Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? (1940 Views)

Young Graduates: What's Your Creative Idea That Requires Funding / Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT / Note To Undergraduates: Why You Must Invest In Yourselves Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by paul100(m): 1:58pm On Sep 07, 2020
I am a chemical engineering student and I will like to hear from engineering graduates on things we, students should do and also what we should not do.

Like what steps should we take to be outstanding and successful after school, because life starts for us after graduating.

Your advice will surely help someone there. See us as your brother or sister and advice us so that we will not regret anything in the future.

Front page Pls

3 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Sweetcrude19: 1:04am On Sep 10, 2020
As a chemical engineering student, u are in one of the most lucrative and best course in engineering discipline. As a potential engineer in which u will become in the future, u have to always think outside the box because there are several ways in which u can be self sufficient in terms of job generation and creation. You can engage in different skills through research on the internet on soap production, paint production, fish feed production, poultry feed production, antiseptic production etc.As for me am already at the penultimate stage of feed fish production. If u really want to advance more in depth into the discipline, u can go into computer programing learning such as ChemCAD, Aspen Hysys, Solid works etc. I bet if u have all the software skills at ur disposal, u will be a quintessential gem in the oil and gas industry, u know why?? It's because our oil companies are now integrating their production process using computer programing. I can attest to that when I did my industrial training in WRPC. And also watch more of YouTube videos on petroleum exploration and processing, this will give u a deep insight on how the oil industries operates. And most importantly work hard to have good grades.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Sweetcrude19: 1:10am On Sep 10, 2020
paul100:
I am an chemical engineering student and I will like to hear from engineering graduates on things we,students should do and also what we should not do.Like what steps should we take to be outstanding and successful after school,because life start for us after graduating.
Your advice will surely help someone there.See us as your brother or sister and advice us so that we will not regret anything in the future.
Front page Pls
Lalasticlala
As a chemical engineering student, u are in one of the most lucrative and best course in engineering discipline. As a potential engineer in which u will become in the future, u have to always think outside the box because there are several ways in which u can be self sufficient in terms of job generation and creation. You can engage in different skills through research on the internet on soap production, paint production, fish feed production, poultry feed production, antiseptic production etc.As for me am already at the penultimate stage of feed fish production. If u really want to advance more in depth into the discipline, u can go into computer programing learning such as ChemCAD, Aspen Hysys, Solid works etc. I bet if u have all the software skills at ur disposal, u will be a quintessential gem in the oil and gas industry, u know why?? It's because our oil companies are now integrating their production process using computer programing. I can attest to that when I did my industrial training in WRPC. And also watch more of YouTube videos on petroleum exploration and processing, this will give u a deep insight on how the oil industries operates. And most importantly work hard to have good grades.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by P1PrinceKT(m): 6:08pm On Sep 10, 2020
Learn Entrepreneur and other Skills it will benefit more in this country.

1 Like

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by paul100(m): 6:23pm On Sep 10, 2020
Sweetcrude19:
Thanks for the advice.
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Sweetcrude19: 6:49pm On Sep 10, 2020
paul100:

Thanks for the advice.
Welcome engineer
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Sweetcrude19: 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2020
paul100:

Thanks for the advice.
Pls sorry to ask which uni do u attend I know here is a public place but u can send me email, there are some engineering site I can refer u to. Thanks
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by paul100(m): 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2020
Sweetcrude19:

Pls sorry to ask which uni do u attend I know here is a public place but u can send me email, there are some engineering site I can refer u to. Thanks
University of port harcourt
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Sweetcrude19: 12:41am On Sep 11, 2020
paul100:

University of port harcourt
OK that's a very good school to study chemical engineering. Am having issues sending u email with my browser, u can kindly contact me via 07033268989 on whatapp. Though am in my finals, I can actually link u up with good website where u will see chemical engineering practicals live. And moreover are u a member of society of petroleum engineers (Spe) uniport chapter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by ENGINER(m): 1:34am On Sep 11, 2020
Sweetcrude19:

OK that's a very good school to study chemical engineering. Am having issues sending u email with my browser, u can kindly contact me via 07033268989 on whatapp. Though am in my finals, I can actually link u up with good website where u will see chemical engineering practicals live. And moreover are u a member of society of petroleum engineers (Spe) uniport chapter
good day sir, am also an Chemical Engineering undergraduate, can I chat you on WhatsApp
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Sweetcrude19: 7:30am On Sep 11, 2020
ENGINER:
good day sir, am also an Chemical Engineering undergraduate, can I chat you on WhatsApp
Yes u can just send me a message with ur NL user name
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by ENGINER(m): 3:22am On Sep 12, 2020
Sweetcrude19:
Yes u can just send me a message with ur NL user name
ok thanks
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Sweetcrude19: 6:53am On Sep 12, 2020
ENGINER:
ok thanks
I mean WhatsApp message thanks
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:15am On Sep 12, 2020
Someone said chemical engineering is one of the best courses in the world grin grin. You guys are in for a rude shock when you graduate.
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by JIMMY1393: 7:23pm On Sep 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Someone said chemical engineering is one of the best courses in the world grin grin. You guys are in for a rude shock when you graduate.

