Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Your Website May Have Been HACKED & You Won't Even Know! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Your Website May Have Been HACKED & You Won't Even Know! (174 Views)

Somebody Help: My Wordpress Site Has Been Hacked / 4 New Breathtaking Difficulties You Won't Escape As A Writer/Blogger[WHAT TO DO] / University Of Uyo Website Has Been Hacked. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Your Website May Have Been HACKED & You Won't Even Know! by yemionline(m): 12:49pm On Sep 14, 2020
Some time last month, I wanted to access one of my websites but to my greatest surprise, I discovered my website had been hacked.

What is this, I asked myself.

I thought i was dreaming.

I closed the website and typed in the url again, praying and hoping that I would see my webpage.

For where!

it was the same thing.

I could see my domain name load on the address bar of my browser but the content on the site was that of a completely different website.

I started sweating.

After all the work I put into building the site and creating content for it, na so everything go just waka?

I never imagined In a thousand years that this could ever happen to me.

I heard it happens to people but mehn I felt I was special, my password was secured.

God forbid!

It can't fit happen jor.

Mumu meeeeee.. In Lasisi Elenus voice.

The thing shock me, make I no lie.

Now since I wasn't sure of the extent of the hack, trying to recover my site may only mean copying some of the hackers code with my back up.

That was how i had to let the site go.

Unknown to me, the hacker had some how managed to infect my other websites as well and had injected some malicious code into them.

The websites still seemed fine when you visited them but if you tried to visit them through a third party site like google or Facebook, It redirects you to some malicious ads websites.

The funny thing was It didn't do this all the time and that was why I just kinda felt it was a virus on my phone or something else causing it.

Not until the short link plugin that I used to shorten my affiliate links started malfunctioning as well.

I cracked my brain to figure out what the issue was, I even had to take all my major affiliate links out and shorten with a third party link shortener instead.

The last straw that broke the camels back was when I tried running a facebook conversion ads recently.

That was how my cost per lead just kept going up and going up as If it was high on weed.

I trouble-shooted my funnel, but everything was fine.

It was not until someone commented on the ad and told me 'bros check your website it's redirecting me to one ads website'.

Mogbe!

Na so I take kill the ad sharperly.

So I went on youtube to search for a solution and thankfully, I was able to find one.

I had to install a plugin called wordfence.

Now I previously had a security plugin installed on my websites but for whatever reason it wasn't effective,

so I deactivated the old one.

I then scanned my website with the the new recommended plugin

I discovered so many malicious codes hiding in nooks and cranny of my website strategically positioned like you have a striker and defender on a football pitch.

Thankfully, I was able replicate the process on my remaining websites and they are all clean.

Everything now works fine and there are no more redirects to any yeye ad website.

So why did I write this long epistle you make ask?

It's just to let you know that your website could currently be hacked and you probably wouldn't even know because the website seems to work fine from your end.

It may take a visitor coming in through a google search or from another external source to realize that your websites has issues.

Take adequate precautions like:

Using strong passwords and changing them often.

Install a strong security plugin like wordfence or any other strong security plugin on your website so that if any change has been made by a hacker to the core of your website, it will be easy for you to detect it on time.

Don't say God forbid or it won't happen to me.

Take the necessary precautions to avoid losing content that you worked so hard to create.

May God help us all.
Re: Your Website May Have Been HACKED & You Won't Even Know! by Veiniously: 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2020
yemionline:
Some time last month, I wanted to access one of my websites but to my greatest surprise, I discovered my website had been hacked.

What is this, I asked myself.

I thought i was dreaming.

I closed the website and typed in the url again, praying and hoping that I would see my webpage.

For where!

it was the same thing.

I could see my domain name load on the address bar of my browser but the content on the site was that of a completely different website.

I started sweating.

After all the work I put into building the site and creating content for it, na so everything go just waka?

I never imagined In a thousand years that this could ever happen to me.

I heard it happens to people but mehn I felt I was special, my password was secured.

God forbid!

It can't fit happen jor.

Mumu meeeeee.. In Lasisi Elenus voice.

The thing shock me, make I no lie.

Now since I wasn't sure of the extent of the hack, trying to recover my site may only mean copying some of the hackers code with my back up.

That was how i had to let the site go.

Unknown to me, the hacker had some how managed to infect my other websites as well and had injected some malicious code into them.

The websites still seemed fine when you visited them but if you tried to visit them through a third party site like google or Facebook, It redirects you to some malicious ads websites.

The funny thing was It didn't do this all the time and that was why I just kinda felt it was a virus on my phone or something else causing it.

Not until the short link plugin that I used to shorten my affiliate links started malfunctioning as well.

I cracked my brain to figure out what the issue was, I even had to take all my major affiliate links out and shorten with a third party link shortener instead.

The last straw that broke the camels back was when I tried running a facebook conversion ads recently.

That was how my cost per lead just kept going up and going up as If it was high on weed.

I trouble-shooted my funnel, but everything was fine.

It was not until someone commented on the ad and told me 'bros check your website it's redirecting me to one ads website'.

Mogbe!

Na so I take kill the ad sharperly.

So I went on youtube to search for a solution and thankfully, I was able to find one.

I had to install a plugin called wordfence.

Now I previously had a security plugin installed on my websites but for whatever reason it wasn't effective,

so I deactivated the old one.

I then scanned my website with the the new recommended plugin

I discovered so many malicious codes hiding in nooks and cranny of my website strategically positioned like you have a striker and defender on a football pitch.

Thankfully, I was able replicate the process on my remaining websites and they are all clean.

Everything now works fine and there are no more redirects to any yeye ad website.

So why did I write this long epistle you make ask?

It's just to let you know that your website could currently be hacked and you probably wouldn't even know because the website seems to work fine from your end.

It may take a visitor coming in through a google search or from another external source to realize that your websites has issues.

Take adequate precautions like:

Using strong passwords and changing them often.

Install a strong security plugin like wordfence or any other strong security plugin on your website so that if any change has been made by a hacker to the core of your website, it will be easy for you to detect it on time.

Don't say God forbid or it won't happen to me.

Take the necessary precautions to avoid losing content that you worked so hard to create.

May God help us all.
True I do get notified many times expecially some people who request for guest post try to break in through guest post but I have some stuff on

(1) (Reply)

How To Add Icon To Menu Item In Ninja Menus / Holiday Offer, Be Busy With Coding! / Best Food Wordpress Themes On Themeforest For Food & Restaurant Website 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.