Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,087 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona (41706 Views)

Messi Confirms PSG Transfer Is “A Possibility” As He Says Goodbye To Barcelona / Lionel Messi Confirms The Birth Of His Third Son, Ciro / Messi's Decision To Stay At Barcelona Ensures He'll Never Be The Greatest Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 1:16pm On Sep 04, 2020
'It was a brutal drama... now I am going to continue in the club': Lionel Messi confirms he will begrudgingly STAY at Barcelona for now with superstar finally giving up on his fight for move to Manchester City in stunning U-turn

The superstar's bombshell U-turn was officially announced on Friday evening, although Messi has once again doubled down on his criticism of the board and suggested his desire to avoid a legal battle forced his hand.

The 33-year-old club captain announced he is finally abandoning attempts at a move to Manchester City this summer in a recorded interview despite having initially demanded to leave.

Lionel Messi has confirmed he will remain at Barcelona due to his desire to avoid a legal battle

Jorge Messi had refuted claims from Barca that his son has a €700m release clause in his deal

He also slammed LaLiga for getting involved in the saga and insisting a fee must be paid

Messi told Goal in an explosive admission: 'I wasn't happy and I wanted to leave. I have not been allowed this in any way and I will stay at the club so as not to get into a legal dispute. The management of the club led by (Josep) Bartomeu is a disaster.

'When I communicated my wish to leave to my wife and children, it was a brutal drama.

'The whole family began crying, my children did not want to leave Barcelona, nor did they want to change schools.

'But I looked further afield and I want to compete at the highest level, win titles, compete in the Champions League. You can win or lose in it, because it is very difficult, but you have to compete.

'At least compete for it and let us not fall apart in Rome, Liverpool, Lisbon. All that led me to think about that decision that I wanted to carry out.'

Messi told the club he wanted to leave last month after growing tired of the club's leadership.

He had appeared to be willing to fight on when his father issued a statement reiterating his claim that he does not have a €700m release clause.

Messi's father Jorge issued the statement on Friday that appears to quote directly from his contract stating: 'The release clause will not apply when the unilateral resolution of the contract comes into effect after the end of the 2019-20 season.'

The statement also slammed La Liga for wading in on the debate last week and claiming Barcelona were right to demand €700m from anyone who wanted to sign Barcelona's captain.

'We don't know what contract they have analysed,' it said. Also condemning their 'obvious lack of impartiality' in the matter.

But the statement from Messi's father appears to have been the last shot fired before the white flag was raised.

Not having a release clause could have drastically changed things for Manchester City if the Barcelona captain had been prepared to rip up his contract and let a tribunal decide his transfer fee.

But La Liga responded immediately reiterating their position and accusing the Messi statement of having taken the clause quoted from his contract out of context.

La Liga put its weight behind Barcelona's claim Messi was under contract for one more year and with a €700m buy-out clause, with a statement issued August 30.

The statement said: 'The contract is currently in force and has a release clause applicable in the event that Messi decides to unilaterally terminate it.'

La Liga's statement also threatened to block his move away although that would be beyond its juristition if Messi moved from Spain to England.

Source

4 Likes

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by ojaysam25(m): 1:20pm On Sep 04, 2020
grin.....cowardssi

87 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by oluDharay(m): 1:27pm On Sep 04, 2020
Barca fans can finally relax their mind

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 1:31pm On Sep 04, 2020
ghettokid1 paulolee emeijeh powerfulguy vickyrotex angelfrost fuckingmallam45 ebukahades10 buharinawah gbest90
He will remain there o, and leave after another trophyless....Bavarians are wicked grin

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by daddytime(m): 1:32pm On Sep 04, 2020
Mtcheeew

It is common sense for him to honor his existing contract, see out this season, enjoy his almost £100m earnings, help them to relegation if that's where the board will be happy to go, then take a stroll with no bad blood next season to retain and maintain his legendary status with the club.

Very easy matter wey dem no need think twice.

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 1:37pm On Sep 04, 2020
nice one coming from him, he is jus trying to act professional even if we all knows dt city is were his mind his..
he would stay the last season and give barca fans a nice farewell and easily walk out to city after the season ends..
barca mayb the biggest losers because i dnt see them convincing messi to pen a new deal and barca should av cash in on messi now dt its early as Perez did with cr7..
dnt see any need keeping a man dt dnt want to stay when u promised to make him happy..

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 1:39pm On Sep 04, 2020
fergie001:

He will remain there o, and leave after another trophyless....Bavarians are wicked grin
lolz he is staying jus for a year bcoz of that high fee barca are saying city sbould pay...i see him signing a pre contract during next season to join city so d barca would be ready when he leaves...

