Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,354 members, 7,836,450 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? (38934 Views)

Zimbabwean Wife Stabs Husband For Interrupting Her Sex Session With Her Lovers / Wife Hires Thugs To Beat Husband For Slapping Her, He Dies / Man Charged For Rape After Sucking Lady’s Breasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Pearly255(f): 11:09pm On Aug 14, 2020
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by FahBuLous: 11:10pm On Aug 14, 2020
lightangel65i:

Esan land, but the ladies are not good people
I wee come n marry frm there, i wee mk her good
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Aug 14, 2020
Muna4real:
Is rape only for the unmarried? Or can a woman sue her husband for rape? I'm just asking, is it lawful?
..... Wait Make I Google am undecided

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Taiwojon(m): 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2020
Edopesin:

If you hit the wife it won't affect the husband, it's good to add logic to real life events

They're one but don't share in the same pain
cool
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by ume1000: 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2020
Edopesin:

Marriage is not giving yourself to another to use as they see fit
I did rather cheat on a woman than allow her manipulate me for sex cos denying your spouse sex is pure manipulation

2 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by hardbody: 11:14pm On Aug 14, 2020
post=92827444:

Yes Muna,
She can.
It is called Marital Rape!

Marital rape is also known as spousal rape,
It is a non-consensual sex in which the perpetrator is the victim's spouse.
It is a form of partner rape, of domestic violence, and of sexual abuse.

There you have it above ma.

Lawyers in the house can shed more light on this from Nigeria law perspective.
Thanks.

Modify:
Some annoying and foolish comments you read on this forum sometimes, make you want to slap some people through the phone.
So because a man paid a woman's bride price gives him the right to rape her anytime he wants?
Na so una sisters husbands dey rape dem?
Foolish rapists everywhere,
Na so dem dey start!

We hit dem with the truths always, no wonder they always go mad.
Nuisances.

Rape as defined under the Nigerian Criminal Code law can not be sustained as between a married man and his wife. Even in the English Criminal law, that was the case but courts are beginning to find a basis of fixing guilt on a party who has not consented to sex even in the marital relationship

What is spousal rape? Does the Nigerian Law recognize spousal rape?

Also known as marital rape is the non-consensual sexual intercourse between a husband and his wife. As of today, spousal rape is not an offence in Nigeria and therefore cannot be a cause of action in the courts. The laws criminalising rape in Nigeria specifically provide that sexual intercourse between a husband and wife is not unlawful. Section 258 (3) of the CLL provides that Sexual intercourse between a man and a woman who are married is not unlawful. Likewise section 282 (2) of the PC which states that Sexual intercourse by a man with his own wife is not rape, if she has attained the age of puberty. The Criminal Code in its section 6 also defines unlawful carnal knowledge as a carnal connection which takes place otherwise than between husband and wife. Spousal rape is therefore not recognized in Nigeria until the laws are amended to reflect this. However, a spouse may succeed in a suit for sexual abuse or sexual assault against the spouse who perpetrates those acts.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by ume1000: 11:16pm On Aug 14, 2020
Ukpono99:
please do away with this kind of mentality, if she says 'no' just leave her alone.. why force yourself on her for Christ sake?!!!
Who get time to force woman when e fit carry side chick come house

3 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by EgunMogaji2: 11:19pm On Aug 14, 2020
Yes and no. There’s as such as marital rape but I believe this is a criminal case and only the authorities charge criminal cases. Citizens can only charge civil cases. But there are other things that she can sue for like emotional damage, etc
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Saintmary(f): 11:22pm On Aug 14, 2020
lightangel65i:

I didn't see anywhere i mentioned you so stay off my comments pls
This is a public forum, you don't want mentions? Deactivate.

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by jidxin(m): 11:24pm On Aug 14, 2020
donbachi:
"For dis reason shall a man leave his father and mother and shall cleave unto his wife"..una don become 1,so,sex is the reason..no be rape.
yes... Marital rape
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Respect55(m): 11:26pm On Aug 14, 2020
gbami:
Yes..it is possible to sue but difficult to prove since they are married...Unless there is A camera or A recorder of the wife saying "No" when she is being raped..
You lack knowledge of legality in this country. A man can't rape his wife. It is understood under the constitution that when a woman signs that marriage certificate, she has intentionally and willingly given in to sexual acts with the man.

Conversely, a man can sue his wife for denying him sex and the court will entertain it.

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 14, 2020
Muna4real:
Is rape only for the unmarried? Or can a woman sue her husband for rape? I'm just asking, is it lawful?
Yes. When the woman is evil.
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Pussywar(f): 11:30pm On Aug 14, 2020
april2018:

Shut up BITCH.. always looking for who to blame for their miserable lifes. How many times have you been raped? You're such a BIIIGGGG FOOL.. Pls don't mention me again.
Are you even listening to yourself? You're a disgrace to black men. No wonder they world doesn't rate y'all. Animal.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by HIPROFILE(m): 11:30pm On Aug 14, 2020
This table weh una deh shake like this
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Titugirl(f): 11:31pm On Aug 14, 2020
Muna4real:
In Nigeria, a woman cannot sue her husband for rape. However, she can sue him for sexual assault and so on but not rape.
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:33pm On Aug 14, 2020
Muna4real:

1st what is the defination of rape ? and in that defination does it mention that its not rape if the couple are not married ?

