Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,567 members, 7,861,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:18 PM

Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND (2503 Views)

Yaba College Of Technology 2023/2024 Part Time Form Both For Nd/hnd And Bsc Is / Your Opinion! Bsc Computer Science Or Bsc Computer Education. / Hnd Or Bsc Is Nothing,skills Matters! Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 28, 2020
Reasons why BSc is better than HND
Below are reasons BSc is better than HND;

1. Quality of Lecturers
The quality and expertise of lecturers in the university cannot just be compared with that of polytechnic.

In the university, most lecturers are professors and PhD holders with several years of teaching experience.

If you don’t have MSc, you are not qualified to teach in the university. And most Masters degree holders are ordinary assistant lecturers.

But in polytechnic, it is difficult to find a lecturer who is a PhD holder, and there is no Professors except visiting professors from the universities.

Most lecturers in polytechnic are mere BSc holders who just graduated from the university. Even Corps members (otondo) are posted to lecture in some polytechnics.

2. Admission Requirement
The requirement for admission into the university is more strict and rigid compare to that of polytechnics.

The JAMB cut off for entrance into universities is high to compare that of Polytechnic.

This means, most intelligent students with high marks make it to the university, while leftovers with extremely low marks resort to polytechnic.

3. Funding From Government
The public universities in Nigeria are much more funded by government than polytechnics. Funding is one of the ways to determine the quality of a school.

Obviously, the government and the media pay more attention to ASUU demand than ASUP. Any time ASUP is on strike, no one will notice. But if ASUU goes on strike, it will be a national talk, and Presidency will be restless.

That is to show you that university is more funded because university graduates are much well trained than polytechnics graduates.

4. Research Work
Universities are the foundation and pillars of researches which is the root of progress in any institution. Although, the quality of research work in the Nigerian universities can be low, but it is still far better than that of polytechnics.

5. Conducive and large campus environment
The size of an institution and infrastructures goes a long way in telling about the quality of such institution. Take UNIZIK as an example, the institution has a very wide space with about seven different Banks branches located within the Institution. Aside that, there are several other institutions which are inside the university and numerous affiliated institutions.

6. Quality of students
There is no doubt that most brilliant students are found in the university.

But in polytechnics, most of what you will see are students rejected by universities because of their low scores in UTME.

Most of polytechnic students specialize in sorting lecturers to pass exams. Just only few polytechnic students are young and smart (no hate).

7. Scholarships Preference
When it comes to scholarship, reputable bodies hardly notice polytechnic students.

Only university undergraduates or graduates would have the opportunity to apply for such scholarships. This is another form of discrimination which we noticed.

8. Job opportunities
Most employers in Nigeria prefer BSc to HND holders. HND holders are most times seen as middle level manpower, although that was the initial purpose for establishing polytechnics.

9. Programme and Degrees
The highest degree a polytechnic can award is HND, but the universities can award BSc, PGD, MSc, PhD, and so on.

Also, polytechnics are not allowed to run some programmes such as; Medicine and Surgery, Radiography, Pharmacy, Nursing Law and many more.

10. Self Esteem
An average BSc holder have more confidence and self-belief than a HND holder. HND holders have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus having a negative impact on their self esteem.

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Niyeal(m): 4:17pm On Aug 28, 2020
Wow
I'm free from banned.
Well, all these comparison does not matter, what matter is what bring money to your pocket.
Check my signature and like the video

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 28, 2020
Niyeal:
Wow
I'm free from banned.
Well, all these comparison does not matter, what matter is what bring money to your pocket.
Check my signature and like the video
This is Nigeria where good qualification is needed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Karleb(m): 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2020
This is Bullshit!

The certificate you have shouldn't matter, you should get paid for the quality and/or quantity of your work.

Sadly, realities in Nigeria is different and disheartening.

If you are jambite reading this, do your best to go to a university to avoid this kind of discrimination and dichotomy.

