Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,207 members, 7,829,318 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable (578 Views)

Doctors In The House.. Please Translate The Widal Test For Me / Help Interprete Widal Result / 8 Dangerous & Deadly Things Most Nigerians Do Ignorantly; 1 & 2 Will Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by ikorodureporta: 9:53am On Aug 05, 2020
Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by GboyegaD(m): 9:55am On Aug 05, 2020
Hmm.... you could post the entire article as well.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by Professorcplus(m): 9:59am On Aug 05, 2020
Hmmm Typhoid..... Did you know that Typhoid has no cure. #factmonday
Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by hisgrace090: 11:01am On Aug 05, 2020
Nigerian lab only detect typhoid and malaria fever.
Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by Nobody: 12:09pm On Aug 05, 2020
hisgrace090:
Nigerian lab only detect typhoid and malaria fever.
And staphylococcus lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2020
Is it hospital or your roadside laboratories?
We've said it here several times that typhoid is not as common as many Nigerians believe it to be, and that Widal test is not a reliable test to diagnose typhoid.
To diagnose typhoid with a Widal test, it has to be done at least twice on different occasions, with clear demonstration of rising antibody titres.
In Nigeria, they use a single test to do their diagnosis.
The confirmatory test for typhoid fever is blood or stool culture, which those labs don't do.

Again, most Nigerian patients only know about typhoid and malaria, and always want to be diagnosed with one or both of these.
Diagnose anything other than the above, you'll be fired back with "God forbid; it's not my portion", and you'll feel very embarrassed.

This bad attitude is helping to fuel the typhoid scam and malpractice in Nigeria.
Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by BrainzMan(m): 5:51pm On Aug 12, 2020
ChybuzzDD:
Is it hospital or your roadside laboratories?
We've said it here several times that typhoid is not as common as many Nigerians believe it to be, and that Widal test is not a reliable test to diagnose typhoid.
To diagnose typhoid with a Widal test, it has to be done at least twice on different occasions, with clear demonstration of rising antibody titres.
In Nigeria, they use a single test to do their diagnosis.
The confirmatory test for typhoid fever is blood or stool culture, which those labs don't do.

Again, most Nigerian patients only know about typhoid and malaria, and always want to be diagnosed with one or both of these.
Diagnose anything other than the above, you'll be fired back with "God forbid; it's not my portion", and you'll feel very embarrassed.

This bad attitude is helping to fuel the typhoid scam and malpractice in Nigeria.

good day sir, you seem 2 be a professional in medical lab field... I want 2 ask, how long does HIV test result take 2 b ready and how much does it cost?... Thank you
Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:54am On Aug 13, 2020
BrainzMan:
good day sir, you seem 2 be a professional in medical lab field... I want 2 ask, how long does HIV test result take 2 b ready and how much does it cost?... Thank you

Good morning.
I'm not a lab scientist, but a doctor.
HIV test should be ready within 30minutes no matter the method used.
The test is free in government hospitals and FHI sponsored private hospitals.
Hospitals outside the above charge between 1000 to 1500 naira for it.
Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by BrainzMan(m): 12:59pm On Aug 13, 2020
H

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by bmlsbmls: 11:01am On Aug 14, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

Good morning.
I'm not a lab scientist, but a doctor.
HIV test should be ready within 30minutes no matter the method used.
The test is free in government hospitals and FHI sponsored private hospitals.
Hospitals outside the above charge between 1000 to 1500 naira for it.
It depends on the method of test used. Even the routine antibody screening sometimes take up to 2 hours before getting results
Re: Most Nigerians Don't Have Typhoid As Hospitals Claim As Widal Test Unreliable by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:42pm On Aug 14, 2020
bmlsbmls:

It depends on the method of test used. Even the routine antibody screening sometimes take up to 2 hours before getting results

I was talking about a normal situation, not a Nigerian situation, where a 1hour test takes 1week to be done.

An antibody test for hiv shouldn't take 2hrs anywhere in the world.

Lets not begin to see abnormal things in Nigeria as the new normal.

I was amazed the day I heard a Gene xpert test for TB in Nigeria takes 1week to be ready, instead of the normal 90minutes

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Manage Anxiety Without Medications / The Best Body Supplements For Weight Gain / HERBAL Center: Fibroids, Fallopian Tube Blockage, Ovarian Cyst, Infertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.