Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,262 members, 7,853,300 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:58 PM

Learn To Be Yourself - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Learn To Be Yourself (313 Views)

Read This Story And Learn To Stop Depending On Others / Learn To Look Deeper (impossible Is Possible )!!!!! / Writers Must Learn To Market Their Books -– Brenda Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn To Be Yourself by Jemimahdada7: 10:56pm On Aug 15, 2020
To be yourself in a world that's constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest achievement - Ralph Waldo Emerson

At some point in my life I wanted to be like so many people. In real sense, wanting to be like them was never the problem. The problem was the reason why I wanted to be in their shoes. Very ludicrous reasons.

There's this particular lady I envied. I'd give my last penny to have a taste of her kind of life. I mean this girl is beautiful, tall, brilliant her kind of complexion must have been the muse behind the song "brown skin girl" and to crown it all she was a science student�.

Did I mention she was a prefect too� .. She rocks mehn!

Her life was so perfect or so I thought. I always wished I was in her shoes.

However, something happened. Upon completing high school she was unable to further her education.

Remember I said she's brilliant, so it's not like she failed JAMB or something. It was because there was no money to sponsor her.

Time was moving so fast and as the days go bye my everyday crush was still at home. With little or no hope of furthering her education.

I was flipping through a childhood magazine recently and I saw her picture. The first question I asked myself was if I still wanted to be like her. Don't get me wrong. I'm not gloating over her plight I was only having a self analysis.

You see, it's never wrong to have a role model, someone who motivates you or someone you look up to. I have models too, but desiring and wishing to be in the shoes of another should never be an option when you try to be someone else you always end up moving in circles.

You're always struggling to catch up with the other person.

God is perfect and all knowing, whatever He ever created is perfect.

David in one of his Psalms exclaimed ":I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

If God ever wanted us to be the same I think He wouldn't have created us uniquely and differently. Maybe He'd create only one person but He choose to fix different qualities and features in each and every one of us.

And so, even if you're an identical twin your ability differs.

Because someone close to you is doing extremely well doesn't mean you should wish to be in their stead.

Purpose and timing differs.

So you wish to be like Late Nelson Mandela. I hope you know he spent 27years of his life in prison. Do you still want to be like him?

Oh! How you wish you were Joyce Meyer. Should I remind you that she was sexually abused (raped) by her father consistently as a Child?

Do you still want to be like her or you're having a second thought already.

These people paid Their price!

You have your price to pay too and I doubt if you'll be able to pay their kind of price.

We all have our battles!

Don't ever wish to be in the shoes of another.

The fire they went through might burn you to ashes.

The rivers they swam through might drown you.

Always remember that "to be yourself in a world that's constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"

1 Like

Re: Learn To Be Yourself by Stargurl20(f): 9:22am On Aug 16, 2020
Jemimahdada7:

To be yourself in a world that's constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest achievement - Ralph Waldo Emerson

At some point in my life I wanted to be like so many people. In real sense, wanting to be like them was never the problem. The problem was the reason why I wanted to be in their shoes. Very ludicrous reasons.

There's this particular lady I envied. I'd give my last penny to have a taste of her kind of life. I mean this girl is beautiful, tall, brilliant her kind of complexion must have been the muse behind the song "brown skin girl" and to crown it all she was a science student�.

Did I mention she was a prefect too� .. She rocks mehn!

Her life was so perfect or so I thought. I always wished I was in her shoes.

However, something happened. Upon completing high school she was unable to further her education.

Remember I said she's brilliant, so it's not like she failed JAMB or something. It was because there was no money to sponsor her.

Time was moving so fast and as the days go bye my everyday crush was still at home. With little or no hope of furthering her education.

I was flipping through a childhood magazine recently and I saw her picture. The first question I asked myself was if I still wanted to be like her. Don't get me wrong. I'm not gloating over her plight I was only having a self analysis.

You see, it's never wrong to have a role model, someone who motivates you or someone you look up to. I have models too, but desiring and wishing to be in the shoes of another should never be an option when you try to be someone else you always end up moving in circles.

You're always struggling to catch up with the other person.

God is perfect and all knowing, whatever He ever created is perfect.

David in one of his Psalms exclaimed ":I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

If God ever wanted us to be the same I think He wouldn't have created us uniquely and differently. Maybe He'd create only one person but He choose to fix different qualities and features in each and every one of us.

And so, even if you're an identical twin your ability differs.

Because someone close to you is doing extremely well doesn't mean you should wish to be in their stead.

Purpose and timing differs.

So you wish to be like Late Nelson Mandela. I hope you know he spent 27years of his life in prison. Do you still want to be like him?

Oh! How you wish you were Joyce Meyer. Should I remind you that she was sexually abused (raped) by her father consistently as a Child?

Do you still want to be like her or you're having a second thought already.

These people paid Their price!

You have your price to pay too and I doubt if you'll be able to pay their kind of price.

We all have our battles!

Don't ever wish to be in the shoes of another.

The fire they went through might burn you to ashes.

The rivers they swam through might drown you.

Always remember that "to be yourself in a world that's constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Excellent write up

1 Like

Re: Learn To Be Yourself by Jemimahdada7: 12:09pm On Aug 16, 2020
Thank you sis

Stargurl20:

Excellent write up

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Have Nigerian Verified Upwork Account For Sale With 20 Connects / My Brothers, How Life? / Love Is Another Woman: Flash Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.