Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,254 members, 7,829,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) (1605 Views)

‘TikTok Challenge’ Circulates Info-Stealing Malware – NCC / Blackberry Phones Are Coming Back In 2021, With 5G And Physical Keyboard / These Are Best 10 Chinese Phones Money Can Buy At The Moment. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by womenareapes: 10:53pm On Aug 24, 2020
Security researchers found that some Chinese phones (most notably Tecno-made) shipped with money-stealing malware.
It subscribed users to paid services and couldn’t even be removed.
The phone maker blamed it on a vendor in the supply chain.

While many politicians are focused on potential spying from Huawei phones, there may be a more practical security risk in the wild: out-of-the-box malware.

Secure-D and BuzzFeed News have learned that some low-cost Tecno W2 phones shipped to countries around the world infected with malware meant to steal money from customers. The Triada and xHelper software would quietly download apps and subscribe to paid services. This caused unexpected bills and data overages for buyers who were already some of the most disadvantaged in the world.

Chinese phones with money-stealing malware?
While pre-loaded malware on phones isn’t a completely new concept, Malwarebytes analyst Nathan Collier told BuzzFeed that Triada and xHelper were particularly insidious. While they create pop-ups and other headaches expected from this kind of malware, they can’t be removed with a factory reset.

The phones mainly reached African countries, including Egypt, Ghana, and South Africa. However, some devices also reached Indonesia and Myanmar. Secure-D said it blocked 844,000 malware transactions between March and December 2019.

The best budget phones you can buy
Transsion, the China-based company behind the Tecno brand, has pinned the malware on an unnamed “vendor in the supply chain process.” It said that it delivered fixes for Triada in March 2018 and xHelper in late 2019. However, the issue doesn’t appear to have gone away. Secure-D said it was still blocking Triada and xHelper on Transsion phones through April 2020, and it may simply be dormant.

Companies like TCL have had similar problems with preloaded malware, Secure-D added.

There’s no evidence of malicious intent on Transsion’s part. However, this doesn’t help the reputation of Chinese phones at a moment when many are already anxious. It also leaves many would-be buyers in a difficult position. Tecno is appealing precisely because it’s one of the few brands aimed primarily at low-income buyers. Customers might not have many alternatives if they’re worried enough to avoid Tecno entirely.

Source: https://www.androidauthority.com/chinese-phones-malware-developing-nations-1150962/?fbclid=IwAR2oLhr3J9y3YRebxQZPlQcOfUyGLXbUvOHMx6EN2AG3JTddipjw4wt35Lo
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Omihanifa: 10:56pm On Aug 24, 2020
Chinese people are crooks undecided
And our lame duck SON &FCPC won't even bother to do anything about it until there's a major outcry

3 Likes

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Madibah(m): 10:59pm On Aug 24, 2020
Bullshit product undecided

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by womenareapes: 11:03pm On Aug 24, 2020
Omihanifa:
And our lame duck SON &FCPC won't even bother to do anything about it until there's a major outcry
seriously!
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by scarycuteface(m): 12:40am On Aug 25, 2020
Nawa oo
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by rxmusa(m): 6:00am On Aug 25, 2020
I said it! I knew it!! I suspected it!!!
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by MrBONE2(m): 7:32am On Aug 25, 2020
Omihanifa:
undecided

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by SIONKPO1(m): 8:08am On Aug 25, 2020
@Op, You are right,most Chinese phones just start downloading Bullshits once they gets access to data(network),seriously we need to wake up cause Chinese are monitoring all our moves and are also ripping us up
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Nbotee(m): 8:55am On Aug 25, 2020
Some of U are funny.. Ur ignorance is embarasing... U claim chinese shipped fones are stealing ur data and U went ahead to mention tecno.. Is Tecno shipped from China?? Tecno isn't even assembled in China talk more shipping from China

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Nbotee(m): 8:58am On Aug 25, 2020
SIONKPO1:
@Op, You are right,most Chinese phones just start downloading Bullshits once they gets access to data(network),seriously we need to wake up cause Chinese are monitoring all our moves and are also ripping us up

Ripping U of what exactly? Some of U need to take a chill pill and stop getting paranoid.

