Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final (22048 Views)

NPFL: Pictures From The Trophy Presentation To Champions Rivers United / Gnabry Scores A Hat-Trick, Sane Shines As Bayern Munchen Rout Schalke 8 - 0 / Oshoala On Target As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Super Cup Final (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by naptu2: 4:19am On Aug 22, 2020
Oshoala shines as Barcelona edge Atletico Madrid to Champions League semi-final

SAMUEL AHMADU

Africa Women's Football Correspondent

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12179691_asisatoshoalabarcelona1gg1gs7v8p9981m1pci93padpp_jpeg59aed12d0c68426d80e784f8e9f7513a

The Nigeria international was in action to help the Calatans defeat their Spanish rivals at San Mames Stadium on Friday

Asisat Oshoala provided an assist as Barcelona advanced into the semi-final of the Uefa Women's Champions League following a 1-0 win against Atletico Madrid in Bilbao on Friday. 

After an 8-1 aggregate victory over Minsk last October, the Nigeria international played a key role to help the Catalans seal their progress to the last four of the tournament.

Oshoala, who had scored 26 goals in 26 appearances this season, was handed her fourth Champions League outing this term and made her sixth meeting with Atletico since arriving in Spain.

Lluis Cortes' team enjoyed the bulk of possession but could not find a breakthrough past the rock-solid defence of Atletico as both teams went into the half-time break tied.

After the restart, Barcelona continued with their dominance but failed to break the resistance of Dani Gonzalez's side until Oshoala's miscued acrobatic effort fell into defensive midfielder Kheira Hamraoui's path, and she duly grabbed the winner 10 minutes from time.

Oshoala, who was in action for 82 minutes before being replaced by Aitana Bonmati, has now contributed an assist and a goal in five outings for Barcelona in the competition this season.

The 26-year-old striker has now been involved in Barcelona's last five victories against Atletico in all competitions, scoring four goals.

She will hope to help Barcelona continue in the same vein in the semi-final of the tournament on August 25 when they take on Wolfsburg, who humiliated Glasgow City 9-1.

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/oshoala-shines-as-barcelona-edge-atletico-madrid-to/pphunuwi1sqo1ukxfa2ullt0q?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Highlights and interviews with Asisat Oshoala and Caroline Graham Hansen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rY2Uy8FC0w

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:27am On Aug 22, 2020
#RESPECT

From all of us @ : CONGRATULATIONS Asisat 'Naptu' Oshoala!!

This is only the beginning of more success for you.
Keep making us proud out there.

You are BORN TO WIN.

Much Love gurl.
Respectful babe from a good home!

Keep Flying The Green Flag Higher.

kiss kiss

It's not pride... It's class... says beautiful EniHolar,
where you @ dearie?

EniHolar:

I'm right beside you. Just observing things from a distance kiss
Yesss ooo! wink
Good to hear from you darling.
Have a blessed weekend ahead.
See you around.
Hugs and kiss kiss kiss

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by naptu2: 4:58am On Aug 22, 2020
Today's quarter-finals.

Arsenal vs PSG

Lyon vs Bayern Munich

6 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by VirginSearcher(m): 5:02am On Aug 22, 2020
The only greatest Yoruba footballer of all times, pls stay away from Buhari and Tinubu praises if u wanna succeed the more babe

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by phransix2: 5:04am On Aug 22, 2020
Seriously the girl dey try.

6 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by Lincoln275(m): 5:04am On Aug 22, 2020
My girl
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by bewla(m): 5:04am On Aug 22, 2020
Not again

Atletico next time u come across any Spanish team consult me I get carry of charm u don't need to play the match them go award u three go

otomopo they here

real jazz

ask Hus poppy how him enter net
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:04am On Aug 22, 2020
Lincoln275:
My girl
Awwwwwwww, Lincoln is in love. kiss kiss
Don't worry and never give up,
She may see this somehow and gift you a Lincoln Navigator (2020 model) for Xmas!

#NeverGiveUp

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by jamalnation(m): 5:05am On Aug 22, 2020
Go Arsenal ladies

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by princeSammyz: 5:07am On Aug 22, 2020
Asissat for the trophy... Go Barca. At least if we no collect the main Champions League, make we manage this one. Woman were no get nyash go get breast

6 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by calculator123(m): 5:10am On Aug 22, 2020
Yoruba Amaka

2 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by nBag(m): 5:10am On Aug 22, 2020
that's my definition of real slay queen. she con fine join am.

3 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by bewla(m): 5:11am On Aug 22, 2020
post=93086363:

She may see this somehow and gift you a Lincoln Navigator (2020 model) for Xmas!

#NeverGiveUp
Its early to be quoting some one
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by paulolee(m): 5:11am On Aug 22, 2020
beta pikin
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by calculator123(m): 5:12am On Aug 22, 2020
If Barca males don't give is joy, the female should give us joy

4 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by naptu2: 5:12am On Aug 22, 2020
Oshoala's interview before the quarter-final.

IN MY OWN WORDS: Asisat Oshoala

The Nigerian striker reveals several secrets about her life ahead of the Champions League final stages

08:21AM SUNDAY 16 AUG (GMT)

WOMEN

Hello culers!

