Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Programming Vs Web Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Vs Web Development (1493 Views)

Online Programming Vs College..? Which Is On Is Comfortable And Why?�� / Web Developer Vs Web Designer / Programming Vs 3d Animation In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 8:58am On Aug 08, 2020
Tech Cheats please get in here....
This question have been bothering me for a while now and I need answers from you guys, I know I won't get disappointed...

Please what is the difference between Programming and Web development?
And Which of them is stable when it comes to getting a job?
Thanks..
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 08, 2020
They are the same na.

1 Like

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 9:03am On Aug 08, 2020
SegFault:
They are the same na.
I have little doubts...
I saw a post here on nairaland, someone was advertising that he has easy to follow tutorials in Programming, web dev, data science etc.
And for a lonq time now, I always thought they were the same but after seeing him differentiate them, I was curious I decided to find answers...
I wanna learn it thats why M asking
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

I have little doubts...
I saw a post here on nairaland, someone was advertising that he has easy to follow tutorials in Programming, web dev, data science etc.
And for a lonq time now, I always thought they were the same but after seeing him differentiate them, I was curious I decided to find answers...
I wanna learn it thats why M asking
They are the same don't mind the person. Web development is a subset of programming.

1 Like

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 9:06am On Aug 08, 2020
SegFault:

They are the same don't mind the person. Web development is a subset of programming.
So I shouldn't bother myself and learn programming??
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

Yah.
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 9:10am On Aug 08, 2020
SegFault:
Yah.
Thanks alot... May ur days be long..
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by phililp(m): 10:18am On Aug 08, 2020
Programming is a broader term/concept.

Programing is the act of understanding a problem, and writing the solutions in such a way that a computer will use the solution to solve the problem. This is done using a programing language.

Web development mean developing anything that has to do with web: website, webapp etc. To do this you have to have a good knowledge of programming.. Because 99.9% of web development process is programing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by Akhigbeblog(m): 10:20am On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

Lol they're same thing.... But different area
We have front end developers
Backend developers.
But back end developers believes they're the real programmers just as Hausa Muslims believes they're the main Muslims in Nigeria.....
But all have same purposes

1 Like

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by bet9ja(m): 12:20pm On Aug 08, 2020
In a layman term, Programming is when someone instruct a computer to perform a given task. Or programming occurs when the Master(Programmer) is talking to a Slave(Computer, Mobile phone etc).

To elucidate further, the language used by the Master to communicate with Slave is called programming Language eg (C++, C#, Javascript, Java, PHP, Chicken etc)

Furthermore, Web development can be categorized as one of the Products a Master can instruct the slave to create.

To conclude, a Master may instruct the Slave to create anything that he/she wants. However, the end products created by the Slave depends on the ability and how vast the Master is able to communicate with the Slave.

I hope this help someone.

www.olumide.co.za

2 Likes

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 1:27pm On Aug 08, 2020
phililp:
Programming is a broader term/concept.

Programing is the act of understanding a problem, and writing the solutions in such a way that a computer will use the solution to solve the problem. This is done using a programing language.

Web development mean developing anything that has to do with web: website, webapp etc. To do this you have to have a good knowledge of programming.. Because 99.9% of web development process is programing

So if I study Programming as a course, will I be able to do the work of a Web developer effectively?
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 1:29pm On Aug 08, 2020
Akhigbeblog:

Lol they're same thing.... But different area
We have front end developers
Backend developers.
But back end developers believes they're the real programmers just as Hausa Muslims believes they're the main Muslims in Nigeria.....
But all have same purposes
So if I learn programming, will I be able to do the work of a web developer?
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 1:32pm On Aug 08, 2020
bet9ja:
In a layman term, Programming is when someone instruct a computer to perform a given task. Or programming occurs when the Master(Programmer) is talking to a Slave(Computer, Mobile phone etc).

To elucidate further, the language used by the Master to communicate with Slave is called programming Language eg (C++, C#, Javascript, Java, PHP, Chicken etc)

Furthermore, Web development can be categorized as one of the Products a Master can instruct the slave to create.

To conclude, a Master may instruct the Slave to create anything that he/she wants. However, the end products created by the Slave depends on the ability and how vast the Master is able to communicate with the Slave.

I hope this help someone.

www.olumide.co.za

So u advice me to go for programming instead of Web dev
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by sKeetz(m): 1:42pm On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

Web dev is a subset of programming na grin
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by phililp(m): 2:19pm On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

So if I study Programming as a course, will I be able to do the work of a Web developer effectively?

Yes
Programing is broad.. If you take the route of web development by studying languages for web development yes you will.

If you want to become a web developer this are the languages you should start with..

