Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,297 members, 7,829,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service (866 Views)

I Remain UNILAG VC - Ogundipe Says As Details Emerge Of Why He Was Sacked / Olukemi Odukoya and Bola Oboh Protest UNILAG VC's Removal, Attack Pro-Chancellor / ADP Lagos Congratulates Ogundipe As The New UNILAG Vice Chancellor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 13, 2020
UNILAG's New Acting VC, Prof Omololu Soyombo Accepts Appointment As Call To Service

A new Vice-Chancellor has been named for the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, effective today, in acting capacity. He is Prof Theophilus Omololu Soyombo of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the institution.

The appointment was announced late on Wednesday night by the Governing Council of the University headed by its Chairman and Pro-Chancellor, Dr Wale Babalakin.

Making the disclosure in a press statement, the Registrar and Secretary to the Governing Council, Azeez Oladejo, used the opportunity to debunk insinuations by the embattled former Vice-Chancellor that he still remained the VC.

The Registrar who affirmed his position as the Custodian of all minutes of meetings of the Council and official documents of the University, insisted that the former VC was indeed gone forever as all Council members were all present at the meeting.

The statement signed by the Registrar and titled Re: Notice to the general public on the removal of the Vice-Chancellor, Unilag, reads as follows:

"My attention has been drawn to a document circulating under the hand and signature of the former Vice-Chancellor, University of Lagos, Prof Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, FAS,

"The letter purports to deny his removal by the Governing Council of the University at its emergency meeting of Wednesday August 12, 2020.

"For the avoidance of doubt, I am in my capacity as Registrar and Secretary to Council, the only Custodian of the minutes of Council and the Authorising Officer on behalf of Council to issue official statement pertaining to all Council Affairs.

"Members of the public are hereby advised to totally disregard the statement attributed to the said former Vice-Chancellor. The position remains that he was lawfully removed by the Governing Council at a meeting fully attended by all Council members.

"I also wish to use the opportunity to inform members of the public that Council at the said meeting duly appointed Prof. Theophilus Omololu Soyombo of the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Lagos as Vice-Chancellor of the University, in an acting capacity. "

Meanwhile, the new acting VC, a renowned Consultant Sociologist, has immediately confirmed his acceptance of the appointment, describing it as "a call to service".

8 facts about the new acting Vice-Chancellor, Prof Soyombo:

1. He is a Professor of international repute, with a PhD in sociology from University of Essex, England. 

2. He had attended Owu Baptist Day School, Abeokuta for his primary school before proceeding to Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta in 1968 to 1972 and also Abeokuta Grammar School from 1973 to 1974.

3. He gained admission to the University of Lagos in 1974 to study Sociology and eventually partook in the national youth service in 1977.

4. He hails from Abeokuta, Ogun State.

5. He is a member of the Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association.

6. Also a member of Integrated Transport Initiative.

7. He was a former managing director of the University of Lagos Consult.

8. He was a former dean, Faculty of Social Sciences.

Prof Omololu Soyombo has also taken up several departments, faculty and intra-campus leadership position since over a decade.

Re: 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by Legalcriminal: 10:11am On Aug 13, 2020
Ok
Re: 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by spy24(m): 10:38am On Aug 13, 2020
Good one
Re: 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 14, 2020
I think say oga lalasticlala don view this post? This post suppose make FP now...na Unilag news dey trend.
Re: 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by Karlifate: 8:38am On Aug 14, 2020
Good profile.
Re: 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by mumexcellency(f): 1:52pm On Aug 14, 2020
He is a very nice and calm man as well. He was my lecturer in 97-2001. He doesn't give students problems at all. Position well deserved, a peaceful man
Congratulations my prof. May God give you wisdom to serve in good health.
Re: 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by CodeTemplar: 2:21pm On Aug 14, 2020
coldroom.com
Re: 8 Facts About The New UNILAG VC, Says He Accepts Appointment As Call To Service by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 14, 2020
mumexcellency:
He is a very nice and calm man as well. He was my lecturer in 97-2001. He doesn't give students problems at all. Position well deserved, a peaceful man
Congratulations my prof. May God give you wisdom to serve in good health.

Oh wow! You know him so well? I pray he succeeds in the interim.

(1) (Reply)

List Of Departments Of Agriculture In Nigeria University Needed / Test Format For Ips Exam. / 2008/ 2009 Oau Post Ume Result Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.