I want to tell you about some parts of my life that you may not know about, now that we can finally play again after such a long break...

Phew, lockdown was difficult for me, because I was living alone for almost four months. I was shut indoors at home all the time and was obviously scared at first because I didn’t want to catch the virus. For two months I only left the house to go to the supermarket, and as soon as I got home I threw all my clothes in the wash! I also carried on training with all the uncertainty of not knowing what was going to happening to La Liga and the Champions League.

As I was so frightened, I spent a lot of time on the phone to my family, my mum, my dad, my family and friends. It meant a lot to stay in touch with them by video calls. And the situation in Nigeria wasn’t good either, especially in my city, Lagos, the capital.

My parents are shopkeepers. My family is polygamous. I know that sounds very strange in Europe but it’s normal in my country. In a Muslim society a man can have more than one wife. I think it’s quite natural because that’s the way it has always been for me. My father has two wives, and one of them is my mother. I have seven brothers and sisters, two from my mum and four from my father’s other wife.

I am very active on social networks so I am always in contact with my family. As I am alone so much time here, I also use Twitter and Instagram to engage with other people and have fun. I love it.

"I observe Ramadan as well. It was much easier this year because it was at the same time as lockdown"! - Asisat Oshoala

I believe in God. I pray, but I don’t always have my head covered. Just a few times or when I am at home. I obviously can’t wear a veil in my work. I observe Ramadan as well. It was much easier this year because it was at the same time as lockdown!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12142338_Oshoala9min_jpg7f98b92f85a87a7c05fc9c5855699740

I went to a mixed school for boys and girls, and that’s where I started playing football during playtime and after class. I played for fun in the streets of Lagos, mainly on Sundays. And then I joined a girls’ team in the city. I was happy because I could play football every day. I must admit it caused a lot of arguments with my mother, but I got my way. When I joined the Rivers Angels it opened the doors to the national team and for the first time I realised I could go on to become a professional.

Five years ago I set up my own foundation, which basically encourages girls to go ahead with their dream of turning professional. We only work with women because men have enough opportunities anyway. I speak to them and play with them and try to make them more confident and help them to find a club. We’ve helped about 5,000 girls. It’s my little bit to help girls in Lagos.

"Five yeaes ago I set up my own foundation, which basically encourages girls to go ahead with their dream of turning professional"

- Asisat Oshoala

I think that it is hard for girls in Africa to play football and other sports in general. A lot of them have the same problems that I had when I was little in that their parents don’t want them to play and there aren’t many options for women footballers. I tell them never to give up, to keep fighting and believing in themselves. To love their football and to play it whenever they can. If you believe hard enough, one day your dreams will come true.

That’s what happened to me. In 2012 I went to the U20 World Cup, as a defensive midfielder, and when I went again in 2014 I became a forward. I was top scorer and MVP at that tournament and that convinced me that I was good enough to make a career out of football and play in other countries. The first was England. Well, I did have a trial with París Saint-Germain before the second U20 World Cup, but my first European club was Liverpool when I was just 20 years old. I got other offers, but as my only language is English, I took that option.

It was a good decision. I like Liverpool a lot. And that coach really believed in me and I was playing very well until I got injured. It was a nice experience and then I joined Arsenal the year after. I was very young and the changes were a lot for me to deal with, but I tried to adapt and be happy.

Then came the Chinese adventure. OMG! Dalian was a nice place, and my coach Farid Benstiti was like a father for me. He knew me from when I had a trail at PSG, and we spoke a lot and he boosted my confidence. The language, the food, the place, the people, it was all so different to Europe, but I was glad to have a European coach because none of the other players could speak English and I needed a private translator to speak to them. But despite all of that, it was a good experience.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12142339_20190131SIGNATURAASISAT15min_jpg66ddaf54b2f12af040dc3a61600512b1

The time came when I decided to return to Europe. That was in 2019 and the chance to come to Barça came up. I said yes. I didn’t think twice. I wanted to come here. From China, Barça was one of the best teams I had ever seen and I wanted to be part of that team. It was a magical moment to be able to come here.

My first six months were more than difficult. It was a new environment and not many people speak English, and I joined midway through the season so I had to adapt much quicker than normal. But I got too see a lot of interesting things in that half year, including qualifying for the Champions League final. Wow! I’d never played a game like that! I am proud to have scored Barça’s first ever goal in a European final but was also sad about the result. We had chances, and these are all about experiences, but we couldn’t do it.

"Now  we have another Champions League challenge ahead, against the best teams in Europe, and they are one-legged games in the Basque Country. We have to do the best we can"

- Asisat Oshoala

Now we have another Champions League challenge ahead, against the best teams in Europe, and they are one-legged games in the Basque Country. We have to do the best we can. After playing this competition last year, I know how competitive it is. I think the team can go far again. It will be hard after not playing for six months, but the game with Atlético will be one to watch.

Personally I’m feeling great. I’ve been improving and feel I fit better into the way the team plays. I’ve been scoring goals in the preseason and things are going well.

