Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,112 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Fg Approves 2,600mw Mambilla Power Project - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fg Approves 2,600mw Mambilla Power Project (1552 Views)

FG, China To Fund $5bn Mambilla Power Plant / FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW / Power Supply To Increase By 600MW This Month - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Approves 2,600mw Mambilla Power Project by Beaf: 3:33pm On Feb 17, 2011
[size=14pt]Federal council approves 2,600mw Mambilla power project[/size]
By Elizabeth Archibong
February 17, 2011 02:00AM

The federal government yesterday estimated a total of $4 billion on the Mambilla power project expected to generate 2,600 mega watts of power in 2018. The final detailed engineering design, project management and supervision of the project, which had continuously been turned down was eventually approved at the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC), which was presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The conclusion of work on the engineering design and project management, which was awarded at a cost of $37.2million, is expected to kickoff fully before the end of 2011. Fielding questions from journalists after the FEC meeting which lasted for about an hour, the minister of state for power, Nuhu Wya, said the approval of the Mambilla project was a major milestone in the history of power generation and distribution in the country.

“This is a major milestone, which will give the one single project in the electricity sector a minimum of 2,600 mega watts of power all coming from the same station. It will be a major milestone in the history of this country,” he said. “The project has been on the drawing board and Mr. President has come out and held the bull by the horn and has now unravelled mystery behind Mambilla. He has done all the studies that needed to be done.

This time, he has commissioned a consultant to do the final detailed study, which will now enable any potential investor that will partner with the federal government to see this as a well-crafted project because of its magnitude, all the details have been consummated and now ready to fly”.

Key initiative

Speaking on how much the project is expected to cost, he said “the rough estimate for it is about $4 billion. The money will come partially from Federal Government funding and international financing”.

Mr. Wya also diclosed that one of Brazilian’s power companies had already shown interest in investing in the multi-purpose project and that Mr. Jonathan had set up a committee to commence discussions on the modality for the involvement of the company. The minister of information and communications, Labaran Maku, said the contract was first brought to council for deliberation in January 2011, but was suspended because of the complaint raised by some of the companies who bidded for the projects. He explained that the Mambilla project hydroelectric power project “is one of the key initiatives of the federal government towards improving energy security in the country”.

FEC also approved the variation order on contract for the construction of 338mw Egbema power plant project under the Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited, to accommodate three additional gas turbines and combined cycle operation to raise expected generation to 675MW, at a cost of $54.645 million. The contract for the construction of the Egbema power plant project was first awarded in 2006 at a cost of $128,366,751.74 million.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5678015-147/story.csp
Re: Fg Approves 2,600mw Mambilla Power Project by Nsiman(m): 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2011
Gej, u will be a hero in terms power and infrastructural development when u leave office in 2015. Ride on
Re: Fg Approves 2,600mw Mambilla Power Project by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 17, 2011
^^^
I hope so
Re: Fg Approves 2,600mw Mambilla Power Project by blacksta(m): 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2011
2018 when tenure don end

I laugh in phcn

The British think tank don talk am - come 2020 - Nigeria would have achieved A power generation of 7500 MW

Sometimes i wonder where this oyinbo get information about Nigeria. I must they are spot on.
Re: Fg Approves 2,600mw Mambilla Power Project by courage89(m): 12:40am On Dec 28, 2011
What is the status of this project. While i understand that it takes about 2- 3 years to complete a full Engineering, Procurement and Construction of a power project. I would like to know what stage they're in right now. I think it is about time government established a think - tank group or websites that will continue to furnish us with blow-by-blow details / updates on major power projects, revamps and other developments

(1) (Reply)

Bulk Recharge Card Pin Seller In Port-harcourt / The Vconnect Business Hunt / Tilcor Stone Coated Roofing Tiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.