Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,525 members, 7,823,284 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

**how To Cook Beans Better.**&## - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## (5391 Views)

How To Cook Beans Stew (gbegiri) / Learn How To Cook Beans And Save The Cost Of Kerosene / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

**how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by deltalife(m): 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2011
Please people, how can one cook beans in such a way that it will not born the persons' heart.
Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by chefmerbel: 4:49pm On Mar 02, 2011
Beans does not only cause heart burn; it causes flatulence(meaning very smelly fart and stomach cramps) so i cook my beans as follows;

boil the beans for 2mins; turn off the heat and leave it to soak for 1hour. or better still, boil for 2mins; drain off the water pour in another boiling water and soak for 1hour; drain it and cook in fresh water till done. fry other ingredients like onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper, crayfish adding salt, maggi, garlic and thyme. Then combine it with the cooked beans, mix well and cover so that the flavour will combine well.
my beans is always a favourite. give it a go.
you can add, flaked fish like tuna or mackrel or even shredded chicken, beef anything you like.
sometimes i add only vegetables and its nice and more healthy.
let me know how it goes, happy cooking

1 Like

Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by smarthG(f): 3:22pm On Mar 15, 2011
I think you really understand the food but I don't understand the reason/ rationale for that 1Hour break.

Can some still feed us with some more tips?

1 Like

Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by armyofone(m): 1:21pm On Mar 16, 2011
use onion! 1 cup of bean 1 whole red onion thinly sliced grin
onion will make your bean taste better.
Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by deltalife(m): 11:21am On Mar 24, 2011
What about vegetable?

Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by smarthG(f): 11:37am On Mar 24, 2011
Wow, you got me salivating.
Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by deltalife(m): 4:06pm On May 18, 2011
beans still borns my heart. even after all I have applied the formulars.
Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by MyJoe: 5:28pm On May 18, 2011
chefmerbel:

Beans does not only cause heart burn; it causes flatulence(meaning very smelly fart and stomach cramps) so i cook my beans as follows;

boil the beans for 2mins; turn off the heat and leave it to soak for 1hour. or better still, boil for 2mins; drain off the water pour in another boiling water and soak for 1hour; drain it and cook in fresh water till done. fry other ingredients like onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper, crayfish adding salt, maggi, garlic and thyme. Then combine it with the cooked beans, mix well and cover so that the flavour will combine well.
my beans is always a favourite. give it a go.
you can add, flaked fish like tuna or mackrel or even shredded chicken, beef anything you like.
sometimes i add only vegetables and its nice and more healthy.
let me know how it goes, happy cooking
The procedure you have listed WILL NOT solve the problem of flatulence. Beans belongs to the category of food that get sour; that is, attract bacteria, activity easily. Egusi and okro soups belong to the list. The way to stop yourself gassing when you eat beans is simple really: eat it hot. If you take your beans from the fire, I guarantee you 100% that you will not gas, even if you eat one bucket of it. If you don't like hot food, it becomes a bit difficult but you can still greatly minimise the problem by eating it immediately it gets cool from the fire.

deltalife:

beans still borns my heart. even after all I have applied the formulars.
I assume you are in Nigeria.

1. Try the white beans from up north, the one commonly sold in markets, instead of the brownish type popular among South Westerners.
2. Keep stuff like tomatoes and garlic out of your beans - these only increase the acid content of the stuff which worsens the problem. Onions, too. Yes, onions.
3. Don't eat your beans at night. Eat them in the daytime and remain in an upright position; that is, don't lie down.
4. Don't consume too much beans - if you like to too fill your tommy, reserve it for the rice occasions.
5. If you like to add things to your beans, pick them carefully. Fish is good, for instance, but boil it, don't fry it. Vegetables are fine.

If the problem persists after you have tried the above, you may have to try de-shelling; that is, removing the stuff around the beans before cooking like they do when making moi moi.

Or you may be suffering from some kind of acid reflux.

2 Likes

Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by Poolamy: 6:13am On Aug 27, 2012
Then if after tryn all d above, the problem still persist, i will advice u write off beans from ur list of food. Hmn

1 Like

Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by aleroo(f): 10:44pm On Aug 29, 2012
Pool amy: Then if after tryn all d above, the problem still persist, i will advice u write off beans from ur list of food. Hmn
Nice one
Re: **how To Cook Beans Better.**&## by teddy2011: 10:34pm On Aug 30, 2012
@ Poster, I used to have heart burn anytime I ate beans but I was advised not to eat very hot bean n reduced my intakes. Visit your doctor tell him about it and U can also google it, you may find some useful advice.

(1) (Reply)

Shrimp/prawn Recipes / Slices Of Yam Now Sold In Nigeria As Food Prices Increase (Photos) / How To Cook Continental Dishes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.