1 Like

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by Maxymilliano(m): 1:40pm On Sep 04, 2020
So the transfer request he handed in and the hoopla that surrounded is intended exit from Barca was initial gra gra

6 Likes

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 1:44pm On Sep 04, 2020
Maxymilliano:
So the transfer request he handed in and the hoopla that surrounded is intended exit from Barca was initial gra gra
am tired of all thia funny comments, messi wants to leave and he though barca would agree a cut price with city and allow him go rather than losing him for free next season because both parties knows that he wont sing any extension but barca aint ready to let him go and prefar to lose him for free after this season..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 1:44pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

lolz he is staying jus for a year bcoz of that high fee barca are saying city sbould pay...i see him signing a pre contract during next season to join city so d barca would be ready when he leaves...
Yes and Barca reserves the rights to ask for a high fee because when he signed it...he was smiling to the bank.

Once its January, he is free to talk with clubs.

7 Likes

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 1:46pm On Sep 04, 2020
oluDharay:
Barca fans can finally relax their mind
relax which mind?? isnt it better to cash in on him now that lose him for free next season?? a 200m in the purse can go a long way in getting 2 or 3 players in the market than keeping an unhappy player dt would still end up leaving after jus a season....dts bad business

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 1:49pm On Sep 04, 2020
fergie001:

Yes and Barca reserves the rights to ask for a high fee because when he signed it...he was smiling to the bank.

Once its January, he is free to talk with clubs.
sure, am not taking any sides but my opinion remains that its a bad business for barca because they jus av negotiate wit city and get 200+ for messi wich would get some players in the market to help the new koeman project dt keeping an uhappy player and hoping dt he would sign an extension, messi mind is already made up bt he is just stucked in dt huge clause bt its a matter of time and he would walk out for free and barca would be the main losers..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 1:52pm On Sep 04, 2020
daddytime:
Mtcheeew

It is common sense for him to honor his existing contract, see out this season, enjoy his almost £100m earnings, help them to relegation if that's where the board will be happy to go, then take a stroll with no bad blood next season to retain and maintain his legendary status with the club.

Very easy matter wey dem no need think twice.
sure, thats the plan since the board are thinking politics rather than football, batomeu had failed and dnt want to be tagged the worst president eva wen leaving nxt year because messi leaving during his tenure would be a big slap on his face and dts the main reason why he went all length to keep messi forgetting dt messi isnt happy and he would walk for free nxt season n dts too bad from the football n business aspects..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 1:52pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

relax which mind?? isnt it better to cash in on him now that lose him for free next season?? a 200m in the purse can go a long way in getting 2 or 3 players in the market than keeping an unhappy player dt would still end up leaving after jus a season....dts bad business
Messi, I think, made it bad business. I am not comparing but when Ronaldo wanted to leave Madrid, we never heard of a transfer request or the rest...they went into the room and spoke and announced it.

Zidane, Beckham...so many players did same without a fuss. I think he tried to armtwist the club by attempting to walk away from the contract, so the club had to Berahino him.

Even Bartomeu's biggest critic, Laporta, stood with him on this.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 1:54pm On Sep 04, 2020
fergie001:

Messi, I think, made it bad business. I am not comparing but when Ronaldo wanted to leave Madrid, we never heard of a transfer request or the rest...they went into the room and spoke and announced it.

Zidane, Beckham...so many players did same without a fuss. I think he tried to armtwist the club by attempting to walk away from the contract, so the club had to Berahino him.

noooo man...u getting it wrong, cr7 was promised a contracr extension and increased pay but after winning dt last UCL with real, Perez betrayed him and asked him to wait till after the next season because age wasn't on the side of cr7 forgetting dt bale, neyma and messi jus had improved deals from madrid n barca wich improved thier earnings and it was this same point dt juve called with dt lucrative deal, cr7 talked to perez to discuss with juve bcoz his clause was 1billion pounds and perez cash in and reduced the fee for juve o sign him, he moved to juve and even accepted a paycut from juve wich means dt he earned.more in Madrid dan in juve but juve gave him 4yr deal with option of renewal unlike madrid dt are discussion short term plans..

29 Likes

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by punisha: 1:56pm On Sep 04, 2020
E consign u...
I am already a man city fan.
Will be waiting for u to come and join us when u are done.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 1:56pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

noooo man...u getting it wrong, cr7 was promised a contracr extension and increased pay but
He had a release clause of about a billion. Something happened and he went for hundred....What happened?
Why did what happen not happen now!?

Both are @ faults....don't exclude Messi.

1 Like

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by Angelfrost(m): 1:58pm On Sep 04, 2020
fergie001:

Is this news truly confirmed??! My trusty goal.com never post last time I checked, abi na my browser??!

Well, if true, then I can't say I am surprised... It was always going to be difficult to leave that place, and start afresh... Old dogs don't learn new tricks.

Good luck to both player and club! They are a match made by the gods!!! I hope Koeman gets him to fit fully into his philosophy!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 1:59pm On Sep 04, 2020
Angelfrost:

Is this news truly confirmed??! My trusty goal.com never post last time I checked, abi na my browser??!

Well, if true, then I can't say I am surprised... It was always going to be difficult to leave that place, and start afresh... Old dogs don't learn new tricks.

