Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,938 members, 7,814,179 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen (3505 Views)

Gadget Purchase: Are Nairaland Escrow's A Disaster Waiting To Happen. / Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry / Infinix X571 Note 4 Pro Flash Charging Is Fluctuating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by skyhighweb1: 9:01pm On Aug 16, 2020
Wireless charging is increasingly common in modern smartphones, and there’s even speculation that Apple might ditch charging via a cable entirely in the near future.

But the slight convenience of juicing up your phone by plopping it onto a pad rather than plugging it in comes with a surprisingly robust environmental cost.

According to new calculations from OneZero and iFixit, wireless charging is drastically less efficient than charging with a cord, so much so that the widespread adoption of this technology could necessitate the construction of dozens of new power plants around the world. (Unless manufacturers find other ways to make up for the energy drain, of course.)

On paper, wireless charging sounds appealing. Just drop a phone down on a charger and it will start charging. There’s no wear and tear on charging ports, and chargers can even be built into furniture.

Not all of the energy that comes out of a wall outlet, however, ends up in a phone’s battery. Some of it gets lost in the process as heat.

While this is true of all forms of charging to a certain extent, wireless chargers lose a lot of energy compared to cables. They get even less efficient when the coils in the phone aren’t aligned properly with the coils in the charging pad, a surprisingly common problem.

To get a sense of how much extra power is lost when using wireless charging versus wired charging in the real world, I tested a Pixel 4 using multiple wireless chargers, as well as the standard charging cable that comes with the phone.

I used a high-precision power meter that sits between the charging block and the power outlet to measure power consumption.

In my tests, I found that wireless charging used, on average, around 47% more power than a cable.

Charging the phone from completely dead to 100% using a cable took an average of 14.26 watt-hours (Wh). Using a wireless charger took, on average, 21.01 Wh. That comes out to slightly more than 47% more energy for the convenience of not plugging in a cable.

In other words, the phone had to work harder, generate more heat, and suck up more energy when wirelessly charging to fill the same size battery.

How the phone was positioned on the charger significantly affected charging efficiency. The flat Yootech charger I tested was difficult to line up properly. Initially I intended to measure power consumption with the coils aligned as well as possible, then intentionally misalign them to detect the difference.

Instead, during one test, I noticed that the phone wasn’t charging. It looked like it was aligned properly, but while trying to fiddle with it, the difference between positions that charged properly and those that didn’t charge at all could be measured in millimeters.

Without a visual indicator, it would be impossible to tell. Without careful alignment, this could make the phone take way more energy to charge than necessary or, more annoyingly, not charge at all.

READ ON

https://onezero.medium.com/wireless-charging-is-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-48afdde70ed9?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

BROUGHT TO YOU BY
WWW.SOUNDLALA.COM
KONTROL YOUR TRACK

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Remarkable: 12:54am On Aug 17, 2020
Makes sense to me.
I had to even ditch wireless charging, it might look cool but its just slow af.

5 Likes

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Lexusgs430: 1:22am On Aug 17, 2020
Due to the destructive nature of electricity current supplied by our electricity providers, that wireless charging would prevent your device from premature motherboard current overload destruction ...........

6 Likes

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Sinachi100: 7:06am On Aug 17, 2020
Lexusgs430:
Due to the destructive nature of electricity current supplied by our electricity providers, that wireless charging would prevent your device from premature motherboard current overload destruction ...........

Daddy God bless u joorgrin

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Holatunde111(m): 7:06am On Aug 17, 2020
Available on Whatsapp for all trade and deal

https:///2348123579491?text=Hello%20fast%20bot%2C%20I%20want%20to%20trade............

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by directonpc(m): 7:08am On Aug 17, 2020
Wireless charging na gimmick just like Buhari train
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Youngpo413: 7:16am On Aug 17, 2020
But the wire-less charger still get 'wire' o!