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 28, 2020
I have HND, I am a WordPress developer, I am good at other languages e.g Python, php, JavaScript, I have indepth knowledge of TKINTER AND DJANGO, OP companies beg me to work for them with reasonable pay. Just look beyond your so degree.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2020
Karleb:
This is Bullshit!

The certificate you have shouldn't matter, you should get paid for the quality and/or quantity of your work.

Sadly, realities in Nigeria is different and disheartening.

If you are jambite reading this, do your best to go to a university to avoid this kind of discrimination and dichotomy.
That's Nigeria for us bro
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 28, 2020
Ya
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 28, 2020
I read from the news that Ilaropoly made a mechanical ventilator. No university in Nigeria contributed as such towards the covid19 pandemic. I am not here to fight which is better, but just to let you know that your comparison is borne out crooked and contentious mentality of an average Nigerian. Polytechnics in Britain where it all originated from have been renamed into universities.
More so, Nigeria did not implement the system how it was effected in UK.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by paulolee(m): 7:23pm On Aug 28, 2020
finish from any of them and still remain jobless...what's the need bro?? BSC (best skills certificate) is the best
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Arrowss(m): 7:30pm On Aug 28, 2020
OP its not called Bsc, it's Degree, and am sure you went to the university, next time, say first degree, undergraduate degree, or say bachelor's degree, or if that's too much for you to say, say degree! Simple! Bsc is Bachelor of Sciences, and its an honour in the university, as we have bachelor of Arts. Very soon you may call Olvl art class, since you call degree Bsc.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 28, 2020
Guy forget this crap. Fine it might difficult to head organisations. I have a guy we were laughing although still Friends with me because he went to PTI. Do you know that this guy with his HND works with Belema Oil to supervise oil drilling he earns 400k a Month even higher than most Bsc Degrees. Guess what he is just 30 and he can snatch your girlfriend grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Honduras01: 7:53pm On Aug 28, 2020
[s]
Obaawonuniversi:

1. Quality of Lecturers
The quality and expertise of lecturers in the university cannot just be compared with that of polytechnic.

In the university, most lecturers are professors and PhD holders with several years of teaching experience.

If you don’t have MSc, you are not qualified to teach in the university. And most Masters degree holders are ordinary assistant lecturers.

But in polytechnic, it is difficult to find a lecturer who is a PhD holder, and there is no Professors except visiting professors from the universities.

Most lecturers in polytechnic are mere BSc holders who just graduated from the university. Even Corps members (otondo) are posted to lecture in some polytechnics.

2. Admission Requirement
The requirement for admission into the university is more strict and rigid compare to that of polytechnics.

The JAMB cut off for entrance into universities is high to compare that of Polytechnic.

This means, most intelligent students with high marks make it to the university, while leftovers with extremely low marks resort to polytechnic.

3. Funding From Government
The public universities in Nigeria are much more funded by government than polytechnics. Funding is one of the ways to determine the quality of a school.

Obviously, the government and the media pay more attention to ASUU demand than ASUP. Any time ASUP is on strike, no one will notice. But if ASUU goes on strike, it will be a national talk, and Presidency will be restless.

That is to show you that university is more funded because university graduates are much well trained than polytechnics graduates.

4. Research Work
Universities are the foundation and pillars of researches which is the root of progress in any institution. Although, the quality of research work in the Nigerian universities can be low, but it is still far better than that of polytechnics.

5. Conducive and large campus environment
The size of an institution and infrastructures goes a long way in telling about the quality of such institution. Take UNIZIK as an example, the institution has a very wide space with about seven different Banks branches located within the Institution. Aside that, there are several other institutions which are inside the university and numerous affiliated institutions.

6. Quality of students
There is no doubt that most brilliant students are found in the university.

But in polytechnics, most of what you will see are students rejected by universities because of their low scores in UTME.

Most of polytechnic students specialize in sorting lecturers to pass exams. Just only few polytechnic students are young and smart (no hate).

