Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist (2250 Views)

Mad Woman Gives Birth In Ghana Again. Photos / 18 Million Nigerians Are Mentally Ill - Psychiatrist / Doctor In The House: Psychiatrist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Terminator: 12:21am On Feb 21, 2011
Need any advice on psychiatric issues? Drop me a line.
Advice is free, objective and up to date.[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Terminator: 9:34pm On Feb 21, 2011
Do you feel depressed?
Do you have low self confidence or have problems with been assertive?
Do you have problems with alcohol or drug use?
Are your children (below 16yrs) giving you troubles?
Have you got eating disorder
For these and more drop me a line. If you want a private chat drop me a line.
All consultation is free, objective, up to date and strictly confidential
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by sd6: 11:51am On Feb 22, 2011
Having suffered from generalized anxiety disorder and 'depression', i found out that am increasing anxious and scared of havin a job or working cuz am scared i could mess up or have panic attacks at work though its been over a year i last had the experience and over three months i withdrew from imipramine. Ordinarily am ok bt thinking of working, i get anxious. I'd like to hear from u. Thanks
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 23, 2011
^^i'm not sure the op didnt start the topic as a joke. Going by his user id and past posts.

try these threads instead if your question is a genuine one:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-399811.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-244818.0.html
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Terminator: 12:53am On Feb 24, 2011
Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) is common and can be very disabling. It is difficult to know if you have both depression and anxiety disorder or depression only (anxiety can occur a part of depression so if the depression is treated the anxiety will go)
I noticed you said you last had symptoms of panic attack about a yr ago and imipramine (a tricyclic antidepressant) a few months ago.
It would have been helpful if i knew which country you are residing as this will determine what treatment are accessible.
It will have been helpful to know the aetiology (cause) of the depression and GAD.

Treatment is usually on 3 basis;

-Medication: usually antidepressants (many types, SSRI's are good and has more tolerable side effects than the older antidepressants)
can help to relieve anxiety as well as the depression for which they are usually prescribed. They usually take 2 to 4 weeks to work and have to be taken regularly to work properly. One of the newer SSRI antidepressants would usually be tried first – if that is not helpful, one of the older tricyclic antidepressants can be tried, or a newer antidepressant called Venlafaxine.

Beta-blockers are drugs usually used to treat high blood pressure. In low doses, they can sometimes control the physical shaking of anxiety. They can be taken shortly before meeting people or before speaking in public, or having to perform.

Valium can help on the short term to relieve the acute symptoms of anxiety but they are addictive and should not be used for more that 2 weeks and should be prescribed by a professional

- Psychological therapy: Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is the best treatment and will teach you coping mechanisms and challenge those unhelpful thoughts that are usually the problem. The effect will last longer and can be used in future. You can be thought relaxation techniques too like controlling your breathing and relaxing your muscles.
Another helpful idea is mindfulness - a way of seeing unhelpful worries as 'just' thoughts. This means that, instead of being tormented by worries, you can learn to accept them and 'let go'.
If you dont have access to a psycholigist, there are online CBT that are accessible.

-Social treatment: Looking at issues in your life that are causing you problem (stressors) and addressing them.

I am sorry I am writing alot
Talking to people who you trust and can confide in can help.
Above all pls see your psychiatrist, the above is just a brief information and should not take the place of a psychiatrist or your gp (if applicable) and should not be taken as without faults. The author of this write up is not advising you to use any of the above information for yourself, if you do so you take full responsibility for your actions
Hope this helps?
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by sd6: 7:34am On Feb 24, 2011
Ofcourse it does help to know u care. Am in Nigeria and i have been seeing a psychiatrist. Those physical symptoms are no longer a problem. Just the fear that if i got to work i would experience a relapse. Could you please enlighten me on depersonalization disorder? Thanks again, for your concern.
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Terminator: 11:22pm On Feb 25, 2011
Thank you for your kind words.
Depersonalisation is a psychiatric disorder in which the suferer cant not feel himself eg can not feel emotions (sadness or happiness). Simply put the person feels numb. Depersonalisation is an uncomfortable and, for some, a frightening feeling in which people feel unreal and detached from their surroundings. It's related to derealisation

Derealisation An uncomfortable and, for some, a frightening feeling in which people feel that things around them are unreal.

