Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,135 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Four Reasons For Mentor-Protege Clashes - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Four Reasons For Mentor-Protege Clashes (1355 Views)

3 Reasons For Becoming An Employpreneur / Four Reasons To Cultivate Patience / A Mentor Is Needed Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Four Reasons For Mentor-Protege Clashes by constancefriday(m): 3:55pm On Aug 19, 2020
The 4 main reason why should be mentors clash or quarrel with should've been protege are:
(1) Respect Issues: Respect is a two way traffic. Some mentors make the mistake of thinking respect should come in one direction (their direction alone) and not flow back through the return path.
I hear things like, am i your mate? Did you know how many years i've been doing this Boy?? etc
Success is not about who's doing things first, it's about who's doing it the best way.
A Mentor is not really a mentor if his proteges aren't doing better than him. I've trained lots of students who're presently very successful in their various fields of life. They even appear more successful than me as we speak (However i'm still pursuing towards more personal successes as an individual fyi). It speaks well of me as a mentor. Proteges should respect the years of experience of their mentors if they want to last longer in the game or business.
(2) Misinterpretation of Confidence: As a young successful and evolving Teacher, Preacher and Motivational Speaker i've experienced occassions when older Folks in my career came and rapped me on the top and said "You don't have respect" and i'm like: "wait a second why in the heck did i get rapped on the top so hard? I was just being confident with my skills Sir. I didn't mean no harm! Do i even have to apologise for being rapped hard on my top for being confident. You don't have to apologise for being bold and confident! Young Folks but try to be respectful.
(3) Suffocating Grip: This has to do with always keeping an eye on every single jot, piece and gobbet of what the protege is up to. Micromanaging your protege makes them feel suffocated and could make them a tiny little bit resentful.
As a mentor it's good to allow your proteges some room to be themselves and not constantly breathe hard over their every activities..
(4) Hyperdependence:
Some Mentors are crafty, they take off a few pieces/clues off the puzzle deliberately just to make sure their proteges keeps coming back to feast from their palms. This creates hyperdependence which isn't exactly cool.
However a good protege always knows his mentor should be consulted in times of difficulty that requires experienced counsel.
So to cut the whole long story short, Mentors should value their proteges and proteges should value their mentors.
One more thing GRATITUDE is a virtue.
When the Mentor is grateful to his proteges and the Protege is grateful to his mentor there's least likely gonna be issues between them.
Cheers!
Remain Blessed!!
Yours Sincerely;
Apostle Constance Friday.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Four Reasons For Mentor-Protege Clashes by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 19, 2020
constancefriday:
The 4 main reason why should be mentors clash or quarrel with should've been protege are:
(1) Respect Issues: Respect is a two way traffic. Some mentors make the mistake of thinking respect should come in one direction (their direction alone) and not flow back through the return path.
I hear things like, am i your mate? Did you know how many years i've been doing this Boy?? etc
Success is not about who's doing things first, it's about who's doing it the best way.
A Mentor is not really a mentor if his proteges aren't doing better than him. I've trained lots of students who're presently very successful in their various fields of life. They even appear more successful than me as we speak (However i'm still pursuing towards more personal successes as an individual fyi). It speaks well of me as a mentor. Proteges should respect the years of experience of their mentors if they want to last longer in the game or business.
(2) Misinterpretation of Confidence: As a young successful and evolving Teacher, Preacher and Motivational Speaker i've experienced occassions when older Folks in my career came and rapped me on the top and said "You don't have respect" and i'm like: "wait a second why in the heck did i get rapped on the top so hard? I was just being confident with my skills Sir. I didn't mean no harm! Do i even have to apologise for being rapped hard on my top for being confident. You don't have to apologise for being bold and confident! Young Folks but try to be respectful.
(3) Suffocating Grip: This has to do with always keeping an eye on every single jot, piece and gobbet of what the protege is up to. Micromanaging your protege makes them feel suffocated and could make them a tiny little bit resentful.
As a mentor it's good to allow your proteges some room to be themselves and not constantly breathe hard over their every activities..
(4) Hyperdependence:
Some Mentors are crafty, they take off a few pieces/clues off the puzzle deliberately just to make sure their proteges keeps coming back to feast from their palms. This creates hyperdependence which isn't exactly cool.
However a good protege always knows his mentor should be consulted in times of difficulty that requires experienced counsel.
So to cut the whole long story short, Mentors should value their proteges and proteges should value their mentors.
Cheers!
Remain Blessed!

Well said. The greatest of all is when a man forces himself on another person to be his or her mentor. Mentorship should be a 2-way thing. Every mentor, teacher or even potential mentors should ask themselves this - do your mentees see you as their mentor?

1 Like

Re: Four Reasons For Mentor-Protege Clashes by Sunmolar(m): 4:23pm On Aug 19, 2020
Mentors in Nigeria,I hail ooooo.

While mentoring you,they re ursurping you.

If you think you're clever,they tell you go to hell.

1 Like

Re: Four Reasons For Mentor-Protege Clashes by ademchij: 3:32am On Aug 03, 2021
constancefriday:
(4) Hyperdependence:
When the Mentor is grateful to his proteges and the Protege is grateful to his mentor there's least likely gonna be issues between them.
Cheers!
Remain Blessed!!
Yours Sincerely;
Re: Four Reasons For Mentor-Protege Clashes by stephieok: 9:21am On Sep 26, 2021
constancefriday:
(4) Hyperdependence:
Cheers!
Remain Blessed!!
Yours Sincerely;

(1) (Reply)

Cisa Certification / Are Fresh Grads Of Today Smarter Than Previous Grads? / Foa Accredited Center In Lagos Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.