Everyone knows me for my long hair and last year I decided on a change of look. I cut my hair short. If I see a colour I like, I dye my hair. It’s orange at the moment, but next week it could be red, pink or yellow. Not for any special reason, simply because I like a change. 

Before ending I want to congratulate the whole Barça family for winning the league after such a long time without winning it. I hope you will all be supporting us from your homes and that we will see you all again at the stadium very soon, and that we will all be able to celebrate the league title together.

Visca el Barça!

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/news/1753896/in-my-own-words-asisat-oshoala/amp

4 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by calculator123(m): 5:12am On Aug 22, 2020
bewla:

Kettle calling pot black grin

What did you just do?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:14am On Aug 22, 2020
bewla:
Another Attention seeker......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by tophumble(m): 5:15am On Aug 22, 2020
That is my girl, always making us proud

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by bewla(m): 5:15am On Aug 22, 2020
calculator123:

What did you just do?

I only say

what did I say self
post=93086446]
Attention seeker......[/quote][quote author=calculator123
:

What did you just do?

I only say

what did I say self
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by calculator123(m): 5:17am On Aug 22, 2020
bewla:
I only say

what did I say self

You are confused, better sleep still dey your eyes grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by YurFatHer: 5:17am On Aug 22, 2020
she is better than most of the players in men team
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by Ategberoson(m): 5:17am On Aug 22, 2020
post=93086363:

#NeverGiveUp

Someone said my girl, you said he's in love

You like too much talk talk

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:18am On Aug 22, 2020
Ategberoson:
Someone said my girl, you said he's in love
Another Attention seeker........

2 Shares

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by gambia(m): 5:20am On Aug 22, 2020
True definition of slay queen.

2 Likes

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by EdiskyHarry: 5:20am On Aug 22, 2020
Congrats.
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by YorubaPrince: 5:21am On Aug 22, 2020
angry
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by bewla(m): 5:21am On Aug 22, 2020
calculator123:

You are confused, better sleep still dey your eyes grin cheesy
Most u join in the quote thing
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by Nobody: 5:21am On Aug 22, 2020
Thank You for COMMOTING shame from my Eye cry cry cry
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by ForeThinker: 5:22am On Aug 22, 2020
undecided
Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by naptu2: 5:23am On Aug 22, 2020
naptu2:
FC Robo (2013)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sN9IEkBUoU

Liverpool (2015)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10267777_liverpool_jpegf5b906a3b2610358536c6cecf4874bea

Arsenal (2016)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10267778_arsenal_jpeg55dab8ee39467ef92310b54e772e068a

Dalian (2017-2018)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10267779_dalian_jpegc77711bb7357b4c15edde3d87c3a0779

Barcelona (2019-2022)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10267780_barcelona_jpegddc2f365957bf7d30075e8c3cf8125c6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11023670_trueblue_jfif_jpeg26d3612407d3b70d0af154a1614c9135

1) The golden ball for being the best player at the 2014 FIFA Under 20 World Cup.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10087830_g_jpegb5568a2e9fbfe67d78600688f9dcea10

2) The golden boot for being the highest goal scorer at the 2014 FIFA Under 20 World Cup.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10087831_cqdoprwgaasjb_jpegdfe35aa70928449bd6cffa44ea9cc97b

3) The golden ball for being the best player at the 2014 African Women's Nations Cup. She also won the silver boot for being the second highest goal scorer at the tournament (second to Desire Oparanozie).
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10087832_ball_jpeg794303aa9549c7795fc86b3dab5502bf

4) The golden boot for being the highest goal scorer at the 2016 African Women's Nations Cup.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10087833_boot_jpeg90b61bb36b8c6990cf8ef6bb2d4c10d7

Also

1) highest goal scorer in the Nigerian Women’s League (2013)

2) Winner of the Nigerian Women’s League (with River’s Angels) (2014).

3) Winner of the Nigerian Women’s Cup (2013 and 2014)

4) Winner of the English FA Women’s Cup (2016)

5) Winner of the Chinese Women’s Super League 2017 & 2018.

6) Highest goal scorer in the Chinese Women’s Super League (2017).

7) Winner of the Chinese Women’s Super-Cup (2017)

8 ) Winner of the Copa Catalunya (2019).

9) Winner of the Spanish Women’s Super-Cup (2020).

10) BBC (World) Women’s Player of the Year (2015)

11) African Women’s Player of the Year (2014, 2016, 2017 & 2019)

12) Winner of the African Women’s Nations Cup (2014, 2016 & 2018).

13) 2019 UEFA Women's Champions League silver medallist (she scored in the final).

14) Winner of the Spanish Women's League (2020)

15) Second highest goal scorer in the Spanish Women's League 2020 (20 goals)

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oshoala Shines As Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid To Champions League Semi-Final by kheny12(m): 5:24am On Aug 22, 2020
Congrats to oshoala and her team,I wish them success in the semi final against Wolfsburg.Wolfsburg was a strongest team after Lyon women team.Lyon women vs Bayern women.Lyon will avenge their men loss and beat Bayern women today.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

TECNO Renews Partnership With Manchester City Football Club / Morocco Wants Rohr To Replace Renard As Atlas Lions Coach / Dangote Close To Buying Valenciennes, French Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.