7. Scholarships Preference
When it comes to scholarship, reputable bodies hardly notice polytechnic students.

Only university undergraduates or graduates would have the opportunity to apply for such scholarships. This is another form of discrimination which we noticed.

8. Job opportunities
Most employers in Nigeria prefer BSc to HND holders. HND holders are most times seen as middle level manpower, although that was the initial purpose for establishing polytechnics.

9. Programme and Degrees
The highest degree a polytechnic can award is HND, but the universities can award BSc, PGD, MSc, PhD, and so on.

Also, polytechnics are not allowed to run some programmes such as; Medicine and Surgery, Radiography, Pharmacy, Nursing Law and many more.

10. Self Esteem
An average BSc holder have more confidence and self-belief than a HND holder. HND holders have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus having a negative impact on their self esteem.
[/s]

We don't need comparism. It is useless, stop making people feel less about themselves.

Get sense!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Akechukwuka: 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2020
Mr poster 're u aware that polytechics students does more of practical aspect than the so called ur university students...
Let me not go further, whether polytechics or university Nigeria govt doesn't value ur certificate either does any company value it..
Jobs in this country is done by man no man ...ur connection speak voluminous for u nd not ur nonsense credentials

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by umbo: 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2020
All na rubbish ,Sidon there dey compare
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by merieam16(f): 11:43pm On Aug 28, 2020
Lemme laff in swahiligringringrin.. all dez ur comparison no follow at all na who baba God pick him call

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by dododawa1: 12:01am On Aug 29, 2020
see as Nigerians youth carry EDUCATION for head like WYCLEF.
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by dododawa1: 12:03am On Aug 29, 2020
thanks GOD,yabatech now university/Polytechnic �
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by yusman14(m): 12:18am On Aug 29, 2020
supportnija:
I have HND, I am a WordPress developer, I am good at other languages e.g Python, php, JavaScript, I have indepth knowledge of TKINTER AND DJANGO, OP companies beg me to work for them with reasonable pay. Just look beyond your so degree.
Good day sir.. please with sincerity,is python programming language hard/difficult??I mean up to advance level..
How long does it take to master the language and what is your area of specialization using python??
which laptop is the best for python programming language sir??
pls I really need your immediate response sir..
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 3:29am On Aug 29, 2020
yusman14:
Good day sir.. please with sincerity,is python programming language hard/difficult??I mean up to advance level..
How long does it take to master the language and what is your area of specialization using python??
which laptop is the best for python programming language sir??
pls I really need your immediate response sir..
Sorry your response came late,
Python is not hard if you understand other languages, let just compare Python with PHP, Python uses indentation why PHP uses curley brace or bracket.
I use DJANGO and Tkinter both are Python frame work. You can learn data science.
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 5:51am On Aug 29, 2020
Same shit different toilet. Both bsc and hnd in Nigeria leads to zero innovation
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2020
If you want to know how useless HND is just apply to university as lecturer even after your PhD

Before you throw jab, i attended both Polytechnic and university. Though ND and run away to university, it is incomparable incase you care to listen, go back to university for another 3 years as direct entry student and get Bsc or Btech, so as to save yourself from unnecessary stress.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by yusman14(m): 7:13am On Aug 29, 2020
supportnija:

Sorry your response came late,
Python is not hard if you understand other languages, let just compare Python with PHP, Python uses indentation why PHP uses curley brace or bracket.
I use DJANGO and Tkinter both are Python frame work. You can learn data science.
I am new to programming.. should I go into python??
What is data science about? is it useful in Nigeria?
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Amastermovic(m): 8:56am On Aug 29, 2020
U said PhD holder ...I did Civil Engineering and 95% of my lecturer are Phd holder in a polytechnic ..please stop posting thrash from your point of view..

Both are created for different purpose is enough point but one is not superior to each other because a polytechnic student as been taught to address issues logically and realistic reason you need them more on field..

A university student will reason theoretically and provide solution with proof and send this to the polytechnic graduate which in turns take this information and put it to work.