Good luck to both player and club! They are a match made by the gods!!! I hope Koeman gets him to fit fully into his philosophy!
Well, the distraction from the 2-8 was well-orchestrated by those Barca peeps.

He will be making an official statement today....the recording leaked.

3 Likes

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by oluDharay(m): 2:01pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

But Barca board doesn't even know how to spend on players, the money made on Neymar was wasted on Dembele+ Countiho + Antonie, yet no good result

2 Likes

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by Angelfrost(m): 2:01pm On Sep 04, 2020
fergie001:

Well, the distraction from the 2-8 was well-orchestrated by those Barca peeps.

He will be making an official statement today....the recording leaked.

Oh Well... Man City and EPL fans will have to wait till next year to try their luck again!!!

By then, he would really and truly be a shadow of his prime self. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2020
fergie001:

He had a release clause of about a billion. Something happened and he went for hundred....What happened?
Why did what happen not happen now!?

Both are @ faults....don't exclude Messi.
the difference ia dt Perez was at fault for betrayin him by refusing to gv him dt new improved deal and also willing to sell to the next bidder bt messi case is dt the board and squad kept on failing him and lacked the will to compete, messi got bored and needea a better ending of his career with trophies which barca aint showing signs of and most importantly THE BOARD DNT WANT TO SELL unike cr7 case..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 2:06pm On Sep 04, 2020
Angelfrost:

Oh Well... Man City and EPL fans will have to wait till next year to try their luck again!!!

Which is good news to OUR club....Leeds United. grin grin grin

They are catching cruise with this transfer....his father just released a statement that the 700m euros isn't valid and they are ready to take up the legal option.............ngwanu!

1 Like

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 2:06pm On Sep 04, 2020
Angelfrost:

same old story, shadown of his prime dt is still better than nearly all players in ur team, he passed his prime bt still currently the best playmaker alive...messi is too good dt even his worst is too high for other players to raeach jus like the case of his goals n assist in la liga last season dt was his worst season...when he decides to walk for free even ur club go join the que..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

the difference ia dt Perez was at fault for betrayin him by refusing to gv him dt new improved deal and also willing to sell to the next bidder bt messi case is dt the board and squad kept on failing him and lacked the will to compete, messi got bored and needed a better ending of his career with trophies which barca aint showing signs of and most importantly THE BOARD DNT WANT TO SELL unike cr7 case..
Ok, Maybe.....one or both sides will get bruised for sure.
Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

same old story, shadown of his prime dt is still better than nearly all players in ur team, he passed his prime bt still currently the best playmaker alive...messi is too good dt even his worst is too high for other players to raeach jus like the case of his goals n assist in la liga last season dt was his worst season...when he decides to walk for free even ur club go join the que..
Do pim again....make I call Bayern.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by Angelfrost(m): 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

ERM... Egbon, no arguments there! He is far better than Ayling, Bamford, Hernandez, Phillips, etc...

I never said he was less than my team na!!! That's why we will queue up with other top clubs to lure him to come inspire the boys next season.

Come fergie001, come and explain to your boy o!!! I don't have strength!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2020
oluDharay:

But Barca board doesn't even know how to spend on players, the money made on Neymar was wasted on Dembele+ Countiho + Antonie, yet no good result
yes, we all know that but koeman is in charge and he may be different, its better to cash in on him and let him leave happily like Perez did with cr7 than see him walking out for free after just a season

3 Likes

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by paulolee(m): 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2020
Angelfrost:

ERM... Egbon, no arguments there! He is far better than Ayling, Bamford, Hernandez, Phillips, etc...

I never said he was less than my team na!!! That's why we will queue up with other top clubs to lure him to come inspire the boys next season.

Come fergie001, come and explain to your boy o!!! I don't have strength!!! grin
lolz...name ur team ans u are calling confused fergie dt is united today and Bavarian tomorrow....is there any player in man.u and bayern that you can mistakenly put in the same sentence with lionel messi?? dts disrespect na..

1 Like

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by Ifybwoy7: 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2020
Abegi. let us hear word with this messi saga joor
same thing he normally does in National team that's what he his still doing in club side. blackmailing people anyhow, later now you will hear massi extends contract with barca to receive 1 billion annually

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Confirms Stay At Barcelona by fergie001: 2:20pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

lolz...name ur team ans u are calling confused fergie dt is united today and Bavarian tomorrow....is there any player in man.u and bayern that you can mistakenly put in the same sentence with lionel messi?? dts disrespect na..
You know my team....everyone does.

You know it isn't a lie. Messi will not be as efficient as expected because he is human. Same is happening to CR7 because age tells in football.

In Summary, I believe the distraction is deliberate but we would still not forget grin

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Afcon 2021: Nigeria Squad Numbers Revealed / Alexis Sanchez Signs For Manchester United / PHOTOS: Alex Iwobi Becomes LG Electronics' Brand Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.