Then it wouldnt make sense to only SUE in a rape case, if you only sue it means you are seeking monetary compersation and the person walks free then would we call it rape ? or a case of sexual abuse ?

In real rape case you both file a rape case and sue at the same time

But remember am not denying that a married woman can file for rape against her husband, Rape is forced sexual intercause whether married or not
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:35pm On Aug 14, 2020
If u rape someone nd she squirt is it still a rape?
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:37pm On Aug 14, 2020
If u rape someone nd she squirt is it still a rape?
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2020
Muna4real:

You are sex starving your husband and complaining of rape,is like you are satisfing yourself sexually somewhere else.

Women like you frustrate their husbands sexually and also complained when he goes out in search of what you couldn't give to him.

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by OLULAW: 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2020
Anything goes in Nigeria. In sane climes, yes.

With reference to rape within marriage and relationships, the London Metropolitan states, “Rape within marriage and relationships can also occur. Remember, sex is about consent. If your partner or husband has forced you into having sex with them, this is rape. We treat this as seriously as any other rape or sexual assault.”
SOURCE: https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/rsa/rape-and-sexual-assault/what-is-rape-and-sexual-assault/

If you live in sane climes and you have non consensual sex with your wife or partner, you’re going to prison. When you finish serving the term, depending on your residency status, you’ll be deported. If you’ve naturalised, your career is pretty much over because criminal record and your presence on sex offender register means you’re utterly and totally roasted. You can just jump into the Thames in London, or Clifton suspension in Bristol, Tyne Bridge in Newcastle. Don’t let 3-5 mins of pleasure ruin your life.
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by innobarca(m): 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2020
When you enter into marriage with the oversabi women.

What of the wives that force the deck to rise and jump on top of their husband to play match?

Divorce your husband if you are tired of the marriage,that's better.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Goalnaldo(m): 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2020
Barcelona's terrible season came to an embarrassing end as Bayern Munich put them to the sword with an 8-2 whitewashing in Portugal on Friday night.

The German champions made light work of the fixture many considered the game of the round as early the first half.

Bayern opened the scoring four minutes into the encounter when Mueller fired home a left footed strike after a knockdown from lewandowski.
https://chukybright..com/2020/08/battered-and-bruised-bayern-put-eight.html
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by lightangel65i(m): 11:47pm On Aug 14, 2020
Saintmary:

This is a public forum, you don't want mentions? Deactivate.

F u and stay off my mentions and we wont have a problem
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Peacebeuntoyouu: 11:47pm On Aug 14, 2020
post=92827444:

Yes Muna,
She can.
It is called Marital Rape!

Marital rape is also known as spousal rape,
It is a non-consensual sex in which the perpetrator is the victim's spouse.
It is a form of partner rape, of domestic violence, and of sexual abuse.

There you have it above ma.

Lawyers in the house can shed more light on this from Nigeria law perspective.
Thanks.

Modify:
Some annoying and foolish comments you read on this forum sometimes, make you want to slap some people through the phone.
So because a man paid a woman's bride price gives him the right to rape her anytime he wants?
Na so una sisters husbands dey rape dem?
Foolish rapists everywhere,
Na so dem dey start!

We hit dem with the truths always, no wonder they always go mad.
Nuisances.

Oga there's nothing like marital rape under Nigerian law. Even in UK where they have it, the first case that established it was in the 90s.
Here, a husband cannot rape his wife. Be guided.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Threebear(m): 11:49pm On Aug 14, 2020
donbachi:
"For dis reason shall a man leave his father and mother and shall cleave unto his wife"..una don become 1,so,sex is the reason..no be rape.
I love how men only remember bible passages once it suits them .

2 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by genii96(m): 11:49pm On Aug 14, 2020
Not in Nigeria but you can Sue your spouse for denying you sex
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by raphy(m): 11:50pm On Aug 14, 2020
so if ur husband ask for sex u say no then he tore ur pant or tight n put casava inside straw berry u go call it rape .

nothing like that. this na dumb talk

just negedu
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Chidinel: 11:51pm On Aug 14, 2020
Not really
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by backbone503(m): 11:56pm On Aug 14, 2020
Marital rape and men/boys as victims are not recognised in both the Criminal Code (section 358) and the Penal Code (section 282). Hence, it will be a purely academic exercise, and one in futility, for a Nigerian wife or man/boy to sue for rape.

This is yet another section of our law that should be amended.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 14, 2020
Not in Nigeria undecided
Re: Can A Woman Sue Her Husband For Rape? by Xpol: 11:57pm On Aug 14, 2020
gbami:
Yes..it is possible to sue but difficult to prove since they are married...Unless there is A camera or A recorder of the wife saying "No" when she is being raped..
even with camera in the current Nigerian law unless amended in the future husband is not criminally responsible for raping his wife. there's nothing like husband rapes his wife. He can only be charged for assault in case of domestic violence. I don't know where that barbecue man dey get him marital/spousal rape from he dey talk like say he knows pass everyone he should get a copy of criminal code and learn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Lady Arrested By NDLEA Shares Her Story After Being Released (Pics, Video) / See Photos From The Robbery Incident In Ikorodu This Morning / Gunmen Kill Senator Elisha Abbo’s Uncle, Kidnap Nursing Stepmother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.