Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,360 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Nissan Recall Notice, What Should I Do? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Nissan Recall Notice, What Should I Do? (636 Views)

Toyota, Nissan Recall 6.5 Mn Cars Globally Over Exploding Airbag Fears / BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? / Toyota Recall Vehicles Due To Dangerous Acceleration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Recall Notice, What Should I Do? by citous(m): 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2011
Recall Reason STEERING:COLUMN
Recall Date NOV 11, 2010
Model Affected XTERRA
Potential Units Affected 500552

Recall Summary
NISSAN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002-2004 FRONTIER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 9, 2001 THROUGH OCTOBER 20, 2004, AND MODEL YEAR 2002-2004, XTERRA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 9, 2001, THROUGH JANUARY 6, 2005. OVER TIME CORROSION MAY FORM IN THE LOWER STEERING COLUMN JOINT AND LIMIT MOVEMENT OF THE JOINT. THE LIMITED MOVEMENT OF THIS JOINT MAY CREATE EXCESSIVE LOAD ON THE LOWER STEERING COLUMN SHAFT. IF THE VEHICLE CONTINUES TO BE DRIVEN IN THIS CONDITION, IT MAY LEAD TO CRACKING OF THE SHAFT DURING LOW SPEED MANEUVERS THAT REQUIRE LARGE STEERING INPUTS.

Consequence
THE SHAFT MAY BREAK WHICH COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL DURING THESE LOW SPEED MANEUVERS INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
THE STEERING COLUMN SHAFT AND JOINT WILL BE REPLACED WITH A SHAFT OF A DIFFERENT DESIGN. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Now my question is; If the car was sent to Nigeria, is there a dealership that honors this recall work too. I called them here and they demand that I call those in Nigeria and when I did I got a run around. Someone with knowledge of this kinda issue pls advice. sad
Re: Nissan Recall Notice, What Should I Do? by KunleA2(m): 11:28am On Feb 26, 2011
You are better off fixing yourself. The issue is that lets say you bought the car from the US and send to Naija, the Nissan dealer in Naija is not selling the US specs.

As far as Nissan is concerned, no US spec car is in Nigeria. At least not officially sold there so they are not obligated to address the issue in Naija. They are only obligated to address the issue in countries they sold the cars in.

Otherwise, they will have to be chasing down every Nissan in all part of the world. Once its shipped out, its then yours.

The only way they will get away with it is that they will tell you to bring the vehicle to any US dealer. Which is actually easier for you to fix the things yourself.

I hope it helps.

(1) (Reply)

Honda Bull Dog For Sale Registered And Going For 400k / Cherry Motor For Sale / 2008 Honda Accord For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.