil. But the coil didnt quite fit well in the new location so I had to return it to as it was before.

But can that coil 5 cause the engine not to rev past 2200 2 minutes after a cold start and showing Trac Off on the dash?

I have cleared the codes countless times too
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by sultaan(m): 9:25pm On Aug 03, 2020
EkoErrands:

When I tried moving the coil, the code changed indicating all was not well with the coil. But the coil didnt quite fit well in the new location so I had to return it to as it was before.

But can that coil 5 cause the engine not to rev past 2200 2 minutes after a cold start and showing Trac Off on the dash?

I have cleared the codes countless times too

Yes it will, the engine is trying to give you the option of driving to the mechanic before you destroy your car driving it like that.
Your catalytic converter will be destroyed which is a lot more expensive.
Confirm that the coil is bad the replace, don't mess up your car

2 Likes

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by EkoErrands: 11:15pm On Aug 03, 2020
sultaan:

Yes it will, the engine is trying to give you the option of driving to the mechanic before you destroy your car driving it like that.
Your catalytic converter will be destroyed which is a lot more expensive.
Confirm that the coil is bad the replace, don't mess up your car

Ok....do you have correct proven indication of cylinder numbers on rx300 so I'm sure the coil I'm trying to change is coil 5
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by sultaan(m): 4:06am On Aug 04, 2020
EkoErrands:

Ok....do you have correct proven indication of cylinder numbers on rx300 so I'm sure the coil I'm trying to change is coil 5

https://www.autozone.com/diy/repair-guides/lexus-rx300-330-2000-06-firing-orders-repair-guide-p-0996b43f803792ea

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by EkoErrands: 9:55am On Aug 04, 2020
sultaan:

https://www.autozone.com/diy/repair-guides/lexus-rx300-330-2000-06-firing-orders-repair-guide-p-0996b43f803792ea

So I switched that coil 5 with 6 this morning and scanned it again
..now the fault has jumped to cylinder 6.

So are you saying that once I change this bad coil now this rev limiting issue will stop and the TRAC ON sign will disappear?

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by EkoErrands: 11:56am On Aug 04, 2020
sultaan:

After changing the coil, the scan yielded no other faults...even the TRAC OFF sign on the cluster has dissappeared....I'm so so happy as someone is interested in buying the car ...that's why I was desperate to diagnose and repair before he comes ...

Thank you very much

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by 9icetoo(m): 12:50pm On Aug 04, 2020
EkoErrands:

I have changed all the plugs last Saturday even the fuel pump is new...still no solution.

Though the plugs were used plugs
Remove those used plugs and use brand new plugs specified for your engine. Google the type of plug for your engine so you do not inadvertently repeat a mistake probably made by the previous owner.

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by 9icetoo(m): 12:51pm On Aug 04, 2020
EkoErrands:

After changing the coil, the scan yielded no other faults...even the TRAC OFF sign on the cluster has dissappeared....I'm so so happy as someone is interested in buying the car ...that's why I was desperate to diagnose and repair before he comes ...

Thank you very much
Just saw this. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by GreekDon: 5:46pm On Aug 04, 2020
Bobbydell:
I sell ABS and master brake call or Whatsapp : 07033059769

I am curious. Was this an innocent mistake, or an attempt to to sell your wares even when you are not sure if OP's ABS & brake systems are faulty?

2 Likes

Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by Bobbydell(m): 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
GreekDon:

I am curious. Was this an innocent mistake, or an attempt to to sell your wares even when you are not sure if OP's ABS & brake systems are faulty?
Read his comment, he said brake light is showing on the dashboard
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by sultaan(m): 9:54pm On Aug 04, 2020
Brake light showing on the dashboard might just simply mean one if the brake light is burnt and needs to be replaced.
It is best to fix the easy things rather than chasing everything.
Spark plugs get old, even when they are going bad it might still run without CEL that is why maintenance changes at intervals not after it's really bad to throw a code. A bad spark plugs will mess up a coil so be proactive in repairs.
Re: Help...my RX300 Doesn't Rev Above 2200rpm With Trac Off by Bobbydell(m): 3:21am On Aug 05, 2020
sultaan:
Brake light showing on the dashboard might just simply mean one if the brake light is burnt and needs to be replaced.
It is best to fix the easy things rather than chasing everything.
Spark plugs get old, even when they are going bad it might still run without CEL that is why maintenance changes at intervals not after it's really bad to throw a code. A bad spark plugs will mess up a coil so be proactive in repairs.
If the ABS light and brake light is showing on the dashboard and the speedometer doesn't read when you accelerate it the ABS that is damage

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Sale: 2010 Toyota Corolla @ 2m / A Neatly Used 2005 Nissan Primera For Sale (cheap) / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won’t Be Registered – Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.