Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing (5625 Views)

The Moment A Young Soldier Matched Pass The President Without Saluting / How To Pass Your Exam Without Reading / ASUU Calls On NASS To Pass The Bill To Amend NUC Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Scot1255: 10:48am On Aug 22, 2020
I mean, we have been writing and communicating in English since our primary school days. Native English speakers don't really speak English better than us. So if you have taken the exam before, I just want to know from you, would you have passed the exam if you didn't prepare at all.
Cos I've been procrastinating a lot and I feel like I should be able to take the exam without prior preparation.

2 Likes

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by iTroll: 10:50am On Aug 22, 2020
Yes

2 Likes

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by abiolert(m): 10:51am On Aug 22, 2020
Oga for me its an emphatic no. Its just quite unfortunate that Nigeria has been reduced to a state were you are now forced to write exams that is of no value to us, just because one is desperate to leave this country.
Let me tell you what I did when I was asked to present TOEFL or IELT , as criteria for admission in a school abroad, I bluntly told them I won't write that rubbish because am an English speaking country, whose first degree was with English. At the end, I was offered the admission . but trust me, I refused to attend the school.

12 Likes

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by PlayerMeji: 11:05am On Aug 22, 2020
Why don't we protest against these ielts exams that we write when English language has been our language of instruction from the beginning of our education?

South Africans where clearly more than half of their population do not communicate in standard English language have a waiver for this IELTS.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by unclemaths(m): 11:31am On Aug 22, 2020
Have you listened to South Africans speaking nice English?

Our spoken English has deviated from the Queens.

Read through comments on Nairaland and you will see inside life!

If your confidence is sure, then, no need, really.

But how many graduates know the difference between I'm and am and many other stuff..

Your best bet if you don't want to spend money on the prep:

Get sample past questions online so you'll know the feel before the main exam.

When is the next IELTS exam in Nigeria sef?

3 Likes

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Scot1255: 12:47pm On Aug 22, 2020
unclemaths:

But how many graduates know the difference between I'm and am and many other stuff..

Bro honestly I do not subscribe to going through the pain of writing words d right way when u are chatting or on an online forum. I use the typical Nigerian abbreviations a lot n it doesn't affect me when I have to be official. And regarding what you said about south Africans speaking queens English, what does accent have to do with speaking a language right. Secondly, south Africans accent is not even close to British

2 Likes

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by alphaNomega: 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2020
As a human being, you can't pass IELTS exam without any form of preparation.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by LordIsaac(m): 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2020
In my opinion, they are not testing only your ability to use the English language but to use it exactly as they do. This is why you need to prepare and know what they really want.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by psucc(m): 2:20pm On Aug 22, 2020
LordIsaac:
In my opinion, they are not testing only your ability to use the English language but to use it exactly as they do. This is why you need to prepare and know what they really want.
No sir! I don't agree with you on this.

The problem is that that exams is just another screening method to reduce the number of immigrants.

1 Like

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by AkwaIbomMan(m): 3:13pm On Aug 22, 2020
unclemaths:

Godddddd grin grin grin
You're very right though in a hilarious way
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by LordIsaac(m): 3:54pm On Aug 22, 2020
psucc:
No sir! I don't agree with you on this.

The problem is that that exams is just another screening method to reduce the number of immigrants.
I've personally studied the past questions in detail and the truth is, the exam covers many details we ignored or took for granted in our curriculum. Many Nigerians can hardly think and develop a thought in writing without blunders in spite of the years of instruction in English. That's what IELTS examines!
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by tarantino1: 4:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
unclemaths:

Nigerians are not the only ones guilty of I'm and am. If you think I'm lying, check twitter.

Inside life is a phrase used to invoke humour. It's not taken seriously and the accent Nigerians use while pronouncing it should tell you that it's actually pidgin.

I agree with you sha but this argument no be am at all

1 Like

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by majiddele75: 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2020
alphaNomega:
As a human being, you can't pass IELTS exam without any form of preparation.
You have no idea how much preparation you have done with all those foreign movies you watched without subtitles, or how many times you've had to speak to colleagues with impeccable grammar, reading comprehension has always been there at waec, job aptitudes etc...

1 Like

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 22, 2020
for the writing modules you will need techniques to pass, the rest are not that hard. I wrote in 7 times. needed 8777 for Canada immigration. but got 6.5 in writing six times. i don't regret it tho cos today I'm a permanent resident of Canada. citizenship loading in 2023. no time

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by abiolert(m): 5:20pm On Aug 22, 2020
[quote author=LordIsaac post=93100136]In my opinion, they are not testing only your ability to use the English language but to use it exactly as they do. This is why you need to prepare and know what they really want. [/quote
Oga even English speakers are sometimes not as fluent as some Nigerians. Its just exploitation and superiority agenda they are trying to promote over us. When I was asked to present it and I said I won't present it as a criteria, I was surprised I was still offered the admission without it. So guys wise up IELT is a big scam.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by LordIsaac(m): 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2020
[quote author=abiolert post=93106307][/quote]
The thing is "speaking" is only one of the four areas you'll be tested in which does not exceed 10minutes. It's an assessment exams very very few Nigerian graduates would pass, unfortunately; even though they claim to receive instructions in English.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by alphaNomega: 5:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
majiddele75:

You have no idea how much preparation you have done with all those foreign movies you watched without subtitles, or how many times you've had to speak to colleagues with impeccable grammar, reading comprehension has always been there at waec, job aptitudes etc...
Register for IELTS test, do not prepare, post your result on nairaland. I challenge you

2 Likes

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Mayordomlaw(m): 5:48pm On Aug 22, 2020
For the fact that I will agree with some people regarding the place of IELTS when Nigeria is an English speaking country, I will also state that a lot of people cannot present standard English. I've had first hand experience with quite a number of graduates and I can boldly say that the exam is not out of place.