I tell you
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Focusmind: 8:09pm On Sep 20, 2020
If You don't have means of leaving this country, you will be disappointed after graduating. First, ensure you graduate with nothing less than 2.1 to be in a better position to source for overseas scholarship. As for employment in Nigeria, graduate employment is a very competitive thing now.
Thousands of graduates of engineering are roaming the streets, searching for jobs. The children of those working in most major oil companies are also looking for job. So, they will have to fix their children first before external candidates the same way top generals and police will first recruits their children and relatives as commissioned officers before other external applicants.

These engineering and other jobs are mostly advertised internally, and vacancies are filled by relatives of staff of the company. Make friends with those in the industry and keep tab of what is happening. Nigeria's situation now is dire. Companies are no more growing to create opportunities for people. Foreign direct investment have gone south and the likelihood of Nigeria's oil and gas sector bouncing back to hire more engineers is very remote.

I counseled people not to be so obsessed about studying sciences and engineering in Nigeria if you don't have means of leaving this country. People that studied liberal arts, management, accounting and social sciences are even more positioned for better jobs than engineers as the Nigeria's economy is not productive and manufacturing based to hire engineers but somehow service oriented which favors those in the social sciences.

Immerse your self in data science, AI, programming, graphics and other technical areas. It is no more about your course of study but about the contact you have built. 80% of vacancies are now filled through referrals, but for you to get that graduate level job, you have to be exceedingly good academically and excel in aptitude test when the opportunity comes. I know a company in PH that conducted aptitude test for 455 graduates and eventually selected just 4.

My brother, graduate opportunities in Nigeria is becoming non existent going by what is happening. I remember in the mid 2000s, we had opportunities of writing many aptitude tests then as the 89 existing banks then were always recruiting graduates. Investment banks, advisory companies and service companies were all recruiting graduates at a level not seen in Nigeria. Nairaland then was a center of intellectual discussion on any upcoming aptitude tests for graduates ,especially between 2005 to 2009. Not now that tribal and ethnic warlords have taken over to heap insults on themselves.

I wish you good luck!

7 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Maj196(m): 9:23pm On Sep 20, 2020
One word. SCAM
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:39pm On Sep 20, 2020
Focusmind:
If You don't have means of leaving this country, you will be disappointed after graduating. First, ensure you graduate with nothing less than 2.1 to be in a better position to source for overseas scholarship. As for employment in Nigeria, graduate employment is a very competitive thing now.
Thousands of graduates of engineering are roaming the streets, searching for jobs. The children of those working in most major oil companies are also looking for job. So, they will have to fix their children first before external candidates the same way top generals and police will first recruits their children and relatives as commissioned officers before other external applicants.

These engineering and other jobs are mostly advertised internally, and vacancies are filled by relatives of staff of the company. Make friends with those in the industry and keep tab of what is happening. Nigeria's situation now is dire. Companies are no more growing to create opportunities for people. Foreign direct investment have gone south and the likelihood of Nigeria's oil and gas sector bouncing back to hire more engineers is very remote.

I counseled people not to be so obsessed about studying sciences and engineering in Nigeria if you don't have means of leaving this country. People that studied liberal arts, management, accounting and social sciences are even more positioned for better jobs than engineers as the Nigeria's economy is not productive and manufacturing based to hire engineers but somehow service oriented which favors those in the social sciences.

Immerse your self in data science, AI, programming, graphics and other technical areas. It is no more about your course of study but about the contact you have built. 80% of vacancies are now filled through referrals, but for you to get that graduate level job, you have to be exceedingly good academically and excel in aptitude test when the opportunity comes. I know a company in PH that conducted aptitude test for 455 graduates and eventually selected just 4.

My brother, graduate opportunities in Nigeria is becoming non existent going by what is happening. I remember in the mid 2000s, we had opportunities of writing many aptitude tests then as the 89 existing banks then were always recruiting graduates. Investment banks, advisory companies and service companies were all recruiting graduates at a level not seen in Nigeria. Nairaland then was a center of intellectual discussion on any upcoming aptitude tests for graduates ,especially between 2005 to 2009. Not now that tribal and ethnic warlords have taken over to heap insults on themselves.