Please don't look down on any degree because now its what you can do and no job out there self for everyone..

Reason u see everyone learning tailoring dragging space with the people we called Artisan years ago to become like them and have steady income and become your own bozz
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Missyajoke(f): 9:13am On Aug 29, 2020
merieam16:
Lemme laff in swahiligringringrin.. all dez ur comparison no follow at all na who baba God pick him call

Don't mind him he thinks he's in the Nigeria of yesterday
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by femi4: 9:20am On Aug 29, 2020
Well said, university degree has always been superior
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 29, 2020
quote author=yusman14 post=93341697]I am new to programming.. should I go into python??
What is data science about? is it useful in Nigeria?[/quote]
Python is very good, Python is one in all, it can be use for both Desktop, mobile, and web development.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 29, 2020
Chapman801:
Guy forget this crap. Fine it might difficult to head organisations. I have a guy we were laughing although still Friends with me because he went to PTI. Do you know that this guy with his HND works with Belema Oil to supervise oil drilling he earns 400k a Month even higher than most Bsc Degrees. Guess what he is just 30 and he can snatch your girlfriend grin

400k.
But will he ever earn 2m?
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by excel222(m): 10:41am On Aug 29, 2020
It is wrong to say polytechnics are practical base only since most of them offers social science courses. A universities workshops or laboratories are more standard than the ones of polytechnics. The way we have some local or substandard labs in universities so they are also in polytechnics. I don't really think a HND engineering graduate does more standard practicals than a B.Eng grad or a hnd marketing graduate study far than a bsc marketing .. They really cant be of the same level.
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by GeoSilYe(f): 11:07am On Aug 29, 2020
Bullshitttt

Grace doesnt check what degree you have, it simply comes upon you.

So if you like get seven PhDs, person with just olevel would be doing better than you because of the grace of God.
Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:11am On Aug 29, 2020
Obaawonuniversi:

1. Quality of Lecturers

In the university, most lecturers are professors and PhD holders with several years of teaching exper
Even though I am a B.Sc holder, I must disagree with you!!!

You have to be diligent, disciplined and hard-working to be able to genuinely make good grades in the Nigerian University with the exception of private universities

It's not because of what you are taught cause most times you have to read up on your own!!!

The truth is that polytechnics are more practical oriented which should be the center of education!!!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Petersamuel8(m): 1:49pm On Aug 29, 2020
Degree or HND it doesn't matter, the most important thing is 'what can their respective graduate offer'? And also not all Polytechnic students are leftover from the universities

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why BSC Is Better Than HND by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 29, 2020
Squillaci:

400k.
But will he ever earn 2m?
No whyn yourself ooo. From level to level this is aside other benefits from accommodation, car, Allowances and Insurance risk and hampers oo. How many Nigerians at 30 have all these things ehn even you wey dey talk no go fit earn an for Nigeria.
Quick Message to you people studying medicine I pity you. If you like look for the excuse that you will travel out, how many of you will.
The highest paying field in Nigeria is Marine Engineering (5yrs course), Computer Engineering, Chartered Accounting, Agronomy and Agriculture, Welding and Metallurgy in oil and gas, Petroleum engineering, aerospace engineering, Petroleum engineering and gas, Chartered Account, Electrical engineering,Geophysics, Petrol chemistry. In the health Field I give to Dentists and Optometrist especially Optometry. When I was in Zaria this guys they pull money ehn die. They even treat normal patients. For Medicine people, I say shame on you guys. I no know why hate medicine people sha because 7yrs for 150k? Tufiaaa. Where I am currently working with my ND I receive 100k paaa pass many undergraduate sef ehn. Get sense oo and stop saying crap ooo, How much be Bsc Degree if I want make person do am for me ehn? You know even know naija.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video: Female Students, Male Lecturer Caught In The Acts / See Reason why the Rich get Richer and Poor remain in Poverty {Pic} / I Need The 2007 Waec Time-table

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.