Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,384 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? (52041 Views)

See The Bird That Flew Into My House Last Night. Should I Keep It? Please Help / Finally Got A Wild Bird As Pet (Photos) / What Is The Name Of This Bird? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by GogetterMD(m): 2:04pm On Sep 11, 2020
Ugaboy:
Greetings Nairalander, I found this bird at 5a.m, when I was tiding up the compound.

Does anyone know the name to this bird...I will like to help it stay alive or probably make it a pet.

I know it might look very small or to take care of, I don't mind...and I don't see it as a waste of resources, please any idea.
Feed it with live earthworms and let it forage for insects. Try to examine if it has no fractures on its wings. It should be able to heal itself in some weeks
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Drizzy5001(m): 2:17pm On Sep 11, 2020
Gi to your kitchen.
1. Carry knife
2.cut its throat
3.boil water.
4.pill its feathers.
5.use it and make stew grin
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by OdenKelechi(m): 2:25pm On Sep 11, 2020
Feed it insects and milk till it's old enough to fly and go survive on it's own
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by evamena: 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2020
Thats weaver bird,
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by WriterX(m): 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2020
JubrinElSudan:
One of the feet looks distorted

Malnourished probably due to calcium defects
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by mema900: 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2020
justscorchone:

If doctors think like you then we are finished
grin grin
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Naijaarchive(m): 2:50pm On Sep 11, 2020
Very noisy birds... They are cute tho
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by naturefellow(m): 2:52pm On Sep 11, 2020
Looks like hatchling of a village weaver
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 11, 2020
Bixobo:

Yeah your mother taught me well
I see u have lot of respect for your mummy ..
Sounds cool to be a good child that likes giving head
BTW why did u change your logo from female to male ...is it cos I termed u hairy balls ..
Lol u no get mind sef
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by MrBONE2(m): 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2020
Ugaboy:
Greetings Nairalander, I found this bird at 5a.m, when I was tiding up the compound.

Does anyone know the name to this bird...I will like to help it stay alive or probably make it a pet.

I know it might look very small or to take care of, I don't mind...and I don't see it as a waste of resources, please any idea.
Comon Bwana don't waste much time grin

Look for clean Earth Worms and feed the little BoneBeing but if you think you can't, then start looking for it Mama or Great One of KiVuKi Land would be angry with you
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Correcton(m): 3:10pm On Sep 11, 2020
Ur village people like pounded yam na!
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by shortgun(m): 3:11pm On Sep 11, 2020
I don't think u can rear it though without the proper knowledge.
Look for the nest and put it back and stop touching it with Ur bare hands before like 2 days before putting it back.
If u don't do this the mother will reject it and it will starve to death.
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by mrkings84(m): 3:13pm On Sep 11, 2020
Its simple. Let it fly away b so doing u have save it.

A friend askede yesterday, "How do I win this bet9ja virtual games, it's sucking me dry?"
I responded, "By quitting"!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by WoundedLamb: 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2020
Ugaboy:

Hi Ugaboy,

Sorry I'm coming late. Hope the bird is still alive. Keeping a bird of that age alive is extremely difficult but here are some tips:

Providing warmth:
Put it an cage with cloth bedding and keep the cage near a burning stove (I actually prefer electric cooker to avoid smoke). Ensure there's enough shade to reduce light but allow free flow of warm air.

Feeding:
Grind dawa seed and mix it with warm water, put it in a syringe with no needle and put the pointed end it the bird's mouth and gently squeeze. The bird has a natural instinct to open its mouth so this shouldn't be a problem. However, the mixture must not be too hot or too cold, must not be too watery or too thick and you must not squeeze hard.

Handling:
Don't hold the bird the way you're holding it in the picture (with the two winds clipped behind). Firstly, pet birds are never held that. Only birds meant to be killed are held that way and they don't like it so it's not good for bonding. Secondly, this one is way too young for that. Try not to move it around so much but when you must, keep it on your palm and place the other hand on its back so it wouldn't move and fall.

Bonding:
At this age, feeding it is enough bonding exercise already. You don't have to do extra. It doesn't have a developed sense of fear, it only has the instincts to eat, so you can be the provider and claim the position of a caretaker. You'd be the mother it knows and it would never be afraid of you as an adult bird. Then, you can play with it but doing too much now could have an adverse effect. So I suggest you feed it constantly (every couple of hours), little at a time. Stay near it where it can see you all the time but resist the urge to be touchy. Make exactly the same sound each time you feed it. Be extremely gentle and never get angry or show shock even when it misbehaves. Trust will be broken at the slightest sense of fear.

Grooming:
As it grows, teach it to pick up food from your palm. You can start by feeding it with your fingers and make sure you let it see what it's eating. Then proceed to putting its mixture on your palm and encouraging it to pick it up. It will stagger but it will eventually learn. Then proceed to giving it the full seeds and water separately. Finally, offer it the food and water in containers.

Flight:
Please, don't clip its wings. Some do that but it causes a lot of emotional distress/depression in birds. You can tell by how they'd start plucking their own feathers, losing appetite and becoming less tolerant to human presence and generally less active. Don't worry, it might never really fly as high as others in the wild. If you're afraid it might fly away when you're outside, you're right! That could happen. However, if you try not to take it to a crowdy and noisy place or anywhere it could easily get startled, then it will always stick around you even when outside. If you're still scared, you could decide to keep it indoors and only bring it outside in its cage to receive sunlight occasionally.

