Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison (4821 Views)

Photos With Creepy Back Stories{GORE} / Skeletal Remains Of A Rich Man And His Slave Discovered In Vesuvius. / Horrifying photos Show The Charred Remains Of California And Washington Towns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:21am On Aug 15, 2020
The Eastern State Penitentiary looms over Philadelphia like an ominous fortress.

The first time I visited the city was in 2019, and I was struck by the abandoned prison's dark force as my family drove past. Once a prominent prison for famous inmates, today Eastern State is abandoned but does offer daily tours for $16.

After finally making my way to tour the prison and spending three hours inside its walls, I left with goosebumps. This is what it's like inside the now-abandoned Eastern State Penitentiary.

6 Likes

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:22am On Aug 15, 2020
The looming and ominous building sits on 9.8 acres of land in Philadelphia's Fairmount neighborhood. When the prison was built in 1829, it was on the outskirts of Philadelphia. But the city expanded around the prison walls, so it now stands awkwardly within the metropolis.

It was surprising to find out that on the other side of the wall, the windows don't exist and the towers have no entrances. The whole exterior is just a facade.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:23am On Aug 15, 2020
The fortress-like architecture was meant to scare people away and keep prisoners inside its walls. In fact, the towers and windows on the exterior are not functional and are all for show.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:24am On Aug 15, 2020
Once I stepped through the main lobby, I was given a map of the premises and learned about the intricate layout of the inner prison

1 Like

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:25am On Aug 15, 2020
Inmates would enter the prison through this hallway and go through the intake process.

1 Like

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:26am On Aug 15, 2020
At the end of the hallway is an open room with vaulted ceilings.

2 Likes

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:27am On Aug 15, 2020
In 1787, some thought criminals were victims of their environment and the only way to curb criminal acts was through solitude.

The Philadelphia Society for Alleviating the Miseries of Public Prisons was formed to create a "house of repentance," or a prison where each inmate never left his or her cell. The goal was to prompt inner reflection and to ensure regret or penitence for one's actions. The Eastern State Penitentiary was the first prison in the world to do this.

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 2:29am On Aug 15, 2020
For 23 hours a day, the only light inmates saw light came through a small window in the ceiling.
The Eastern State Penitentiary became known for its vaulted ceilings that were made to resemble a chapel. The small skylight in the vaulted ceiling was meant to be a direct view of the heavens, but, in reality it was the inmate's only connection to the outside world.

Announcement due to my data balance I'll end here Good morning everyone.

Source: https://www.insider.com/eastern-state-penitentiary-philadelphia-tour-2019-7#for-23-hours-a-day-the-only-light-inmates-saw-light-came-through-a-small-window-in-the-ceiling-10

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Bluntguy: 3:46am On Aug 15, 2020
Na here fit the typical Nigerian politician.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Nobody: 6:14am On Aug 15, 2020
Sometimes, I wonder if people really know the meaning of the word "creepy"... sad

Sometimes, I feel it is often misused.

For me, asides from the fact or prior knowledge that the building in those pictures was used as a prison, there is absolutely nothing creepy about it.

To me, it is nothing but an impressive looking fotress-esque piece of architecture. Wonder who designed it?

6 Likes

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 15, 2020
Missyajoke:
The fortress-like architecture was meant to scare people away and keep prisoners inside its walls. In fact, the towers and windows on the exterior are not functional and are all for show.

My point exactly.

It does looks every inch a fortress. Massive, imposing, impregnable, formidable, idomitable- throw in all the right adjectives.

Only one thing is missing though- a moat. smiley

3 Likes

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by punisha: 6:20am On Aug 15, 2020
OP dey wait who go send am data before e finish the post.... grin

This is Nairaland not dataland o
grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by kambili999(f): 6:42am On Aug 15, 2020
it looks very scary. only God knows the offenses of people sent here
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Haywhymido(m): 6:51am On Aug 15, 2020
angry
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by heykims(m): 7:21am On Aug 15, 2020
Reading alone sends shivers of fever down me, no window, no light.
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by potent5(m): 7:23am On Aug 15, 2020
See fine house.

grin grin
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by GreaterFuture1(m): 7:24am On Aug 15, 2020
FB accounts for sale, contact in Siggy
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Lordjiggs09(m): 7:25am On Aug 15, 2020
Informative.

Meanwhile

Umu Igbo no na ulo ma na mba, udo diri unu
O buru na I bu ezigbo onye Igbo, cheta kwa aku luo ulo.
Le kwa anya na signature ka I juo maka iwurite ulo, i zuta ala, ime ala survey, na ife ndi ozo.
Akala ekwe-nti mu bu kwa efu, asato, efu, isii, ano, ano, asaa, ato, ano, ano, ato. Udo diri umu Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by jojofola: 7:43am On Aug 15, 2020
Freedom is underrated.

But some person in Nigeria is gagging fellow citizens and indirectly enslaving the same citizens.

Dem dey quick forget say, one day we will all die.
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Vyzz: 8:05am On Aug 15, 2020
grin
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 15, 2020
I no see anything creepy here o,
E con be like say US abandoned prison better pass our functional one

1 Like

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Kroos8: 8:23am On Aug 15, 2020
Nothing creepy here

Wait till you see all the houses existing now, in the year 2100

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Birdeyeview: 8:44am On Aug 15, 2020
punisha:
OP dey wait who go send am data before e finish the post.... grin

This is Nairaland not dataland o
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by gungab(m): 9:11am On Aug 15, 2020
Common Meeenh
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 15, 2020
kambili999:
it looks very scary. only God knows the offenses of people sent here

You want to know their offences, right?

Have you ever heard of the name Alphonse Gabriel Capone(Al Capone) aka Scarface?

If you know what Alphonse Capone was famous/infamous for in the 1920s, then you will have fair idea as to what sort of criminals were locked up in there in the heyday of that prison.
Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 9:42am On Aug 15, 2020
The doors seen in the cell block today were actually installed much later. When the prison first opened, these doors were actually just small openings to pass food through so the inmate could live in solitude.

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 9:43am On Aug 15, 2020
For one hour each day, inmates could walk through the door at the back of their cell and enter an enclosed space with an open roof.

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 9:44am On Aug 15, 2020
This system of isolation as a correctional practice became known as the Pennsylvania System

1 Like

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2020
I stepped inside one of the jail cells and the walls instantly felt as if they were closing in on me. I could not imagine staying in one for 23 hours straight.

Re: The Creepy Remains Of An Abandoned Prison by Missyajoke(f): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2020
In 1913, the Pennsylvania System was abandoned and the isolation practices ended.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unical Suplementry Form On Sale / 3 Major Types Of Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria / Good Handwriting Intimidate, Please Check This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.