Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Naira Is Not Over-valued, Nigerian Central Bank Governor Informs IMF - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Is Not Over-valued, Nigerian Central Bank Governor Informs IMF (814 Views)

Ignore Messages Requesting For BVN – CBN Informs The Public / *****world Currencies The Naira Is Bigger Than***** / Nigerian Central Bank Bars Loans To Big Debtors Post-crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Naira Is Not Over-valued, Nigerian Central Bank Governor Informs IMF by 234Ent(m): 2:22pm On Feb 21, 2011
InformAfrica News - Nigeria

Nigerian Central Bank Governor Lamido Sanusi said this Monday he did not believe that the naira was over-valued and criticised advice from the IMF, which last week recommended greater exchange rate flexibility.
[center][/center]
“We do not believe that Naira is over-valued. We do not believe that at a time when the oil price is going up and output is going up we should be losing the value of our currency,” Sanusi told CNBC Africa television.

“We also do not think that it makes sense, if the IMF is concerned about inflation, to ask a country that is import dependent to devalue its currency. So the advice given by the IMF, frankly, is not based on sound economic logic.”

The IMF issued a statement last Thursday after its latest round of consultations with Nigeria, in which it noted foreign reserves had been falling and speculation against Naira could “become intense” if the depletion continued.

Sanusi said the International Monetary Fund had gone ahead and published the advice without giving Nigeria’s position.

He said he agreed with the IMF’s assessment that further monetary tightening may be required if inflationary pressures continue, but said it was “naive” to believe that monetary policy alone could rein in rising prices.

He noted that expansion in credit to the private sector remained weak despite an accommodative monetary policy.

“The link between monetary policy and inflation is at best tenuous, it is theoretical. The reality is that the bulk of inflation is being pushed by structural forces,” Sanusi said.

“So we do agree that we should tighten, but we think the IMF is a bit naive in its over-estimation of the potency of monetary variables in the short term,” he said.

Culled from: http://www.informafrica.com/business-africa/naira-is-not-over-valued-nigerian-central-bank-governor-informs-imf/

I was startled when I heard IMF's statement about Naira being over-valued last week, I couldn't believe anyone would actually say that not to even mention IMF. Sanusi pretty much hit the nail in the head with his response regarding the value of Naira, and condeming IMF's remarks.

Does anyone here think Naira is over valued?
Re: Naira Is Not Over-valued, Nigerian Central Bank Governor Informs IMF by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
They want cheap oil,this whitee people go kill africans.

(1) (Reply)

Free E-book / Business Expansion Concepts For You. From Success Systems / I Am A Travel Agent. I Need A Business Partner In Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.