Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,789 members, 7,837,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

How Can We Help Ourselves? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Can We Help Ourselves? (746 Views)

N.d.u Lets Help Ourselves. / N.d.u Lets Help Ourselves. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Help Ourselves? by Odunnu: 7:56pm On Feb 24, 2011
It just occured to me that quite a number of University undergraduates depend solely on Parents/Guardians for finance/sponsor through school.
We hear regularly how our friends/siblings/cousins abroad school and work at the same time yet some of us down here think its not 'fly' or 'just not possible'.
Do you think its right or wrong?Suggest how our students can take a bit of weight off our benefactors/Parents.
Re: How Can We Help Ourselves? by Odunnu: 8:04pm On Feb 24, 2011
Getting into the system isnt the major hurdle. Remaing and graduating with good grades should be. But how would a 'poor' student meet the regular urgent financial demands?Must our parents foot all the bills, or do we resort to selling our bodies(mostly for the gurls) or being thugs and cultists?Must we fold our arms and wait for luck(by faith)
Lets discuss please.
Re: How Can We Help Ourselves? by amurx(m): 8:13pm On Feb 24, 2011
it is nt everybody atleast 90 per cent of (student) wants to but d question is that where is d employment?
Re: How Can We Help Ourselves? by stripes13(m): 8:53pm On Feb 24, 2011
Though the absence of ample job opportunities a glaring reality in our days, students can get creative without violating core values by devising means of revenue generation even if it's little at first.

The Nigerian youth, unlike in earlier days, do not believe well enough in the idea of dignity in labour. We see young Nigerians wanting to make it big all too suddenly, leading them to premature frustration and unwholesome practices that may jeopardize the possibility of future benefits. We may have to reconsider the values we live by as persons and improve the quality of such values as patience, contentment and hard-work. With wisdom and the will of the almighty, success is bound to ensure in the long run.

Back to your question. I suggest we seek out one or more ways to add value to persons/society. If this holds true, we'll have people coming back for more of the value on offer. These may be rendered service, commerce of targeted value or the sort. If you run a full time programme, you'll do better not being under the employ of one whose biz is transacted during lecture hours.

What else can I say(?); Idea is key!
Re: How Can We Help Ourselves? by Odunnu: 9:25pm On Feb 24, 2011
Without sounding arrogant or trying to show off,I beg to use myself as an illustration.
I come from a middle class family and spending money was always an issue. Every book I buy,every payment I make must have receipt to back it up. Initially, I could wait for weeks b4 a financial demand was met, not that my parents didnt have the money but we were four of us in different universities at the same time.They had to Allocate wisely.
I started off by organising tutorials after school and each student paid N20 for a 2hr lecture. It was profitable. At a point during exams, I had upto 45/50 students and I could teach different courses for 6hrs. I had regular cash.
I also was opportuned to share a room with a then governor's first daughter. She always had cash but didnt know what to do with it. With her allowance, she bought a bus and I managed the transport business for her. When she left a year b4 me, she handed over everything to me -(dash)!
I also had the daughter of sitting governor as a 'friend' then. I sold business ideas to her. With her help, some of us got opportunities of supplying stationaries, toiletries, general articles to the government house with very encouraging profit.I had classmates who doubled as photographers,event planners and make up artists. I had some who go to town, buy r'crds in large quantity and sell at profitable prices. I had some mates who made/designed cards and sold.
Ideas abound,but the effizy is killing us!
Re: How Can We Help Ourselves? by stripes13(m): 9:33pm On Feb 24, 2011
Odunnu:

Ideas abound,but the effizy is killing us!

Exactly my point. I see you've lived out the answer to your question, other may choose to learn from your ingenuity.
Re: How Can We Help Ourselves? by stripes13(m): 9:38pm On Feb 24, 2011
More so, you've built in yourself the confidence to get things done. Flowing from the positive reinforcement your experiences will offer, you'll be a management material in no time - if you're not already.

(1) (Reply)

Migraine / Abu 2011 / Eastern Europe Admission Is On!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.