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by KrazyDave16(m): 9:14am On Aug 25, 2020
Nbotee:
Some of U are funny.. Ur ignorance is embarasing... U claim chinese shipped fones are stealing ur data and U went ahead to mention tecno.. Is Tecno shipped from China?? Tecno isn't even assembled in China talk more shipping from China
The OS bruh, the OS...

iPhones are assembled in China but OS are done and sent out from Cupertino (California).

Transsion assembles their phones in Africa (Ethiopia abi where) but OS straight from their HQ in Shenzhen (China).

Google Pixel phones are done in China but the OS is from (drum roll please)... Mountain View (also California!)

Need I go on?

There's lots of free information about how OS and UI works (XDA and the comment section of Android-related threads on reddit) but short of it is OEMs like Transsion add/modify stock Android OS to their taste, adding several goodies or annoying bits like spywares, malwares, ads, trackers and whatnot.

9 Likes

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Edopesin: 9:36am On Aug 25, 2020
Tecno devices are always flagged by incapsula

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Faithful4real(m): 10:34am On Aug 25, 2020
Nbotee:

Read before you comment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by SIONKPO1(m): 10:37am On Aug 25, 2020
Nbotee:

Ripping U of what exactly? Some of U need to take a chill pill and stop getting paranoid.
lol
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Faithful4real(m): 10:38am On Aug 25, 2020
lalasticlala
Take this to front page. It's from a trust site, any android guru will tell you that.

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Fatbabyfart(m): 10:38am On Aug 25, 2020
Yeah
I noticed this malware on my dad's phone.
Tecno w2. A phone he bought just to read news.

It's always downloading one stupid gaming app anytime the data connection is on.

Once you open you data, it immediately opens chrome browser and loads a certain app gallery page.

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by ubev01(m): 11:05am On Aug 25, 2020
Not contented with their overpricing, na to force-subscribe you to a service and download useless apps without your knowledge. Nonsense.

Reading the article, i noticed that transsion's biggest market, "Nigeria" is not even mentioned, why? Nigerian transsion users are not tech savvy, the rest are simply illiterates

4 Likes

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Nbotee(m): 11:22am On Aug 25, 2020
SIONKPO1:

how sensible does it sound to you that #200 will produce #15m,
abeg chop am alone,cause me I no need am

U well so?
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by SIONKPO1(m): 11:54am On Aug 25, 2020
Nbotee:

U well so?
lol
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by womenareapes: 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
Faithful4real:
lalasticlala
Take this to front page. It's from a trust site, any android guru will tell you that.
don't you know there have being brought by Tecno!
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by womenareapes: 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Nbotee:
my brother!
it won't pays you to read and comprehend!

this is a confirm international source
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Sunmolar(m): 5:58pm On Aug 25, 2020
Stop being a victim,create your own phones.

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by NightFood: 8:08am On Aug 27, 2020
na wa o, i havent experienced any of such before on my Camon phone
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by sunshineV(f): 10:54am On Aug 27, 2020
NightFood:
ekuke u even dey use tecno? Na to just market be ur own na

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Realboygenius(m): 5:00pm On Aug 31, 2020
womenareapes:
my brother!
it won't pays you to read and comprehend!

this is a confirm international source

It's a false report.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by tafat: 1:46am On Sep 01, 2020
me too o, i wonder where these false reports are coming from
NightFood:
Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by NightFood: 8:43am On Sep 01, 2020
sunshineV:
ekuke u even dey use tecno? Na to just market be ur own na
yes I'm a proud tecno user grin

1 Like

Re: Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) by Nancy1986: 1:11pm On Sep 01, 2020
Go to app deactivate app that downloads automatically or block it auto internal working simple.. Tecno is still the best cheap android... What do you keep in your phone for China to steal lol

(1) (Reply)

Gionee Max Launched With 5,000 Mah Battery, And Android 10 Going For $80 / Whats Up With 'Celtel Central Station'? / Reverse Cell Phone Lookup Using Google

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.