HTML/CSS
Bootstrap
Javascript
PHP
MySQl
Python
. Net
etc

But to be a software Developer
Python/django
Java
C++(c plus plus)
C#(c sharp)
R
Go
E. T. C

Programing is like mechanic.
Some mechanics learn how to repair Trucks
Some learn how to repair Generators and listers
Some learn how to repair cars
Some learn how to repair other machines

But there are all mechanic

So is programming same

Some people learn how to design/develop sites(web developers)
Some learn how to create desktop programs(desktop developers)
Some learn how to create Android apps(Android developers)
Some learn how to create Apple apps (ios developers)
Some learn how to test/analize people's program to see if it will work well before they deploy into whatever it's aimed at(testers/system analyst)

But all of them are all programmers.. Just like the mechanics

So any discipline you want to take, there are specific programming languagesyou learn for it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by phililp(m): 2:33pm On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

You can't go to school and study Programming as a course.. No

Programming is a term used to describe the processes of writing code for the computer, either for web development, app development, web design or other things..

You can study computer science which comprises of veering about computer..
Ranging from how the computer works to how to write the code that makes it work(programming)
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by phililp(m): 2:40pm On Aug 08, 2020
We all call them programmers because they write code that the computer can understand.

So if you want to be a programmer you must first choose which discipline you want to go into.

Whether
Web development,
Data science
Web Design
Software developer
And lots more

So now I think your question should be..

I want to become a programmer where should I start from?

Of which your answer lies on the front page of programming section.. https://www.nairaland.com/1147325/want-learn-programming-which-language

I hope this helps..

If u still find anything confusing, don't hesitate to fine yourself in my mentions..
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by bet9ja(m): 3:35pm On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

Your interest will determine your carrier path. Do you want to be a Frontend or Backend Software developer? Kindly do a google search for a Job that requires A frontend developer. This will give you a clue of the stacks you are expected to know, likewise do the same search for backend developer.

NB. Web development is not about editing wordpress themes and installing plugins, this is why many people got frustrated after knowing how to edit and install wordpress.

If you want to be a web developer, you need to either be a

FRONTEND ENGINEER - Technology stacks are Html/css/javascript/php.
Framework - Angular, Vue, Vanilla Js(pure javascript) etc
Library - React, Jquery etc

BACKEND ENGINEER - Technology stacks are Php, Java, C#, Python, Javascript (Node is runtime env) etc
Framework - Laravel,
Database - firebase, Mongodb, Sqlite etc

NB. Each backend languages has there framework.

FULL STACK - Combination of both and beyond.

MY ADVICE, START FROM THE FRONT, MASTER IT AND ENJOY IT. BUY COURSES ONLINE AND EARN CERTIFICATE OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS FROM EDX.COM, COURSERA AND OTHER REPUTABLE ORGANIZATIONS. ESTABLISH RELATIONSHIPS WITH A BACKEND DEVELOPER AND INTEGRATE YOUR FRONTEND PROJECT WITH A BACKEND LOGIC IN THE DATABASE. MASTER THE ACT OF SOLVING PROBLEMS, I AM SURE YOU WILL LEARN AS YOU GROW.

2 Likes

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by bet9ja(m): 3:51pm On Aug 08, 2020
phililp:

Programming is a term used to describe the processes of writing code for the computer, either for web development, app development, web design or other things..

Ranging from how the computer works to how to write the code that makes it work(programming)

To buttress your post, Computer Science also involves the ergonomics design. How we seat infront of a computer either you are a programmer or not. It's kinda broad
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by Akhigbeblog(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

So if I learn programming, will I be able to do the work of a web developer?
Yes but start with HTML, CSS and JavaScript (if you feel JavaScript is too hard for you you can learn jQuery) and then learn python, you're good to go
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 7:40pm On Aug 08, 2020
Akhigbeblog:

Yes but start with HTML, CSS and JavaScript (if you feel JavaScript is too hard for you you can learn jQuery) and then learn python, you're good to go
Thanks...
I really appreciate this....
Building websites has always been somethinq I wanna do someday
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 7:43pm On Aug 08, 2020
bet9ja:

Your interest will determine your carrier path. Do you want to be a Frontend or Backend Software developer? Kindly do a google search for a Job that requires A frontend developer. This will give you a clue of the stacks you are expected to know, likewise do the same search for backend developer.

NB. Web development is not about editing wordpress themes and installing plugins, this is why many people got frustrated after knowing how to edit and install wordpress.

If you want to be a web developer, you need to either be a

FRONTEND ENGINEER - Technology stacks are Html/css/javascript/php.
Framework - Angular, Vue, Vanilla Js(pure javascript) etc
Library - React, Jquery etc

BACKEND ENGINEER - Technology stacks are Php, Java, C#, Python, Javascript (Node is runtime env) etc
Framework - Laravel,
Database - firebase, Mongodb, Sqlite etc

NB. Each backend languages has there framework.

FULL STACK - Combination of both and beyond.

