Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Php Haters Beat This - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Php Haters Beat This (1761 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Php Haters Beat This by mikkytrio(m): 2:01am On Feb 22, 2011
It is very important to bear in mind that performance and running speed of the web scripting engine must be given TOP PRIORITY. That is, how many pages per second the scripting engine can pump out to the browser clients. The greater the number of pages pumped out to clients in a given period of time, then the better and more powerful the scripting engine is.

The Zdnet did a evaluation and benchmarking of 4 web scripting languages. During benchmarking, the same spec and identical cpu, memory boxes were used. Under identical conditions, it was found that PHP was the fastest - about 3.7 times faster than JSP and about 1.2 times faster than ASP. Read the report at eWeek and mirror-site The benchmark results are -

* PHP pumped out about 47 pages/second
* Microsoft ASP pumped out about 43 pages/second
* Allaire ColdFusion pumped out about 29 pages/second
* Sun Java JSP pumped out about 13 pages/second

See also PHP, ASP benchmarks at http://24.221.230.253/php-perl-benchmarks.html

Whenever you design a web site, give attention to these important points:

* Speed of web scripting engine - how many pages per second it can pump out.

* KISS policy (Keep It Simple Stupid!!) - your web page should be very simple without any fancy graphics (because web users do not want to wait for long time and they want the information very fast). And information they read is just plain text!!

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PHP-HOWTO.html#s22
Re: Php Haters Beat This by Nobody: 1:30am On Feb 24, 2011
they all have their strengths and weaknesses dude!
Re: Php Haters Beat This by talk2hb1(m): 7:01am On Feb 24, 2011
True talk they all have their strength and weakness. though a PHP Programmer I just discovered a bug in the language and am reporting it to ZEND
CTRL+S
Re: Php Haters Beat This by instinctg(m): 9:27am On Feb 24, 2011
Point of correction, its Adobe coldFusion not Allaire ColdFusion. Looks like its an outdated documentation.
On the other hand, the speed and efficiency of a language is not limited to its engine, but it boils down to the skill set of the programmer.poor database design,
poor sql query , poor caching mechanism , heavy graphics, etc can always bring the fastest servers crashing down on its knees !
Re: Php Haters Beat This by dazz4me: 10:30am On Feb 25, 2011
A php 5.3 book pointed out that one of the advantages of asp.net over php is that asp.net process a request faster than php engine because asp.net C# or Vb.net is a compiled language and load faster after the first compilation but a php engine will always process every script for every request. Php has its own advantages and disadvantages as any other language
Re: Php Haters Beat This by netghost: 12:35pm On Feb 26, 2011
LOL
yeah right, ask any professional website designer that has worked with both languages, let them be the judge
PHP, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Php Haters Beat This by Beaf: 7:00pm On Feb 26, 2011
This is a hilarious thread!
Imagine comparing all sorts of dead and buried languages to see which has the better ghaost! lol

* PHP pumped out about 47 pages/second = DEAD
* Microsoft ASP pumped out about 43 pages/second = DEAD
* Allaire ColdFusion pumped out about 29 pages/second = DEAD
* Sun Java JSP pumped out about 13 pages/second = DEAD

The comparison should be between ASP.NET, Ruby etc, not the super-dead dogs above. lol grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Php Haters Beat This by kheme(m): 6:20pm On Mar 23, 2011
This is a hilarious thread!
Imagine comparing all sorts of dead and buried languages to see which has the better ghaost! lol

* PHP pumped out about 47 pages/second = DEAD
* Microsoft ASP pumped out about 43 pages/second = DEAD
* Allaire ColdFusion pumped out about 29 pages/second = DEAD
* Sun Java JSP pumped out about 13 pages/second = DEAD

The comparison should be between ASP.NET, Ruby etc, not the super-dead dogs above. lol
dude, seriously?!?! i can't stop laughing!

LOL
yeah right, ask any professional website designer that has worked with both languages, let them be the judge
PHP,
I started programming with ASP initially, then i was introduced to PHP and believe me you, i learned the shit in ONE DAY (i was good in javascript already). Since then, i dropped abandoned ASP, i dropped it like it was damn hot! PHP is so freaking flexible, damn! these days, when i see ASP codes, it gives me this feeling like i'm in a stray jacket AND under water AND inside and undersized coffin , no freedom at all! with PHP, i feel like a bird, i feel free, i feel like i can fly, do whatever i want smiley

mehn seriously, PHP is the Jesus Christ of web programming languages grin but you know, even Jesus had his enemies. They tried to kill him, didn't they? lol wink
Re: Php Haters Beat This by IG: 9:14pm On Mar 23, 2011
Despite .NET being my first option in most software projects, I think ASP.NET just cannot compete with PHP. How do you expect me to compile a web project each time I run it in the development process? Beside, it's almost impossible to host ASP/ASP.NET on Linux servers. So going for ASP.NET to me is like buying a superb car that cannot be driven on highways.
Re: Php Haters Beat This by Nobody: 7:04am On Mar 24, 2011
Actually Mono can.
Re: Php Haters Beat This by IG: 10:51am On Mar 24, 2011
pc guru:

Actually Mono can.
Yeah you are right, but how many shared hosting providers will give you Mono? Besides most ASP/ASP.NET advocates are people stuck on MS technologies and will hardly bother to go through the trouble of configuring mod_mono on apache.
Re: Php Haters Beat This by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 01, 2011
we developers really need to grow up.
whatever language you use, it all boils down to how you do it.

i can go learn spanish, and u can learn french. it's personal preference

FYI, i hate asp and asp.net and i love php.
that wont stop me from learning from an ASP developer.

(1) (Reply)

J2me Developers In The House / Looking For An Intern - Front-end Developer- To Work With A Startup In Ibadan / Can Someone Suggest Cool Url Web Address For My New Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.