Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review (26201 Views)

Burna Boy Wins Grammy With 'Twice As Tall' Album / Grammy: Burna Boy Reacts As “Twice As Tall” Album Gets Nomination / Burna Boy’s "Twice As Tall" Album Launched In London (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by mantosa(m): 11:25am On Aug 20, 2020
A Giant’s Story: The ‘twice As Tall’ Album Review

A close look at the Twice As Tall album feature list, will give you a slight indication of what is to come.

But it doesn’t prepare you for the full impact.

Burna Boy proves with this amazing body of work that his self-professed title of African giant holds considerable promise, especially against a backdrop of a new crop of global audience.

It’s refreshing to see a musical work that is a proper album and not just a collection of songs pieced haphazardly together. The highly anticipated LP, ‘Twice As Tall’ is positioned for a global audience and that is much evident from the remarkable artiste features that elevates the music from the company of the usual Nigerians suspects to a more global collective, with guest appearances from Chris Martin, Stormzy and the legendary Naughty by Nature.

The work opens with the classic ‘Level Up (Twice as Tall)’ featuring the African legend, Youssou N’Dour who instantly pulls you in with a soul-stirring rendition that helps unpack Burna Boy’s narrative of pain.

The LP can be summarized as a compilation of Burna Boy’s Grammy aftermath story. Track after track, Burna Boy is not afraid to mouth his many failings and disappointments and the reaction of people to the hand dealt him in his career.

From ‘Level Up,’ ‘Alarm Clock’ to ‘Way Too Big,’ Burna’s mission to assert his musical dominance clearly comes through and he’s not subtle about his political propensity in ‘Monsters You Made’ and ‘Wetin Dey Sup.

It’s not clear why ‘Wonderful’ is the lead single on this LP, with the array of songs available for the pickings, but with P.Diddy, executive producing the album he might have had something to do with the choice. Diddy’s voice clearly comes through in a few tracks, whether to imprint himself in the work or to add creative colour to the tracks, we are not mad at the result.

The familiar sounding, ‘Comma’ takes a shot at the irregularities of a 21st century woman looks and all. If Burna Boy is looking to acquire more female following, this is definitely not the way to do it.

23’ spotlights Burna Boy’s struggle with dealing with the negativity and two-faced reception he has gotten from music industry stakeholders. The starting line, ‘Music Make Me Feel I Be Jordan’ aptly summarizes the strange title, ‘23’ which celebrates the jersey number of basket ball’s finest, Michael Jordan.

Monsters You Made,’ with the smooth rock exterior by Chris Martin is an authentic protester’s anthem. Burna Boy raves at everything from the white man’s doctored education system to the rape of the Niger Delta region.

Burna Boy and Stormzy trade street stories in the track ‘Real Life’; stories about survival, good times and peace of mind and it’s a smooth, mid-tempo vibe that will definitely take you on a cruise. The LP ends nicely with ‘Bank On It,’ Burna’s attempt to consolidate his integrity and the choir-type chorus rendition at the end adds a colourful touch to the track.

If there’s anything missing in Burna Boy’s ‘Twice As Tall’ album, it’s a visible Nigerian creative input, because no Nigerian music artiste was featured anywhere in the body of work. Then again that’s probably because the work required only one.

source: https://tushmagazine.com.ng/a-giants-story-the-twice-as-tall-album-review/

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by EyezofGod120: 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
grin damn niggaarr!!2nd FTC in 2020
Let's settle this matter ones and for all
Like for burna boi share for wizkid and davido

163 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by handsomeyinka(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
His going places...

Am proud of our naija music industry..

Even white people here sabi dance our naija song
Pass we naija wey dey here..

Oyinbo don dey dance soapy.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by GeneralPula: 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
The album no too galant..

All the previous burna albums are way better..

159 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Samsimple(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
are you really vibing to this album or it's just peer pressure. undecided

177 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by gambia(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
Next head line please undecided

3 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by deepwater(f): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
truth be told, the songs no sweet

Favourchris:

The abulm is for the world not Nigeria.

U need to widen ur scope of taste .... U are used to shekpe and and soco soco 100x

my dear
u need to calm down down like this....
the song is not for Nigeria yen yen yen .........
Nigeria killl u there, which accent them use sing the song?

@bolded
my sister, i no dey chop dog meat!
no need to taste am

86 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Iceyjayzz(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
Album of the year

11 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by awoniyi1236(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
Oluwa Burna

I bet they thought it was cool
Probably thought we was fools
When we would break all the rules
And skip them classes in school
Because the teacher dem teaching
What the white man dem teaching
Dem European teachings in my African school
So Bleep the classes in school
Bleep Mungo Park and the fool
That said they found river Niger
They've been lying to you
Ain't no denying the truth
See what I'm tryin' to do
Is draw the line for the mothers crying
We're dying as youths
Come walk a mile in my shoes
See if you smile at the truth
See if you digest your food
That's when you might have a clue
Of what the Bleep we go through
You're fucking lucky if you

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Iceyjayzz(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
deepwater:
lol
What's funny? smh
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by ShoProperties(m): 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
Why are you guys booking space garri no need advert now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by OBTMOS(m): 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
The previous album is sweeter though

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by jericco1(m): 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
More power Burna

1 Like

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
Oluwa Burna!

1 Like

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
HOW COME MY HUSBAND IS INTIMIDATED BY ME?
A powerful message from Pst. Olajumoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euc-0KCckfM
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Yomit71(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
No more free transaction.
check my signature to benefit
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by philipstanley(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
Am Waiting for Righteousness89 before I comment

5 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by inoki247: 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
Leave all this Media Hype. Shey d Album Dope like M2M Wande Coal or Superstar Wizkid

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by RapistOnBail: 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
cool
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by kush1000(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Dangrace01: 12:08pm On Aug 20, 2020
Like to party is still burna boy greatest jam.

I still prefer burna boy of aristocrat records all burna jam with leriq is a classic

======> Profile

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by jericco1(m): 12:08pm On Aug 20, 2020
saaphiere:

Your picture get as e be
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by kkins25(m): 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2020
No feature anybody?? Haba burna!!!
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by dantajay: 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2020
Ok
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by IamGinger: 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2020
GeneralPula:
The album no too galant..

All the previous burna albums are way better..
but to the foreign audience its a spectacular african album... No worry yourself

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Mandela27: 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2020
Naija to the world.But our leaders dey on serious lapses..
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Iceyjayzz(m): 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2020
deepwater:
truth be told, the songs no sweet
Wetin you know before, if no be trashy songs. grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? / Name Your Best Reggae Artiste Of All Time. For Reggae Lovers. / Unity FM: Radio Station On Fire In Ebonyi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.