MY ADVICE, START FROM THE FRONT, MASTER IT AND ENJOY IT. BUY COURSES ONLINE AND EARN CERTIFICATE OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS FROM EDX.COM, COURSERA AND OTHER REPUTABLE ORGANIZATIONS. ESTABLISH RELATIONSHIPS WITH A BACKEND DEVELOPER AND INTEGRATE YOUR FRONTEND PROJECT WITH A BACKEND LOGIC IN THE DATABASE. MASTER THE ACT OF SOLVING PROBLEMS, I AM SURE YOU WILL LEARN AS YOU GROW.
Thank You for the Guidance....
May you live long

1 Like

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 7:44pm On Aug 08, 2020
phililp:

I just wanna know if I can build and maintain websites as a programmer
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2020
phililp:

Yes
Programing is broad.. If you take the route of web development by studying languages for web development yes you will.

If you want to become a web developer this are the languages you should start with..

HTML/CSS
Bootstrap
Javascript
PHP
MySQl
Python
. Net
etc

But to be a software Developer
Python/django
Java
C++(c plus plus)
C#(c sharp)
R
Go
E. T. C

Programing is like mechanic.
Some mechanics learn how to repair Trucks
Some learn how to repair Generators and listers
Some learn how to repair cars
Some learn how to repair other machines

But there are all mechanic

So is programming same

Some people learn how to design/develop sites(web developers)
Some learn how to create desktop programs(desktop developers)
Some learn how to create Android apps(Android developers)
Some learn how to create Apple apps (ios developers)
Some learn how to test/analize people's program to see if it will work well before they deploy into whatever it's aimed at(testers/system analyst)

But all of them are all programmers.. Just like the mechanics

So any discipline you want to take, there are specific programming languagesyou learn for it

Thank u so much..
Buh pls what language shud i focus on for fullstack
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by Akhigbeblog(m): 9:32pm On Aug 08, 2020
FahBuLous:

Thanks...
I really appreciate this....
Building websites has always been somethinq I wanna do someday
Lol, you gonna do it soon bro.... Trust me it's not hard
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 10:50pm On Aug 08, 2020
Akhigbeblog:
Lol, you gonna do it soon bro.... Trust me it's not hard
Thanks aqain, may u live long
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by Akhigbeblog(m): 1:24am On Aug 09, 2020
FahBuLous:

Thanks aqain, may u live long
Amen
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by bet9ja(m): 3:18pm On Aug 09, 2020
FahBuLous:

Thank u so much..
Buh pls what language shud i focus on for fullstack

To be a full Stack engineer requires continuous learning. Full Stack doesn't mean that you know all the programming languages, however, you may easily work on any project based on vast knowledge using various techniques and technologies from your previous working experience or projects.

If you focus on C# and master all the Microsoft technologies, this will make you a .Net developer. likewise Python, Javascript and other languages will make you a Developer of there brand.

Full Stack means you can work on any project written in any language.

Full Stack does not translate to Big Salary.

I hope this help.

3 Likes

Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 6:39pm On Aug 09, 2020
bet9ja:

To be a full Stack engineer requires continuous learning. Full Stack doesn't mean that you know all the programming languages, however, you may easily work on any project based on vast knowledge using various techniques and technologies from your previous working experience or projects.

If you focus on C# and master all the Microsoft technologies, this will make you a .Net developer. likewise Python, Javascript and other languages will make you a Developer of there brand.

Full Stack means you can work on any project written in any language.

Full Stack does not translate to Big Salary.

I hope this help.

Thank you very much...
Pls dont be offended M asking too many questions...
What kind of laptop and phone do u recommend I shud use that will take me thru smoothly in my journey in de tech world...
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by phililp(m): 6:55pm On Aug 09, 2020
FahBuLous:

Thank you very much...
What kind of laptop and phone do u recommend I shud use that will take me thru smoothly in my journey in de tech world...

Dude you can questions sha! undecided.. Lol its a good thing though

I will recommend any dell laptop with spec of at least

500gb hdd
4gb Ram
Core i3 or higher
3hr battery life.

Any good android phone with good battery will do..

Galaxy s7
Or any Huawei
Redmi
Oppo

Run from infinix and techno
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by FahBuLous: 6:59pm On Aug 09, 2020
phililp:

Dude you can questions sha! undecided.. Lol its a good thing though
I will recommend any dell laptop with spec of at least
500gb hdd 4gb Ram Core i3 or higher 3hr battery life.
Any good android phone with good battery will do..
Galaxy s7 Or any Huawei Redmi Oppo
Run from infinix and techno
Na man you be, thank you very much, may you live long
Re: Programming Vs Web Development by bet9ja(m): 4:00pm On Aug 10, 2020
FahBuLous:

Thank you very much...

I will recommend you go for the HP Core series or any brand with minimum of 4GB Ram. You can also upgrade your RAM to 8G. Battery life is also important due to the Nigeria electricity situation.

Personally, I prefer a desktop any-day any-time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Build An APP / Does Anyone Know About Decagon? / From Estate Agent To Programmer, No Lappy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.