Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English (799 Views)

Countries That Speak Igbo Languge / An Igbo Woman Farting In The Presence Of Her Husband Is A Taboo - Young Lady / Ijesa Indigenes In Canada Elect Okey Paulicap Okeke, Igbo Man As President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Charleys: 11:43am On Aug 09, 2020
The Igbo language is at the brink of Extinction.

They don't like bearing their names and love English names.

They never wear their traditional clothes but love importing

2 Likes

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by haryorbarmie83(m): 11:44am On Aug 09, 2020
Not possible.

1 Like

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Charleys: 11:53am On Aug 09, 2020
Can you speak Igbo for five minutes without adding English

Ask yourself

1 Like

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by SmartPolician: 11:54am On Aug 09, 2020
Charleys:

Aturu

Pete Edochie and Chiwetalu Agu do not mix Igbo and English

These are the few examples you know

1 Like

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Simplyleo: 11:57am On Aug 09, 2020
SmartPolician:

Aturu

Pete Edochie and Chiwetalu Agu do not mix Igbo and English

These are the few examples you know
Okay, there are two igbos who can speak English without mixing it with igbo.

Op, your assertion has been punctured, there are two igbos who can do it. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Ejanla07: 12:37pm On Aug 09, 2020
Simplyleo:

Okay, there are two igbos who can speak English without mixing it with igbo.

Op, your assertion has been punctured, there are two igbos who can do it. grin grin

Dis one Igbo so torment his existence

1 Like

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by kingzizzy: 12:38pm On Aug 09, 2020
Charleys:

It is getting harder and harder to find an Igbo man that can speak Igbo for a full minute without adding a word of English. Its terrible, I have been guilty of the same in the past. But now, I make it a point of duty not to put any English when I speak Igbo unless it is to buttress a fact.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Tumbulum: 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
You live in your cave in Oshogbo and have never traveled out of Oshogbo and then you stay there to make a general assertion about igbos.
Come to Onitsha, Aba and Enugu and have your orientation changed. Op you need to travel out from your cave.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 09, 2020
mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Bannylove13: 1:30pm On Aug 09, 2020
Yoruba and tribalism....

They wan sell dia tribalism to Nigerians

Yoruba sef grin

1 Like

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Charleys: 9:11pm On Aug 09, 2020
Tumbulum:
You live in your cave in Oshogbo and have never traveled out of Oshogbo and then you stay there to make a general assertion about igbos.
Come to Onitsha, Aba and Enugu and have your orientation changed. Op you need to travel out from your cave.

I'm a Nigerian I don't do tribalism, I'm just telling you what I noticed.

Your language is getting lost day by day and when the time comes you won't be able to speak it anylonger there are instances where languages were made extinct because of this. And ihno is not an exception

You deserve to read this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1915760/10-extinct-nigerian-languages-what

And those states were bigger than Igbo states
Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by budaatum: 9:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
I see someone reported my post and has made it disappear, lol! It's a great pity Nairaland gives posters the power to delete posts they don't like.

As I said, we Yorubas bear English names as do the op.
Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Tumbulum: 9:44pm On Aug 09, 2020
Charleys:

I'm a Nigerian I don't do tribalism, I'm just telling you what I noticed.

Your language is getting lost day by day and when the time comes you won't be able to speak it anylonger there are instances where languages were made extinct because of this. And ihno is not an exception

You deserve to read this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1915760/10-extinct-nigerian-languages-what

And those states were bigger than Igbo states
stop saying shit bro.you dont live in the east and can never tell me what is happening in the east.come to Onitsha, inewi,aba,Enugu and come see for yourself. Same internet is saying that Igbo's are not united and everyday we keep changing the narrative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by bigfrancis21: 10:45pm On Aug 09, 2020
Charleys:

It's disappointing, I agree. Only something serious as implemented laws regarding native language preservation, such as 'native language first' policies, that make it compulsory for every child to be taught their native language first and attend native language immersion schools up until a certain age, say age 5 or 6, before exposure to English, could help to curb and reverse this trend. This policy would be most effective from the new generation and going upwards, older generations born before this policy will gradually fade out with time. Language study centers should be instituted to focus on expanding the vocabulary and usage of a native language into areas like sciences, arts, technology etc and develop new short/effective words for more modern items. For example, words like diuzu/nneuzu, dinya/nnenya, etc could be developed to mean engineer and driver respectively (male/female forms). Once 'di' and 'nne' or any other words are picked for gender in speech, they can be used or applied consistently to form new words and updated in the dictionary. Alternatively, these new words don't necessarily have to be formed from existing words. New words can simply be formed for modern icons. For example, agabu can be formed to mean clipper, ntukwa to refer to clipper blades etc.

This is how major nations develop their languages. There is always an institution established in the country solely for the development and advancement of the nation's official language and this is primarily how the Jews were able to restore a hitherto dead and liturgical language to a living language of over 6 million speakers and growing. All hope isn't lost yet.
Re: Can An Igbo Man Speak Igbo Without Adding English by Charleys: 2:55am On Aug 10, 2020
bigfrancis21:

It's disappointing, I agree. Only something serious as implemented laws regarding native language preservation, such as 'native language first' policies, that make it compulsory for every child to be taught their native language first and attend native language immersion schools up until a certain age, say age 5 or 6, before exposure to English, could help to curb and reverse this trend. This policy would be most effective from the new generation and going upwards, older generations born before this policy will gradually fade out with time. Language study centers should be instituted to focus on expanding the vocabulary and usage of a native language into areas like sciences, arts, technology etc and develop new short/effective words for more modern items. For example, words like diuzu/nneuzu, dinya/nnenya, etc could be developed to mean engineer and driver respectively (male/female forms). Once 'di' and 'nne' or any other words are picked for gender in speech, they can be used or applied consistently to form new words and updated in the dictionary. Alternatively, these new words don't necessarily have to be formed from existing words. New words can simply be formed for modern icons. For example, agabu can be formed to mean clipper, ntukwa to refer to clipper blades etc.

This is how major nations develop their languages. There is always an institution established in the country solely for the development and advancement of the nation's official language and this is primarily how the Jews were able to restore a hitherto dead and liturgical language to a living language of over 6 million speakers and growing. All hope isn't lost yet.

Finally someone here made Sense

(1) (Reply)

Have Human Beings Become Dumberover The Years / Artcrafts For Sale / Chistmas In The Village: Salt N' Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.