I wish you good luck!
Best comment ever. Honestly computer science and medicine are the only viable degrees now. With a degree in computer science and solid programming skills, you can work for companies abroad from Nigeria. You can further your education, you can freelance. You can create your own tech startup. Honestly the opportunities are immense. Medicine is also very good. I won't advise anyone to study anything outside of these two things. A lot of people will say oh you don't need a computer science degree to learn programming. Yes this Is true but be prepared to self teach yourself computer science fundamentals as they are key to passing programming interviews. You think aptitude tests are hard. Wait until you get two medium leetcoce questions and one hard question to be solved within 30 minutes. A computer science degree takes you through the whole fundamentals of computer science data structures and systems design and it also gives you advanced domain knowledge of things in the subject. The field of computer science is so damn vast aside web development which is the most popular field out there, there's billions of jobs for embedded software engineers, cloud engineers, cybersecurity analyst, software testers, technical support engineers. The list is endless.

Another thing to note is that IT certifications are so damn cheap. Amazon web services certification which is so damn widely respected and in demand everywhere is just 300 dollars. A diligent person can self study and acquire this certificates. It's unlike fields like mechanical engineering and co where a certification can cost upward of 5000 USD with no assurance of any job after.

5 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Focusmind: 10:54pm On Sep 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Best comment ever. Honestly computer science and medicine are the only viable degrees now. With a degree in computer science and solid programming skills, you can work for companies abroad from Nigeria. You can further your education, you can freelance. You can create your own tech startup. Honestly the opportunities are immense. Medicine is also very good. I won't advise anyone to study anything outside of these two things. A lot of people will say oh you don't need a computer science degree to learn programming. Yes this Is true but be prepared to self teach yourself computer science fundamentals as they are key to passing programming interviews. You think aptitude tests are hard. Wait until you get two medium leetcoce questions and one hard question to be solved within 30 minutes. A computer science degree takes you through the whole fundamentals of computer science data structures and systems design and it also gives you advanced domain knowledge of things in the subject. The field of computer science is so damn vast aside web development which is the most popular field out there, there's billions of jobs for embedded software engineers, cloud engineers, cybersecurity analyst, software testers, technical support engineers. The list is endless.

Another thing to note is that IT certifications are so damn cheap. Amazon web services certification which is so damn widely respected and in demand everywhere is just 300 dollars. A diligent person can self study and acquire this certificates. It's unlike fields like mechanical engineering and co where a certification can cost upward of 5000 USD with no assurance of any job after.

You said it well. Computer and IT are the future. Add data science, statistics, maths. Make first-class and source for scholarship abroad. Nigeria is fast becoming a grave yard of dreams.
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:03pm On Sep 20, 2020
Focusmind:

You said it well. Computer and IT are the future. Add data science, statistics, maths. Make first-class and source for scholarship abroad. Nigeria is fast becoming a grave yard of dreams.

Exactly true bros. Even other engineering courses are becoming useless even abroad. On Reddit engineering students a lot of people with degrees in mechanical, chemical and petroleum engineering degrees in the west are finding it extremely difficult to get jobs and these are advanced nations o. I was so shocked when I got to find out. Some people have been unemployed since 2015 and from top schools like Texas A and M and Colorado school of Mines. Most engineering courses are useless in this age of automation.

2 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by paul100(m): 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2020
Focusmind:

I wish you good luck!
Thanks for the advice.
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by paul100(m): 4:41pm On Sep 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Exactly true bros. Even other engineering courses are becoming useless even abroad. On Reddit engineering students a lot of people with degrees in mechanical, chemical and petroleum engineering degrees in the west are finding it extremely difficult to get jobs and these are advanced nations o. I was so shocked when I got to find out. Some people have been unemployed since 2015 and from top schools like Texas A and M and Colorado school of Mines. Most engineering courses are useless in this age of automation.
True talk but you know everyone cannot be into programming or medicine.I don't think those people that graduated in top school like texas A&MM,came out with very good grades.Like how can you get let say first class or a very strong 2:1 in chemical engineering in a top school like that and be unemployed when there are many processing industries not like that of Nigeria where the number of processing companies are not much.
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by Teslason(m): 8:54am On Jan 01, 2022
An eye opening post!
Can we get more inputs...?
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:21pm On Jan 01, 2022
Sweetcrude19:

Bros, you should have waited till you graduate before commenting, so that you would be talking from experience.

As long as Nigeria is concerned, expectations are usually not in line with reality.
Re: Engineering Graduates, What Is Your Advice To Undergraduates? by sommy03(m): 12:06pm On Jan 02, 2022
Learn a skill while in the university...

(1) (Reply)

Research On Leadership Styles And Employee Performance / How To Be An Effective MC In A Wedding Receprion / Marine Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.