Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This (15656 Views)

Diary Of An Aspiring Software/web Developer / Nigerian Game Company Pays It's Top Players / 10 Concept Every Software Developers Should Know Before 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Cassim33(m): 12:25pm On Sep 07, 2020
my dream before is to build a game like GTA and DLs, but when i read about Rockstar Games and their crews which are more the civil servant of my local government than i give up ���

3 Likes

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by OneKinGuy(m): 12:27pm On Sep 07, 2020
Good points.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by AreaFada2: 12:28pm On Sep 07, 2020
WriterX:
I have a lot of cool concepts for educational games abeg halla me let's talk i do designs so we can work

Cool
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Swipa: 12:30pm On Sep 07, 2020
I learnt from this. Thank you.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by GreenDee(f): 12:31pm On Sep 07, 2020
Computer science a very lucrative course, I have no regrets studying it grin.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 07, 2020
Power failure.. Imagine trying to bring those ideas to reality then halfway through... boom!!! Everywhere black cry
Its not an easy road

1 Like

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by LikeAking: 12:38pm On Sep 07, 2020
Game dev is surly lucrative.

The thing na to blow.

Op you are right.

1 Like

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by walexy1(m): 12:39pm On Sep 07, 2020
This is nice! I am into games and I have written some games in the past and presently writing others. Its not easy when your game is not recognized, but that being said, it also depends on the type of games you are building.

I will release a new game very soon and hope people would love it. By the way, I write in Kivy, Pygame and recently phaser.

I love writing codes and games especially though lack of electricity and trying to figure out certain bugs can take you time, but it's still very nice!!!

2 Likes

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Ugaboy: 12:44pm On Sep 07, 2020
You can get most this programming languages with me, check my signature
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by SoftBillionaire: 12:49pm On Sep 07, 2020
Talk24:
Oh please don't tell me that game development is not "lucrative". In fact at a time like this, the game development platform is one of the most profitable, because most of your potential players around the world are just sitting at home doing nothing (due to COVID-19). In the early days of the Appstore and Playstore, It was very easy for your app to go viral, even if it is a paid app. But now, as newer monetisation models are introduced, selling your game has proven to be a difficult nut to crack. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Nigerians with jaw-dropping ideas for games, but just don't know how to execute them. Today, We will be taking a look at the top 4 reasons why there aren't many game programmers in Nigeria, and why most Nigerian Game Devs give up after publishing their first game to the Playstore/Appstore.

1. Lack of Marketing Skills/Strategy
A lot of game programmers think that the moment they publish their game to the Appstore, then they will become a millionaire. We all know that is not true, in fact let me break it to you, you probably are not going to make a million dollars from your first game, but that should not let you down. You need to think of a marketing strategy to let people know about your game. In order to make a killer game, you have to sit down and watch your opponents in the platform. For example, if you are working on a first-person shooter, then study other FPS games out there on the Appstore/Playstore are try to figure out their weaknesses. Remember the game flappy bird? Yeah that game was hugely popular around 2014, at a point the developer was making about $50,000 from the game each day. When Flappy Bird was released, it was given a low rating, A lot of people complained that it was rigged and too hard. But things changed after the popular YouTuber, PewDiePie reviewed the game and complained about how difficult the game was. But believe it or not, that made Flappy Bird popular. Flappy Bird introduced the world to a whole new genre of games, Hypercasual games. Flappy bird was not popular because, It had the best graphics, in fact, the pixelated art in the game was a turn-off for most people initially. Flappy Bird grew in popularity, because a popular YouTuber reviewed the game. In order to make all the effort you put in your game seem worthwhile, you need to figure out how to market it. If you got the budget, then advertise your game on Instagram (not Facebook , because no one really uses Facebook these days). You can advertise with Google and other and networks, get social.media influencers to begin to talk about your game. Advertising is not enough to boost the number of downloads for your game. There are other factors like ASO(App store Optimization) which works like SEO, The ratings your game has, when your game was last updated, etc. Of course if you are low on budget, you can use the $0 Marketing strategy, but that is a topic for another time.

2. Starting too big
Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing about dreaming big. But mehn, Some Nigerians are too ambitious. You can't tell me you just finished learning C#/C++ and now you want to make 3D games like GTA, or Fortnite. These games were developed by huge companies with several professionals on the job, yet it took them several years to bring the game to life. You just finished learning C#? I know you have a lot of dreams but please cut your dream in half and please get your game finished. When you are done, you game might not be up to Appstore's standards but not to worry, you can publish it to popular websites made for indie game Devs like itch.io. If you need ideas for games you can head over to itch.io and join a game jam. Start small and grow big. Don't start with unity game engine, start with smaller game engines like Godot Game Engine, which honestly despite small size (about 30MB), The engine is still able to create better looking 2D/2.5D games than Unity and Unreal
. You can also tryout other less powerful engines like Game maker and Construct. These engines will help shape you and tell you what you are up against. Don't start by trying to make something as labour intensive as a game engine.

3. Lack of electricity
Honestly, as a game developer, a lot of your time will be spent looking at your computer screen trying to fix an annoying bug that is causing your game to crash. The electricity situation in Nigeria is nothing to.write home about, It is gradually improving though, I think a lot more could be done.

4. Being too local
One mistake game developers make is making their game too local. Now don't get me wrong, creating a game based on the African heritage is pretty cool, but you need to think beyond that. Remember that most players don't even speak English. So as you make your game try as much as you can to translate your game to other languages, so that players around the world will be able to enjoy your game without any language barriers. Don't limit the language in your game to English/Pidgin

Please free to add your thoughts too.