5 Likes

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by tolugar: 7:21am On Aug 17, 2020
I have been using it at home for over 2 years.

It’s cool. Just drop and go

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Lexusgs430: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2020
Sinachi100:

Daddy God bless u joorgrin

The truth is bitter pill......... cheesy
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Simplecity(m): 8:16am On Aug 17, 2020
Same way you said touchscreen phones is a disaster waiting to happen....but the rest they say is history smiley

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Lamiri(m): 8:22am On Aug 17, 2020
u
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Sofistcatdmoron: 8:25am On Aug 17, 2020
So where is the disaster,, bloggers and lies
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by skyhighweb1: 9:51am On Aug 17, 2020
Sofistcatdmoron:
So where is the disaster,, bloggers and lies
me i dont know oh
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by bidexer(m): 9:58am On Aug 17, 2020
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by gangstarmonk(m): 10:23am On Aug 17, 2020
Lexusgs430:

lol grin well, said.

Make phone no blow again...
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Sinachi100: 10:49am On Aug 17, 2020
Lexusgs430:

The truth is bitter pill......... cheesy
Oga Lexusg Biko do give awaygrin
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by obinna58(m): 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2020
Misleading headline, wireless charging is still under development.

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by VerifiedStalin: 12:32pm On Aug 17, 2020
Lexusgs430:

That's why it's important to always check the voltage of chargers before you buy them. Most phones are rated to have 5 Volts. This means that your charger should also be within this range. Else, you'd risk your device burning due to short-circuit caused by fluctuating voltage.

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Idiotmod: 1:17pm On Aug 17, 2020
Ever since I don dey use wireless charging phone. I never test am
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by richfriendsng: 1:25pm On Aug 17, 2020
I had always known that it is just a matter of time, we start seeing the hazardous sides of all this emissions.

Meanwhile,
Very affordable Plots of land for sale in Unizik, Awka.
Check the first post on my profile for details
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by 1zynnvn(m): 1:39pm On Aug 17, 2020
Saw this on YouTube, laterclips or Lew later can remember which ,these are but perks of a new technology, and as all technologies, improvements come as years go by, you can't just dump it cos of these 'little' challenges, in years to come, there would be more power efficiency in charging wirelessly. Just give it time.
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Onyenna(m): 1:41pm On Aug 17, 2020
Okay
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Thebwoy: 2:17pm On Aug 17, 2020
Same way smartphone users are gradually getting tired of wired headphones
That is same way we'll get tired of wired charger.

Na evolution, you can't stop it unless you're pastor Chris cheesy grin
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 17, 2020
At the end, human health suffers the negative effect of the invention..
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by investigator007: 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2020
I think the spread of wireless charging is quite inevitable with time, but before then let's cherish what we have in devices like the Pouvoir 4 that has a battery capacity to last to last you very long just with one charge
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Corroro: 5:12pm On Aug 23, 2020
as far as technology is concerned, wireless charging will definitely come to stay, its more of a evolution
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Corroro: 5:13pm On Aug 23, 2020
investigator007:
I think the spread of wireless charging is quite inevitable with time, but before then let's cherish what we have in devices like the Pouvoir 4 that has a battery capacity to last to last you very long just with one charge
very true, if you got a device like the pouvoir 4 with its 6000 mah battery, charging would be amongst the least of your troubles.

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Kunja2: 6:10pm On Aug 23, 2020
This is great news. But I do not think I'll love to use wireless charging
Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Kunja2: 6:12pm On Aug 23, 2020
investigator007:
exactly. Meaning they have to fine tune it and make it more seamless. That pouvoir 4 is a powerbank on its own.

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen by Kunja2: 6:12pm On Aug 23, 2020
Wolgrace:
At the end, human health suffers the negative effect of the invention..
exactly the point.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Phone Of 30 - 40k / JUMIA Mobile Week is a Total Scam / Apps Force Closing In Camon Cx Air ...pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.