As a test exam facilitator, you have to prepare for the exam to ace it. Averagely, you could get 5.5, 6.0 or 6.5 but to get 7.0-9.0, you need adequate preparation.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by majiddele75: 6:09pm On Aug 22, 2020
alphaNomega:
Register for IELTS test, do not prepare, post your result on nairaland. I challenge you
I did the exam already man...
I was in a hurry, needed it to get a tutor job where 8 was the minimum score to qualify....
Left the job for my dream job few months back..
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Hypnotise: 6:54pm On Aug 22, 2020
Scot1255:
I mean, we have been writing and communicating in English since our primary school days. Native English speakers don't really speak English better than us. So if you have taken the exam before, I just want to know from you, would you have passed the exam if you didn't prepare at all.
Cos I've been procrastinating a lot and I feel like I should be able to take the exam without prior preparation.
I scored a band 7 out of 9 in my IELTS exam though I could have done better.
IELTS exam is based on Listening, Writing, Reading, Speaking.
You do need pratice. You can start by downloading videos from YouTube and visit goodluckielts.com

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Ekpekus(m): 7:29pm On Aug 22, 2020
Scot1255:
You wan waste 70k so..
He that fails to plan, plans to fail

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Fatalveli(m): 8:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
Prepare very well for IELTS or you end up wasting your money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by zagorakis(m): 8:47pm On Aug 22, 2020
z
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by femi4: 8:59pm On Aug 22, 2020
Scot1255:
No, you can communicate effectively using wrong grammar. E.g You don't start a sentence with "Cos/because"

1 Like

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by flyingdutchman(m): 3:02am On Aug 23, 2020
I scored 90 /90 on my first attempt in PTE. This is equivalent to having 9.0 in IELTS. I never had time to study or prepare.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by alphaNomega: 5:16am On Aug 23, 2020
majiddele75:

I did the exam already man...
I was in a hurry, needed it to get a tutor job where 8 was the minimum score to qualify....
Left the job for my dream job few months back..

So your are telling me you took an IELTS test for the FIRST TIME, with NO FORM OF PREPARATION and scored a minimum of band 8 in all modules?
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 23, 2020
abiolert:
Oga for me its an emphatic no. Its just quite unfortunate that Nigeria has been reduced to a state were you are now forced to write exams that is of no value to us, just because one is desperate to leave this country.
Let me tell you what I did when I was asked to present TOEFL or IELT , as criteria for admission in a school abroad, I bluntly told them I won't write that rubbish because am an English speaking country, whose first degree was with English. At the end, I was offered the admission . but trust me, I refused to attend the school.
I like this

1 Like

Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by kode12: 8:48am On Aug 23, 2020
OP, Nigeria is an English-speaking country, I agree, however, when you listen to some "graduates" speak or worse still write, you'd realize fighting for the removal of such language exams might be a lost cause. I've seen people who've taken the IELTS up to three times and still failed. I went through a couple of mock tests in the early hours of the morning I was meant to take the exams and had an 8.5, so its definitely possible.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by abiolert(m): 9:07am On Aug 23, 2020
kode12:

Your response to the question posed, does not quite show your ability to comprehend the English Language (no offense), which is one component IELTS exam aims to test. OP, Nigeria is an English-speaking country, I agree, however, when you listen to some "graduates" speak or worse still write, you'd realize fighting for the removal of such language exams might be a lost cause. I've seen people who've taken the IELTS up to three times and still failed. I went through a couple of mock tests in the early hours of the morning I was meant to take the exams and had an 8.5, so its definitely possible.
Is it everyone in Native English speaking countries that can read and write?
My choice of English to respond to this topic was actually a mix of formal and informal approach. which was to create humor and at the same time add a touch of Nigerian style of writing to drive,home my point. For you to conclude that I can't comprehend English very well is up to you. I still stand on what I said earlier, IELT is Neo Racism in the making and I will never advice any one to write the exam.
If I decide to write this exam I will will score above what you scored.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by kode12: 9:28am On Aug 23, 2020
abiolert:

Is it everyone in Native English speaking countries that can read and write?
My choice of English to respond to this topic was actually a mix of formal and informal approach. which was to create humor and at the same time add a touch of Nigerian style of writing to drive,home my point. For you to conclude that I can't comprehend English very well is up to you. I still stand on what I said earlier, IELT is Neo Racism in the making and I will never advice any one to write the exam.
If I decide to write this exam I will will score above what you scored.
Haha! The only problem is, they've got nothing to prove. You want to school where that is a requirement, so the burden of proof rests with you. And yes, I agree, any African who attended a proper school, or at the least invested in developing proper skills in the language would speak and write better than 50% of Brits and almost 80% of Americans. However no school with strict requirements for IELTS or TOEFL will give you an admission without it, so lets get that out of the way, unless they accept that English attestation document from your university, whatever the name is.
Re: As a Nigerian, can I pass the IELTS exam without preparing by oyatz(m): 4:26pm On Nov 06, 2021
flyingdutchman:
I scored 90 /90 on my first attempt in PTE. This is equivalent to having 9.0 in IELTS. I never had time to study or prepare.

What is PTE?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

When You Finally Get To Heaven And You Find Out Money Ritual Is Not A Sin / 12 Hot Researchable Topics For Nigerian Students / Unilag: Part Time (dli) Form Now On Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.