Nice Piece

1 Like

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 07, 2020
I am a thinker myself, I have a thought (strategy) that I believe tech guru's can make money from there ideas, wether video games, mobile app, e-commerce e.t.c. This industry is yet to receive it's much desired accolade in Nigeria. Love us to create a WhatsApp group for this purpose
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by LikeAking: 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2020
I think one of the secrets of the white people is:They see every thing has fun,while the others take thing too serious.

I have learnt from this post OP thanks agian.

Na fun full life sure pass.

1 Like

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by vioment: 1:15pm On Sep 07, 2020
This is a good thread
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by vioment: 1:16pm On Sep 07, 2020
This is a good thread.

Naija superhero games.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by JosephXavier: 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2020
F
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by wman(m): 2:06pm On Sep 07, 2020
Good one.

We sell PC Games and deliver all over Nigeria. Over 10 TB of PC games available. 08069557440

https://www.nairaland.com/1035742/garnet-pc-games-sale-cheapest
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Rilley(m): 2:12pm On Sep 07, 2020
Thank you.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by dreality: 2:17pm On Sep 07, 2020
Pls, tell us how you make money by developing a game app
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Sheriman(m): 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2020
The Electricity is the problem here... 90% Nigerians don't enjoy this.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Jqtyfx(m): 2:42pm On Sep 07, 2020
It's definitely a lucrative field.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by candlestick: 2:44pm On Sep 07, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Nice write up
Computer science student and programmers like us say well done ogbeni op
great NACOSS

1 Like

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by DriggityDre: 2:52pm On Sep 07, 2020
Cassim33:
my dream before is to build a game like GTA and DLs, but when i read about Rockstar Games and their crews which are more the civil servant of my local government than i give up ���
Don't give up yet, man. Open-World games are still relevant with untapped potential.

You just gotta be creative af.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 07, 2020
Electricity..

2 Likes

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Elsueno: 4:40pm On Sep 07, 2020
post="am_trying_to_learn_python_just_because_i_find_it_fun." But_its_starting_to_mess_up_my_head_a_bit."

print(post.title()) grin

Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by PlaysNigeria: 6:01pm On Sep 07, 2020
I still need someone to enlighten me more on this dreaming big of a thing. I have real good stuffs I've made. But I keep wanting something more different,
It makes me sick and tired of everything sad
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by vheckthor1: 6:11pm On Sep 07, 2020
Game development is not for the faint hearted
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by ReactGA: 7:15pm On Sep 07, 2020
Collinsanele:

Another and the main reason many people shy away from game dev is because it is freaking difficult. Coding alone is difficult let alone adding maths and physics to it.

Finally, in terms of lucrativeness, web development on average is more profitable than game dev in Nigeria and most countries worldwide.

Boss u really nailed it about web being most lucrative. I'm a game dev so i'm not speculating. Sometimes I wished I had started with web development BT its not too late sha
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by ReactGA: 7:23pm On Sep 07, 2020
Talk24:

2. Starting too big
Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing about dreaming big. But mehn, Some Nigerians are too ambitious. You can't tell me you just finished learning C#/C++ and now you want to make 3D games like GTA, or Fortnite. These games were developed by huge companies with several professionals on the job, yet it took them several years to bring the game to life. You just finished learning C#? I know you have a lot of dreams but please cut your dream in half and please get your game finished. When you are done, you game might not be up to Appstore's standards but not to worry, you can publish it to popular websites made for indie game Devs like itch.io. If you need ideas for games you can head over to itch.io and join a game jam. Start small and grow big. Don't start with unity game engine, start with smaller game engines like Godot Game Engine, which honestly despite small size (about 30MB), The engine is still able to create better looking 2D/2.5D games than Unity and Unreal
. You can also tryout other less powerful engines like Game maker and Construct. These engines will help shape you and tell you what you are up against. Don't start by trying to make something as labour intensive as a game engine.

@ the bolded I'm sure u are a Godot fan boy BT DAT is not true unity's 2D pipeline has been updated to almost as much as the 3d pipeline. Don't get me wrong I Also use Godot And I would have agreed with you if u said u can create 2D games more easily in Godot than in unity and unreal

My advise :don't be a game engine fanboy who knows u it might b from other engines u'll make more money
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by ReactGA: 7:29pm On Sep 07, 2020
DriggityDre:

Don't give up yet, man. Open-World games are still relevant with untapped potential.

You just gotta be creative af.

@ Cassim33
Don't mind him (d quote above). Focus on web development instead. Or else u'll be competing against big companies (that spend millions of dollars on making games) which I'm very sure u cannot keepup.

If u're hell bent on making games, make simple hyper causal games and monitize it with ads.

Read my previous 2 post on the thread with d quote attached

Its simple logic. Everyone is willing to pay for what makes him money in return (i.e people are willing to pay for an e-commere web app because they'll make money from it) but not everyone is willing to pay for entertainment not to mention that entertainment is different for people. Some prefer movies to games while some prefer physical games and still yet out of d few that plays video games, not all of them are willing to pay for it.
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Joemeen(m): 7:37pm On Sep 07, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Nice write up
Computer science student and programmers like us say well done ogbeni op

Baba, your yahoo huzzle no be way that brain can be put into good use, you're smart and I know it
Re: Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This by Elxandre(m): 7:40pm On Sep 07, 2020
LikeAking:
I think one of the secrets of the white people is:They see every thing has fun,while the others take thing too serious.

I have learnt from this post OP thanks agian.

Na fun full life sure pass.
Easy to think about fun when your belly is filled.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? / The Top 25 Global Finalist For NASA Space App: A Nairalander Represents Nigeria / Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.