It is a very difficult disorder to treat and till date no treatment has been demostrated to be effective.
CBT and antidepresants has been tried but no evidence exist that this works.

Going back to your earlier enqury, I can understand that it will be difficult going back to work but I am not quite sure what difficulties specifically you are experiencing and a brief explanation will help. This will be more so if you have been out of work for a long time. It is good to know that you no longer have the physical symptoms of GAD. But the recovery process is more than just the physical symptoms going away, it includes getting your old self back again. This can take a while and you will have to be patient as alot of people may not believe the impact of your illness on your life and may question if you are telling the truth or giving excuses or been lazy. These does not help and can make things worse.

I am not familiar with the psychiatric practice in Nigeria and what treatment is available.
Psychological treatmet (CBT) would be very helpful at this stage and I do not know of this is available in Nigeria. But you can get books which can help and are CBT based, I am not sure if these are available in Nigeria. But if you have some one in UK they can easily purchase it and send it to you and they can help.
Going back to work will have to be gradual and in small stages when you are ready. It is not going to be easy but you may have to push yourself abit but will need support while doing this from your psychiatrist.
The more you stay away from work the more difficult it may become for you to return, but beaware that rushing back maybe counter productive.

I wish you well.
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by sd6: 7:57am On Feb 26, 2011
Again you have spoken very well especially acknowledging that people may not understand its impact on one's health. Even family members expect me to have perfectly recuperated. The challenge is that i envisage that if i sat in the office and am given responsibilities, i'd be tensed up with being skeptical as to my ability to deliver. Bt getting back myself is the real issue cuz while i cud stay anywhere relaxed(nt working), i seem to panic when staying the same place to work like in an office. I kinda like open places. But am wont to believe that its a gradual process where recuperation is stage by stage. I may have to see the psychiatrist about CBT. Depersonalization was part of the symptoms and has taken longer time to subside. Again, am very appreciative of your insightful contributions and submissions.
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Terminator: 9:10pm On Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for ypur kind words and been appreciative of my advise. But I like to thank you too for giving me the opportunity to help.
Do you mind if I ask if the start of your illness was work related?
personal reasoI would have loved to help you with some CBT sessions especially if you had Skype, but this will be very difficult for me due to my very busy schedule and other personal reasons. Do keep me updated if you are able to get CBT from your psychiatrist.
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by sd6: 9:35am On Mar 01, 2011
thanks again
This started during my NYSC. I had issues with a lot of people and the environment was prone to violence. i continuously was anxious of being violently engaged. i had these angry and indignant feelings piled up in me. Again the environment was not conducive as the weather was a far cry from where i had stayed all my life. it was also secluded and lacked the vivacity of my previous exposure. Suddenly i felt ill with breathing problems and gastro-intestinal problems. This led to series of hospital visits making me to WORRY CEASELESSLY about health complications. such worry i believe led me thinking i was having serious health complications until i was diagnosed with GAD. i'll be happy to hear what you think.
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 18, 2012
@Terminator , I need to know Why Is it dat Anytime Am anxious ,Angry, About someone or anything Immidiately i do have Gastric problem,even most times drugs hardly help.The only solution is to avoid been angry which is not possible..?
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2012
how on Earth did i end up here
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Terminator: 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
Need help with emotional, psychological or psychiatric issue drop me a line. Or if you know anyone that does tell them to contact me on this site. Cheers
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 24, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
how on Earth did i end up here
grin
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by tpia5: 10:44pm On Mar 11, 2013
onila could have saved herself a lot of money by simply utilizing this free offer.
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 12, 2013
tpia@:
onila could have saved herself a lot of money by simply utilizing this free offer.
. My sister na u need am pass tongue
tpia@:
. My sister na u need am pass
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by beeyee18: 10:57pm On Aug 31, 2013
pls doc can i get ur email ? need some advice
Re: You Dont Have To Be Mad To See A Psychiatrist by beeyee18: 11:20pm On Aug 31, 2013
my email is beeyee18@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Acne And Pimples - To Cure Or Not To Cure - There Is A Choice / Hair Growth / How To Take Care Of Your Armpit (underarm)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.