Good luck!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by yemkoguru(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2020
Soup is ready
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Haykinsofficial: 3:56pm On Sep 11, 2020
Its called 'palm bird', not sparrow like sm1 said earlier. Yorubas called it 'eiye ega'. They normaly fly in packs, builds plenty nests on trees...
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by kamaldin(m): 4:07pm On Sep 11, 2020
This is wood pecker.
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by KossyKiss97(f): 4:30pm On Sep 11, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Op, please send it to her^ for nursing...

She's smitten as you can see.

grin
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Layksaide(m): 4:31pm On Sep 11, 2020
cruxgemmata:
Get it antibiotics for birds. Force little water down its throat. Watch and observe.

Put few grains beside it. Put it in a warm box

Smash the grain possibly to near powdery level, try and put it in a warm environment and little drop of water. No need for antibiotics, cos it's just a juvenile bird.
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Fiduciary(m): 4:50pm On Sep 11, 2020
Adara
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by jeff1607(m): 5:15pm On Sep 11, 2020
That's a male Weaver bird (finches)
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Horus(m): 5:18pm On Sep 11, 2020
Baya weaver

Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Kewe1975(m): 5:19pm On Sep 11, 2020
gasparpisciotta:
Feed her with with calcium enriched meal
how did u knw its female? vet...dktr.
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 11, 2020
mema900:
Vanity upon vanity.

If u save it, it will still die in few months time
Yes, going by your logic if you are near death on the road no one should save you because you'll die one day, last last. Very good.

Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Caleycash(m): 5:40pm On Sep 11, 2020
You can't!... that's a weaver bird, it's not a tameable bird like the Dove, so it will eventually die without its parents aid.
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by earnit3: 5:57pm On Sep 11, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by IamHonourable1: 6:17pm On Sep 11, 2020
[quote author=MajesticKris post=93800857]Village people Loading...

Keep quiet.
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Ugaboy: 6:52pm On Sep 11, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Hi Ugaboy,

Sorry I'm coming late. Hope the bird is still alive. Keeping a bird of that age alive is extremely difficult but here are some tips:

Providing warmth:
Put it an cage with cloth bedding and keep the cage near a burning stove (I actually prefer electric cooker to avoid smoke). Ensure there's enough shade to reduce light but allow free flow of warm air.

Feeding:
Grind dawa seed and mix it with warm water, put it in a syringe with no needle and put the pointed end it the bird's mouth and gently squeeze. The bird has a natural instinct to open its mouth so this shouldn't be a problem. However, the mixture must not be too hot or too cold, must not be too watery or too thick and you must not squeeze hard.

Handling:
Don't hold the bird the way you're holding it in the picture (with the two winds clipped behind). Firstly, pet birds are never held that. Only birds meant to be killed are held that way and they don't like it so it's not good for bonding. Secondly, this one is way too young for that. Try not to move it around so much but when you must, keep it on your palm and place the other hand on its back so it wouldn't move and fall.

Bonding:
At this age, feeding it is enough bonding exercise already. You don't have to do extra. It doesn't have a developed sense of fear, it only has the instincts to eat, so you can be the provider and claim the position of a caretaker. You'd be the mother it knows and it would never be afraid of you as an adult bird. Then, you can play with it but doing too much now could have an adverse effect. So I suggest you feed it constantly (every couple of hours), little at a time. Stay near it where it can see you all the time but resist the urge to be touchy. Make exactly the same sound each time you feed it. Be extremely gentle and never get angry or show shock even when it misbehaves. Trust will be broken at the slightest sense of fear.

Grooming:
As it grows, teach it to pick up food from your palm. You can start by feeding it with your fingers and make sure you let it see what it's eating. Then proceed to putting its mixture on your palm and encouraging it to pick it up. It will stagger but it will eventually learn. Then proceed to giving it the full seeds and water separately. Finally, offer it the food and water in containers.

Flight:
Please, don't clip its wings. Some do that but it causes a lot of emotional distress/depression in birds. You can tell by how they'd start plugging their own feathers, losing appetite and becoming less tolerant to human presence and generally less active. Don't worry, it might never really fly as high as others in the wild. If you're afraid it might fly away when you're outside, you're right! That could happen. However, if you try not to take it to a crowdy and noisy place or anywhere it could easily get startled, then it will always stick around you even when outside. If you're still scared, you could decide to keep it indoors and only bring it outside in its cage to receive sunlight occasionally.

Good luck!
I love this...thank you sir
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by CorleonOfSicily: 7:20pm On Sep 11, 2020
First consult village people to avoid story that touch
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by ShoeShineGuy: 7:57pm On Sep 11, 2020
Weaver birds must be nesting close to your home. This is one of their chicks. Unfortunately, it might not survive since you're not an expert at caring for birds.
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by AustinGustin: 8:29pm On Sep 11, 2020
It's a weaver bird
Re: Bird: How Can I Save This Flying Creature? by Norahlyna: 10:18pm On Sep 11, 2020
It’s the young of the bird called “THRUSH”.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Shows Off 28 Big Snakes, Calls Them Her Best Friends (photos, Video) / Nigerian Girl Flaunts Her Pet Baboon (pic/video) / Checkout The Most Dangerous DOG Breeds.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.